• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type 1: INTP or INFP or something else?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you meaning inferior Fe? Because these don't sound like healthy Fe expression.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you meaning inferior Fe? Because these don't sound like healthy Fe expression.

Then that answers the question "what happens to Fe in the type 4 at level 6, 7, 8, or 9." I'm not saying it's inferior. Maybe? But it's definitely dysfunctional.

As the Four moves to Two, when personality deteriorates, it involves an apparent last-ditch effort to preserve "whatever sanity is left." Certain unhealthy social behaviors, caused by fear of abandonment, lead others to try and avoid the Four, thus inducing greater fear of abandonment and clinginess. But chances are that the Four is not really that bad off, it just appears that way as a conscious or unconscious attention-seeking ploy. While the Four's sanity is not actually at risk at this level of deterioration, the sanity of those around the Four begins to crumble especially with those SO's who don't understand the Four and are desperately trying to help but are in actuality enabling the Four's behavior.

Do you think "inferior" is just Jung's way of saying "dysfunctional"?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then that answers the question "what happens to Fe in the type 4 at level 6, 7, 8, or 9." I'm not saying it's inferior. Maybe? But it's definitely dysfunctional.

As the Four moves to Two, when personality deteriorates, it involves an apparent last-ditch effort to preserve "whatever sanity is left." Certain unhealthy social behaviors, caused by fear of abandonment, lead others to try and avoid the Four, thus inducing greater fear of abandonment and clinginess. But chances are that the Four is not really that bad off, it just appears that way as a conscious or unconscious attention-seeking ploy. While the Four's sanity is not actually at risk at this level of deterioration, the sanity of those around the Four begins to crumble especially with those SO's who don't understand the Four and are desperately trying to help but are in actuality enabling the Four's behavior.

Do you think "inferior" is just Jung's way of saying "dysfunctional"?

I dunno. I'm not really into the Enneagram thing. I'm just trying to connect the two systems. It's something I will probably learn more about.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I just realized I made a typo that makes me sound uneducated, which I just now corrected. Don't you hate when that happens?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno. I'm not really into the Enneagram thing. I'm just trying to connect the two systems. It's something I will probably learn more about.

They don't connect well. You're probably not a 4 but a 5w4. Those suffer more severe detachment than 5w6. I know of one INFJ 5w4 on this forum, but that's not very common. I would definitely look into type 5 issues, but only in an effort to find out what to do next. Your life can't wait forever.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just realized I made a typo that makes me sound uneducated, which I just now corrected. Don't you hate when that happens?

I shudder at the thought.

I edited my response to your post to reflect your correction.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They don't connect well. You're probably not a 4 but a 5w4. Those suffer more severe detachment than 5w6. I know of one INFJ 5w4 on this forum, but that's not very common. I would definitely look into type 5 issues, but only in an effort to find out what to do next. Your life can't wait forever.

Oh my life can wait for centuries. Hahaha. No, you're right.

I've (tentatively) decided I'm a 5, but types 5 and 6 were tied for the highest count. 4,3, and 7 got the second highest. I could be 6. Or 5 w 6, or 6 w 5.

But anyway, this thread isn't about me. I'll post on mine when I decide.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh my life can wait for centuries. Hahaha. No, you're right.

I've (tentatively) decided I'm a 5, but types 5 and 6 were tied for the highest count. 4,3, and 7 got the second highest. I could be 6. Or 5 w 6, or 6 w 5.

But anyway, this thread isn't about me. I'll post on mine when I decide.

The issues or motives you talk about most often are those of the 5 - detachment, truth-seeking. Perhaps your test is right, affiliating with an external belief system/lifestyle such as Wiccan is more 6-like. I'd look into the 5w6 first.

Five deteriorates to Seven. This is basically just a certain flightiness in thought-behavior - can't stick to a single subject for long. Six deteriorates to Three, and becomes more narcissistic and ambitious, driven to succeed in an effort to provide more security for self.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The issues or motives you talk about most often are those of the 5 - detachment, truth-seeking. Perhaps your test is right, affiliating with an external belief system/lifestyle such as Wiccan is more 6-like. I'd look into the 5w6 first.

Five deteriorates to Seven. This is basically just a certain flightiness in thought-behavior - can't stick to a single subject for long. Six deteriorates to Three, and becomes more narcissistic and ambitious, driven to succeed in an effort to provide more security for self.

Yeah, more 5 then. I don't really affiliate myself with anything. I make the label my own rather than conform to any group. I want to blend in like a chameleon, but I always do and believe things for my own reasons and in my own ways on the inside.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, more 5 then. I don't really affiliate myself with anything. I make the label my own rather than conform to any group. I want to blend in like a chameleon, but I always do and believe things for my own reasons and in my own ways on the inside.

