• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP/INTJ? (Other suggestions welcome.)

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've recently read a couple of articles on the functions that made me doubt my type. I initially typed as an INFJ when I took a (very poor) MBTI test, but I didn't see the secondary Fe and so went to look into it (after a while). I identified with Ti and Ne after reading Lenore Thomson's book, but then I found articles describing Ni and Te and they sounded almost equally like they fit.

My general personality:
- Determined (work towards goals, such as finishing a book)
-Future-orientated (always thinking about what's next, considering the future, making vague plans etc.)
-Absent-minded (always misplacing/losing things, even money, but I tend not to forget appointments)
-Reasonably generous (I don't mind spending money on people I like, but I resent having to give it to people I don't)
-Have been called 'serious' and 'intense' before.
-Find making friends very difficult (I have no real motivation unless they're very interesting or, as it is in university, I'm going to need them for group work in the future)
-Perfectionistic (I can't leave something alone until it's finished to a high standard - but mild OCD runs in the family)
-Hard on myself (I didn't realise until my mum commented that I need to give myself a break)
-Have a lot of interests, but only a couple I really focus on.
-Used to be very shy and a doormat when I was younger (due to bullying and growing up the younger twin/youngest in the family)
-I'm not good at knowing what I need (I don't notice being thirsty/warm etc. for a long time)
-I tend to answer questions without reading the whole thing in tests (which can lead to losing marks) because my eyes don't move as fast as my brain.

More info: I'm currently in university studying Japanese and planning to do an MA in either Translation or Creative Writing. I have suffered from an anxiety disorder until reasonably recently. I have a slightly stressful home life (my sister's recovering from a mental illness). I hated school, but loved college and I like university. My work is pretty much my life and it's taken years for me to start actually hanging out with my friends properly. I tend to pick things up quickly, except for things like Maths and piano.

Not sure what else to put. Feel free to ask questions if you need more info.
Thanks in advance!

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I can identify with your entire list of characteristics and consider myself an INFJ. I see that you've put INTP in your profile. I could see you being INTJ as well. In other words: I don't know, but I'm curious what other people will make of this.

What would you do in this situation: You are writing an important essay: deadline is tomorrow. Without warning one of your best friends suddenly shows up on your doorstep, crying, your friend has just been dumped by your friend's long term partner and is in need of some serious TLC. How are you going to handle this situation and why?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'd probably bring them into the kitchen and call up my sister or another friend and get them to come over. Once they were over, I'd explain I had some work that had to be done and leave them to it. It would depend on how far through the essay I was, though, and how much it was worth (if I was nearly done, I'd probably leave it for an hour or so, but if I wasn't and it was worth a lot, then I'd have to go do it). Depends on the person too - I only have two close friends, so I'd feel pretty bad about not giving them some advice or tea or something. If I like people, I don't mind going out my way so much, but if I just think they're okay, I'd be less likely to hang around.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound like a J, INJ to be precise rather than an INTP though I don't have enough info to work with to be sure.

Maybe you could fill out a questionare with detailed answers so then typing you would be easier.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identify with many of your characteristics, but my type is a bit uncertain as well. I agree you seem more INJ, but then I think I'm probably a P (in the middle) and I identify with your J characteristics. Who knows. What type do you feel resonates with you and why?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, sounds good. I found a questionnaire on Personality Cafe, so I'll fill it in and see.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
-Mildly stressed, but nothing serious. Aged 20, female, a bit tired.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?
7704380682_4da6df716d.jpg
6004664548_32c083ea9f_m.jpg

I much prefer the first one, as it's simpler but more effective. The second looks like it could be an advertisement in a magazine and is just of someone eating pastries. The first has a better meld of colours and is of an aurora (I think).

