• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
Your brother-in-law sounds too confident, ignorant and controlling. I think he's like those bosses from the movies; the guys spitting while they shout, using their co-workers in really bad ways, cheating a lot, etc.. Though I'd always thought those were ESTJs...

As for your niece... Well, I'm always annoyed when people are trying to impress me, and I'm equally annoyed when people brag about themselves. Comparing her to me, I don't brag and I don't try to impress people.

Oh I couldn't agree more, and you definitely have a point with those annoyances. I was presenting two extremes of character and how one single personality type can vary so greatly- which is very important because there are elements of a human you may attribute to a personality, when you should attribute them to common character. A snake is a snake, an asshole is an asshole, a gentleman a gentleman, and there is no personality based excuse for the mistreatment of another human. There may be misunderstanding because of how we see the world, but if there is no respect, it shows.
Am I making sense?
The little niece is only 8 and though I'll try to influence her, she isn't exactly in the best hands. Her fate is her own though. She was being actually quite innocent. Her parents are the sort to push these things onto her, so she feels that she needs to perpetuate. a mess. just a mess.

What I did want to give you advice for is general to the NT/newbie/ENTJ
You are going to feel uncomfortable and probably a little attacked in this process. You will probably look at the other types and compare those with yours, then the people you know will be typed by you and you will feel that you have a real grip on it all. You will be superior, and your ego will be validated because as an ENTJ, they will tell you you are special, and so you are, but just as all the rest. There is no one above, and no one below, just a bunch of people that are alien to you.
There are different "smarts", and if you are secure in yourself you will let go and let it all happen. You will be wrong about the types of a lot of your friends. -at least, you won't understand all the nooks of their types. Take your time. Be aware that it will change some of your perceptions for the better if you let it.

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
[MENTION=16710]Arkigos[/MENTION] I was talking about "Lost" today and I had a thought: maybe you meant something like that by your description of how Ps act? The "everything has it's own place" and "universal harmony" parts... "You can change what's gonna happen, the universe has everything set already" and "everything happens for a reason." Although that sounds very constricting... If you have seen Lost, I'm thinking Season 3 here, Desmond's predictions about Charlie's death. "You can't change it" is implied as well.

How you worded that strikes me in a very NJ way (to me, I may be biased). A connection, a vision, an interpretation occurred to you and you internalized it to some constructive conclusion. This is totally Ni: well-formed (though sometimes subjective) abstract connections.

Sometimes NTPs feel this way.. but not as a rule. Our trust in natural order sometimes leads us to the conclusion of inevitability.. and NTPs may act this way in certain situations. However, philosophically we may not believe in it....

You may see an NTP working on that level, though... thinking in that way. Sitting there debating in your own mind whether future events are perfectly deductible given perfect knowledge or not? This is a pretty stereotypical NTP musing (though probably not exclusive). Either way I think it denotes a lack of desire to impose our will on the structures of reality... but rather to understand them and document them. Einstein is a great example of an INTP... his goal was simply to correctly see what exists through proper categorizations. His ego was not tied up in the vision or interpretation... but rather in the comprehension.

I guess that is why NTP is sometimes seen as Deconstructive while NTJ is seen as Constructive... Ni Te seeks to find or create order in the world by creating connections between things to build up to a hidden Truth.. while Ti Ne seeks to break down connections and isolate concepts from one another to find raw Truth. I am pretty sure this is consistent with the functions.

This is hard to describe. But a good example is how we are both approaching this. I am stripping down and organizing the crap out all these ideas. This goes here and this goes there. Constantly defining terms and pulling things apart (without judging them) in the belief that once everything is organized, the natural truth will reveal itself.

You should be trying to find connections between what I say and other things you've heard or encountered (external evidence or similar situations) to construct a unified conclusion. I don't totally understand this approach but I do know it's not like mine.

Totally opposite ways of thinking.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
First and foremost - feel free to ask any questions.

I have always thought I am INTP, liked ENTPs, wanted to be INTJ, thought ENTJs are stupid. Reasons, respectively: Personality tests said so; they are fun, deduced from the movie character "Iron Man"; they achieve something; in the movies they are presented as those spitting fat guys, cleaning sweat from their foreheads and ordering everyone around to do everything. However, I have investigated more about the types recently, and I've found out that my information about the types wasn't all that well presented, including INTPs. I am even in doubt of what type I am!

