• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on my type version 2.0

What's my type?

• INTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • INFP

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • INTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • other, or outside the box

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we were to type by functions, I would say INTJ Ni-Fi Loop. If we were to type by the tritype theory, I would say INTP/INFP/INTJ. If we were to type by type description, I would say INFJ. So I don't know lol.

Interesting. I won't argue that this doesn't make sense. I could see INFJ; however, in my personal research I discounted it because I am very different from the one INFJ I know in several ways:
-She is an extreme planner and organizer. She plans out her specific goals and much of her personal calendar way in advance, and organizes all sorts of events for the pagan community. I like to have a loose sort of plan and then define it when the time comes, and I don't much like to be responsible for other people.
-She is very concerned about proper behavior and what other people think of her. (Fe I am thinking.) I care about these things to some degree, I just consider myself my own authority ultimately, and think my opinion of what is appropriate is just as good as anyone else's.
-She is very concerned about what is ethical. I am too, but I am much less judgmental than she is. I think there is more than one way of looking at things, and often value judgments have nothing to do with it.
-She is much more religious than I am. I am spiritual but not religious. I say I connect with the goddess and god energy, but this is not really in a theistic sense. I think of it more in terms of archetypes.
-She is far more emotional than I am. I don't know if this is an INFJ thing or not, but it is a significant difference between us.
-She is much more sensitive than I am. She often doesn't take jokes very well and gets offended a lot. I like jokes, and don't really get offended at all. The only time I really get offended is if I feel like someone is insulting my intelligence and reasoning ability (and yeah I'm working on that).

Those are the most notable differences. It could be that she is simply an extreme case. Not saying your opinion doesn't make sense, just once again putting information and ideas out there to help type people.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've seen so many INFJ/INTP combinations that I should have thought of it long before this. As far as functions go, I'm seeing more Ni now that I think about it. I just don't like to. But I have to ask what it is about the INTP description that seems so accurate? For example,

"The most important thing to me is to know and understand reality and the ultimate truth of the universe (both objective and subjective)" ("INTPs value knowledge above all else"). But that's only a small part of the description compared to all this:

"Externally I value freedom, harmony, truth, responsibility, happiness, independence, collective empowerment, thinking outside the box, being openminded, seeing interconnectedness, having a balanced ego, compassion within reason, and honesty (both with others and yourself), among other things. I value practicality and applicability, as well as imagination and idealism and pointless mental activity. For me personally I value health and fitness, competence, being extraordinary, beauty, pleasure, logic, humor, being stable and sane, knowing myself, independence, maturity, and constant commitment to being my best." "My ethics have evolved over the years" ("INFJs place great importance on havings things orderly and systematic in their outer world. They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives." "They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be.") Some of that sounds Fi and some Ni.

So which type is more prominent?

I think the best way to do this is to put two descriptions up and highlight the parts that fit me and underline the ones that don't, along with elaboration and explanation. (If people want to take the time to read it.) I was intending to anyway, with my goal of helping type INXP's; so I guess the time has come. But not tonight haha. In the near future. I'm also going to "blow up" my own OP and analyze it, to put my own opinion out there. I just wanted some discussion unbiased by my thoughts before I did.

*And INFJ doesn't use Fi; I know it seems like they should, but it's Ni Fe Ti Se.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There isn't a lot that you've said that I would disagree with, and I'm pretty decisively an INFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the best way to do this is to put two descriptions up and highlight the parts that fit me and underline the ones that don't, along with elaboration and explanation. (If people want to take the time to read it.) I was intending to anyway, with my goal of helping type INXP's; so I guess the time has come. But not tonight haha. In the near future.

*And INFJ doesn't use Fi; I know it seems like they should, but it's Ni Fe Ti Se.

I've seen the side-by-side type comparisons done before but it can be done wrong. The most grievous error was the tendency to highlight or cross out bits and pieces of entire sentences or even single words pulled out of context. I would highly recommend considering entire sentences.

I wouldn't say that any particular INFJ (or other type) DOESN'T use a certain function, particularly when it comes to the shadow functions such as Fi in this case.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There isn't a lot that you've said that I would disagree with, and I'm pretty decisively an INFP.

