• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP confirmed? INFJ? Other?

INFP? INFJ?

• Total voters

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread in particular might be helpful to read. Summary: someone started a thread asking for feedback about INFJs from other types, some NFPs offered their opinion, some INFJs showed up to engage in discussion about it, the NFPs saw it as INFJs showing up to tell them their opinion was 'wrong', etc. It was interesting to me though- there was one story in particular in the middle of the thread where almost all the INFJs could instantly relate to the INFJ in the story, and all the INFPs were like "What?!?" (And I remembered thinking at the time that it might be a handy tool to help people figure out which team they're on, lol.)

If you read it, you may want to only quickly scan through the first several pages- it doesn't really get interesting until about page 4 (?).

Rosabel

I didn't find that the opinion about the story would be a really good "tie-breaker" because of the fact I think the reaction would be caused due to emotional/ personal state.

Last edited:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Peek-a-boo! Suprise!
:cakegirl:

One is not a 4 unless I personally consider them a 4. Hence, I don't know what you are.

Ok, ok. yeah, maybe.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=16274]Rosabel[/MENTION] ;):D

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
WHOA. I relate a LOT to some of the things you, [MENTION=16274]Rosabel[/MENTION] , have said. (I definitely would agree with most of the people here that you an INFJ).

In the sticky thread here "A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type" I perceived that I use the directing information style, what indicates again INFJ.

I thought I was more Informing at first, but then I realized it had to do more with my self-esteem and not wanting to seem like a bossy d!ck to other people than my actual information style. My Directing style was confirmed in a recent trip to the zoo with my nephew and my father, in which I was saying things in a way that was decidedly bossy. Sure, I may have said things in an Informative way at times, but I was saying it in a way that was basically giving an order as opposed to merely being an informative. Example: When my nephew was posing for the videocamera in a face-in-hole penguin cut-out, and I had already gotten enough footage and so I told him "You can slip out now.", in such a way that was saying "Slip out of the hole. Let's move on to something else."

So I think the key to figuring out Directing vs Informing Information styles has to do with HOW its said, not just WHAT is said.

I may fit pretty well in both descriptions (of INFJ and INFP), but I really want to take a final decision.

But then, what makes me think I'm an INFP?

Well, Si: the nostalgia, the detailed information about the past and indulgency in past imaginations are very common.

About Fe and Fi, sometimes I may appear Fi, and sometimes Fe. I have many values of my own, that doesn't fit the overrall scheme of things around me. In spite of it, I have also some values that are shared with my family and religion. Like it's 50/50.

I think the MBTI theory doesn't limit us to our four main cognitive functions; it's basically a means of preference.

For instance, how often do you indulge in your nostalgia? Do said reveries of nostalgia stand out to you, and feel like some far-off distant thing that you have a lot of trouble connecting to?

Like, let me give an example of my own Si: I have a lot of Scottish and Irish genetic background. My Dom Ni caused me to realize that that in turn would connect me to the ancient Celtic and Pictish tribes of Ireland and Scotland, the tribes that basically kicked the Roman Empire's @$$es back in the day (i.e. 3rd century C.E.). Whenever I see a picture of a northern Irish or Scottish landscape, or something otherwise Celtic or Pictish in origin, I feel like I want to connect with it on a subjective level. It's like...my Inferior Se ends up becoming a subjective understanding as opposed to perceiving an objective detail. I want to see and FEEL my ancient past...like I don't want the idea, tone or 'tradition' of Picts and Celts to die off. However, since it is so different from my Inferior Extraverted Sensing, it often seems very vague and abstract, and there are other instances in which other sorts of cultures (such as Catholicism or the Middle Ages) will cause me to feel very ill and suppressed. It's this 'Demonic' Si that I have the least conscious control over, and so I end up having this almost inexplicable knee-jerk reactions to any sensory detail that evokes Catholicism/Middle Ages or Picts/Celts.

What are the boundaries between what's Fi-Ne and what's Fe through Ni?

Well, we tend to use both, especially when we are younger and still trying to figure out "who we are". (FYI, I'm a 20 year old female in college, if that provides the following insight--or ignorance--I'm about to display. ^^;; )

From what I know, Ni is a subjective understanding of the possibilities regarding the unseen and the unproven, being prone to having these subconscious 'hunches' about the dynamics of a situation. But what do we DO with those insights? How do we act upon them in the external world? The Aux Fe causes us to 'objectively' understand the emotional state of our environment and those within it. An example of Ni-Fe in action: "My friend is acting...strangely. I can't put my finger on why, though (Dom Ni). What should I do to help him? (Aux Fe) Should I ask if he's alright? No, no, he might think I'm being nosy if I ask him directly. But hey, maybe he WANTS me to ask him, so he isn't the one responsible for the one burdening the group with their woes?" (BTW: True story. I used to worry that I had a social anxiety disorder because of this constant analysis of social situations in this way, but learning I was an INFJ helped me to feel less self-conscious about this.)

However, sometimes our Ni might extravert itself, and vise versa with the Fi. But we often feel somewhat uneasy when using our primary functions in their opposite attitudes, like a little nagging "Am I doing this right?" voice in our heads. For example, when I use Ne (like when I'm brainstorming creative ideas, for instance), I tend to feel like I'm being really impulsive and not thinking my possibilities through. Likewise when I use Fi, I often feel like I'm being close-minded and not fully considering other peoples' needs and concerns. Like, say if we were discussing Pro Life vs Pro Choice (PLEASE understand that this is the best example I could think of off the top of my head, and I am not trying to instigate a discussion on abortion), my Fi might say "I'm Pro-Choice, because I think it should be within a person's right to terminate their own pregnancy." But then my Feeling function trickles out to its more naturally extroverted state, considering all the people who are bothered at the thought of developing fetuses being terminated, and then causes me wrack my brain in devising a happy medium instead of sticking to my guns and supporting just one or the other.

