• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type 1: INTP or INFP or something else?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello people.
So I've finally figured the enneagram type that best described me and integrated all of the other types I related to as well. But now that I know my enneagram type I'm really curious if that combination is possible for an INTP, and if so it seems it would manifest in different ways than I chose to focus on throughout my life. This makes me question the accuracy of my MBTI type among other things. So I took a step back and assessed myself and looked for patterns in my daily living. Here is the info and could anyone please help me out so I can stfu?

A typical day throughout my life:
-To live by whichever virtue I'm striving for at the time (always focused around self-discipline except when I'm stressed). Living by virtues aids in my growth and allows me to see things more objectively to understand the world (this could be Fi talking).
-I never work well with schedules and my most constant fixation is my self-growth and hobbies.
-Every day is centered around personal perfection and learning, much like the type 5 "a day without learning is like a day without sunshine" mentality. And I don't mean learning about morals. I've never really had any interest in subjects involving people (a very fleeting interest at the least), I have always been more involved in phsyical sciences and understanding the world from that frame of mind.
-It's hard for me to make judgments or decisions without a sufficient frame of reference or information on the topic and I often feel inferior if my depth of knowledge doesn't equate with another's which causes me to be a recluse, not that I don't enjoy seclusion on it's own.
-I easily accept others for the way they are and see the good in them, while I have conversely never been satisfied with myself.
-When I'm with my SO, the person who I feel most comfortable with, I focus on having fun, learning more about almost any topic, obtaining new skills, and exploring new places.
-I'm not comfortable with most emotions, don't understand them well, and rarely know what emotion I'm feeling specifically unless I have spent a significant time researching it. I like looking at emotions from a physiological perpective because it helps me to be aware of them and deal with them effectively.
-I analyze everything to death and spend every moment of the day diving in to every topic that catches my interest. I am grateful there is so much detail and relation in the world's makeup (sciences) and even more excited about the possibility of randomness and the discovery of the unknown or misunderstood.
-I believe animals are equal to humans and that human superiority is an illusion. This topic always invokes a strong emotional reaction in me so much so that I think I'll tear someone's head off if they try arguing :D. This topic alone is enough to make me question my type as it seems like it could be Fi-Te to me.

Obviously I'm having a hard time discerning whether I use Ti from Fi, so if you could please aid me in this process and give an explanation I would be grateful.

It sounds like by the time you got to the end of this post you already had the answer.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm open to INFP, but I didn't think I fit the typical description. Only after a lot of soul searching did I realize the inconsistencies I listed above which seem very much like Fi if they aren't actually. My SO is an ISFP, and being Fi dominant and Te inferior wouldn't that make us similar? Instead he sees me as too objective and not caring enough about emotions

"they may be reserved in expressing emotion"
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

He SEES you as "too objective" and "not caring enough about emotions." But is that the way you see yourself?

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inferior fe mainly manifested in me through dissassociation. Not caring what other people believe. Most problematic emotions arised when I knew the people around me must be wrong without having the right answer myself. This especially caused me to retreat into a shell. I woeld have responded to inferior Te by ignoring it. Now Im no longer experiencing these inferior Fe moments. I would be glad to entertain anyones thoughts and opinions and try to construct a Ti framework for them. Usually by showing them what aspects are important and which are considerably less important. This I have found is a great way to diffuse any situation.

As for this topic, there isnt too much to go on. So I just shared my impression and allow it to be considered. Trusting the reader will be capable of taking the information properly. Wether it is the truth or not.

I have never had an open Fe burst myself but that might be due to my enneagram. As for the descriptions, yes they do seem more fi-te to me. But like I said I dont claim to know the op. It is merely an impression and observation based on what little information was shared.

posting on my phone is pretty annoying, blegh! ;)

Dissociation, yeah I can see that. Haha I can see how not knowing an answer yet seeing others in the wrong would do that. I'd love to understand more about Ti, I think I find Ti and Fi probably the hardest to differentiate. I've always scored high on Ti but I have little clue as to why. :huh:
Did inferior Fe just work itself out for you or did you actively engage it?

Yes of course. You seem pretty knowledgeable, what kind of knowledge would be more appropriate to share to determine ones type? I guess that one would be pretty broad, but if there is anything useful in particular... (In case I ever need a third part observing me ;) )

What's your take on these inferior function explanations for Fe and Te, are they sound? Ha, posting on your phone always is!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dissociation, yeah I can see that. Haha I can see how not knowing an answer yet seeing others in the wrong would do that. I'd love to understand more about Ti, I think I find Ti and Fi probably the hardest to differentiate. I've always scored high on Ti but I have little clue as to why. :huh:
Did inferior Fe just work itself out for you or did you actively engage it?