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?
-I'm quick to learn and can be enthusiastic when I enjoy the subject matter of a course/conversation/idea. I prefer to work by myself, but don't mind criticism from other people. I usually have a vague idea of what I want to do, and achieve it to a certain extent. I'm not very good in retail jobs, because I can't stand the tedium and tend to zone out (I also have a quiet voice, so it makes it difficult for customers to hear me). I am creative and enjoy creating things, especially in writing or drawing. I like languages because of the complexity. I tend to overwork and run myself down before I realise I need a break, but then I have periods of not being able to focus at all (usually a couple of days). I like reading a lot, partly for studying for my own work and partly because I enjoy escaping to another world for a while. I like photography, but have never really had time to get into it, My workspace is a sort of organised chaos - I know where everything is, but it looks like a mass of paper to an outsider. I'm mildly obsessive when something gets my attention (i.e. listening to one song over and over). I like collecting small statues and turtle-related things.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?
-I'd like to be more socially capable, more charismatic and more able to live in this world as it is. I'd like to not have to sleep or eat, except when I felt like it because it takes up my time. I'd like to be more aware of the world sometimes, because I tend to miss things due to thinking too much. I'd like to be less clumsy. I'd like to be smarter, too, so I could do more alongside my university course without too much effort.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?
-People tend to see me differently depending on how close they are to me. My family see me as hard-working, but friendly and vaguely witty. My close friends see me as quite friendly, but a bit distant, I think, as I'm always busy with something. They also see me as quieter than my family do, because I get tired quickly, which makes me go quiet. Classmates just see me as quiet and quite intelligent (somewhere around 2nd in my class). People I don't know... Well, I wouldn't know. I don't think about them enough to work it out.
The discrepancies would come from my shyness/quietness and lack of motivation to talk to a lot of people. If I like someone, I can be very friendly and kind and don't mind getting hugs from them, but it's reversed for people I don't like.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.
Learning/knowledge, happiness, changing things that don't work, people I like, achieving my goals, appreciating things. Things like that. I think it's because they're my major concerns in life, so they matter.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?
-I can get slightly depressed for a while if things change too much. A good example would be moving to university, when I got quite homesick and depressed for a week or so, then got work to do and got over it. If I have something to keep my mind busy, I can adapt to change very easily. It really depends on what the change is. Generally, though, I'll just give myself a couple of days, then force myself to get back to everything.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
-I get over-emotional and snap at people. I tend to withdraw completely and focus on things in my mind. I get very resentful of having to do anything I don't want to/don't see as important and can be very unreasonable. Mostly, I tend to keep all my emotions in until the last minute, when they explode out (if I'm pushed far enough, or they just kind of fizzle out). With deaths in the family, I just withdrew and wouldn't talk about it, but cried by myself until I got over it, then I was fine. With moving away, I got very resentful towards anyone who asked me to do anything I didn't like, but got over it after a couple of days. I probably act that way because I don't like dealing with problems I can't solve - if I have no control over the problem, I can't do anything about it, so I have to learn to accept it.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
-I engage and can be quite talkative (although that's rare). I tend to give things my all and work very hard. I can be humorous on and off, if I'm in a good mood. An example would probably be writing, when I really get into the flow of the story and can write for hours uninterrupted. Also, playing certain board games like Balderdash and Win,Lose or Draw, where I work out exactly how to do something. Also, learning Japanese, which I see as an endless challenge and can study without getting bored of it.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?
-Not keen on big groups, as they're noisy and no one can hear anyone else. One-to-one depends on my mood - if I'm in a quiet mood, I'll keep cutting off and killing the conversation, whereas if I'm in a relatively lively mood, I'll try to talk about interesting things with the person. I tend to be fine by myself for the majority of the time, unless I have to do group work with classmates, then I try to make sure we're all doing our bit, or just do the whole thing to make sure it works.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?
-I don't really think society works. It's not well thought-out and only caters for a very select area of the population. I find social norms - such as hugging to say goodbye - odd and don't like having to do it. I like some traditions like Christmas, but hate others, like Valentine's Day or Easter. I think things should be done on an individual basis and lumping everything into poorly done categories means nothing quite fits. I'm not concerned much by society as a whole, though, except for it having control over what I can and can't do (which is ridiculous). I'd prefer to go and live away from it.
I don't think people can be viewed as a whole - there are too many of them and too many differences. It wouldn't work to lump everyone together.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?
I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get in my way. If authority figures mess things up, they should be fired and new ones brought in. I only really see authority as something that does more harm than good and never really worked itself out. I tend to work around authority, with loopholes mostly. If I ever got influential enough, I'd probably try to change it.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?
-Order is when you can find things, or when things work efficiently. Chaos is when there is nothing to hold onto (figuratively) and you're completely lost. I think of chaos as something that cannot be ordered and shouldn't be - it's chaos. If you organise chaos it's no longer what it was. Order works the same way. Of course, the perception of chaos and order in the world don't seem entirely correct and I think chaos is just as much use as order day-to-day.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?
-I fear having to go out into the world, as I can't fit into it. I'll have to wear a mask and smile and nod at things I think are ridiculous, and I'll have to stay in society. I don't want to have no control over my life and I don't to be limited. I can't stand restrictions. I react by trying to find subtle ways around the limits and working my own way as often as I can.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?
-Completion, achieving goals, seeing people I like happy, being happy myself, working out something entirely new. I think I'd just like everything to work, really, and to make discoveries.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) writing, drawing, reading, thinking, researching, learning something new. I get energised by my brain being active.
b) going out with friends, especially at night. I don't go to clubs or pubs and only go to people's houses for film/game nights every so often because they tire me out. Also, jogging (swimming is fine but jogging is so, so boring).

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.
I've been interested in the MBTI for a couple of years now, so it would help to know what type I am so I can look at it more accurately. I think I could be INTJ, INFJ, INTP or something. I'm not too sure at the moment, as, with more research, the theory seems to hold less and less water so I'm trying to adapt it. I think I'd like to be an Se using type, but there's no way I am, unless it's inferior, because I'm so out-of-touch with things.
My enneagram is 9w1.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?
Not really. There's extra information in the first post.