User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Nope. but you can change which functions you're using at a given time.

The "type" you are just refers to your "preferences," ie your default.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but is it possible? Can another person influence your type change?

I think my Husband has rubbed off on me over the years because I keep scoring INTJ whenever I take an MBTI test online. I think the kids have made me less J and my Husband has brought out my Thinking side.
    I don't see it as changing the preferences, I see it as tempering them and allowing us to cope better in less-preferred situations and even perhaps becoming comfortable.

I can act more "J" when I need to, but it exhausts me if I do it too long. I didn't used to be able to do it at all, honestly. I don't think it made me "more j" in nature, though -- I just see the value in it and can use it as a tool.

Just like T's or F's might still be T or F based on how they approach something, but they have learned to take the other approach into account and see value, rather than feeling threatened or getting mad when others use it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't see it as changing the preferences, I see it as tempering them and allowing us to cope better in less-preferred situations and even perhaps becoming comfortable.
    Yeah, otherwise known as accruing wisdom.
    She might be changing types if she's starting to exhibit completely different character flaws, but that's probably not the case and I can't see how that would happen either unless someone got brain damage.
    I don't wanna!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Type isn't even real. Cognitive processes are.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Organically speaking, I don't believe you can switch types. However, you can certainly "put on" or project other elements.

Wtf are you talking about 'organically speaking'? I think I know, and if I'm right I agree, but I don't know, so I might not.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post

Wtf are you talking about 'organically speaking'? I think I know, and if I'm right I agree, but I don't know, so I might not.

I mean if someone didn't break into your house in the middle of the night and swap your brain with a remotely-controlled robotic nuclear-pile device. I can't believe I'm explaining that to you, as obvious as it was!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

What is this an acid trip?

Oh wait - I think that happened on episode spongebob squarepants or some other such show. Then again it could just as easily be both. Or maybe the proc stacks diminishingly.

Fine. Don't answer.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INXJ

There’s also the theory that you more or less automatically integrate your lesser functions with age. An INFJ, for example, begins using the 3rd function, Introverted Thinking, more often beyond approx. 25, and the 4th, Sensing, at around 40. Obviously, not all of us are textbook cases and other external factors play a role; that’s why typing fictional characters can be dicey (not that it stops me from trying), because we usually see them under extreme influences for dramatic purposes. One way to get a fix on your root type then is to try to remember how you were under age 25 when you’re answering test questions.

Though most people don’t actually change types, I don’t think you can totally rule out exceptions to any typology. That seems too dogmatic. We simply lack the tools to measure the vastly complex psyche with that much precision and certainty. It’s like measuring a nebulous quantum particle; you can never reduce its probability cloud to a complete and accurate set of properties and fixed location. And the measurements are always observer-influenced, never totally objective.
    "Space was big, and the boys from Earth were awed despite themselves by the things they found there: but worse, their science was in a mess. Every race they met on their way through the Core had a star drive based on a different theory. All those theories worked, even when they ruled out one another’s basic assumptions. You could travel between the stars, it began to seem, by assuming anything.”

—M. John Harrison, “Light”

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but is it possible? Can another person influence your type change?

Thoughts?
    Type doesn't change. You simply develop and/or use functions as you adapt to your environment which is why the thought of continued testing and more so deciding one's type from cognitive test is preposterous.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Type doesn't change. You simply develop and/or use functions as you adapt to your environment
    How do you know? I want a full QED, which is, I think what Jen was hoping for.

which is why the thought of continued testing and more so deciding one's type from cognitive test is preposterous.
    Trust me, there are many, much more relevant reasons.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    How do you know? I want a full QED, which is, I think what Jen was hoping for.
    Not sure what you mean by QED, but Jung was explicit in saying:
    For the sake of clarity let us again recapitulate: The products of all the functions can be conscious, but we speak of the consciousness of a function only when not merely its application is at the disposal of the will, but when at the same time its principle is decisive for the orientation of consciousness. The latter event is true when, for instance, thinking is not a mere esprit de l'escalier, or rumination, but when its decisions possess an absolute validity, so that the logical conclusion in a given case holds good, whether as motive or as guarantee of practical action, without the backing of any further evidence. This absolute sovereignty always belongs, empirically, to one function alone, and can belong only to one function, since the equally independent intervention of another function would necessarily yield a different orientation, which would at least partially contradict the first. But, since it is a vital condition for the conscious adaptation-process that constantly clear and unambiguous aims should be in evidence, the presence of a second function of equivalent power is naturally forbidden'.