• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help typing me?

Chocobo Breeder

So I've just started looking at enneagrams and I relate to all of them, as I think most people would, but I'm not sure how exactly you're supposed to find your dominant type and wing so I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks. I've received close, yet consistent results through quizzes, but I think my relation to the other types should be explained through my dominant type, right? Which makes me think I'm missing something. Or maybe it is explained and I just didn't get enough information on it. Or are personal experiences enough to make you differ from the typical enneagram types? And if it helps at all I'm an INTP that has some INFP traits (or maybe I'm an INFP if that's not allowed). I fit all of the typical descriptions of INTP and have never recieved an INFP result through any online quiz, but I am aware of my emotional sensitivity, able to see good in all things, have high standards for myself, and would like to impact the world, as small as the impact may be (I'd like to teach and share knowledge with future generations). I'm hoping my enneagram type can explain my behavior, or my overlap with my MBTI type. This is how I relate to the types:
The Reformer because Ones have a “sense of mission” that leads them to want to improve the world in various ways, using whatever degree of influence they have... they try to maintain high standards.

The Helper because people of this type are either the most genuinely helpful to other people... they have unconditional love for others.

Threes... enjoy motivating others to greater personal achievements than others thought they were capable of.

Fours... Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living.

Fives... Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment...Excited by knowledge...relentless pursuit of knowledge... deep insecurities about their ability to function successfully in the world (my insecurities are lessening though as I'm focusing on my abilities and seeking mastery rather than general and sparse data).

Sixes... Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity... foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion.

Sevens...optimistic, versatile, playful, high-spirited...enthusiastic about almost everything that catches their attention... they approach life with curiosity, optimism, and a sense of adventure, like “kids in a candy store” who look at the world in wide-eyed.

Eights typically have problems with their tempers...Eights enjoy taking on challenges themselves as well as giving others opportunities that challenge them to exceed themselves in some way...eights do not want to be controlled or to allow others to have power over them.

Nines... work to maintain their peace of mind just as they work to establish peace and harmony in their world.

My basic drives: to learn, to have enough time away from others, to be safe and live comfortably, to not have to rely on others, to contribute to humanity in some way.

My basic hurdles: fear of the unknown, worrying too much, finding enough alone time, having to ask others for help, controlling my anger (I don't get angry often but when I do it's like the NES game Rampage).

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think some of your drives are purely enneagram traits, but just traits in general. If you're sure you're an introverted judger (IP) I would rule out 7,3,1 and 8. Your fears seem 6ish but the first one is kinda universal. Any more info?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5w6 sp/so

Your basic fear stems from a lack of security in a dangerous world, and your primary means of combating it are the accumulation of knowledge and distance away from others. There's also plenty of six-ish focus in there as well. Wanted to life safely and help the world in some way seem fairly indicative of sp/so (I don't see anything in particular that would indicate sx).

I would alternatively consider 6w5 as well.

Chocobo Breeder

Any more info?
What kind of info are you looking for? I'm can also be very loud, outgoing and enthusiastic, I enjoy laughing and attempting to make others laugh lol. But all of this drains me so many people get confused when they find me fun and engaging one day and quiet and polite the next. Not sure if that's compatible with a 5w6 or 6w5 enneagram type or my MBTI, but I'm assuming they're only guidelines.

Your basic fear stems from a lack of security in a dangerous world, and your primary means of combating it are the accumulation of knowledge and distance away from others. There's also plenty of six-ish focus in there as well. Wanted to life safely and help the world in some way seem fairly indicative of sp/so (I don't see anything in particular that would indicate sx).
And thanks for this, Savage Idealist :). The order of my test results has been 5w6 followed by 6w5. Not sure exactly which one I relate to most, my SO thinks I come off more as a 5w6 based on descriptions we read online. Is there plenty of room for periods of goofiness and enthusiasm for that type? Or is it a given that all types can be like that?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of info are you looking for? I'm can also be very loud, outgoing and enthusiastic, I enjoy laughing and attempting to make others laugh lol. But all of this drains me so many people get confused when they find me fun and engaging one day and quiet and polite the next. Not sure if that's compatible with a 5w6 or 6w5 enneagram type or my MBTI, but I'm assuming they're only guidelines.

Definitely 6 or w6 then. My hunch is 6w5 more than 5w6 though.

Chocobo Breeder

Are you referring to this?

Because of this reactivity, no matter what we say about Sixes, the opposite is often also as true. They are both strong and weak, fearful and courageous, trusting and distrusting, defenders and provokers, sweet and sour, aggressive and passive, bullies and weaklings, on the defensive and on the offensive, thinkers and doers, group people and soloists, believers and doubters, cooperative and obstructionistic, tender and mean, generous and petty—and on and on. It is the contradictory picture that is the characteristic “fingerprint” of Sixes, the fact that they are a bundle of opposites.

Yeah... that sounds A LOT like me :O. No wonder I've been having problems with my MBTI type lol.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now being an enneagram 6, that narrows it down to... :)

INFJ
INFP
INTP
INTJ
ESTP
ESTJ
ESFJ
ESFP
ISFJ
ISTJ
ISTP
ISFP
ENTJ
ENFP
ENTP
ENFJ

:D

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Do you feel anxious all the time? If so, when you feel anxious, what do you tend to do - make friends, or collect information?

