123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default 4s: Wing 3 or 5?

Oh hey there.
    So, I'm a definite, 100% 4.
    However I'm still a little iffy on my wing, or generally, the overall differences between 4w3s and 4w5s. I have some 3 traits (need to please, enjoying recognition) as well as some 5 traits (logical at times, tendency to isolate myself, peering in on the world from the outside). I settled on 4w3 a while ago, but know I'm not sure!
    Anyone care to help out?
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    4w5-5w4-1w2 sp/sx
    Neutral Good
    Ravenclaw
    “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
    ― John Green

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

3 is less common, go with that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

at a glance, my instincts say 5 wing, but I need more info to say for sure. 5s and 5 wings are usually interested in learning the in-depth mechanics of things they're into, and 3s are motivated more by a desire for recognition. I've been staring at this page for like 10 minutes and that's all I got lol *subscribes to thread*
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

I'm surprised no one answered this seriously, seeing as there is 50000000000000 bajillion 4s online. Anyways...

-Tendency to isolate is not an exclusive 4w5 trait. In my opinion, that is a 4 thing in general.
    -I disagree with phrasing, "needing to please" (I like impress) associated with your opinion of the 4w3.

For a 4w3, there is some deceit. There is a shallowness/superficiality to the 4w3, even though people try to deny it. Underneath it all, the type does things to impress, to be seen, to be acknowledged. A 4w3 can appear like a 4w5, if that is what they desire. They are aware of their defectiveness and tries to hide it behind their 3 wing. I would say the type is very preoccupied with how they come across.

I can't speak entirely for 4w5, but I suppose there is some overlapping with E5 as there is a need to acquire knowledge for the sake of knowledge it seems. Perhaps they do it to cope from the world. They are more umm, "come as you are." To quote Kurt Cobain.

Also, there is some truth in what The Outsider posted. If you can read between the lines and disregard the snarky sarcasm.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

4w3: genteel, passionate, expressive, glamorous
    4w5: frugal, avant-garde, original, mysterious

4w3 are more currents than 4w5.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    4w3: genteel, passionate, expressive, glamorous
    4w5: frugal, avant-garde, original, mysterious

4w3 are more currents than 4w5.
    that's because we 4w5 are ahead of the curve.

I'm not Trunks

4w3 are bit emotional expressive and 4w5 are more quieter.
    3w2 are people oriented and 3w4 are more mood swing.

Myself are 3w4.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

4w3's need to express themselves with others, but 4w5's may have a harder time expressing their emotions or rationalize them to the point they aren't present to them. 4w5s are passionate, but are much more self-conscious about expressing their feelings. As a 4w5, I tend to overanalyze my own emotions and want to understand WHY I am feeling them, and relate it to philosophical concepts. I have a penchant for bookish and nerdy things in general due to a heavy 5-wing. Whenever I am with people that I am close with, I encourage them to be who they really are, get them to be more emotionally expressive and liberate the person that is within them. I really don't get too fussed over the "look at me" b.s.... so the "come as you are" thing applies indeed. I don't care if someone is cool or popular. As an sp/sx, it takes me a bit to bond with others, but once I do, I lock onto the person and welcome them into my inner world where they get treated with warm hospitality.

But yes, having a strong 5-wing definitely brings out the nerdiness here. Not only experiencing beauty in art/literature/music and the like, but experiencing beauty in scientific and philosophical theories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    For a 4w3, there is some deceit. There is a shallowness/superficiality to the 4w3, even though people try to deny it. Underneath it all, the type does things to impress, to be seen, to be acknowledged. A 4w3 can appear like a 4w5, if that is what they desire. They are aware of their defectiveness and tries to hide it behind their 3 wing. I would say the type is very preoccupied with how they come across.
    Damn. I may have been a little too harsh with the 4w3 description. I typically nitpick at 4w3 descriptions because it sounds kind of 7ish, but I haven't done any better. I focused too much on the negative aspects here and exaggerated a bit. I'm harsher with my own type for some reason.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Damn. I may have been a little too harsh with the 4w3 description. I typically nitpick at 4w3 descriptions because it sounds kind of 7ish, but I haven't done any better. I focused too much on the negative aspects here and exaggerated a bit. I'm harsher with my own type for some reason.
    It's better than most of the other descriptions I've read, which indeed do sound very 7ish.