User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Default HELP: Type my mom?!

So... I've been trying to type my mom for quite some time. We're very similar in some ways, but very different at the same time. For example, she hates that I'm a procrastinator and will wait till the last possible minute to do something. Here's some info about her.

• When given a project - she starts on it immediately and stresses until it's finished.
    • She leaves really early to make sure she gets to appointments/meetings 10-15 minutes early.
    • She is an artistic person, but wasn't really good at it until she took several classes to develop the skill.
    • She is very organized. She has four different filing cabinets in her house full of just about every kind of document possible. (bills, certificates, taxes, etc)
    • She isn't very empathetic towards others. If something were to happen one of her family members she would be, but not towards the general population.
    • She has one close friend and the rest of her friends are really just her family.
    • She doesn't mind going places by herself, as long as they aren't huge events with a lot of people.
    • She insists on telling people "what she would do" in their situation...even when they don't ask for it... And she has a habit of interrupting someone before they can say what they were going to do/have done.
    • We joke that she "looks" with her fingers because a lot of the time shopping she has to touch everything to see how it feels.
    • We have a hard time communicating... We can mean the exact same thing, but we'll convey it in different ways...thus resulting in an argument.
    • Her feelings get hurt easily, but she bottles it up.... And then explodes later...

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has... I'm just not sure what else to say right now!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

My first guess would be ISTJ based on these characteristics. I'll watch the rest of the thread though to see what else evolves!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yeah, I'm thinking ISTJ.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Ah... I hadn't even thought about ISTJ...

This definitely fits with her personality:
    Because the ISTJ has such a strong sense of duty, they may have a difficult time saying "no" when they are given more work than they can reasonably handle.

They may have difficulty picking up on emotional needs immediately, as they are presented. Being perfectionists themselves, they have a tendency to take other people's efforts for granted, like they take their own efforts for granted.

ISTJs are likely to be uncomfortable expressing affection and emotion to others. However, their strong sense of duty and the ability to see what needs to be done in any situation usually allows them to overcome their natural reservations, and they are usually quite supporting and caring individuals with the people that they love. Once the ISTJ realizes the emotional needs of those who are close to them, they put forth effort to meet those needs.

Ugh, and this much to my non-affectionate dismay! The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words.

Perhaps she is an ISTJ... This now leads me to believe that it's T types that I have a little bit of trouble communicating with and not Ns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

ISTJ would be my guess.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

She did the thing that throws me this morning... She complained about me not thinking ahead and always living in the present.... And I think that's why I always questioned if she was an N.... I suppose she's just got a well developed Ne?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    So... I've been trying to type my mom for quite some time. We're very similar in some ways, but very different at the same time. For example, she hates that I'm a procrastinator and will wait till the last possible minute to do something. Here's some info about her.

• When given a project - she starts on it immediately and stresses until it's finished.
    Judging.
    • She leaves really early to make sure she gets to appointments/meetings 10-15 minutes early.
    Judging.
    • She is an artistic person, but wasn't really good at it until she took several classes to develop the skill.
    ?
    • She is very organized. She has four different filing cabinets in her house full of just about every kind of document possible. (bills, certificates, taxes, etc)
    Judging.
    • She isn't very empathetic towards others. If something were to happen one of her family members she would be, but not towards the general population.
    Feeling.
    • She has one close friend and the rest of her friends are really just her family.
    Introverted.
    • She doesn't mind going places by herself, as long as they aren't huge events with a lot of people.
    Introverted.
    • She insists on telling people "what she would do" in their situation...even when they don't ask for it... And she has a habit of interrupting someone before they can say what they were going to do/have done.
    Judging.
    • We joke that she "looks" with her fingers because a lot of the time shopping she has to touch everything to see how it feels.
    Sensing.
    • We have a hard time communicating... We can mean the exact same thing, but we'll convey it in different ways...thus resulting in an argument.
    ?
    • Her feelings get hurt easily, but she bottles it up.... And then explodes later...
    ISFJ.
    I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has... I'm just not sure what else to say right now!
    I lived with an ISFJ for 13 years, so this one was easy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

She did the thing that throws me this morning... She complained about me not thinking ahead and always living in the present.... And I think that's why I always questioned if she was an N.... I suppose she's just got a well developed Ne?
    It could still be Si because she's learned that this is the way to handle things. Planning for the future can lie in the realm of being responsible and doing one's duty. I say ISTJ.

Do you know how others see her?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    It could still be Si because she's learned that this is the way to handle things. Planning for the future can lie in the realm of being responsible and doing one's duty. I say ISTJ.

Do you know how others see her?
    The biggest thing I hear people say about her is... "She's a very nice lady, but never ever get on her bad side."

Other stuff I hear people say...

"Your mom is always so prompt when we need something taken care of."
    "She's such an incredible painter, that must be where you got your creativity."
    "She's got such a sarcastic sense of humor, it's hard for me to tell whether she's being serious or not..."

Not sure if any of that helps really.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

She sounds like an ISTJ to me, as well.

I think that's a very J thing, too. My mom is ESFJ and definitely a future planner. We think about the future in different ways, though. I have a more nebulous idea of the future, and I'm always thinking about possibilities - as in ANYTHING that could happen. She generally thinks in a more concrete sense in terms of what she wants to do and what is likely to happen. My future orientation is vague and very global. Hers seems more specific and intentional. I think N types have that future orientation because the future is the big, undifferentiated place where anything could happen. It's very exciting in that it theoretically contains ALL potentials. Whereas J types have that future orientation because they're goal-setters and planners, and the future is distinct and measurable - the place where their goals reside.