Yes of course. You seem pretty knowledgeable, what kind of knowledge would be more appropriate to share to determine ones type? I guess that one would be pretty broad, but if there is anything useful in particular... (In case I ever need a third part observing me ;) )

What's your take on these inferior function explanations for Fe and Te, are they sound? Ha, posting on your phone always is!

Knowledgable is probably not the right way to describe my understanding of all things MBTI. But Id like to think I have a decent grasp after browsing here for a few years :tongue:

The best information to share is to let it happen naturally. And by giving personal examples instead of a subjective factual impression about yourself. When I help type people in this post I take notice in particular to the style and write up of the post and what kind of mindset a person might have had when writing it. Its part intuitive. Also many people dont neccesarily know why they do the things they do and merely guess it. I did this as well. It took me quite some time to figure out my enneagram because of it.

That link was quite a nice read. A little bit subjective here and there, describing behaviours that may be present in these types but not neccesarily in all of them. Still the Fe inferior is quite accurate for me especially in younger years.

I have dealt with my inferior by becoming much more self confident in my abilities and couragious in my actions. Having a very extraverted job bringing me in contact with tens of people daily has really helped in achieving this. I can now be my true self without inhibitions anywhere I go. :)

Chocobo Breeder

"they may be reserved in expressing emotion"
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

He SEES you as "too objective" and "not caring enough about emotions." But is that the way you see yourself?

It's complicated. I'm aware of emotions through my physical reactions, but it takes a backseat in my mind unless I'm particularly stressed. Often people say things like "What's wrong?" or "Are you angry?" to me based on my facial expressions that I'm not aware of. I don't have a lot of control of my facial expressions at least in this point of my life and they tend to have a mind of their own. I realize only after people bring it up in conversation that I actually do feel angry or stressed or sad for some reason, and it usually takes a long time to get to the bottom of it if I ever do at all. Most of the time I return to being content rather quickly so I just forget about it. Just the other day at work the supervisor asked me to move some things into an area, and I said okay, really I was thinking I'm not sure if this will work and they jumped up and shouted "Oh! I saw that face! If they don't all fit put the rest over there" I feel like I can't hide anything from others, even when it's hidden from myself. And I've read a bagillion INFP and INTP profile descriptions and I always feel like I'm reading what a stalker would write about me when it comes to INTP, but I still relate to some INFP aspects which makes me wonder if I'm some kind of underdeveloped INFP since both Fi and Ti use isn't allowed.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's complicated. I'm aware of emotions through my physical reactions, but it takes a backseat in my mind unless I'm particularly stressed. Often people say things like "What's wrong?" or "Are you angry?" to me based on my facial expressions that I'm not aware of. I don't have a lot of control of my facial expressions at least in this point of my life and they tend to have a mind of their own. I realize only after people bring it up in conversation that I actually do feel angry or stressed or sad for some reason, and it usually takes a long time to get to the bottom of it if I ever do at all. Most of the time I return to being content rather quickly so I just forget about it. Just the other day at work the supervisor asked me to move some things into an area, and I said okay, really I was thinking I'm not sure if this will work and they jumped up and shouted "Oh! I saw that face! If they don't all fit put the rest over there" I feel like I can't hide anything from others, even when it's hidden from myself. And I've read a bagillion INFP and INTP profile descriptions and I always feel like I'm reading what a stalker would write about me when it comes to INTP, but I still relate to some INFP aspects which makes me wonder if I'm some kind of underdeveloped INFP since both Fi and Ti use isn't allowed.

Tritypes INFP-INTP and something else.

I recognize myself in a lot of what you say. But what topics interest you? Humanistic or just pure intellectual stuff?

