User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default So, I took the Cognitive Function test. Am I kicked out of the INTP club, now?

I've known my MBTI type for a long time. I have consistently scored INTP on every test, every time for years. I dabbled with the 16 types, then I came here to mainly lurk around and learn more. I saw a lot of people stating that cognitive functions were a better indicator of personality, so I took two separate quizzes. Both gave me the same result with roughly the same percentage distribution. This is what I got:

"Your results:

Extroversion (11%) / Introversion (63%)

Sensation (9%) / Intuition (77%)

Thinking (94%) / Feeling (5%)

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (43%)
    your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (73%)
    your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (50%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (76%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
    your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (28%)
    your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (22%)
    your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (39%)
    your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    based on your results your type is likely - intj"

I'm not entirely sure how they derived INTJ since I seem to be all over the place, with Ni and Ti being codominant. I don't quite match any of the 16 types, but seem to be some sort of weird INTP/INTJ hybrid. This actually makes some sort of sense to me because my personality at work and school is very different from how I conduct things at home. I think perhaps my type is ALIEN. I would appreciate any thoughts since I'm still very much learning the different cognitive functions, how they work, and how they relate to one another. I appreciate any feedback.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Probably just indicates strong iNtuition in general. Like what I'm starting to call "cross-talk"; some Ne traits might be getting picked up as Ni. (The lines between them are often fuzzy, especially when these tests measure the functions by behaviors).
    Those tests aren't always better; there are often a lot of Forer effects. Which one was this? The one over on PerC? That one almost always yields results like this.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Tests aren't 100% reliable, given the construct of the particular test in question; certain ones are set up with questions that will produce unsatisfactory results. This test in particular, isn't all to bad actually, but it's far from perfect.

And of course, there's the matter concerning the test taker; the results depend on their imput, so a test that offers various results at any given time isn't invalid as is the user simply embraces different levels of thought and cognition depending on their mood or perception of self.

What you should do is research data concerning INTJ, compare it to data concerning INTP, and see which one better captures your method of information gathering, decision making, and overall perception of the world. But don't just take the test result at face value.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by herbpixie View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how they derived INTJ since I seem to be all over the place, with Ni and Ti being codominant. I don't quite match any of the 16 types, but seem to be some sort of weird INTP/INTJ hybrid. This actually makes some sort of sense to me because my personality at work and school is very different from how I conduct things at home. I think perhaps my type is ALIEN. I would appreciate any thoughts since I'm still very much learning the different cognitive functions, how they work, and how they relate to one another. I appreciate any feedback.
    Herbpixie,

Let it be said that this is what the test provided you with a result. However, if we use the functions to build a stack, like so...

Ti + Ni

Ne

Te

---

Fi

Fe (bottom)

Very introverted INTPs rely on Ni to a great extent, but not as much as Ti. Very introverted INTJs, likewise, may rely on Ti if their introversion is strong enough to 'cover' the extraverted thinking.

The solution here is to figure out :

1) which is the function that is indeed supreme (Ni or Ti?)

2) which extraverted function is most trusted upon (Ne or Te)?

It is very important to split those...the %s are close...too close. Very probably, you have stronger preferences than that, more than what the test gives you credit for.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I've known my MBTI type for a long time. I have consistently scored INTP on every test, every time for years. I dabbled with the 16 types, then I came here to mainly lurk around and learn more. I saw a lot of people stating that cognitive functions were a better indicator of personality, so I took two separate quizzes. Both gave me the same result with roughly the same percentage distribution. This is what I got:

"Your results:

Extroversion (11%) / Introversion (63%)

Sensation (9%) / Intuition (77%)

Thinking (94%) / Feeling (5%)

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (43%)
    your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (73%)
    your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (50%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (76%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
    your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (28%)
    your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (22%)
    your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (39%)
    your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    based on your results your type is likely - intj"

You scored INTJ because Ni is your highest scoring function, and Te is higher than Fe.

Se is your lowest score, which tends to point toward your dominant function being Ni.

However, I wouldn't trust just one test. And these types of tests don't provide a J/P score. It only assumes the J or P based on a formula that may not be right for you.

On the other hand, you could be a combination of types, such as INTP and INTJ. I don't think there's anything weird about that.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

intp/intj are okay, any sign of weakness on the s/n or t/f side is a definite no no.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Probably just indicates strong iNtuition in general. Like what I'm starting to call "cross-talk"; some Ne traits might be getting picked up as Ni. (The lines between them are often fuzzy, especially when these tests measure the functions by behaviors).
    Those tests aren't always better; there are often a lot of Forer effects. Which one was this? The one over on PerC? That one almost always yields results like this.
    I took two tests, and I scored the same stacking on each. On the second test, the percentage points between Ni and Ti were even lower, though--just a fraction of a point. I took the test on similarminds and the one on PerC.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    What you should do is research data concerning INTJ, compare it to data concerning INTP, and see which one better captures your method of information gathering, decision making, and overall perception of the world. But don't just take the test result at face value.
    I wouldn't, of course. I did take two, so it struck me that the cognitive function stacking on both was the same, and the percentages were also comparable. I'm relatively certain I'm an INTP. I just find the stacking to be rather odd, and I'm wondering if it's normal for these tests to yield results like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    Very introverted INTPs rely on Ni to a great extent, but not as much as Ti. Very introverted INTJs, likewise, may rely on Ti if their introversion is strong enough to 'cover' the extraverted thinking.

The solution here is to figure out :

1) which is the function that is indeed supreme (Ni or Ti?)

2) which extraverted function is most trusted upon (Ne or Te)?

It is very important to split those...the %s are close...too close. Very probably, you have stronger preferences than that, more than what the test gives you credit for.
    Thank you. I believe my dominant extraverted function is Ne. My humor is rather random and silly, and I'm not very motivated to schedule/structure. I think some of the questions regarding classifications/ordering in the quizzes threw me off because of the way that they were worded.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

first and most important thing to know about typology is that tests suck, dont trust them, better if you dont even do them, especially those tests that claim to measure functions, but just measure some random crap in reality
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    first and most important thing to know about typology is that tests suck, dont trust them, better if you dont even do them, especially those tests that claim to measure functions, but just measure some random crap in reality
    I wholly agree with this...even if I would not express it in the same way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I took two tests, and I scored the same stacking on each. On the second test, the percentage points between Ni and Ti were even lower, though--just a fraction of a point. I took the test on similarminds and the one on PerC.
    Try this one: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
    While still not perfect (none are, of course), it does usually give more realistic results.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas