User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ExFP

Hmm.. he reminds myself of me when I was younger and more INFPish, I was also kinda messed up as a kid. My family's mostly S and my mom's a reaaaally overbearing ESFJ.. but then the description of him is 90% like an INFJ friend of mine. The whole "vision of doom" thing is what my ISFJ GF does ALLLLL the time.. so I don't know if INFP's or INFJ's are more likely to have those?

MBTI
    INFP

Sorry about the delay in replying. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    This could be both NFP and NFJ, but stressed NFPs normally see all the possibilities for how they're wrong as well, since Ne is better at gathering all possibilities from the outside, while Ni tends to be more influenced by pre-existing convictions. That said, Fi can be a master of limiting Ne and denying and ignoring anything negative Ne comes up with, so it's not really conclusive in either direction.
    Generally, I find that if I am presented with something disagreeable, like a stressful idea or thought, I will immediately KNOW the truth behind it, and all of the possibilities, yet I often immediately deny it DUE to the stress it gives me. To me that seems more like Fi inhibiting Ne.

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    It will be less visible to outsiders than if you're ENFJ, but internally INFJs can be emotional nerveballs. Ni setting up unrealistic expectations of how the world ought to be, Fe getting repeatedly disappointed and depressed by the world and yourself not living up to the ideal.
    Hmm, I definitely relate to that. I often do have ideals which I get disappointed about, and generally I am an excessively huge ball of nerves, constantly worrying about things which might happen and which I might not be doing well and never living in the moment and enjoying things (well, rarely).

Thanks a lot for the link, that's a page I saw ages ago but totally forgot about. It looks like a great help.
    "I'm just not meeting these fantasy ideals of yours which are mine." -Adrian Madden

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
    Sorry about the delay in replying. I really appreciate everyone's help.
    Meh. No worries. It pops directly up on the New Subscribed Threads when you post, and everyone forgets about the thread in the mean time, so a delay is never an issue.

Generally, I find that if I am presented with something disagreeable, like a stressful idea or thought, I will immediately KNOW the truth behind it, and all of the possibilities, yet I often immediately deny it DUE to the stress it gives me. To me that seems more like Fi inhibiting Ne.
    Yes, definitely.

Hmm, I definitely relate to that. I often do have ideals which I get disappointed about, and generally I am an excessively huge ball of nerves, constantly worrying about things which might happen and which I might not be doing well and never living in the moment and enjoying things (well, rarely).
    So we're back to square one. Probably INFJ or INFP.

Thanks a lot for the link, that's a page I saw ages ago but totally forgot about. It looks like a great help.
    It'll be very interesting to see which you end up on. I guess it's possible that you're high on both Ne, Ni, Fe and Fi, but you're probably more one type than the other still. Take your time and please post if you come to a conclusion. I'm curious.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

Seriously, I can't tell what'n'hell he is at this point. Definitely between those two, and worse yet, shows a frustratingly equal amount of both outwardly.

I remember ready Vicky Jo's INFP/INFJ site, and I've tried to type him more based on his communication style. I could be wrong, but what I have noticed is he's about equal now; when he's confident and feeling ok, he's bossy and directing, but when he's stressed and anxious, he's informing all over the place. That doesn't tell me much at this point. I know that, for me, I'm directing unless I know I have to force myself to be informing to 'appease'.

So that...really settles that!

As for INFJs being anxious wrecks? Haven't known one that wasn't. I'm surprised I haven't had a heart attack yet, my friend of 15 years still can't let bad future possibilities go, and the local INFJ here in town has panic attacks and break downs under stress quite often.

YEAH! Love it. I'm starting to think that's just the condition of the species, but my INTP guy friend is about as anxious as a sloth on Quaaludes.

ONE QUESTION: is it more likely for INFPs to be 'spacey' as opposed to INFJs? The INFJs (including myself) I know aren't terribly spacey people. The couple of INFPs I've known are/have been. Just a coincidence, or a common associated feature?

He's very spacey.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hotherym View Post
    Seriously, I can't tell what'n'hell he is at this point. Definitely between those two, and worse yet, shows a frustratingly equal amount of both outwardly.
    That makes it impossible for anyone but himself to conclusively type him. The two types can look very similar outwardly sometimes, and the type descriptions can look very similar, but they should be fundamentally different in how they operate internally.

