• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFJ or INTJ?

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
A few instances of being correct doesn't mean that tests in general are a reliable way to nail down what someone's type is.
Plus 3 friends. So that's a 6/6 success rate from my point of view.

Statistically speaking, tests work.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How did this thread end up like this?

Plus 3 friends. So that's a 6/6 success rate from my point of view.

Statistically speaking, tests work.

I do think that tests are good for pointing people in the right direction so you have a good place to start, but even the official MBTI test claims to be only about 70% accurate. Also, I could name the same amount of people I know who have taken tests and it was not accurate. Also, there are many people on this site who said they have taken tests and gotten different results at different times (see the OP for an example), and the differing results can't all be accurate. I don't agree that it's wise to take a test and then just go with whatever results it gives you without doing any further research into the cognitive functions.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Back to the OP,

[MENTION=14498]Cloud of Thunder[/MENTION], what could be happening if you're an INFJ is that your tertiary Ti is coming out at this stage of your life, and this is making you wonder if you're a Thinker. One of the popular theories of how the different cognitive functions become developed in people's lives is that at about the age you are now, that's when the tertiary is developed. This is just a possibility.

With the difference between Te and Ti, some broad differences between them is that Te tends to look outward more for figuring things out--Te-users have a tendency to quote or link to studies, scholarly articles, and things like that. They also tend to tell others their theories in hopes that others will tell them what they think--either agree or disagree so that the theories can be tested or refined for accuracy. Te is also more concerned with things that are useful in getting a goal accomplished, and generalizes more than Ti.

Ti is more about internal logical rules than looking externally. Its goal is not so much getting a goal accomplished but is more concerned with 100% accuracy. It doesn't like to generalize as much, and Ti-users use phrases like "I think...", "I believe...," "Maybe...," more often than Te-users in general.

Another difference that you can tell when you look at people's posts on this site is that Te-users tend to post in a way that's giving bullet points. The point they're making will be easier to spot. Ti-users instead tend to give paragraphs instead of bullet points, and the point they're making is less highlighted and is more buried inside of the paragraph as a whole.

Also, note that because I'm a tertiary Ti-user, I felt compelled to add that these were "broad differences," for accuracy--a Te-user would be less likely to say this but feel that it is understood that it is a generalization.

For Fe/Fi, this has been endlessly debated on this site for a long time about what the definitions of these are and how they work in people. I would recommend checking out some of the long threads that explore this topic and seeing which one you feel resonates with you the most. My favorite Fe/Fi thread is this one.
Yeah, upon reflection, I think I was in the grip of Ti when I made this thread. I'm pretty much sure now that I'm an INFJ. Thank you!

redacted

INFJs on their own tend to think about things pretty impersonally, but stick them in a group and they'll be very aware of the social environment and phrase things/navigate accordingly. INTJs are more in touch with their own convictions, and in groups they're much less likely to compromise.

Navigating the environment should be pretty tell-tale -- do you focus on the social environment of opinions and values or the impersonal environment of situations and strategies?

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
i know a mature (~65 years old), quite well balanced INFJ, so i'm pretty sure i know what i talk about.

the most discerning thing is, in my opinion, is whether you are Fe or Fi. a good way to discern is to be mindful of the topics of your conversations, as a guideline Fi people (regardless if its primary or tertiary function) prefer to move any discussion to things that they have done, experienced, felt and it's not that hard to see why, Fi is internally driven, centered around your emotions

Fe is outward driven, centered around others. in practical terms if you would be an INFJ you would most likely be content to keep the topic of the conversation centered around the other and not say much about yourself, except if that would be a personal example to coroborate with what the other is saying
for example i have known the INFJ i mentioned above for 2.5 years, and he told us what does for a living after about 10 months took him 2 years to tell us he has a brother, but he hasn't said a thing as to whether he has a wife or kids, i have never asked him these things because i feel the age difference (45 years) is constraining, so basically we only know what he wants us to know.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJs on their own tend to think about things pretty impersonally, but stick them in a group and they'll be very aware of the social environment and phrase things/navigate accordingly. INTJs are more in touch with their own convictions, and in groups they're much less likely to compromise.

Navigating the environment should be pretty tell-tale -- do you focus on the social environment of opinions and values or the impersonal environment of situations and strategies?
I think the social environment grabs my attention more often, whether I engage with or not. I usually don't.

To answer [MENTION=4010]Penguin[/MENTION]'s post, I would prefer not to talk about myself much at all. I never like it when people ask me "How are you?".

Amberamaris

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
On most of regular test I get intj rarely infj (infj I get on only tests which use more understandable at least for me English is not my native quotes and popular language)...
But when I read INFJ posts I recognize my behavior more often then reading INTJ who seam cold and reserved but I am still searching maybe I am cold/rational to others but I dont see it objectively.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Fe is outward driven, centered around others. in practical terms if you would be an INFJ you would most likely be content to keep the topic of the conversation centered around the other and not say much about yourself, except if that would be a personal example to corroborate with what the other is saying for example i have known the INFJ i mentioned above for 2.5 years, and he told us what does for a living after about 10 months took him 2 years to tell us he has a brother, but he hasn't said a thing as to whether he has a wife or kids, i have never asked him these things because i feel the age difference (45 years) is constraining, so basically we only know what he wants us to know.
Yeah, I do this with many of my colleagues. I just let them talk about whatever and anything that strikes a chord with me, I'll add some personal detail to establish common ground and to prove that I'm still listening. It works wonders and it makes them think I'm more engaged than I actually am.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, I do this with many of my colleagues. I just let them talk about whatever and anything that strikes a chord with me, I'll add some personal detail to establish common ground and to prove that I'm still listening. It works wonders and it makes them think I'm more engaged than I actually am.

Man, you so INFJ.