• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My boyfriend: ESTJ or ENTJ?

Catzilla

Just can't tell what he is since he seems to have attributes from both types. Here are the things about him to consider:

-He requires a bit more explanation of abstract concepts in order to understand them.

-He's generally a fast learner of things he sets his mind on.

-He is normally unconcerned with symbolism. He doesn't feel the need to analyze everything. For example, he once took a photography class and had to write an essay about the deeper meaning of certain pieces of art. I had to help him a lot with this paper, since he struggled with looking beyond the photograph and seeing the bigger meaning behind it.

-He is naturally rebellious and when there are rules imposed on him that he doesn't like, he may try to find a way to exploit or find a loophole in them. He was very rebellious towards his parents when they did things he found unreasonable. He will only mindlessly follow orders if he absolutely has to, like in a job or if he's threatened otherwise.

-He deals with problems as they come, living in the moment. He finds it useless to worry about something that hasn't happened yet. This isn't to say that he NEVER thinks about the future - he has worries and doubts like everyone else, but doesn't wallow in them. He much prefers to take steps to handle his current situation.

-Tact is not something that comes naturally to him. People too often mistake him for being offensive in how he presents his opinions. Again, he will be tactful ONLY if he feels that he really needs to (like not talking to your boss in a certain way). When he's just being himself, he might come across as overly blunt and insensitive to others' viewpoints. He has the ABILITY to be diplomatic, he just usually doesn't care enough to.

-I'm one of the only people he will show his emotions around, alongside close family. Even so, he hates talking about his negative emotions because he feels weak in doing so. He doesn't have any issues telling me he loves me, though he's not in touch with his emotions and struggles at being very romantic.

-He does not care what others think of him at all, unless of course he's in a job situation.

-I can't tell if he's more of the type to analyze a situation before jumping in, or acting before thinking. There were definitely times where he learned the hard way, through actual experience. But there are also situations where he's able to analyze something before acting on it. If he KNOWS something is bad, he will not try it (he is firmly anti-alcohol and anti-drugs). But if he's not morally opposed to something, he'll have no problems doing it and then handling the consequences later.

-Tradition is not something he cares about unless it's a method that's proved to be good and/or efficient. He will not stick to a traditional method that he finds unreliable or useless, or makes no sense.

-He has strong moral values that he applies to both himself and those around him.

-Sometimes he's creative, other times he isn't. Not a visionary, but not completely in the box either.

-He's not the best at considering others' viewpoints. He will LISTEN to it, but he is quick to disregard opposing opinions unless he is given strict empirical proof that he's wrong.

-He is very, very quick on his feet. He's a fantastic debater and a fast thinker. He made almost perfect scores on his SAT tests if that's useful information at all.

-He is not a stiffler at all and is very laid back. He loves to crack jokes and have fun, even if he's at work. He can be loud and boisterous and teasing.

-He's a hard worker and has a healthy "get it done" attitude.

-He's great at explaining things to people in an articulate way so that they'll understand exactly what he's trying to get across.

-He definitely doesn't care about personality typing. :p I've tried to talk about it with him a few times, and he'll try to listen because he loves me, but I can tell that it's just not something he finds useful.

-I've researched a bit on the differences between Ni and Si, which I know is the big difference between ENTJ and ESTJ. After trying to explain each concept to him, he says that he feels like BOTH are important to have and that people shouldn't just ignore one. He doesn't completely identify with one or the other; he feels like he uses both depending on what he feels is appropriate for the situation.

-He's a game design major. I asked him if he would be working more with the practical elements like programming, or theoretical parts (speculating whether certain game mechanics would be fun or not). He said he wants to do both.

Sorry for the long post! It's just so difficult to tell with him and I'd really love some input.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds fairly ESTJ but idk.

Give him an orange.

rav3n

When he's explaining things to others, does he use a step by step approach? Is detail of the utmost importance to him when trying to understand a concept?

Catzilla

When he's explaining things to others, does he use a step by step approach? Is detail of the utmost importance to him when trying to understand a concept?

Kind of. When he's trying to teach something, he can explain it to someone like they're five. He doesn't explain things using vague language most of the time.

And yeah. When he's learning, it needs to be explained to him in a way that's scientific and precise. It's often hard for me to explain my abstract thoughts to him since it's kind of like a WEB of thought, whereas he thinks in a straight line. He requires a more direct approach.

rav3n

Kind of. When he's trying to teach something, he can explain it to someone like they're five. He doesn't explain things using vague language most of the time.

And yeah. When he's learning, it needs to be explained to him in a way that's scientific and precise. It's often hard for me to explain my abstract thoughts to him since it's kind of like a WEB of thought, whereas he thinks in a straight line. He requires a more direct approach.
In other words, here's how you wipe your mouth:
  • Pick up the napkin with your right hand.
  • Place napkin on the left side of your mouth.
  • Drag napkin across mouth with a horizontal movement towards the right side of mouth.
  • Now drag napkin horizontally right to left.
  • Put the napkin down.

