User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Logical order and an INT

A question for the typologists...

I've been questioning the nature of a predisposition of mine. I tend to be obsessed with putting everything in logical order, systemizing, approaching every activity as if it were a game-of-sorting-out-the-chaos. A few examples:

For example...
    Presented with a choice of pieces of art, let's say films or books, I will always favour dividing them equally over the free time I have, deciding to go for them in chronological order or in very defined categories. The thing is that this planning and structuring is always done internally and I always strive to go along those lines, until I happen to find other interesting pieces, only to rearrange the original plan, ad nauseam. This intense categorizing and defining within an endeavour of my interest does not seem to have much practical purpose nor anything going for it in the name of efficiency, even if I do see them as my own plans. It's just a very strong tendency to arrange them according to some very subjective logical criteria, so much so that my stubborness in not crossing them may be the cause of much un-pragmatism.

I am surely an Introverted Intuitive Thinker. Now, at first glance, the aforementioned tendencies appear to be proper of a Judging type beset by obsessive compulsive behaviour. Or it could be the influence of the strong Judging types during my lifetime...that I can entertain, but it does not seem very likely, because this is a very deep-set tendency...It could be fitting of a Dominant Thinker...Te cannot be, as I am not extraverted enough...so it could be introverted Thinking, which is content with analysing systematically and solving problems internally, or so it is said.

Thus, I've set the table. What do you make of it? I'd like to read your logical explanations.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

This intense categorizing and defining within an endeavour of my interest does not seem to have much practical purpose nor anything going for it in the name of efficiency, even if I do see them as my own plans. It's just a very strong tendency to arrange them according to some very subjective logical criteria, so much so that my stubborness in not crossing them may be the cause of much un-pragmatism.
    Pretty much sums up Ti. The subjective criteria is introverted thinking since it's subjective and that it has no practical purpose like you say. I think there are a few threads on OCD and thinking on here and Personality Cafe too

are you also a type 5?
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    Pretty much sums up Ti. The subjective criteria is introverted thinking since it's subjective and that it has no practical purpose like you say. I think there are a few threads on OCD and thinking on here and Personality Cafe too

are you also a type 5?
    Thank you, I'll check them out.

Yes, 5w4.

Anyone else?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Judging only from your post above, I'ld give you a Te preferency. I'ld never come to think to watch movies in some sort of chronological order or put up an arrangement at all. Of course if they were episodes that would be different but besides that it doesnt matter to me if things are chaotic. Yet thats rather an indicator for Ne.

What I mean with you being Te is that people tend to automatically label very logical and systematic thinkers, which are not assertive, to be Ti people. Yet Ti means introverted Thinking, why tho then does that automatically need to be logical ? I mean the categorical imperative was invented by Kant and since then logic evolved into some sort of religion for us today. So adapting to that would be, per Jung type definition, be a Te thing, wouldnt it ? While a Ti thing would be to come up with some sort of own logic, which if not checked against reality, can go pretty vertigo.

I think the sole difference between F and T is not moral and logic its subjectivity and objectivity. So to say a F person is more egoistic per nature, tho this is a very blunt assesment. F people furthermore have a deeper respect for the, lets call it "egoism" of other people and therefore pay more respect to that. T people of all put little respect to the individual and are more concerned with the process than with the state. They have no statues which bind them.

This's my personal theory, it may be a bit strange but I have the gut feeling that there is more to it than just attributing to every Ti dominant you meet a very pronounced capacity for logical thinking. On this page my theory gets back up: http://www.personalitynation.com/jun...inking-ti.html

She says at some point:
    p. 287: "As a right-brain function, Introverted Thinking is not conceptual and linear [contra Extraverted Thinking]. It's body-based and wholistic. It operates by way of visual, tactile, or spatial cues, inclining us to reason experientially rather than analytically."
    And thats pretty much the point. Basically you can label every intp who thinks its pretty much Ti if things follow a linear reasonable conceptual approach, a Te. The problem is since most of them have no self-confidence you pretty much quickly end up with them going for the least assertive type per definition.

You yourself would know best if you are after this new input still a Ti; but one things for sure tho, Ti aint about "making lists".
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    A question for the typologists...

I've been questioning the nature of a predisposition of mine. I tend to be obsessed with putting everything in logical order, systemizing, approaching every activity as if it were a game-of-sorting-out-the-chaos. A few examples:

For example...
    Presented with a choice of pieces of art, let's say films or books, I will always favour dividing them equally over the free time I have, deciding to go for them in chronological order or in very defined categories.
    Just curious what you mean by dividing them equally in this context? Also which types of categories are you using?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Just curious what you mean by dividing them equally in this context? Also which types of categories are you using?
    Dividing : for instance, each day, allow self only (...) minutes to such activity or just 1 movie per day ...or finish (...) activity by the weekend, so that a new, very different activity can be started on Monday... and I will (try to) stick to this directive, even if it does clash with many external obligations or constraints ... I could just cross them, the end result is usually better when I become more unstructured so as to avoid that kind of compromise.

Categories...from very conventional ones (first volume of a work- second volume - third ...) to rather unconventional ones (go through all the movies featuring animals in sequence, or fuse episodes that take place in the same continent...).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

And thats pretty much the point. Basically you can label every intp who thinks its pretty much Ti if things follow a linear reasonable conceptual approach, a Te. The problem is since most of them have no self-confidence you pretty much quickly end up with them going for the least assertive type per definition.

You yourself would know best if you are after this new input still a Ti; but one things for sure tho, Ti aint about "making lists".
    Just to have it clarified, what would be the main differences between 'experimental' and 'analytical' reasoning? Could you give off some examples?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

At the positive end of the spectrum it could be related to testosterone in utero or high pfc development. At the negative end of the spectrum, perhaps control behaviors or some such. It may be related to none of the above as well.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    At the positive end of the spectrum it could be related to testosterone in utero or high pfc development. At the negative end of the spectrum, perhaps control behaviors or some such. It may be related to none of the above as well.
    Could you explain the testosterone link?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Yes, yes, yes. I can empathize so much it hurts. Your presentation of the logic is smooth(precise) and you have convinced me, there is no other answer but to call it "naturally" "introverted intuitive thinking."

I try to avoid the chronological criteria in my arrangments, but for most vague cause and effects (such as ones in history) or with strong subjectivity(art), i have no choice but to use chronology. I prefer category/systemization based on key properties. I also enjoy creating diagrams, which is definitely rooted in the same mental protocol.