I think this problem is partly here because I haven't had much experience yet. I'm 21, all I did was finish high-school. I don't have a job because they job market can offer me jobs like carrying crates or working the cash register in a supermarket and I'm not up for that. I didn't go to college because we had no money to pay for it. I didn't do good in school because I wasn't interested in the out-dated, non-English and pointless subjects presented there, I might have spend 8 hours studying throughout 12 years of school, I haven't ever read a book appointed by the literature class, I have also skipped school quite a lot, especially in latter grades. In short, my grades were either very low or very high, rarely I got something in the middle, and so my end result was very average, which meant me not getting free scholarship. Most people in my city are either emotionally-driven, tradition and respect-driven or elitists (you have no money, you're inferior to us). The latter is relatively rare. I also do not like partying, getting drunk, using drugs, so I have almost nothing in common with most people and I haven't found a friend or a bunch of friends with whom I would have something in common. I wouldn't mind hanging out with a bunch of people if I was in a good physical shape to confront their irrational thinking and get into rationally driven arguments with them, but I like my health too much, considering most people are rather athletic and primal. What I wanted to say is that I have little experience interacting with people, however I do have imagination and I'm able to determine what would be the most likely scenario. I can also relate to movies, therefore I will be relating to situations portrayed in various movies when describing myself.

So! Now that we have cleared the basis of my description, let's get to the actual description, shall we?

I am generally nice to people when they are nice to me (post office worker, when asking questions and all), a clerk at a coffee store when buying coffee, etc.. However, I can't stand when someone is directing something illogical or irrational towards me, enforcing an opinion, making a decision that involves me, telling me to do something, etc.. I question those things, I often am sarcastic and very argumentative. Sometimes I switch sides to have fun and see if the person notices and what he would say, and I win the argument 99% of the time, even if I may not know much about the subject (this is a real life experience). If interacting with someone unknown and the approach is nice, I may even appear a little nicer version of Iron Man. When I was younger and I knew the people I was talking to (I was VERY shy, my parents didn't expose me to any kids for their ESFJ-based reasons), people used to say that I "don't look for words in my pocket," which I think means that I can talk my way out of anything, with which I do agree based on the little experience I had.

I view the world very logically, I do not run it through any value systems or emotions in my mind, I just view it realistically. In situations requiring judgement, I consider all the possibilities; while unrealistic possibilities come to my mind, I do think and decline them realizing that that is an unlikely outcome. When I'm exposed to a new situation, I make a judgement when I receive the first very few facts and then tailor it according to the information flow that I get from the unraveling events; my judgement is dynamic, although it is often correct before I gather all that additional information.

I have mentioned that I do not like parties, getting drunk, using drugs, I also don't like sports or any physical activity. I have also mentioned that I dislike people making decisions under the influence of tradition and strict rules or emotion, as I like rationality. I can talk to them, but I get annoyed rather quickly by their lack of logic. I don't know if that means that I'm an introvert, because I do not mind talking to people with similar interests. In fact, I absolutely love sharing my opinion and the flow of various possibilities I get to my mind. When I was in highschool, I used to sometimes hang out with this ExFx guy. He got a new job as a night shift clerk and I went to check it out, I was bored because my PC was slow and I couldn't do what required resources, and that was what i wanted to do at the moment. I was also surprised that he got the job, as he's a pothead who's moto is "have fun, die young." After I arrived, I have spend probably around 3 hours talking, non-stop, about various stuff, software, future of the computers, world war 2, apocalypse, light future, some movie, games, hardware, you name it. He barely opened his mouth, and he looked interested, as I was shooting creative and unique (at least to me) ideas. I stopped when he was falling asleep because it's a nightshift and it's his first day. I probably would've talked for another 2 hours. I also would like to talk to a group of people about things like that (intellectual conversations, theorizing, etc.), or maybe even in front of an audience.

This is my ideal future: an interactive big house in which I can fit a lot of stuff, including a server room; a quality car that i like; a bunch of computers, hardware and other stuff like that; a job that makes my ideas see the world, like a software company or a video game company where I could manage the team and make sure that what they are doing is the software or game how I want it to look like in a non-despotic way how people seem to say most companies are managing such things; either no girlfriend (not wife!) or a girlfriend who completely understands me and doesn't do illogical things, but also can respond when I'm talking to her in a somewhat minorily emotional way; no pets; enough money to buy what I want; no travels; possibly funding some big project or working as a side-project on one myself (that I am interested in, not that benefits the humanity).