Or....

The reason you're wiping your mouth is to remove food particles from the exterior. Here's a napkin. Now do it.

Which of two would describe him?

Catzilla

In other words, here's how you wipe your mouth:
Pick up the napkin with your right hand.
Place napkin on the left side of your mouth.
Drag napkin across mouth with a horizontal movement towards the right side of mouth.
Now drag napkin horizontally right to left.
Put the napkin down.

Or....

The reason you're wiping your mouth is to remove food particles from the exterior. Here's a napkin. Now do it.

Well if it's a simple concept like using a NAPKIN, then he'll use that second explanation you listed. But if he's explaining something with more complexity that the average person wouldn't understand, he will use a lot more detail. He works in tech support and has a lot of clueless people call in, wanting their computers fixed. He takes a VERY slow and step-by-step approach with technologically-challenged customers at his job, and he's good at it. He'll use the same method if he's helping other people with computers outside his job too.

rav3n

Well if it's a simple concept like using a NAPKIN, then he'll use that second explanation you listed. But if he's explaining something with more complexity that the average person wouldn't understand, he will use a lot more detail. He works in tech support and has a lot of clueless people call in, wanting their computers fixed. He takes a VERY slow and step-by-step approach with technologically-challenged customers at his job, and he's good at it. He'll use the same method if he's helping other people with computers outside his job too.
ESTJ.

Mia.

Just can't tell what he is since he seems to have attributes from both types. Here are the things about him to consider:

-He requires a bit more explanation of abstract concepts in order to understand them.

-He's generally a fast learner of things he sets his mind on.

-He is normally unconcerned with symbolism. He doesn't feel the need to analyze everything. For example, he once took a photography class and had to write an essay about the deeper meaning of certain pieces of art. I had to help him a lot with this paper, since he struggled with looking beyond the photograph and seeing the bigger meaning behind it.

-He is naturally rebellious and when there are rules imposed on him that he doesn't like, he may try to find a way to exploit or find a loophole in them. He was very rebellious towards his parents when they did things he found unreasonable. He will only mindlessly follow orders if he absolutely has to, like in a job or if he's threatened otherwise.

-He deals with problems as they come, living in the moment. He finds it useless to worry about something that hasn't happened yet. This isn't to say that he NEVER thinks about the future - he has worries and doubts like everyone else, but doesn't wallow in them. He much prefers to take steps to handle his current situation.

-Tact is not something that comes naturally to him. People too often mistake him for being offensive in how he presents his opinions. Again, he will be tactful ONLY if he feels that he really needs to (like not talking to your boss in a certain way). When he's just being himself, he might come across as overly blunt and insensitive to others' viewpoints. He has the ABILITY to be diplomatic, he just usually doesn't care enough to.

-I'm one of the only people he will show his emotions around, alongside close family. Even so, he hates talking about his negative emotions because he feels weak in doing so. He doesn't have any issues telling me he loves me, though he's not in touch with his emotions and struggles at being very romantic.

-He does not care what others think of him at all, unless of course he's in a job situation.

-I can't tell if he's more of the type to analyze a situation before jumping in, or acting before thinking. There were definitely times where he learned the hard way, through actual experience. But there are also situations where he's able to analyze something before acting on it. If he KNOWS something is bad, he will not try it (he is firmly anti-alcohol and anti-drugs). But if he's not morally opposed to something, he'll have no problems doing it and then handling the consequences later.

-Tradition is not something he cares about unless it's a method that's proved to be good and/or efficient. He will not stick to a traditional method that he finds unreliable or useless, or makes no sense.

-He has strong moral values that he applies to both himself and those around him.

-Sometimes he's creative, other times he isn't. Not a visionary, but not completely in the box either.

-He's not the best at considering others' viewpoints. He will LISTEN to it, but he is quick to disregard opposing opinions unless he is given strict empirical proof that he's wrong.

-He is very, very quick on his feet. He's a fantastic debater and a fast thinker. He made almost perfect scores on his SAT tests if that's useful information at all.

-He is not a stiffler at all and is very laid back. He loves to crack jokes and have fun, even if he's at work. He can be loud and boisterous and teasing.

-He's a hard worker and has a healthy "get it done" attitude.

-He's great at explaining things to people in an articulate way so that they'll understand exactly what he's trying to get across.

-He definitely doesn't care about personality typing. :p I've tried to talk about it with him a few times, and he'll try to listen because he loves me, but I can tell that it's just not something he finds useful.

-I've researched a bit on the differences between Ni and Si, which I know is the big difference between ENTJ and ESTJ. After trying to explain each concept to him, he says that he feels like BOTH are important to have and that people shouldn't just ignore one. He doesn't completely identify with one or the other; he feels like he uses both depending on what he feels is appropriate for the situation.

