123 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Can you switch types?

I know this has been discussed before, but is it possible? Can another person influence your type change?

I think my Husband has rubbed off on me over the years because I keep scoring INTJ whenever I take an MBTI test online. I think the kids have made me less J and my Husband has brought out my Thinking side.

When I first took an MBTI test online I scored I-56 N-75 F-12 J-78 and now

this.

Here are my results from January of this year.

Thoughts?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Probably for similar reasons that I sometimes test INTP. In the culture of your marriage you both value I, N, T, and J traits, so naturally that is what you will respond to in a test question. I think after we take so many tests and learn so much about the ideas in MBTI, we start to predict accurately which trait each question is measuring. I don't really think I'm an INTP but I get that result more often than any other, these days.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INtP

I don't know if it's so much a type change as a broadening of attitudes as you have experiences in different situations and spend a lot of time with people you care about (and see things from their point of view).

Part of it's also the nature of the questions that seem to be asked on various tests. For example, I'm a pretty strong P - but on most tests I've taken, I come across as much more J than I used to. Why? Work. A lot of the situations tests ask about only arise for me at work, and as I work in a very J environment, I tend to skew a bit that way because in that environment, it's simply the only way I'm allowed to function at all (although I try to avoid it, to the neverending annoyance of some supervisors ).

I imagine that having kids (especially kids the age your kids are) works just the opposite way - requiring a bit more spontaneity than your J-ness might otherwise prefer. So we adapt to circumstances. Do you still identify more with INFJ than INTJ?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Change your actual type? No.
    Change your expressed type? Well unless you are restricted or retarded then yes you should do this anyway.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Go to the Control Panel and follow the link to Edit Profile. Scroll down to additional information and you'll find a box that says "Type." You can change it to whatever you want.

Pretend moved to Feedback.

(I definitely think you can switch between types. Why not? For me, E/I and T/F switch the most. The problem with MBTI is that you're reporting on yourself which means [a] you're biased, [b] you may not know yourself [c] you may not understand the question or know how to answer it and [d] there's no baseline to compare to, so one person's intuition is another person's sensation.)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm constantly under the influence of T and frequently confined to a self-imposed solitude...

Yet I is and continues to be, a romantic idealist ENFP

:rolli:
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    OMNi

When I first took the MBTI, I tested as an INTP. Of course, I was very depressed and stressed out during those times. I actually found it strange that I had changed into an INFJ. However, during this time of change, I felt like I was returning to how I had been when I was a kid. Later, when I stumbled across some school evaluations from my elementary years, it confirmed that I was very much an INJ child.

I think stress and depression can change a person's type. Also a change in the environment can temporarily change a person's type. For example, people act differently at work than at home. And I think people can develop other functions and that can distort type. Overall though, I think there is a set of preferences that are ingrained from childhood and those represent the most natural type for an individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i strongly doubt someone can switch their preferred cognitive functions.

it definitely makes sense that people will test differently over time, though. but tests hold very little weight anyway.

i think i've tested as every N type.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

We don't change our preferred type but our perception of our type changes over time. We also evolve within own type and learn new skills use lesser-used functions more gracefully and in stress we can dip into our shadow functions. External factors can influence us to do do both. However despite all this our core stays the same, there's just different expressions of it.
    ~INFJ~
    -4w3 so/sx or sx/so

"Ideals are like the stars: we never reach them, but like the mariners of the sea, we chart our course by them."

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Organically speaking, I don't believe you can switch types. However, you can certainly "put on" or project other elements.

ENFJ = Fe>Ni>Se>Ti - Fi>Ne>Si>Te

I have access to ALL of those functions, but obviously PREFER (unconsciously choose) certain functions over others. I can use my Ti, but I don't RELY on it. Sometimes, I use the "ghost" functions, such as Fi WITH Fe but I don't dwell in Fi. See what I mean? Everyone's got different grasps on their function order, but it's not because you changed. You're just better able to access an otherwise distant or lower-tier function because of your exposure to T.

I sound very T at times and can be brisk and business-like and even harsh, but I'm not T.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious