User Tag List

12 Last

Default Type Help, Please

Greetings.

I am new to this forum, but have been interested in and studying MBTI and Jungian functions since I was a teen. I believe I have strongly developed Fe and am either ISFJ or INFJ. I am certain that I am an introvert. I need LARGE quantities of time alone, in my own space, doing my own thing. But everything I've learned at this point feels like it's just swimming around in my head. I can see good arguments for either side. If you're interested in helping me type myself, please keep reading, and thanks in advance either way.

I have strong feelings and can be romantic, but not in a traditional or stereotypical way. I also don't have premonitions about the future. What I AM good at is inferring things based on limited information, or reading between the lines. I get a lot of "How did you know that?" from friends. I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead. I live very much in my head and my moods can be based on nothing at all in the real world. When I was younger, I used to hear "You're so weird," a lot. I still hear it, but mostly in a good way. I used to be very shy, but am now pretty friendly and chatty, and most people accept me for who I am, and just roll their eyes at my weirdness.

Here's where it gets confusing. I sometimes wonder if I am an Si user. I had a difficult childhood and spend a lot of time thinking about it and how it has made me who I am. And I often find myself having the feeling of actually re-experiencing anger or embarrassment from a long time ago. I can have a very good memory of what someone said or did a long time ago, though I am sometimes unclear on the order in which things happened. As a child, I trusted adults and believed, for the most part, in doing as I was told. I did not like to break rules or get in trouble-- but I often insisted on knowing the rationale behind rules.

When it comes to learning, I definitely need to see an endpoint before I can make sense of individual steps. That is, I need to know where I'm aiming to end up before I can develop a process for getting there. However, I can be rather slow past a certain initial understanding of new information. I understand new things, up to a point, quickly enough to become incredibly frustrated and discouraged when I stop understanding and actually have to do the grunt work.

I'm happy to provide other information, though it seems I've already written quite a lot! Thanks if you've gotten this far.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Greetings.

I am new to this forum, but have been interested in and studying MBTI and Jungian functions since I was a teen. I believe I have strongly developed Fe and am either ISFJ or INFJ. I am certain that I am an introvert. I need LARGE quantities of time alone, in my own space, doing my own thing. But everything I've learned at this point feels like it's just swimming around in my head. I can see good arguments for either side. If you're interested in helping me type myself, please keep reading, and thanks in advance either way.

I have strong feelings and can be romantic, but not in a traditional or stereotypical way. I also don't have premonitions about the future. What I AM good at is inferring things based on limited information, or reading between the lines. I get a lot of "How did you know that?" from friends. I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead. I live very much in my head and my moods can be based on nothing at all in the real world. When I was younger, I used to hear "You're so weird," a lot. I still hear it, but mostly in a good way. I used to be very shy, but am now pretty friendly and chatty, and most people accept me for who I am, and just roll their eyes at my weirdness.

Here's where it gets confusing. I sometimes wonder if I am an Si user. I had a difficult childhood and spend a lot of time thinking about it and how it has made me who I am. And I often find myself having the feeling of actually re-experiencing anger or embarrassment from a long time ago. I can have a very good memory of what someone said or did a long time ago, though I am sometimes unclear on the order in which things happened. As a child, I trusted adults and believed, for the most part, in doing as I was told. I did not like to break rules or get in trouble-- but I often insisted on knowing the rationale behind rules.

When it comes to learning, I definitely need to see an endpoint before I can make sense of individual steps. That is, I need to know where I'm aiming to end up before I can develop a process for getting there. However, I can be rather slow past a certain initial understanding of new information. I understand new things, up to a point, quickly enough to become incredibly frustrated and discouraged when I stop understanding and actually have to do the grunt work.

I'm happy to provide other information, though it seems I've already written quite a lot! Thanks if you've gotten this far.
    I am willing to go with ISFJ for you actually (despite all the intuitive type process you got). You don't seem very Ni in my opinion but more Ne which is the fourth function of ISFJ. I see the rest and perhaps the rationale behind the rule could have been your Ti (the third function for ISFJ).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    I am willing to go with ISFJ for you actually (despite all the intuitive type process you got). You don't seem very Ni in my opinion but more Ne which is the fourth function of ISFJ. I see the rest and perhaps the rationale behind the rule could have been your Ti (the third function for ISFJ).
    Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how you see the inferior Ne? I admit that since it is the ISFJ inferior function, I haven't paid as much attention to it as I have to Ni/Si. Does it seem to you that I am in fact Si dominant?

I'm also open to the possibility that I may not be either of these two types, so hey. Thank you for your thoughts.

MBTI
    INTj

Help
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how you see the inferior Ne? I admit that since it is the ISFJ inferior function, I haven't paid as much attention to it as I have to Ni/Si. Does it seem to you that I am in fact Si dominant?

I'm also open to the possibility that I may not be either of these two types, so hey. Thank you for your thoughts.
    Mainly this part:

"I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead."

