• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I am confused. What is my type? (strong Ni, weak Fe?)

Har

Hello!
A friend introduced me to MBTI. I took some free tests but I always get different results. Some days ago I learned that it is not about I or E, N or S and so on but about functions. I took my first functional test, but the result was confusing again. A friend said I should do it again when I was depressed, happy or something else.
So I took it again and again and again (depressed, happy, in the morning, in the evening). The only thing what is alwas the same: strong Ni, weak Fe. All the other functions are somewhere in between (good use or limited use, but never the same).
When I read about the functions I always understand Ni (how it works for myself) but I never understand Fe and how it works. The other functions are somewhere in between. I am unsure about it.

Which type could that be? Strong Ni, weak Fe: ENTJ, INTJ? Maybe I should write something about myself. I read a lot of things in this forum, so I try to write as many different things as I could.

being emotional
My best friend is an ENFJ. She always cries by sad films, feels deeply, is always in love and every douche bag she meets is her prince charming. I am not this way. Sometimes she says I am unemotional but I would disagree. I think I am normal. I never cry in public, true, I cry very rarely by sad movies (maybe 3 in my whole life). But I can get very enthusiastic with ideas, thoughts, projects. And I can get very angry (destroying things, being rude).

school, university
I was good in school and I am good in university. I never really failed in any subject. At university I took different classes (ancient languages, philosophy, math, physics, biochemistry, economics, education, etc.). I was unsure what I wanted to be but I was good in everything (maybe because of my high IQ, somewhere between 150 and 160).
Maybe I wanted to be something social (teacher, psychiatrist, physician), maybe something with economics (lawyer, economist), maybe something with sciences (computer scientist, engineer). I worked for free at schools, hospitals, made art, everything. After three years I know I want to be something with science and I study now computer science and philosophy. I like it.

hobbies
I love studying, reading and writing. I published a bit poetry and short stories. I love walking in nature and cooking (but I do not experiment, I always cook the same), I love discussions. I hate shopping, boring social visits by family.

people
No one would say I am a people person. I am not shy, I can speak very good in public and free.
Most people tell me later that they thought I am an arrogant person, but then they realized that I am "cool/laconic". Some say I have my own charm (in German we call it brittle charm, is where something like this in English?).
I use a very simple language but I can also speak "academic talk", I am very good in explaining complicated things (math, philosophy) simple so that everyone can understand it. Most people say it is easy and interesting to talk with me.
Most people think that I am a honest person and very direct. But to tell the truth: I tend to lie about certain things. For example: Friend makes a party, I do not want to got, I say I am ill. I do not want to hurt their feelings.
Some examples from the recent past. My friend wrote a perfect short story. She wanted to send it to a contest but was unsure. So she said: I send it, if you send your text too. My text was not ready, so I told her, I would send it but I never did. She is now in the finale round and I am very proud about her.
I lie also about failings. If I was to lazy to catch the bus: My neighbor needed help. If my other text was to bad for a different writing contest: I never send it in. I am bad at failing.
I also tend to manipulate people for their own good. I would not call it manipulation, I try to show them the ideas and thoughts they need to make right decisions. (Leaving abusive boyfriend, change the subject of your studies, new job, etc.) I never say something like: Your boyfriend is a bad person. I say something like: "Why is he doing this? What do you think about this? What was that about?" Most of the times I am successful (my mother has a new job, my boyfriend studies law, my best friend is married to a nice guy).
I also tend to have a strong gut feeling. After a little time I can say why a friendship or relationship will fail. In 9 of 10 cases I am correct.

I do not know what I should write else.

So, what do you think? Does that sound like strong Ni, weak Fe? And which type?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, it's hard to say for sure with the info you provided. Do you have an example of your test results? Do you relate to any of these temperament types or interaction styles? If so, describe how. What stood out to you, and what did you disagree with?

Strong Ni and weak Fe could imply INTJ, ENTJ, ISTP, or ISFP. Limiting it to those four types, I would say you sound more INTJ'ish, maybe ISTP'ish. The way you describe your manipulation sounds pretty similar to how the INTJ's would describe their own manipulation, but that's just an observation, not a rule.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds very typical ISTP to me, but it's quite vague - other types might also apply.

(in German we call it brittle charm, is where something like this in English?
If I'm understanding this correctly, a similar expression might be "he/she's a character" - strong personality, basically, with some clear negative and positive aspects)

Har

Thanks for your respond. :hi:

I am sure about pragmatic role. Absolutely. And the responding type, but not always. If I am completely alone in a room with strangers I have no problem with initiating contact

Language is difficult. When I am bored I tend to concrete language (pleasant memories and feelings), but when I am concentrate it is more abstract language. And I really talk more in abstract language and not about memories or how things feel, taste, etc. Maybe more abstract language with daydreaming phases like everyone. ;)

As a teenager (and child) I always used directing communications but most people consider it to be rude. If I have the time and nerves I try to use informing communications but under stress I normally fail. When I am really upset I can tend to victim talk but I try to suppress it. Hard to say.