I see myself as brutally honest (unless there is serious consequences, like getting hit in the face) guy, who has very high yet realistic standards. Someone who has a lot of ideas and is motivated by the need to get them out of his head to the real world. Someone who is nice as long as people are not being irrational or stupid. Someone who prefers being sarcastic and likes irony but knows the limits and mostly predicts actions of the others in certain situations. Someone who is able to see things in both light and dark sight, with great analytical skills. Someone with little friends due to the differences of logic/emotion/tradition. Someone who likes arguing and winning the arguments. Someone who likes talking about his ideas and both realistic and unrealistic (utopian and chaotic, apocalyptic) possibilities. Someone who could manipulate someone to benefit himself if needs be, however prefers to be honest. Someone who respects individuality and strives for freedom (not answering to someone else or rules). Someone who likes figuring things out. Someone who likes change and is open to new ideas.

My ultimate life goal is to satisfy my needs, which is equivalent to live an interesting life.

I guess I covered enough, though I am confident that I have missed quite a few things.

INTP. When an NTJ writes, each sentence is very pointed.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
What do you mean by "pointed?" Could you give an example or a comparison?

They say things very efficiently and with a lot of confidence. The overall effect is of someone who you would not even try to argue with, not necessarilly because they are right just because they are not only 100% sure, but very sharp about it.

This is the exact opposite impression I get from your posts in this thread!

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
What about other threads? If I was sure about my type, I wouldn't have created this thread in the first place. I'm sure that I'm an NT, but I'm not sure about the other two letters. ;)

I'm not just talking about your type-related question, but the general air of your post int his thread. Whatsmore I was brought here by reading your sig after reading another thread, at which point I thought "I bet he's INTP, let me verify that".

NTJ's are short, sharp and to the point. Even when they ask a question, they are very specific, and not speculative.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
So what you're saying that if I was an INTJ, I would've entitled it "am I an INTJ?" instead of "what's my type?"

No I'm saying you would have a generally different writing style throughout the thread. Like I said NTJ's are efficient: short, sharp and to the point. My question to you: would you describe yourself that way?

I don't mean it in a bad way, society favors those traits but really, life as an xxTP is much better IMO. We just need to develop our Fe enough to trick society into letting us break its rules, then there's no stopping us!:D

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
You can trick the society with your T and N, Fe would mean caring, which means no tricking. Unless you're the evil Fe. :D

I don't think Fe means caring, it may just means understanding in order to "get along". At least that's how I see it

Anyway, could you give me a situation on which I would comment? I think I'd answer your question much better for you to understand that way.

OK it was kind of a rhetorical question I'm sorry. From your posts here, I would say you're very specualtive, and have a relaxed, conversational style. I don't see you as at all NTJish here.

Of course maybe if you had to write a work email I'm sure you could be very "to the point". But is it your preferred style of communication? If so, why where are you writing so NTPish? Even by Page 7 you are still happilly, calmly, speculating about your type, second-guessing yourself, etc. An NTJ would hate to appear so unsure IMO.

I'm sorry man I don't know if I can help you more than this! I've given my two cents, all I can say is, I vote NTP, 100%. Hopefully other people can give you a better insight.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My thoughts: ENTJ, mostly because [MENTION=16710]Arkigos[/MENTION]' posts convinced me.
Addition to the ENTJ suggestion:

When people ask me for an advice, my main goal is not to give them an advice but to find out what they think for my personal curiosity. I don't tell them what to do, I ask questions. I genuinely don't care what they're gonna do. I may tell them what I'd do if I want to end the conversation and the person didn't get my last cue, but that's the closest I get to telling people how they should act... Assuming that their decision is not affecting me, if it does, depending on the situation, I may convince the person to act the way I want him to act.

I'm not sure if that's very ENTJ, or even if that's a J thing to do.
That's incredibly Ni, and more T than F, in my opinion. Also, one of my INTJ friends does that to me sometimes; that style of manipulation for the sake of intellectual gain is something that I have seen almost exclusively out of NTJs.

