• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please, some Hints for an INxx on his Type

HowWhyWhen

Now, before I get all locked up in some type, if anybody could help me in finding a type that would fit me, it would be appreciated. I believe myself to be an INxx of some kind, most likely an INTP. I'll try to paint a picture of how I believe I appear, was, and am like, hoping it doesn't seem too random.

Me, and People
As a school child, I was a loner until about the age of 13-14, when I got a bit more expressive than I had been before, and started gaining a small group of friends, with whom I still spend a good deal of time with at the age of 24. As time passes, the group slowly grows bigger.

In this group, I often have an advisor-like role. I think that by them I'm considered independent, intelligent and open. I don't impose my views on people, but try to enable them to solve problems and conflicts themselves by giving hints, when they aren't just in need of someone to listen. That hasn't happen very often for some time, though.

As we don't meet up that often, we decided to make a little club, which meets up every 3 months, and on christmas and easter. The 'chairman' who coordinates it together with two others ('the board') has tried to convince me to 'run' as 'deputy chairman', and I've consistently said no. Firstly one of my younger brothers wants it now that it's free and he'll do fine, secondly it seems overly formal, thirdly I don't want to be some authority figure.

Me, and my Interest
Anyway. Before I reached the 13-age mark that I mentioned above, I was quite content to live in my own world, and for the most part didn't identify with the other children I was surrounded by.

Most of my interest were quite introverted, and still are; I like writing and reading, and especially wrote a lot in my first years of school, playing chess, which I didn't have the necessary patience for however, and playing games like Civilization and (traditional western) RPGs. When I didn't, from time to time, play soccer.

In high school I was in a band, were I sung and enjoyed it a lot. It was a possibility to express myself in a way that didn't seem... inappropriate. I would like to do it again, someday, and have discussed it quite a bit with my younger brother, who plays bass.

I've also, in the last few years, spend a good amount of time in politics in a youth organisation. I enjoy discussions about ideas on how to look at the world and my country, how we wish it to be in the future, why and how we'll get there.

Me, and Academics
I performed well in school in most subjects. My teachers in my first language-subject considered me very imaginative, my math teachers in the latter grades said that I had a tendency to forget making the steps I made when solving assignments completely clear, but they didn't consider it much of a problem.

I usually perform well at written exams and horribly at oral exams, where I have to think much more on the fly than I'm good at and... it's an awkward situation all in all. My teachers thought I was much more independent in class than at exams. At high school I turned into a bit of a slacker, and have never really returned to my younger selfs more structured way of studying.

I studied economics and got a bachelor's degree, and continued studying it a bit after that, but should have quit sooner as the focus was far more on maths than I could enjoy; it's not that it's that difficult, it's just very uninteresting. My bachelor's degree can't be used for anything in this country, so I'll study something else (going to school is luckily free here and I'll hopefully be able to get some credit), and aim for some kind of teaching position, where I can hopefully help develop the hearts and minds of young people.

My questions
I'm sorry if it got a bit long-winded. Is this enough to give you some idea, or was it mostly useless info? What type would you believe me to be, and why?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem introverted and intuitive, but there's not very much more in your bio directly related to type. There is a good questionnaire on this site.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could be a "behind-the-scenes Rational."

Temp-Style.jpg

(Stolen from VagrantFarce.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think you're looking at this:

"In this group, I often have an advisor-like role. I think that by them I'm considered independent, intelligent and open. I don't impose my views on people, but try to enable them to solve problems and conflicts themselves by giving hints, when they aren't just in need of someone to listen. That hasn't happen very often for some time, though."

"Open" is a good clue, among others. "How we wish it to be in the future" (lower down) is an N statement. Talking about the future of humanity in an idealistic sense is an NF feature.

I'll say INFP, Behind-the-scenes Idealist.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Personally, all I really needed to see was this:
Now, before I get all locked up in some type,

And the rest just sort of confirmed it. I've noticed that the people who view type like some impersonal prison infringing on their Unique Snowflake Identity tend to be Te-inferior/tert. And, like you said, seems like a behind the scenes, one-on-one interpersonal shepherd with rather social interests. For N vs S, as always, it's easy to go either way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And the rest just sort of confirmed it. I've noticed that the people who view type like some impersonal prison infringing on their Unique Snowflake Identity tend to be Te-inferior/tert. And, like you said, seems like a behind the scenes, one-on-one interpersonal shepherd with rather social interests. For N vs S, as always, it's easy to go either way.

Agreed, and I'm not denying that there are a lot of little things indirectly related to type in that description.

For example, consider this: "I had a tendency to forget making the steps I made when solving assignments completely clear, but they didn't consider it much of a problem."

The first part relates to Intuition. These types can see through a math problem to its solution without taking the intermediate steps toward solving it.

Now in my day, MY ALGEBRA TEACHER WOULD HAVE HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THIS. Not solving the problems step-by-step would reduce my score on the problem by 1/2. So even if I got them all correct, I would have received only half a grade by using intuitive problem-solving methods.

"But they didn't consider it much of a problem." Really? Is this a commentary on today's teaching methods? How is it related to type?

The real problem is determining which parts of a bio are type-related.

HowWhyWhen

And the rest just sort of confirmed it. I've noticed that the people who view type like some impersonal prison infringing on their Unique Snowflake Identity tend to be Te-inferior/tert.
That seems like a bit of an overstatement. It was meant as an attempt to use humor to describe that I am uncertain about how to view each of the types and in what way I fit in them; that I would like to try to avoid any unnecessary presumptions.

And, like you said, seems like a behind the scenes, one-on-one interpersonal shepherd with rather social interests. For N vs S, as always, it's easy to go either way.
That seems to be how I described myself when I read it again. I have noticed that the roles I 'play' can be quite different from one situation to the next, and in different stages in my life I have been considered quite cold by others. Anyway, your conclusion would be an Fi-dom? An ISFP or INFP?

"But they didn't consider it much of a problem." Really? Is this a commentary on today's teaching methods? How is it related to type?
Should probably have put a 'usually' inside that quote; the culture I was schooled in was not very test heavy, and of course I didn't get all the points for those parts of the assignments. Not quite as hard as half, though.

The real problem is determining which parts of a bio are type-related.
This hits the nail on the head. My problem is that it's not possible for me to look at myself or look at the way I think from the outside. Writing this didn't really get away from that problem.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Agreed, and I'm not denying that there are a lot of little things indirectly related to type in that description.

For example, consider this: "I had a tendency to forget making the steps I made when solving assignments completely clear, but they didn't consider it much of a problem."

The first part relates to Intuition. These types can see through a math problem to its solution without taking the intermediate steps toward solving it.

Eh...part of this is just intelligence. I don't see this as N-signaling as much as it could simply be Te-weakness.

Sensation is unfairly assumed to be rigid and detail oriented which can be extremely inaccurate when trying to describe SPs, as "open" is precisely what I'd describe any SP to be. So it's very easy to see an "open" style and assume N, when that's not guaranteed. I can easily point to the poster's enjoyment of music and band as pure expression to be indicative of SP "performer/artisan" styles, but I don't think that's responsible typing at all, and just cherry picking.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh...part of this is just intelligence. I don't see this as N-signaling as much as it could simply be Te-weakness.

Sensation is unfairly assumed to be rigid and detail oriented which can be extremely innacurate when trying to describe SPs, as "open" is precisely what I'd describe any SP to be. So it's very easy to see an "open" style and assume N, when that's not guaranteed. I can easily point to the poster's enjoyment of music and band as pure expression to be indicative of SP "performer/artisan" styles, but I don't think that's responsible typing at all, and just cherry picking.

Actually, I assumed that "open" was perceiving. But I agree about SP, they're not all like that. My ISFP wife isn't like that.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Join the INTPs. They are cool people. [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] is INTP, and I am either INTP or ISTP, so we Ti's can claim your soul mwahahahaha!

HowWhyWhen

Join the INTPs. They are cool people. Mal+ is INTP, and I am either INTP or ISTP, so we Ti's can claim your soul mwahahahaha!

My soul? You can have it, if you can find it. Do atheists have souls?

Anyway. I've tried to fill out the questionnaire. Hopefully, my answers make at least some kind of sense and give something close to a full, clear picture.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
- I am certain about being an introvert and believe myself to be an intuitor. I have an idea about being a Ti-dominant, but I'm not completely sure about it.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
- I don't feel like my life has one single purpose. I would like to get a better picture of how the world works, a job that I enjoy and which gives me the possibility of development. The money isn't that important to me if I can just get a reasonable standard of living, and a loving group of friends and family.

