• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP confirmed? INFJ? Other?

INFP? INFJ?

• Total voters

Rosabel

Hi there, the more I study typology the more I get lost. I don't know if my functions are just balanced or anything like this... I've been testing for several times as an INFP, but I have to say, since I first discovered MBTI, I scored as many types. When I was 14, that was when I took my first test, I scored ENTJ. I read the description and it wasn't me, and my family members agreed. I wasn't an ENTJ. Then, I took the test again and I came up as an INFJ. I asked my relatives if it was right, and they agreed. Years later, I retook the test and it said ENFP, then ENFJ. Totally crazy. And nowadays I scored as an INFP.

All the NF types seems to fit in some ways to my personality. All of them.

Then, I read about MBTI in children, and the profile of "INJ child" was perfectly my description as a child.

Portrait of an INJ Child

In the sticky thread here "A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type" I perceived that I use the directing information style, what indicates again INFJ.

I may fit pretty well in both descriptions (of INFJ and INFP), but I really want to take a final decision.

But then, what makes me think I'm an INFP?

Well, Si: the nostalgia, the detailed information about the past and indulgency in past imaginations are very common.

About Fe and Fi, sometimes I may appear Fi, and sometimes Fe. I have many values of my own, that doesn't fit the overrall scheme of things around me. In spite of it, I have also some values that are shared with my family and religion. Like it's 50/50.

What are the boundaries between what's Fi-Ne and what's Fe through Ni?

Some characteristics that I may highlight about me:

*I'm outspoken and stubborn about things I believe. It may get me in heated discussions sometimes.
*I matured early. People say that when I was 15 I had a behavior of a 35-years-old. I kind of skipped my teen years.
*People comes to me asking for counselling, and it's a pleasure for me to do it.
*I dislike when big plans aren't decided ahead of time like travels etc. But I really don't care about smaller things when decided spontaneously.
*I had a hard time deciding what to do with my life.
*I suffer from a big lack of coordination and mild hypochondria, heh :blush: (I don't know if it has to do with some inferior function, soooo).
*I have a great imagination and I have a lot of intellectual curiosity.
*I love reading, writing, and playing/ listening to music. I love antiques too.
*I love studying psychology and human behavior. Mainly because I like studying people and their motivations in general.
*I'm not shy, although I'm rather quiet and reserved.
*I have a quirky sense of humor.
*I tend to fantasize the world and create an atmosphere to it.
*I'm responsible and very careful.
*I tend to have "nostalgia about times I hadn't lived".
*I kind of feel disconnected from my body and when I pay attention to it, it seems strange.
*Sometimes I fall in a paranoiac mode, principally when I'm worried about something. And I obsess over it.
*I can appear a little bit rebellious sometimes, but I'm not really a rebellious person. Just a non-conformist about things I find wrong in the world.

What's your opinion? I'm really an INFP? Or an INFJ? Please, help me!

Thank you all!

Last edited:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Inclined towards INFJ.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible you are an S type even though you never tested it? I suppose it is unlikely but for a while I thought I was (and I still consider it) an S type, ISTP to be precise, but then I didn't get along too well with other people who are that type on this forum so it became more obvious it wasn't right. So I am an inTP!

You should talk to other users who are INFP or INFJ and see which ones you like and get along better with. [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] is an INFP. [MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] is an INFJ.

Rosabel

Hummm, it would be great to have some opinions from people of each type!

Normally I try to discover the type of some fictional characters that I may relate to, or singers/ celebrities to see. Normally they are INF's, yeah. So it ends up not making any difference by the fact that fictional characters are not like real people since they depend of an author to gain a personality.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ, I think. INFPs tend to be a bit more awkward. :laugh: Plus, directive style isn't INFP-ish at all.

Rosabel

Thank you all!

Yesterday I read something about sometimes the Ni truths and Fi values being misunderstood. That some INFJ's may in first place take them as INFP's because their Ni truths seems like Fi values, and vice-versa you know, INFP's thinking they are INFJ's because of that function confusion... it's really tricky.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted INFJ though INFP remains a possibility.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try reading through some of the (in)famous Fe/Fi threads on the forum, that should help a lot. Pretty much everything you mentioned in your OP is not at all type-related, lol.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've yet to see a 4 INFJ. I know there are visibly 5w4/5w6 INFJs but that makes sense because their Ti-types. A 4 INFJ..? Unlikely. You could be a 5, but I could see the descriptions you listed as possible for both. There are plenty of directive INFPs as well, especially for your age. Just to put balance into the arena, i would argue INFP.