Had a really good conversation with [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] a while ago about how NTJs are, in a sense, either never trolling, or constantly trolling, and I think that convo/concept could be beneficial to you -- though Zara would summarize it better than I.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem like an INTP e9 to me, heavy on Ne.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Honestly, I don't know much/anything about you except that I've felt you've been posting too much lately.

I don't really care for new people.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Why too much, because I'm new? :huh:

I just feel like I've been seeing your posts a lot, and I don't really care to read them.

I know nothing about you, you have no avatar, and probably several other reasons.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honestly, I don't know much/anything about you except that I've felt you've been posting too much lately.

I don't really care for new people.
:laugh:

I guess it was worth a shot, anyway!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Do you have to know someone personally to read their posts? :D

I've been reducing my time spent here as is, and so new people, unless there's something particularly interesting about them, do not warrant my time.

Why does it matter that I have no avatar? :huh:

It gives me less information by which to evaluate whether or not you might be worth my time.

Having a good avatar might make you interesting enough to pay attention to.

Having a bad one will give me reason to dislike you.

Having none will simply invite me to ignore you.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Also, your lack of avatar, along with your username, along with what I have seen of your posting, all make me think you're likely a worthless NTP.

Anyway, that's all I have to say.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Would I ask it if it was? :huh:

Well, it could be obvious objectively, but not obvious to you.

Are you unaware that I was implying that INTPs tend to write posts I find tl;dr?

Or are you asking why it is that they do, or why it is I find them to often be that way?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Zarathustra, why must you continually clutter threads up with posts that manage to be both content-free and antagonistic? You've made 9 posts in this thread to tell someone they're not worth your time to post. NINE!
Jesus.
The problem here is that we have not properly delineated the difference between NP and NJ. I am now fairly confident of which you are.

Confident because you have a bad algorithm... and confident because I don't think you will care.

To accomplish this task, I am going to have to channel David Keirsey for the duration of this post and focus on some words. May his spirit be with me.

The NJ orders the world around them and the NP organizes it. The importance is the word Order and Organize. To Order is Constructive and to Organize is Deconstructive. The Organizer does not judge... it merely categorizes and processes. The world sees the Organizer as an informative consultant. The Orderer judges the world and exerts its will upon the world. The world sees the Orderer as a critic and an overlord/leader.

The goal of the Orderer and the Organizer are different. The Orderer seeks for the world to make sense and to be in its best state. The Orderer does not trust the natural order of the world. And who is to deduce what constitutes 'sense' and what is the best state? The Orderer, of course - a pure will. The Organizer seeks for everything in the world to have it's place and to do what it does best, seeking not to manipulate the natural order of the world, but to discover it and tap into it. 'Sense' and the best state of the world already exist, they say, hidden by ignorance. The Organizer feels they are incapable of exerting their will upon the world. The notion is absurd. The Organizer is simply a vessel - a pure mind.
I think you are too rigid in your reading. Keirsey labels INTPs as Architects, after all.
For Architects, the world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained - and re-designed. External reality in itself is unimportant, little more than raw material to be organized into structural models. What is important for Architects is that they grasp fundamental principles and natural laws, and that their designs are elegant, that is, efficient and coherent.
Architects are very much interested in transforming and moulding and reimagining their environment. (Think Le Corbusier). Even the Socrates you idolise was subversive and sought to undermine rather than simply elucidate. Socrates was also vehemently opposed to sophistry (the triumph of style over substance). Yet you suggest that INTPs care only about process and not results. This is not true. We care about process because a flawless process leads to flawless results. Just as a correct conclusion must follow given correct premises and rigorous reasoning. To be obsessed with logical correctness but indifferent to the end result - would be monumentally stupid. (Which, as a rule, we are not.)
That is not to say that the design must be flawlessly translated into reality. The design itself IS the end result. (This might sound like a contradiction, but any INTP will recognise that it is not).

I am fairly certain you are an xNTJ (tentative guess ENTJ) and a narcissist. Take that as you will.
I see no evidence of iNtuition at work in this character at all. He is resolutely concrete and utterly id-driven. +1 on the narcissism. I can also see evidence of OCD, even autistic traits. The obsession with securing "quality food" is genuinely bizarre.
Given this, MBTI type becomes moot.