"The traits of the Five and those of the Six-wing combine to produce one of the most 'difficult' of the personality types to contact intimately or to sustain a relationship with." Personality Types.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could someone be type 5w4 if they score higher on 6? I fit the description of 5w4. I guess since we are discussing it I'll continue here.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could someone be type 5w4 if they score higher on 6? I fit the description of 5w4. I guess since we are discussing it I'll continue here.

Yes, because after testing it's still necessary to read type descriptions to make sure. The Enneagram Institute claims 90% accuracy on their RHETI, but I don't believe that. It's not a plausible figure in general for a personality test.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Knowledgable is probably not the right way to describe my understanding of all things MBTI. But Id like to think I have a decent grasp after browsing here for a few years :tongue:

The best information to share is to let it happen naturally. And by giving personal examples instead of a subjective factual impression about yourself. When I help type people in this post I take notice in particular to the style and write up of the post and what kind of mindset a person might have had when writing it. Its part intuitive. Also many people dont neccesarily know why they do the things they do and merely guess it. I did this as well. It took me quite some time to figure out my enneagram because of it.

That link was quite a nice read. A little bit subjective here and there, describing behaviours that may be present in these types but not neccesarily in all of them. Still the Fe inferior is quite accurate for me especially in younger years.

I have dealt with my inferior by becoming much more self confident in my abilities and couragious in my actions. Having a very extraverted job bringing me in contact with tens of people daily has really helped in achieving this. I can now be my true self without inhibitions anywhere I go. :)

Haha, maybe its my own naivety but you just come off as someone who does have some wisdom to dispense, outside of MBTI even.

Happen naturally, through normal interactions yeah, opposed to writing that list of yourself. I can see why. So tell me, how does my writing style come off as? :alttongue: I do a similar thing though when I want to understand someone better on the forum. I'm still kinda getting used to it really though. I guess its really Ne to read between the lines of things and how people present data, and what they think. Did you need a third party to intervene on your own enneagram type, to point out your underlying motivation?

Yeah, agreed. I found the way they presented Te a little odd, but I guess I suited it the most. I find myself relating to the inferior Fe also as well. It can be frustrating in that sense to narrow things down. But I am comfortable with Te. Organisation has probably be the number one thing in my life I could never sort out, and I think part of that was due to conditioning. I relate to the feeling of the Te outburst, and the end result.

So pretty much the underlying problem with your inferior Fe was the confidence in your own abilities? Sensitivity would be triggered if you where criticised on your own ability and actions, yeah? "I can now be my true self without inhibitions anywhere I go. " Alas, freeeeddooooom! That is great. :) I feel at ease mostly with this. What I don't feel competent is in me presenting myself logically and objectively. As well as my ability to NOT procrastinate and get things done. Know of any good inferior Te reads?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So pretty much the underlying problem with your inferior Fe was the confidence in your own abilities? Sensitivity would be triggered if you where criticised on your own ability and actions, yeah?

As well as my ability to NOT procrastinate and get things done.

True, yes; but Fe is more about relating to other people. So if you have a particular trigger with not being competent and it seems others are thinking this about you, it makes you paranoid. Or maybe you mean not having confidence in your social abilities. Which would be accurate too. You know it's not your strong suit, so you get paranoid you are doing it wrong.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, yes; but Fe is more about relating to other people. So if you have a particular trigger with not being competent and it seems others are thinking this about you, it makes you paranoid. Or maybe you mean not having confidence in your social abilities. Which would be accurate too. You know it's not your strong suit, so you get paranoid you are doing it wrong.

Yeah, I was trying to imply that, sorry if I wasn't being clear enough. In light of this I definately see more inferior Te in myself than Fe. Social abilities don't concern me much, I feel I get along with most people I come across, but confidence in the realm of logic and consistency certainly does haha.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I was trying to imply that, sorry if I wasn't being clear enough. In light of this I definately see more inferior Te in myself than Fe. Social abilities don't concern me much, I feel I get along with most people I come across, but confidence in the realm of logic and consistency certainly does haha.

Why is that (confidence in the realm of logic and consistency) Te?

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess a bad choice of words, I should keep what I mean more simple. Organisation, reliability, being able to express thing's logically. These things I suck at and exhaust me.
This is of my own limited understanding of Te.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess a bad choice of words, I should keep what I mean more simple. Organisation, reliability, being able to express thing's logically. These things I suck at and exhaust me.
This is of my own limited understanding of Te.

I have a thread on Te inferior. A type 6's love-hate relationship with authority is the closest analogy I can think of.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a thread on Te inferior. A type 6's love-hate relationship with authority is the closest analogy I can think of.

Could you link me to it? :)