Some characteristics that I may highlight about me:

*I'm outspoken and stubborn about things I believe. It may get me in heated discussions sometimes.
*I matured early. People say that when I was 15 I had a behavior of a 35-years-old. I kind of skipped my teen years.
*People comes to me asking for counselling, and it's a pleasure for me to do it.
*I dislike when big plans aren't decided ahead of time like travels etc. But I really don't care about smaller things when decided spontaneously.
*I had a hard time deciding what to do with my life.
*I suffer from a big lack of coordination and mild hypochondria, heh :blush: (I don't know if it has to do with some inferior function, soooo).
*I have a great imagination and I have a lot of intellectual curiosity.
*I love reading, writing, and playing/ listening to music. I love antiques too.
*I love studying psychology and human behavior. Mainly because I like studying people and their motivations in general.
*I'm not shy, although I'm rather quiet and reserved.
*I have a quirky sense of humor.
*I tend to fantasize the world and create an atmosphere to it.
*I'm responsible and very careful.
*I tend to have "nostalgia about times I hadn't lived".
*I kind of feel disconnected from my body and when I pay attention to it, it seems strange.
*Sometimes I fall in a paranoiac mode, principally when I'm worried about something. And I obsess over it.
*I can appear a little bit rebellious sometimes, but I'm not really a rebellious person. Just a non-conformist about things I find wrong in the world.

Man. I've noticed the EXACT same things about myself. Seriously, I'm checking off every asterisk, because I'm pretty much exactly the same way with all of them.

Hummm, it would be great to have some opinions from people of each type!

Normally I try to discover the type of some fictional characters that I may relate to, or singers/ celebrities to see. Normally they are INF's, yeah. So it ends up not making any difference by the fact that fictional characters are not like real people since they depend of an author to gain a personality.

YES! I DO THIS TOO!

I've looked back and realized that a lot of the characters and IRL people I RELATED to (not just 'liked') were very likely INFJs.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Hi,

I'm INFJ and my close friend is INFP. I thought I'd tell you from experiences how we are alike and how we are different and that will help you decide.

How we are alike:

We both have a high IQ.
We both love literature and problem-solving.
We both write poetry.
We both need quiet time.
We both take care of animals.
We both like to formulate theories and do research.
We both have an interest in spiritual matters.
We can both be sarcastic.
We both march to the beat of a different drum.

How we are different and I believe it is the P and the J that makes the difference. I am a strong J and she is a strong P.

She isn't very physical. I am.

She is a grumpy, sweet person./I am warm and disarming. [In person. On here, I'm just black and white letters like everyone else.]

When we're doing research, she can not arrive at a definitive answer. I go in search of definitive answers.

When it comes to making decissions, she takes a lot longer because she's trying to get everything 'perfect'. Me, I think that a little less than perfect is better than never getting done at all. I'm more deadline conscious. She's more detail conscious and she assumes that someone is going to criticize her, even when there's no evidence to warrant it.

She's more thorough about minute details than I am, but by the time she's finished you may have to get a backhole to dig her out from under all the clutter and papers that piled up on top of her while she was working.

In spiritual matters, I seek understanding. She seeks inexplicable experiences.

She buys high qualilty clothing, but still manages to look frumpy because she is so caught up in her projects that she lets housework, fashion and so forth go to the dogs. Me, I buy my clothes at the cheapest place possible and try to look 'good' on a budget.

Still, in her own way and her own time, she is dependable. She doesn't like to be pigeon-holed and cares little about what others think of her. Mostly, I don't think she's aware of what others think, but she is brilliantly intelligent. Other people say of her, "She's odd, but she's brilliant." She truly reminds you of the classic absent-minded professor, her speciality of course, being the fine arts or literature. Oh, and she can't tell a funny joke to save her life. But watching her try...is funny. When we hang out she finds me calming, peaceful and I find her amusing, quirky and eccentric.

They say of me, "She's gifted, talented and she's smarter than she looks." I'm not sure what they mean by that and when I ask I get a shurg and a "Well, you just don't seem like the usual geek, that's all." Still, I'm NOT sure what that means. haha.

I know this is only an example from one real life situation, but I thought it might help you to figure out whether you identify more with my J or her P. It could be that you are so light a J that you're often a P or that you're so slight a P that you're often a J. You could be practically balanced between the two so that sometimes you are more like INFJ and sometimes you are more like INFP.

Last edited:

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've been testing for several times as an INFP, but I have to say, since I first discovered MBTI, I scored as many types. When I was 14, that was when I took my first test, I scored ENTJ. I read the description and it wasn't me, and my family members agreed. I wasn't an ENTJ. Then, I took the test again and I came up as an INFJ.

This is the very first thing you said in this thread. I've read a couple of other more recent posts in this thread without studying them in detail. I'd like to make one comment on the above. To me it is absolutely ***unthinkable*** that any INFP could take a Myers-Briggs test, give honest answers to the questions, and come out the other end as an ENTJ. At a pinch I can conceive of an INFJ doing so.