That really seems Ne to me and the Si a bit as well. I get the "living in your heard" type alone time being Ni but I don't think that is all there is to Ni which is pretty much all you expressed that would seem "Ni" at all in my opinion. I think it just comes down to you simply being very introverted more then being an Ni with that. I don't know any ISFJ/INFJs in person so I really can't say but I am going on what I think would be possible since I don't like absolutes where some people jump at the whole "I am an N over S because I am in my own head" type deal (not that you came off that way but just saying its not all there is to it). What other types are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    Mainly this part:

"I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead."

That really seems Ne to me and the Si a bit as well. I get the "living in your heard" type alone time being Ni but I don't think that is all there is to Ni which is pretty much all you expressed that would seem "Ni" at all in my opinion. I think it just comes down to you simply being very introverted more then being an Ni with that. I don't know any ISFJ/INFJs in person so I really can't say but I am going on what I think would be possible since I don't like absolutes where some people jump at the whole "I am an N over S because I am in my own head" type deal (not that you came off that way but just saying its not all there is to it). What other types are you considering?
    *Nods* Right, right, I hear that. I don't think "living in my head" and being introverted alone qualify me as an Ni user, since Si dominants also spend a lot of time with their own thoughts. I realize I was unclear in my organization above-- the fact that I am introverted and live in my own head is a trait I feel can go either S or N.

The statement you chose as an Ne indicator seems like the Ne of a person with Ne in first or second position. Isn't the inferior function usually manifest in a weakened or maladaptive manner? I see my ability to see past surface behavior as a positive trait.

I don't really have any other types in mind. I'm just open to the possibility that I may be totally off. I sometimes identify with INFP, but I truly feel I am Fe and not Fi. I will think about what you've said.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

*Nods* Right, right, I hear that. I don't think "living in my head" and being introverted alone qualify me as an Ni user, since Si dominants also spend a lot of time with their own thoughts. I realize I was unclear in my organization above-- the fact that I am introverted and live in my own head is a trait I feel can go either S or N.

The statement you chose as an Ne indicator seems like the Ne of a person with Ne in first or second position. Isn't the inferior function usually manifest in a weakened or maladaptive manner? I see my ability to see past surface behavior as a positive trait.

I don't really have any other types in mind. I'm just open to the possibility that I may be totally off. I sometimes identify with INFP, but I truly feel I am Fe and not Fi. I will think about what you've said.
    Well see that is the thing in my opinion. That was the only "intuitive" thing if you will that you said in my opinion. That is partly due to your Si as well but I think there is some trace of Ne as well. It could be inferior since its still there but just not that much (in your description at least). I do see you a bit as an Fi but I don't know much about how you "feel" about people but I am convinced that you're the type who is more Fe/Fi then Te/Ti for sure.

Senior Member Presumptuous Pepper's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Help
    Who are you...what are you....and who killed the cat?
    Thrills happen for awesome reasons, shit happens for shitty reason. So don't pay attention on stuff which happen for shitty reasons, but on ones which happen for awesome reasons. I'm an awesome reason.

Senior Member Presumptuous Pepper's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    3 sx

Greetings.

1. Has someone heard or seen you work through a situation or do they see you stare off into space as you think it out in your head?
    2. Do you give attention to what is going on around you or are you always comparing things now to what happened in the past?
    3. Do other people tell you it's easy to know how you're feeling or is it hard for them to tell (It will be hard for people around you to tell but you will know exactly how you're feeling).
    4. Has anyone ever heard or seen you make connections between different subjects or do she say something and they wonder how you got from point A to point B?

can you do this and then i can maybe tell you better...from this point you seem like ISFX
    Thrills happen for awesome reasons, shit happens for shitty reason. So don't pay attention on stuff which happen for shitty reasons, but on ones which happen for awesome reasons. I'm an awesome reason.

Hi! Thanks for the offer of help.

1. Has someone heard or seen you work through a situation or do they see you stare off into space as you think it out in your head?
    I usually stare off quietly, but when finally I do speak, I give a point-by-point run down of how I came to my conclusion. I don't like people to attack my conclusion because they don't understand my premise, so I give them the whole thing. But I need time to get there.

2. Do you give attention to what is going on around you or are you always comparing things now to what happened in the past?
    Neither? I'm not often paying attention to what's going on around me, but I don't compare past and present, either.

3. Do other people tell you it's easy to know how you're feeling or is it hard for them to tell (It will be hard for people around you to tell but you will know exactly how you're feeling).
    I've always gotten "Are you all right?" when all I'm doing is thinking. But if I'm talking about something, interacting with someone, then I think it's easy to know how I feel about whatever it is. I wasn't always this way. People used to tell me "You always look calm," no matter what mood I was in. I've become a lot more expressive since my late 20s, probably because I'm a lot more socially confident than I used to be.

4. Has anyone ever heard or seen you make connections between different subjects or do she say something and they wonder how you got from point A to point B? I realize this is incredibly unhelpful, but... both. And it depends on the person. I'm lucky enough to have people in my life who understand my "shorthand," so to speak. But I have to screen people before I speak freely, or I'll just get the old smile-and-nod.