I would like to be able to change the world, but I don't have the charisma nor gift of the gab that is needed to make real, great changes - I might seek running for some sort of small public office in my home town. I don't think I could point out how all my life should be now that I'm a 24-year old. I don't really want to, either; there's really no way to know how I'll feel about the direction of my life in 5, 10 og 20 years. I know I want some children, sometime in the future. I'll just need to find that woman to give birth to them, first.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
- I am usually proudest of myself when standing of for someone that aren't able to themselves. I like helping people to get a better understanding, and hearing that they appreciate my insights. It gives me a sense of purpose.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
- When forced into a situation where I have to small-talk with people I have no relation to, and no idea about the other persons favorite topics. Especially when there's no opportunity to really go deeper.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
- How I make decisions depend on what kind of decisions has to be made, and in what kind of environment the decision has to be made. I think I would most often attempt to find different possible solutions and then weigh the strengths and weaknesses of each of the possible solutions against each other, when the solution isn't immediately apparent.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
- I don't like letting others have too much control of the project. I need to have an idea of where it's heading. Well, if I'm in the lead. Otherwise, I'll accept most roles. I would prefer if the most of my actual work could be done on my own.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
- I sang with my band at a concert which is held every summer in my town. A lot of people who have connections to the town visits it each summer. Standing on stage was a bit of an adrenaline-rush, and I felt like I in some way got out of my shell.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
- I'm more prone to theorize, or jump right into the problem and put the pieces together along the way. I dislike spending a lot of time on memorizing, and usually don't get that much out of it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
- I'm usually good at seeing what would be the best way of getting around a problem. I hate cleaning and my books and paper always lie in stacks around my desk. My desktop on my computer very rarely have more than a few icons and my browser rarely has more than a few tabs open. I'm good at outlining my papers. It depends on the circumstances, but I'm not bothered much by lack of organization.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
- I first seek a general understanding of the idea, and if it does make sense to me, I'll seek information to make fit into a bigger picture.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
- I try to push forward for tolerance towards differences, and for the group to accept them; to find some kind of agreement that everyone could live with.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
- I think before speaking and prefer one-on-one communication. Small groups are fine, too, but mostly when they consist of people I know well.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
- I have an unfortunate tendency to use a lot of time thinking about doing something - but never really getting around to doing anything. I would like to improve that.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
- They'll hopefully let me wait for the hour or so that my favorite show takes, and then I'll join up with them. I'd rather drop my show completely, than drop my friends completely.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
- I'll go even more introverted, and avoid talking about it to the people surrounding me, and try to work through it on my own. I don't often consider taking others people input when stressed.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
- Lack of consistency in thought and action, lack of willingness to seek understanding.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
- Politics, religion, society, music, relationships.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
- Keeping a regular schedule. I work, think and act in burst, so I may lay down for periods of time, where I neglect all sorts of things, often routine-stuff like doing dishes and washing clothes. I experience having no clean pants far too often.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
- As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think they look as me as intelligent, independent and open. That I use most of my time in my own head. That I'm cool-headed. I've heard some describe me as having two different modes; one where I'm very stuck in own mind, and one where I get very open-mouthed and outwardly orientated. Not very often a mix of the two. I don't think they would call me selfish, or consider me a leader.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
- I would like to spend my time reading, writing, spending time with a small group of friends and play board games with them. I would try to squeeze some listening to music into most of it. Perhaps having a beer or two at a concert?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely INFP.

HowWhyWhen

Definitely INFP.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you mainly believe it to be so, because I show a lack of Te, or? Could you, or anyone else for that matter, please tell me the positive and negative qualities that I exhibit that match an INFP and matches other types poorly?

It is quite different from the INTP that I thought I was, and other Ti/Fe-types like the ISTP and INFJ that I hadn't completely ruled out.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for your answer.

Any time.

Do you mainly believe it to be so, because I show a lack of Te, or? Could you, or anyone else for that matter, please tell me the positive and negative qualities that I exhibit that match an INFP and matches other types poorly?

It is quite different from the INTP that I thought I was, and other Ti/Fe-types like the ISTP and INFJ that I hadn't completely ruled out.

I looked for signs of the four letters in your description. I noticed introversion, intuition, feeling, and perceiving.