So, let's say: directing communications, responding type - Chart the course
abstract language or concrete language, pragmatic role - Artisan, Improviser or Rational, Theorist.
That would be INTJ or ISTP.

I never had ISTP, I have to read the description.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So can you relate strongly to either of these descriptions?

Artisan/Improviser (Concrete and Pragmatic): Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. (ISFP, ISTP, ESFP, ESTP)

Rational/Theorist (Abstract and Pragmatic): Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. (INTP, INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So can you relate strongly to either of these descriptions?

Artisan/Improviser (Concrete and Pragmatic): Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. (ISFP, ISTP, ESFP, ESTP)

Rational/Theorist (Abstract and Pragmatic): Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. (INTP, INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ)
Ha, I relate more to the second one.

If you're trying to choose between INTJ and ISTP, the biggest difference I see is that INTJs often have giant sticks up their butt.

Kidding, but only partially. ISTPs tend to be more relaxed. Did you spend more time in high school studying, or pretending you were studying but actually doing something fun?

Har

ISTP is really interesting.

I am not a great athlete or very sporty but I like running and yoga. I really enjoy it and it feels like I am one with everything.
Another thing that I can relate to is "being a troubleshooter". Happens very often and I also get phone calls from friends and relatives who have troubles (like "OMG! I had a deer accident" or "I get a letter from a lawyer, what should I do?").

About the weaknesses: I really tend to have friends who live like I do. They are all students, writers, scientists. I have problems to talk to relatives who do different things and would never choose someone like this as a friend. I do not think other people are dumb or strange, I just can not relate to them.
Under stress I also show very strong emotions, true.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha, I relate more to the second one.

If you're trying to choose between INTJ and ISTP, the biggest difference I see is that INTJs often have giant sticks up their butt.

Kidding, but only partially. ISTPs tend to be more relaxed. Did you spend more time in high school studying, or pretending you were studying but actually doing something fun?

Hah, true. I realized that was pretty vague AFTER I submitted the post. :tongue:

Anyways, [MENTION=16512]Har[/MENTION] try reading this article and see if it gives you any insight

Har

I do not have to study hard. But I love to study for fun. For example: When my ancient Greek course was finished I started to read more and more books in all the dialects. I did not stop improving my skill just because I had finished the exam.
That is one thing I do not understand about ISTP, this action thing. I love to read books and watch movies. I never get bored with that. And I am not adventurous. My friends make fun about then I decline their party offers or going climbing or something like that. They say I am old inside. (I do not know how to translate what they mean. :dry:)

Har

I read the article. I think I can relate more to the INTJ/INTP-thing. But it is more gut feeling.

Maybe I tell stories and create images with language. I am not sure about that. (ISTP-thing)
"Joy of doing." I do not get it. Does not sound right. (no Improviser?)
But I need to feel competent. (Theorists?)

Har

I started reading more about INTJ. Maybe I should post some quotes and write what I think about it.

However, their primary interest is not understanding a concept, but rather applying that concept in a useful way. Unlike the INTP, they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully. I tend to act more like an INTP. I studied a lot of things just for fun. Some things I never used in real life.
All the other things can fit but there is nothing I would say: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ME!
And when I read the things INTJ write in forums or blogs I can not identify with it.

Maybe I should read more descriptions of all types. :unsure: Everything is so confusing. :D

Har

I started reading more about INTJ. Maybe I should post some quotes and write what I think about it.

However, their primary interest is not understanding a concept, but rather applying that concept in a useful way. Unlike the INTP, they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully. I tend to act more like an INTP. I studied a lot of things just for fun. Some things I never used in real life.
All the other things can fit but there is nothing I would say: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ME!
And when I read the things INTJ write in forums or blogs I can not identify with it.

Maybe I should read more descriptions of all types. :unsure: Everything is so confusing. :D

Har

I found an example of my test results. I think I took the test last weak.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (24)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.6)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************** (28.8)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************* (49)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************** (23.6)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************** (18.6)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (39)
excellent use

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Based on that monster Ni score you must be either an SP or an NJ. Are you more introverted or extraverted and more of a thinker or feeler?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In case you consider INTP, this profile write up is perhaps the best one yet : A description of the INTP Personality Type by Paul James

The overlap of development level of functions & the preference of usage makes for more of the conundrum you seem to be facing.
As for INTJ v/s INTP a starting point can be if you can figure out if you put structure first and organization later to fit a vision as you see it (experiencing a 'fog' before clarity dawns on you), as opposed to feeling a need to think and understand and then to follow permutations and combinations to reach a point where an approximate certainty is reached.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on your function scores and your update, I'd lean more towards INTJ now, for what that's worth.