Orly? ;) jk

Maybe it would be helpful to compare ourselves. :)

What are the main reasons you are sure you are INFP?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've seen the side-by-side type comparisons done before but it can be done wrong. The most grievous error was the tendency to highlight or cross out bits and pieces of entire sentences or even single words pulled out of context. I would highly recommend considering entire sentences.
Yeah good point, I'll make sure to do that.
I wouldn't say that any particular INFJ (or other type) DOESN'T use a certain function, particularly when it comes to the shadow functions such as Fi in this case.
I totally agree; I believe everyone uses the 8 functions. I was just referring to the main ones in case you hadn't read that far into it.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The only point of incompatibility is if someone uses subjective feelings to extrapolate universal truths which are in fact not objectively true. They are only true from that particular personal perspective. I see an Fi based value system to be vulnerable to this. So I judge myself to use Fe which is more collective and includes multiple perspectives, and is compatible with universal truths which transcend all personal perspectives. (Fe+Ti)

I don't always base my Fi values on my own feelings. Sometimes it's more.... well, I often identify my strongest values with my intuition (for a while I thought I was an Ni-dom)... my "universal truths" are obtained via my intuition (and it's what I tend to describe in philosophic terms rather than in personally meaningful ways). I very much value objectivity and knowledge, knowing the nature of reality, and understanding humanity.
I might just be drunkenly rambling, now, though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah good point, I'll make sure to do that.

I totally agree; I believe everyone uses the 8 functions. I was just referring to the main ones in case you hadn't read that far into it.

I don't know what I use Fe inferior for, if at all. But if my Si is a strong tertiary, then it uses a judging function to act as a kind of auxiliary, in this case, shadow Te. So my second MBTI type is ISTJ.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't always base my Fi values on my own feelings. Sometimes it's more.... well, I often identify my strongest values with my intuition (for a while I thought I was an Ni-dom)... my "universal truths" are obtained via my intuition (and it's what I tend to describe in philosophic terms rather than in personally meaningful ways). I very much value objectivity and knowledge, knowing the nature of reality, and understanding humanity.
I might just be drunkenly rambling, now, though.

Lol.
Well, this way of knowing truth I would say is pretty universal. I think the best way to know any truth is through one's intuition. I mean, I believe knowledge of ultimate truth is attainable by anyone, and intuition is kind of a combination of all the senses and functions combined. It is a balance of unconscious and conscious knowledge. I guess the complication and individual differences arise when either people let a function get out of balance and shut out the intuition (or only take in information to feed Ti or Fi), or through the weight they give to the particular CF's.

So I guess the question is how does an INFP value system differ from an INTP value system? I thought I understood it pretty well, but I'm going to have to think about it some more because evidently it's not as simple as I thought.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol.
Well, this way of knowing truth I would say is pretty universal. I think the best way to know any truth is through one's intuition.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Now you sound like a Ni user.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol.
Well, this way of knowing truth I would say is pretty universal. I think the best way to know any truth is through one's intuition.

I'm not seeing very many "Feeling" types of statements. But instead of focusing on that I have a set of Perceiving vs. Judging communication styles take from the book LifeTypes. Which ones do you think fit you better?

Discuss schedules and timetables and set realistic deadlines.
Dislike surprises and want advance warnings.
Expect others to move their thoughts to conclusions.
Fix positions and decisions, stating them clearly.
Orient communications toward results and achievements.
Talk with purpose and direction.
Focus my discussions on the content.
Dislike side discussions in meetings.

Or:

Dislike schedules and feel constrained by too many deadlines.
Like surprises and enjoy adapting to last minute changes.
Expect that others may not reach a conclusion.
Regard positions as tentative and subject to change.
Orient communications toward options and contingencies.
Talk about flexibility and change.
Focus my discussions on the process.
Not mind getting sidetracked in meetings.

Jaguar

There appears to be a contest in this thread to see who can take the longest to complete a task.
What a unique idea.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Now you sound like a Ni user.