Rosabel

Hum... I'm pretty sure of my enneagram. I mean, I put that because it is my recurrent results, I'm fairly integrated to 1. I identify a lot with it. When I test, sometimes I come up as an 1w2, 6w5 or 5w6 too. My tri-type maybe is 4w5-1w2-6w5.
And I have seen many 4 INFJ's as well...

And [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION], said one thing that I must agree, that things I listed aren't really type related coldly analyzing...

If there is some "tie-breaker" questions, I would answer too! I'm here for it. ^^

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you more worried about self-expression or about annoying others?

:)D)

Rosabel

Oh my God, let me think...

Well, about self-expression... people (an myself, heh) always have seen me as different. And I really like it. I don't really know the origin of this different thing. But about the self expression per se, I have to say that I really like voicing my opinions, thoughts, beliefs about everything, knowledge, and even feelings (without being very emotional... I am only very emotional when I'm really distressed).

About annoying others. Gosh, I hate feeling that I'm annoying people. This feeling exists since I was a child, what made me very independent. I don't even like asking favors, I tend to do eveything I can alone. Sometimes, I'm prone to ask people if they are in the mood of talking about certain topics before I start (when the topic may cause some discomfort in my interlocutor, I have to say).

Is it? Or I misunderstood something? :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ok, let's say a completely theoretical question. Would you rather autoplay music on your profile to proclaim your musical tastes to the world, or would you avoid it out of concern for annoying people?

:)devil:)

Rosabel

I'd avoid it. I don't find it annoying for me, but if there is a possibility of annoying others, I think twice. Hahahahaha. ^^

I like to post musics on my Facebook profile, but people listen to it if they want to.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
About INFJs

•Holistic visionaries, oriented towards contemplation
•Amongst the types with the highest average IQ
•Strongly linked to the Dependent personality
•Somewhat linked to the Depressive and Narcissistic personalities
•More common in women than in men
•Repress their Extroverted Sensing function, meaning they may forgo living life to its fullest
source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/infj.php

About INFPs

•Idiosyncratic dreamers with strong imaginations
•Strongly linked to the Avoidant personality
•Somewhat linked to the Histrionic and Dependent personalities
•Repress their Extroverted Thinking function, meaning they sometimes preserve their own opinion in the face of facts and evidence to the contrary
source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/infp.php

Which description do you relate better to [MENTION=16274]Rosabel[/MENTION] ?

Rosabel

About INFJs

Yes.
Yes. Tested. :nerd:
No.
I suferred with the Depressive Personality Disorder in my early teens.
•More common in women than in men.
Woman
•Repress their Extroverted Sensing function, meaning they may forgo living life to its fullest
Yes!

About INFPs

Yes.
No.
No.
•Repress their Extroverted Thinking function, meaning they sometimes preserve their own opinion in the face of facts and evidence to the contrary
Never.

Last edited:

Burger King

About INFJs

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/infj.php

About INFPs

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/infp.php

Which description do you relate better to [MENTION=16274]Rosabel[/MENTION] ?

I'm willing to bet that if you asked INFP types this, they would say NO to the repressing the Te function aspect and say YES to the repressing Se aspect. Do you want to know why?

- Because INFP types are horrible with Se!!! The type uses Si (tertiary), therefore it looks alike in some respects to the crappy Se (inferior) using INFJ.

- Also, INFP noobs would probably look at the repressing Te aspect of that and deny it. Who doesn't want to be logical? Who wants to be an emotional babbling idiot? From what I've observed, most newbies do not realize that although it is termed introverted feeling, jung intended for it as a rational function (not feeling = emotion in the traditional sense).

Personally, I would look at the extroverted function Fe vs. Ne, that should be revealing as it is extroverted and thus it is errr....more "tangible." Although I see you've already figured it out, but just for kicks, here's a useful thread by an INFP author: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...fj-orangeappled-s-anecdote-p-j-confusion.html