• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my type? (INTx?)

Hresvelgr

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've taken a few tests online and have usually scored either INTJ or INTP, but tests can only do so much especially if sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm being honest while answering them.

Some things about me:
-When I'm interested in something, I tend to obsess over it. I've had 50+ page word documents of lists for potential stats and strategies in video games. I've watched the same movie 5+ times a day. On the opposite end, when I'm not interested in something, getting it done is like pulling teeth. I'd never do my homework in subjects that didn't interest me, and when I was put in a room with nothing but a desk and the homework for an hour a night as a kid, I'd often stare at the wall and think about my current interests rather than get the homework done.

-I was a 'problem' kid in school, not because I got into fights or acted out, but because I tried to find loopholes and/or "rebel" against the assignment given. Basically, I refused to do anything that I deemed to be "busywork" rather than having actual practical value and went on tirades about how school encourages mediocrity and following orders rather than creative problem solving. I was not well liked by my teachers, save for a few who strongly favored me.

-I have a small group of friends I interact with, but I dislike large groups. Even when I know everybody, I prefer to be with only one or two others at a time as I find conversations stay less focused in larger groups.

-I get extremely frustrated if something is wrong and I can't fix it right away.

-I am very critical of myself and others and have very high standards. If I make a mistake, I'm very harsh on myself about it. Sometimes I avoid trying my best just so I have an excuse if I don't do well enough and can avoid putting myself down.

-People tend to see me as blunt and rude, not because I outwardly insult people but because I tend to not consider people's feelings and ignore social conventions (ex I don't accompany my friends into the bathroom because I think the whole 'girls going to the bathroom in groups' thing is stupid, which has made people think I'm upset or angry at them when I'm not).

-I love creative projects, but I can't work on any sort of creative endeavor in groups. If I come up with an idea for a story or something and the other group members take it in a direction I don't like, I'll be miserable the whole time. I take (and enjoy getting) criticism and outside input, but only if I have final say.

-I can work on more logical endeavors in groups (ex we each have to fix one problem on the computer, or we each have to prepare a speech on one chapter of the history book) but only if the people in my group are around my level of competency. I get frustrated with people who are not on the same skill level as me and don't like teaching them, either.

-Huge changes in my routine upset me a lot. It took me almost three years from getting my first job to be comfortable with the idea of having a job, and at that point I was a great employee. Before that I was miserable every day I had to work and called in sick a lot, even when I wasn't sick.

-I'm not shy, but I prefer to be alone and don't like talking to new people unless we immediately have something in common.

-I elaborately consider as many results as I can so sometimes I'm slow to make choices.

-I'm generally good at understanding people, but I'm not very empathetic, especially when I think someone is incorrect, even though I understand why they think that way.

-I don't get how people can prioritize feelings over making their lives easier. EX: Not selling a family heirloom even for a million dollars in a time of high financial need because of the emotional value attached, or saving old photographs in a fire over something more valuable. I just don't get sentimentality, I guess.

-I love disturbing/unsettling things. Sometimes they're the only things that get an emotional reaction out of me.

-When I talk, I tend to ramble, but I'm a good listener, too, provided it's a topic of interest.

-I don't really care about my appearance. I buy maybe 1-2 items of clothing a year, usually to replace worn out stuff. I wear a T-shirt and jeans. All the time.

-I like both creative pursuits (writing, art) and scientific pursuits (biology, programming).

-I love film and I love books. Speculative fiction is my favorite genre, referring explicitly to things like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Harlan Ellison's stories, Ray Bradbury's stories, etc.

Okay, I think that's enough.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
I've taken a few tests online and have usually scored either INTJ or INTP, but tests can only do so much especially if sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm being honest while answering them.

Just a little random question:

What is the value and potential of outer space exploration, in your opinion? What would be the best use of the knowledge thereof ? Would / do the great breakthroughs provided by the field lend themselves better (in your mind) to creating mega-projects which would constitute large steps for the power and will of humanity (you of course rubbing your hands at the opportunity of being the pioneer)...or...simply to musings, abstract problem-solving, science-based fiction, philosophic discussions?...

Hresvelgr

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's a tough one...I think they are both important, honestly, but the first one perhaps just a little more so. Perhaps not right now, perhaps not in my lifetime, but I think eventually, much more advanced outer space exploration will be the best way to ensure humanity's survival from various possible crises so the sooner we start, the better.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
That's a tough one...I think they are both important, honestly, but the first one perhaps just a little more so. Perhaps not right now, perhaps not in my lifetime, but I think eventually, much more advanced outer space exploration will be the best way to ensure humanity's survival from various possible crises so the sooner we start, the better.

You know why I asked...it ressonates more with the INTJ.

Basically, I refused to do anything that I deemed to be "busywork" rather than having actual practical value and went on tirades about how school encourages mediocrity and following orders rather than creative problem solving. I was not well liked by my teachers, save for a few who strongly favored me.

-I get extremely frustrated if something is wrong and I can't fix it right away.

Those two quotes also point to a higher J (extraverted thinking rather than extraverted intuition).

What are your thoughts on this?

Hresvelgr

MBTI Type
INTJ
Makes sense! I read up on all the functions more and while I do relate to some INTP traits, INTJ seems like a better fit. Thanks!