Maaybe I am. What is intuition really? That's another thread I want to start, 'what is the difference between the common usage of intuition and the cognitive functions, and how does this common usage fit in'? Because in my statement I was referring to the former.

I'm not seeing very many "Feeling" types of statements. But instead of focusing on that I have a set of Perceiving vs. Judging communication styles take from the book LifeTypes. Which ones do you think fit you better?

Discuss schedules and timetables and set realistic deadlines.
Dislike surprises and want advance warnings.
Expect others to move their thoughts to conclusions.
Fix positions and decisions, stating them clearly.
Orient communications toward results and achievements.
Talk with purpose and direction.
Focus my discussions on the content.
Dislike side discussions in meetings.

Or:

Dislike schedules and feel constrained by too many deadlines.
Like surprises and enjoy adapting to last minute changes.
Expect that others may not reach a conclusion.
Regard positions as tentative and subject to change.
Orient communications toward options and contingencies.
Talk about flexibility and change.
Focus my discussions on the process.
Not mind getting sidetracked in meetings.

It seems like I have more of a judging communication style. It kind of annoys me when people endlessly talk about an issue without getting anywhere (aside from information gathering of course). I love exploring all options and perspectives, but I want to come to some sort of greater understanding, not just hear myself talk. Although I as far as schedules and deadlines are concerned, they tend to make me commitment phobic. But they kind of also make me feel more comfortable.

There appears to be a contest in this thread to see who can take the longest to complete a task.
What a unique idea.

If you are including me, I win.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MacGuffin - Now you sound like an Ni user.
Maaybe I am. What is intuition really? That's another thread I want to start, 'what is the difference between the common usage of intuition and the cognitive functions, and how does this common usage fit in'? Because in my statement I was referring to the former.

It seems like I have more of a judging communication style. It kind of annoys me when people endlessly talk about an issue without getting anywhere (aside from information gathering of course). I love exploring all options and perspectives, but I want to come to some sort of greater understanding, not just hear myself talk. Although I as far as schedules and deadlines are concerned, they tend to make me commitment phobic. But they kind of also make me feel more comfortable.

RaptorWizard - Strong with the introverted feeling, this one is!If you are including me, I win.

If you are an Fi user and you are Ni dominant, that would be INTJ.

btw looking for empirical evidence like what you are doing with these threads in my opinion is Te.

Of course I could be wrong, since Mal+ probably knows more about this stuff than I do and he seems to think INFJ, which makes sense if you are Ni dominant and have strong Ti, but then again, where's Fe?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you are an Fi user and you are Ni dominant, that would be INTJ.

btw looking for empirical evidence like what you are doing with these threads in my opinion is Te.

Of course I could be wrong, since Mal+ probably knows more about this stuff than I do and he seems to think INFJ, which makes sense if you are Ni dominant and have strong Ti, but then again, where's Fe?

Hiding.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soooo, since so many people who think I am INFP think so because I mention values and ethics, take a look at this thread on PerC and see if mine seem any different than the other INTP's. I think they are exactly the same. If you can't find any significant differences, I'd like to know what you think minus any mention of values and ethics in my posts.

http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/105998-intps-values-ethics.html

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soooo, since so many people who think I am INFP think so because I mention values and ethics, take a look at this thread on PerC and see if mine seem any different than the other INTP's. I think they are exactly the same. If you can't find any significant differences, I'd like to know what you think minus any mention of values and ethics in my posts.

http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/105998-intps-values-ethics.html

I was reading some Keirsey last night and saw a lot of NF in your posts based on his description of the Idealist type.

There's a lot of good comments in that thread on PerC. It's debatable to me that there's even such a thing as personal ethics per se because those are limited to birthplace and historical context. And then a universal ethics is either a set of values that everyone normally believes everywhere, or values that they should believe everywhere normatively. But such finer distinctions are rarely made on forums where nobody has read a book on ethics, just a webpage or two at wikipedia.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This is only confirming my INFJ call for you. It's not about being 100% this or that, and the scales tip toward J. But if you think more in terms of Ti (objectivity and logic) then I'd look into the concept of a NiTi loop which I've seen played out quite often.