Chocobo Breeder

Do you feel anxious all the time? If so, when you feel anxious, what do you tend to do - make friends, or collect information?
When I'm anxious I hide away and collect information, and sometimes run to my SO for advice. And yeah if I'm already not getting my basic needs met, then I feel anxious over just about anything.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
When I'm anxious I hide away and collect information, and sometimes run to my SO for advice. And yeah if I'm already not getting my basic needs met, then I feel anxious over just about anything.

Sounds more like 6w5 sp

Chocobo Breeder

Sounds more like 6w5 sp

From wistfulwillow's recent thread, this is what I relate with for 6w5 and 5w6:

Six With a 5 Wing

...generally introverted...many realms of interest as well as surprising competencies and skills...original and idiosyncratic point(s) of view...can be bookish... feel rooted in the past or related to a long tradition...may test potential friends for a long time but once you're in, you're in - a friend for life...might act arrogant or cryptic or cynical when afraid...can be diplomatic and say things without saying them...cool and loners or argumentative, tending towards violence...can brood over injustices to them, entertain conspiracy theories, spend time alone building cases.

Five With a 6 Wing

...orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence...can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support...kind, patient teachers...may have a sense of mission and work hard...clumsy social skills...can be unnerved by the expectations of others...may like people more but avoid them more...sensitive to social indebtedness...fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead...ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand... develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers...more able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way...can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated... brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes...may mock authority, or angrily tell others off...tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

:huh:

Silveresque

So far I see you more as a 6w5 than 5w6, though I could still go either way. Which one of these sounds more like you?

TYPE 5: LECTURES/THESES/TREATISES
Detailed explanations, informative displays of knowledge, definitions, facts, precise instructions, logical, rational arguments
Self-talk: ‘I’m thinking …’

TYPE 6: CAUTIONS/CAVEATS/SETTING LIMITS
Questions, warnings, second-guessing, trouble-shooting, worst-case scenarios, defending / testing
Self-talk: ‘But what if …’

Chocobo Breeder

I don't know if it helps but I'm pretty positive my instinctual variant is sp/sx. Or could that apply to any type?

Chocobo Breeder

If this helps, my dream in life is to live alone in the mountains far away from the rest of humanity. I would love to have a library of information for my recreation, grow my own food, have a garden, and hike daily and observe the changes of the forest and appreciate the beauty and wonders of nature. I would want to have a complete grasp of all topics and leave nothing outside of my understanding. Then I could move into fine-tuning and simplifying my information. That would be an ideal world for me. Instead I'm living with my mom, going to school and working, and trying to adapt to my social surroundings and use it to my benefit, rather than fear and despise it lol. I'm also contemplating shaping my environment rather than just passively resenting it, like possibly creating charity organizations when I have the components necessary to do so and more stability in my life. Does this place me under any particular enneagram type? Or even MBTI in case I am missing something?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If this helps, my dream in life is to live alone in the mountains far away from the rest of humanity. I would love to have a library of information for my recreation, grow my own food, have a garden, and hike daily and observe the changes of the forest and appreciate the beauty and wonders of nature. I would want to have a complete grasp of all topics and leave nothing outside of my understanding. Then I could move into fine-tuning and simplifying my information. That would be an ideal world for me. Instead I'm living with my mom, going to school and working, and trying to adapt to my social surroundings and use it to my benefit, rather than fear and despise it lol. I'm also contemplating shaping my environment rather than just passively resenting it, like possibly creating charity organizations when I have the components necessary to do so and more stability in my life. Does this place me under any particular enneagram type? Or even MBTI in case I am missing something?

That just means your crazy...lol jk. I would consider type 9 (maybe 9w1) too as 9s move to 6 under stress. I think the moving away from humanity thing is mostly an sp thing too. I'm an sp 4 and would move to places like the mountains as well...maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe saying how you were younger would help.

Chocobo Breeder

That just means your crazy...lol jk. I would consider type 9 (maybe 9w1) too as 9s move to 6 under stress. I think the moving away from humanity thing is mostly an sp thing too. I'm an sp 4 and would move to places like the mountains as well...maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe saying how you were younger would help.

Lol I probably am crazy. I scored high on 9 also in quizzes. I'm not sure what to focus on from my childhood. I enjoyed learning, was good at recalling details, never understood people's thought processes, was able to relate to everyone while at the same time felt misunderstood, I liked to observe nature and animals and even kept a journal of the smallest changes I noticed, I enjoyed basic philosophy and science as a kid and being able to talk to others enthusiastically about those topics, I wanted to live alone in the mountains even as a child lol, kept a lot of thoughts to myself while at the same time would say certain things just to shake people up, enjoyed friendly competition in pretty much any area (sometimes got too into it though and would take on embarrassing dares), could be bossy at times, could be unassertive at others. I'm trying to think of other things, but I ran out for the moment, I'm probably overlooking some huge part of my personality too lol. Hopefully I'll remember later if I am.