-He's a game design major. I asked him if he would be working more with the practical elements like programming, or theoretical parts (speculating whether certain game mechanics would be fun or not). He said he wants to do both.

Great description, thanks!…. sounds exactly like my ESTJ. Only exception is the part about thinking on his feet, that stresses him out. Maybe that's an enneagram thing, though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ENTJ clothing style is more showy, ESTJ is a minimalist about clothes. For example, the ESTJ who wears a tie to church, but the ENTJ wears a POWER TIE.

The OP descript sounds like an ESTJ anyway. But ENTJ also works in some respects.

rav3n

The ENTJ clothing style is more showy, ESTJ is a minimalist about clothes. For example, the ESTJ who wears a tie to church, but the ENTJ wears a POWER TIE.
No. This will vary per individual.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. This will vary per individual.

I'm going along with type descriptions without knowing how the individual in the OP dresses. I also edited my post to make room for ENTJ as a possibility. I don't think he is 100% ESTJ but has some Intuition available. The ENTJ is also a practical type.

Mia.

I'm going along with type descriptions without knowing how the individual in the OP dresses. I also edited my post to make room for ENTJ as a possibility. I don't think he is 100% ESTJ but has some Intuition available. The ENTJ is also a practical type.

He could just be an ESTJ who has developed his Ne decently. He still sounds over-all more ESTJ.

Catzilla

The OP descript sounds like an ESTJ anyway. But ENTJ also works in some respects.

He doesn't give a crap about fashion. However, he does prefer wearing his hair long because he thinks it looks cooler and makes him stand out more.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He could just be an ESTJ who has developed his Ne decently. He still sounds over-all more ESTJ.

Ne or Ni? I don't know if it matters. What fascinates me about the OP description (which is really lovely, by the way) is the way it starts out describing ESTJ traits but then veers off into ENTJ territory. If her boyfriend is more of an ENTJ, I predict that she would have started out describing an ENTJ type.

The guy says that Ni and Si are both important to him. This is an important statement, but it's only one clue. The fact that he doesn't like typology isn't a very good clue in this case as it doesn't serve his career needs.

You also see this in the OP:

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTJ.html
"ENTJs love to interact with people. As Extroverts, they're energized and stimulated primarily externally. There's nothing more enjoyable and satisfying to the ENTJ than having a lively, challenging conversation."

He is not a pure type. So what happens when someone skilled in making descriptions of people runs across some contradictory traits? The whole idea of typology loses focus. And that idea is to box people in to a single type. And so they come here looking to resolve a contradiction that can't be solved without dumping the idea of typology itself.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He doesn't give a crap about fashion. However, he does prefer wearing his hair long because he thinks it looks cooler and makes him stand out more.

ES(n)TJ. Is that a type?

This happens all the time in typology, because the MBTI is so boxing in about its type calls.

Catzilla

Ne or Ni? I don't know if it matters. What fascinates me about the OP description (which is really lovely, by the way) is the way it starts out describing ESTJ traits but then veers off into ENTJ territory. If her boyfriend is more of an ENTJ, I predict that she would have started out describing an ENTJ type.

The guy says that Ni and Si are both important to him. This is an important statement, but it's only one clue. The fact that he doesn't like typology isn't a very good clue in this case as it doesn't serve his career needs.

You also see this in the OP:

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTJ.html
"ENTJs love to interact with people. As Extroverts, they're energized and stimulated primarily externally. There's nothing more enjoyable and satisfying to the ENTJ than having a lively, challenging conversation."

He is not a pure type. So what happens when someone skilled in making descriptions of people runs across some contradictory traits? The whole idea of typology loses focus. And that idea is to box people in to a single type. And so they come here looking to resolve a contradiction that can't be solved without dumping the idea of typology itself.

Sigh, yes, he's a complicated one. The reason I mentioned his distaste for typology is because I heard that S-types are generally less interested in it than N-types are.

Haha, he'd probably be delighted to hear that he's difficult to box and would go on to say that MBTI is stupid. :p

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigh, yes, he's a complicated one. The reason I mentioned his distaste for typology is because I heard that S-types are generally less interested in it than N-types are.

Haha, he'd probably be delighted to hear that he's difficult to box and would go on to say that MBTI is stupid. :p

He's right in a way. It's the weakest system I know of.

It's possible that he swings between types during his day. The ANSIR states that people evince different traits depending on what they are doing, relaxing at home or doing things at work. Their cognitive patterns also do not have to correspond with their behavior.

If you say he's complex, then he IS complex. But the problem is not you or your typing ability, the problem is the MBTI.

rav3n

All types have both S and N functions. But to hinge your entire analysis on how he dresses, whether a bit more splashy or understated, is ridiculous.