I remember ready Vicky Jo's INFP/INFJ site, and I've tried to type him more based on his communication style. I could be wrong, but what I have noticed is he's about equal now; when he's confident and feeling ok, he's bossy and directing, but when he's stressed and anxious, he's informing all over the place. That doesn't tell me much at this point. I know that, for me, I'm directing unless I know I have to force myself to be informing to 'appease'.
    Hm... yes, communication style is a typical tell, but I've met obvious INFPs who were rather bossy and directing in style, both when confident and when anxious, and INFJs who were masters of informing (though there was a clear "bossyness" about their style when confident.)

So that...really settles that!

As for INFJs being anxious wrecks? Haven't known one that wasn't. I'm surprised I haven't had a heart attack yet, my friend of 15 years still can't let bad future possibilities go, and the local INFJ here in town has panic attacks and break downs under stress quite often.
    It seems like INFJs suffer more from this tendency than most types yes (ISFJs can be close sometimes). A prey mentality, kind of like a rabbit, constantly sniffing the metaphorical air, ready to react on the spot to any possible threat. INFPs can be very anxious and do this too, but never on a stress scale close to what an INFJ can manage. And the strange thing is INFJs can handle it extremely well (seemingly at least). Pushing themselves through extreme periods of stress on pure will where an INFP in a similar situation would probably give up. (Of course much of the extreme stress is internal and does not really reflect reality, but it's still a feat.) Because of this willpower an INFJ in stress will probably listen less to their body than an INFP and hit the wall and suffer anxious breakdowns more often.

YEAH! Love it. I'm starting to think that's just the condition of the species, but my INTP guy friend is about as anxious as a sloth on Quaaludes.
    INTPs have their share of anxiety too, but rarely show it.

ONE QUESTION: is it more likely for INFPs to be 'spacey' as opposed to INFJs? The INFJs (including myself) I know aren't terribly spacey people. The couple of INFPs I've known are/have been. Just a coincidence, or a common associated feature?

He's very spacey.
    Definitely more likely for an INFP to be spacey. Less structured, more Ne. Both types can get lost in their own worlds, but INFPs more so than INFJs.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTP

--He places himself before anyone else, often to the point of neglecting his own needs.
    How does placing himself in front of others neglect his needs? I don't get that one.

Do you mean like he gets so wrapped up in himself that he forgets that there are people out there that will sell him groceries and he'll start starving himself because of his own vanity?

Because if that is what you meant - it's meaning is a little convuluted to be carried within your message. I'm amazed I extracted it.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Strike that.

Too confusing to type. Doesn't really fit any.

Mental illness?
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Mental illness?
    Hey!

Mort Belfry: No, not quite. More like I will get so obsessed about making, say, Hotherym, feel better, even on the phone, that I will end up staying awake until 6 (or later) in the morning and totally neglecting my need to sleep, eat or even drink water. It feels like I create these obsessions and will try and achieve them until I basically drop. I can do that with other things too, but not really the same scale, because I take helping people in situations like that much more seriously than anything else, really.
    "I'm just not meeting these fantasy ideals of yours which are mine." -Adrian Madden

MBTI
    INTP

Hey!

Mort Belfry: No, not quite. More like I will get so obsessed about making, say, Hotherym, feel better, even on the phone, that I will end up staying awake until 6 (or later) in the morning and totally neglecting my need to sleep, eat or even drink water. It feels like I create these obsessions and will try and achieve them until I basically drop. I can do that with other things too, but not really the same scale, because I take helping people in situations like that much more seriously than anything else, really.
    That sounds more like you're putting others before yourself, not yourself before others.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

I worded that a bit bizarrely, but basically he puts others before himself for his own odd insecurities. For a better explanation, see what he said. I meant much more that he places others before himself, but I was also trying to explain why, and in my hurry muddied the whole thing.

As for mental illness, I really don't think so right now. At least not more than most people I meet. Besides, I'm sure you can type many people with mental problems, of which there is certainly no shortage.