• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type 1: INTP or INFP or something else?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, My father was an active parent and my mother somewhere between neutral and responsive(basicly only when needed.)

I was definately a neutral child. But my father was mostly away. I suppose if I take into account my earlier school years, I think I definately felt the environment was mostly active. Could explain my 9 type.

However, my E3 brother and E2 sister can't be explained by this phenomenon. (Although I'm not entirely sure my brother is E3, he's kinda unhealthy stress levels.), I'm positive my sister is E2 though. Yet my sister has had a mainly responsive environment. Having people helping with her dyslexia throughout school, etc. Always had a very hands on upbringing. Definately responsive perhaps even active, but sure as heck not neutral. But E2 seems to stem from a neutral environment according to that link. I won't buy that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you need a third party to intervene on your own enneagram type, to point out your underlying motivation?

Nah I never fully submitted to the idea of being a five enneagram, because I couldn't truly seem to fit the profile. But at the time I definately didn't think I was 9 either. Due to learning myself a bit better, not just what I do because that was never in question, but also why I do them, has helped me to understand I'm definately a nine. The thing is, I was always a but high-strung on the absolution of my Ti framework. That I only did things because I thought they needed to be done. Kinda completely ignoring the unconscious part that makes up our enneagram. Learning more about my true unconscious self has opened quite some new doors.

It's funny how you can truely think a certain something about yourself then later learn that you were completely wrong. But such is the unconscious. :D

So pretty much the underlying problem with your inferior Fe was the confidence in your own abilities? Sensitivity would be triggered if you where criticised on your own ability and actions, yeah? "I can now be my true self without inhibitions anywhere I go. " Alas, freeeeddooooom! That is great. :) I feel at ease mostly with this. What I don't feel competent is in me presenting myself logically and objectively. As well as my ability to NOT procrastinate and get things done. Know of any good inferior Te reads?

I think more broadly, the underlying problem was that I didn't know how to fit in or who to be. As a result I has little confidence in myself. So in a way yes, it was also triggered by criticism on my ability and actions. Because being told you are different without you really understanding what that means does that to a person. Now I have my place in the world, the confidence kinda followed automatically.

You know, procrastination for me I don't see as a bad thing. I still do the things that absolutely must be done ofcourse. The rest of my time I fill up with my own self interests whatever they may be. It helps me relax and wind down. I know that if I would stop procrastinating. I would go completely ballistic, stresslevel wise. That is something I see as much more harmful then my current levels of procrastination. xP

Yeah as for showing yourself logically and objectively, it's I suppose also a worry for me. There are many pitfalls such as interpretation as well as the ability of the listener to understand you that it can still be a bit of a hurdle for me at times. But mostly that only happens with people I don't know. So I don't really know how I should convey my thoughts to them. I just to it to the best of my ability now and if they don't understand (or I them) I'll make it a discussion and see if an understanding can be reached.

However, especially in work environments, my e-9 starts to flare up and I tend to avoid such discussions. Better to keep the customer on my good side than risking a difference of opinion that could harm that relationship. So it's more because of professionalism towards customers.
I would never do that to anyone close to me or important to me.

Chocobo Breeder

However, my E3 brother and E2 sister can't be explained by this phenomenon. (Although I'm not entirely sure my brother is E3, he's kinda unhealthy stress levels.), I'm positive my sister is E2 though. Yet my sister has had a mainly responsive environment. Having people helping with her dyslexia throughout school, etc. Always had a very hands on upbringing. Definately responsive perhaps even active, but sure as heck not neutral. But E2 seems to stem from a neutral environment according to that link. I won't buy that.

I would think a 2 would derive from a more positive atmosphere as well, though I can see why what they describe could happen too. I think the Active Parent vs Active Child = 8 is hilarious, makes sense in my brother's case. :rofl1:

Chocobo Breeder

Man, I am such an INTP. How did you guys mistype me? Or was it just because you were jumping the gun? I was confused about INFP thinking I could be driven by aspirational Te, and found Ti seeming analysis through my Ne, but that wouldn't explain my lack of Fi, my childhood of Ti, and my strong relation with inferior Fe. And I still don't know my enneagram type, I seem to relate too strongly to multiple types, mostly 1, 2, 5, and 6 in no particular order. Just wanted to clear that up in case someone online finds this thread and is left thinking that you can't be an INTP if you show any sign of emotion or values.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah I never fully submitted to the idea of being a five enneagram, because I couldn't truly seem to fit the profile. But at the time I definately didn't think I was 9 either. Due to learning myself a bit better, not just what I do because that was never in question, but also why I do them, has helped me to understand I'm definately a nine. The thing is, I was always a but high-strung on the absolution of my Ti framework. That I only did things because I thought they needed to be done. Kinda completely ignoring the unconscious part that makes up our enneagram. Learning more about my true unconscious self has opened quite some new doors.

It seems that a fairly sized portion of INTP's follow in this (generalising..) Being stuck on particular details that is. And yeah, our unconcious drives definately do make up for alot of ourselves, the more of it we can bring into the light the better.

I think more broadly, the underlying problem was that I didn't know how to fit in or who to be. As a result I has little confidence in myself. So in a way yes, it was also triggered by criticism on my ability and actions. Because being told you are different without you really understanding what that means does that to a person. Now I have my place in the world, the confidence kinda followed automatically.

It almost sounds like Fi being misunderstood in childhood haha. :) I think this really puts it on the spot though. So that is your experience with inferior Fe.

You know, procrastination for me I don't see as a bad thing. I still do the things that absolutely must be done ofcourse. The rest of my time I fill up with my own self interests whatever they may be. It helps me relax and wind down. I know that if I would stop procrastinating. I would go completely ballistic, stresslevel wise. That is something I see as much more harmful then my current levels of procrastination. xP

Haha, I could easily follow this line of reasoning as well, but for me that would be a danger! It's great that you use it in a particular way, bad thing would be to use it to avoid responsibilities. You seem to be productive about it.

Yeah as for showing yourself logically and objectively, it's I suppose also a worry for me. There are many pitfalls such as interpretation as well as the ability of the listener to understand you that it can still be a bit of a hurdle for me at times. But mostly that only happens with people I don't know. So I don't really know how I should convey my thoughts to them. I just to it to the best of my ability now and if they don't understand (or I them) I'll make it a discussion and see if an understanding can be reached.

Expressing oneself is a lot harder than people realise also. Ever find yourself thinking "I wish I could just plug a cable into their heads and connect it with mine so they'll just get it." LOL.

However, especially in work environments, my e-9 starts to flare up and I tend to avoid such discussions. Better to keep the customer on my good side than risking a difference of opinion that could harm that relationship. So it's more because of professionalism towards customers.
I would never do that to anyone close to me or important to me.

Yeah, exactly what I thought, it's not something that is as practical in the work environment where people don't want to have to discuss things they feel are unnecessary, and want a clear understanding the first time round.