• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFJ or INTJ?

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
So I made the mistake of taking a couple of tests earlier from sites I usually respect and several times I got INTJ and even ENFJ at one point. For the longest time however, I've identified as INFJ.

Part of my confusion is I'm trying to determine if I prefer Fe/Fi and Te/Ti. I'm pretty clear on Ni and Se.

So how do I clear this up?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
are you a guy or a girl.

it's pertinent. just answer the question.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please don't trust the tests--even the official one claims to be correct only 70% of the time. Going by cognitive functions is, in my opinion, the only way to get it right.

Can I ask how old you are?

The main difference between INFJs and INTJs is that INFJs (usually) make decisions/see the world through values and the human element more than they do looking at things more impersonally. INTJs are the opposite. One thing I have to add, though, is that being an INFJ doesn't mean you can't see things impersonally or have a strong tendency toward logic (after all, we do have NiTi); it's about what your primary focus is.

As for the different cognitive functions, try this website: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
World Domination = INTX
Healing the World = INFX

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Please don't trust the tests--even the official one claims to be correct only 70% of the time. Going by cognitive functions is, in my opinion, the only way to get it right.

Can I ask how old you are?

The main difference between INFJs and INTJs is that INFJs (usually) make decisions/see the world through values and the human element more than they do looking at things more impersonally. INTJs are the opposite. One thing I have to add, though, is that being an INFJ doesn't mean you can't see things impersonally or have a strong tendency toward logic; it's about what your primary focus is.
I'll be 25 in 10 days.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFJs play people chess. INTJs are utterly mystified by people.

Glad to clear that up for ya.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Really? Then what about the INTJ who scored Ti highest on a function test? What about the fact that this test I keep seeing posted here can't even apply the formula correctly, such that NeTi comes out as INTP?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
World Domination = INTX
Healing the World = INFX

Wow I'm glad [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] pointed this out...this is so untrue. I'm pretty sure INFJ Hitler wanted world domination, and INTP Albert Einstein was quite alright with healing it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think anybody who is not sure between these two types is an INFJ.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's up with the X's? Does INTX mean INTP/J? Since when are they about world domination?

They are about world domination because they tend to believe in justice being the advantage of the stronger, but I am just making this up.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They are about world domination because they tend to believe in justice being the advantage of the stronger, but I am just making this up.

If you prefer to lose all credibility, I guess that's up to you.

The INTJ/P gone bad has different motivations and goals. Consider Josef Mengele, Jack Kevorkian, and Dr. Frankenstein.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really? Then what about the INTJ who scored Ti highest on a function test? What about the fact that this test I keep seeing posted here can't even apply the formula correctly, such that NeTi comes out as INTP?

Like I said, don't trust the tests. Study what Fe, Ti, Te, Ne, etc means yourself and then use that to figure out your type.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTJ/P gone bad has different motivations and goals. Consider Josef Mengele, Jack Kevorkian, and Dr. Frankenstein.
Kevorkian was bad???

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kevorkian was bad???

According to most normal standards. In Africa it would have been ok, in certain circumstances, for him to ceremoniously eat the bodies.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Back to the OP,

[MENTION=14498]Cloud of Thunder[/MENTION], what could be happening if you're an INFJ is that your tertiary Ti is coming out at this stage of your life, and this is making you wonder if you're a Thinker. One of the popular theories of how the different cognitive functions become developed in people's lives is that at about the age you are now, that's when the tertiary is developed. This is just a possibility.

With the difference between Te and Ti, some broad differences between them is that Te tends to look outward more for figuring things out--Te-users have a tendency to quote or link to studies, scholarly articles, and things like that. They also tend to tell others their theories in hopes that others will tell them what they think--either agree or disagree so that the theories can be tested or refined for accuracy. Te is also more concerned with things that are useful in getting a goal accomplished, and generalizes more than Ti.

Ti is more about internal logical rules than looking externally. Its goal is not so much getting a goal accomplished but is more concerned with 100% accuracy. It doesn't like to generalize as much, and Ti-users use phrases like "I think...", "I believe...," "Maybe...," more often than Te-users in general.

Another difference that you can tell when you look at people's posts on this site is that Te-users tend to post in a way that's giving bullet points. The point they're making will be easier to spot. Ti-users instead tend to give paragraphs instead of bullet points, and the point they're making is less highlighted and is more buried inside of the paragraph as a whole.

Also, note that because I'm a tertiary Ti-user, I felt compelled to add that these were "broad differences," for accuracy--a Te-user would be less likely to say this but feel that it is understood that it is a generalization.

For Fe/Fi, this has been endlessly debated on this site for a long time about what the definitions of these are and how they work in people. I would recommend checking out some of the long threads that explore this topic and seeing which one you feel resonates with you the most. My favorite Fe/Fi thread is this one.