Chocobo Breeder

I think the most difficult time I have is giving a good picture of myself to people who don't know me and can't see me, because I truly don't understand exactly what I do or why I do things. And I've been slowly emerging from a long period of depression so I have to try to remember how I previously acted compared to how I act now to see if I still show any signs of depression or conflicts in personality in order not to confuse things with overlap. And if you're trying to analyze me from my writing style I'm purposely using long, strung out sentences and dense paragraphs because 1. it requires little effort and 2. I'm super paranoid and keep thinking someone I know will read this shit and I find that frightening for some reason so I'm trying to throw them off. I know, it probably won't even work lol, but for some reason I don't care and think I should try something rather than give in. And also, I act like a different person with different people, some people I only show a 7-like attitude, some I seem to be more of a leader or someone they can go to, some I come off as a hermit and a flake, some see me as a big nerd who spends all of her time on mmo's and studying, some see me as a workaholic, some see me as creative or talented (when I'm not much of either), most see me as nice, some see me as evil and angry, and surprisingly many new people seem to think I'm a party person. When I'm alone I never have to care about my actions, but just being alive and spending time learning or reaching whatever goal or project I'm working on. When I'm with my SO though, he sees every bit of my personality, and I seem to be a mixture of all things that I listed, except party person is definitely much less relative, I think it's just when have lots of energy and I'm in an extraverted mood. He seems to think I'm an INTP 5w6, but comparing myself to people online I don't seem to relate enough. They seem much more cold to others, when I'm dealing with people I'm either nice, or if I don't have enough energy to spend time thinking of how to say things in a polite fashion then I don't communicate with them at all and go back to work and hobbies. I also don't think I would ever have the energy to actively participate in a forum. I would rather do anything than have to deal with people on a regular basis unless I'm only there to lend them some knowledge. For some reason my SO is an exception, because I rarely have to invest the amount of effort to converse with him as I do with others. I'm not sure why it drains so much energy out of me. And I also drastically alternate between wanting to fit into a community, like thinking how nice it would be to live in the Shire haha. Then not caring what anyone thinks and being a rebel or misfit. But my SO has made me more aware that a lot of my actions are based on me worrying what people will think of me. Even if I manage to talk myself out of it for some time it will slyly return little to my own knowledge. So I'm a collection of contradictions. I wish I could understand myself through a system like this, but I think I may have to do it the long way and address every aspect of my personality individually, which I really don't want to do, but I know it would benefit me in the long run. Any takers to try to simplify?

Chocobo Breeder

Tritypes INFP-INTP and something else.

I recognize myself in a lot of what you say. But what topics interest you? Humanistic or just pure intellectual stuff?

Sometimes I'm interested in humanistic stuff, usually if discussion calls for it. But most of the time just "intellectual" stuff, I guess knowledge for it's own sake. I know, cliche.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What convinced you?

The question is, what convinces you? Perhaps nothing will. People come here for advice almost as if they are looking for that one certain yet unknown person to provide the answers. Sometimes it's necessary, because it seems not everybody is capable of self-typing.

Chocobo Breeder

The question is, what convinces you? Perhaps nothing will. People come here for advice almost as if they are looking for that one certain yet unknown person to provide the answers. Sometimes it's necessary, because it seems not everybody is capable of self-typing.

I think it's necessary in my case, at least for now when I don't have a good idea of my personality and how it compares with these types. If I just wanted an answer I would have gone with INTP 5w6 like my SO decided. But I'm looking for an explanation for my behavior instead, and he doesn't have the experience or interest this forum has which is why I'm here in the first place. So please help if you can.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's necessary in my case, at least for now when I don't have a good idea of my personality and how it compares with these types. If I just wanted an answer I would have gone with INTP 5w6 like my SO decided. But I'm looking for an explanation for my behavior instead, and he doesn't have the experience or interest this forum has which is why I'm here in the first place. So please help if you can.

Or maybe you're deciding which way to go. The truth happens when you decide, not before.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The truth happens when you decide? I don't know what you mean...

I'm saying that if you're coming out of a period of depression, anxiety, etc., then your personality is too disorganized to type. Making a decision on which type you want to be is one way to get it reorganized, and either rediscover your identity or discover a new one. Personality is not set in stone.

But if I were you I would choose the identity that leads to less pathological resistance and more openness. It takes a long time.

Chocobo Breeder

I'm saying that if you're coming out of a period of depression, anxiety, etc., then your personality is too disorganized to type. Making a decision on which type you want to be is one way to get it reorganized, and either rediscover your identity or discover a new one. Personality is not set in stone.

But if I were you I would choose the identity that leads to less pathological resistance and more openness. It takes a long time.

Personality may not be set in stone, but I thought the functions behind the personality would be if the theory is correct.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personality may not be set in stone, but I thought the functions behind the personality would be if the theory is correct.

I don't think Jung said that. In fact, I think he said just the opposite.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aye, what Mal+ said, I'd like to add that I get the feeling (pure Ne'ing here, nothing you directly said but just the vibe I get with your posts) there are parts of yourself you don't like. Parts that in my opinion aren't dislikable at all.

It might be a good idea to come to terms with who you are before you try to stamp it with a sticker.

Everytype has their advantages and disadvantages, I suppose. But no one type is universally better than the other. The moment you stop worrying about that, is the moment you'll be able to discover your capabilities.

Chocobo Breeder

I don't think Jung said that. In fact, I think he said just the opposite.

I didn't know that. I haven't read any books or sources from Jung so I wouldn't know. I've just been going off what I google online and most seem to think there is a very rigid order of cognitive functions set for life.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't know that. I haven't read any books or sources from Jung so I wouldn't know. I've just been going off what I google online and most seem to think there is a very rigid order of cognitive functions set for life.

Then they're wrong. Even Jung stated, I believe it was in a youtube interview I saw, that he himself had changed functions over the years.