User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrian View Post
    I really am not sure where my boyfriend fits. He took a free test (the one on HumanMetrics) and ended up with ENTJ, but I'm a bit skeptical if he's really an intuitive type.

It's really hard to tell with him. In many ways, he understands what I'm trying to say, but he will completely misunderstand me in other ways. There is a slight difference when I compare our conversations to those with my INTJ friend, who more easily picks up on the meaning of what I'm trying to put into words. My boyfriend requires more explanation from me when I'm trying to express an abstract thought, as he will often take it the wrong way.

It's also hard to pinpoint just how introspective he is. He is not (entirely) self-oblivious and he can answer questions about himself fairly well. He will immediately talk about his feelings with me if something's up. He is aware of his own actions and takes pride in them, though he rarely considers how those actions may affect those around him. He has never been one to care what others think of him. If he finds something about himself that he doesn't like, he will tirelessly work to change it.

He does not see much inherent value in tradition. It deeply annoys him when people stick to methods that are outdated and/or inefficient, and moreso when they are closed-minded about learning new things. For example, he hates it when old people say stuff like "When I was your age, we didn't have this and that" and frown on progressive technology. He has expressed that he never wants to stop learning, even when he gets old and comfortable. But although he isn't big on the concept of tradition, he DOES have a strong set of moral values. He holds this standard to both himself and others.

He's definitely an assertive and take-charge kind of guy. He does not tolerate BS. He's honest, a fast learner, and highly well-spoken. He's also extremely quick on his feet and a VERY good arguer. He's a huge jokester as well, and can be loud and boisterous.

I heard that ESTJs value efficiency, whereas ENTJs value mastery. I asked my boyfriend if he's more likely to do things in the most efficient way, or work extra to do them the "right" way; he said that he'd do it the efficient way if he could, but will not neglect the need to do something perfectly if the situation demands it. He seems to value both depending on the situation.

As for other information, his main interests include gaming (he's a game development major, it's his passion), anime, some sciences, stand-up comedy, computers and technology.

Sorry for the long post. Any insight about these two types is greatly appreciated.
    I think that this pretty much cancels out the possibility of ESTJ for him. This seems ENTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    ENTJ. I think its worth saying that seeing the differences between S and N are hard, even in person. Here is what I think though. Both ESTJ and ENTJ have Te as a dominant function. That is extroverted thinking where the person takes information from the environment, organizes and tries to apply it in situations. This is where your boyfriend kinda gives off the "sensor" type feeling with the "efficient way" over the "mastery way." Both ESTJ and ENTJ have that but for ESTJ they have Si secondary where they use their past experience and try to apply that to the future where your boyfriend whom is most likely an ENTJ has Ni secondary where they tend to not rely on experience as much and be more innovative and inventive with their views/morals. The fact that he doesn't like the "in my day..." type reasoning is proof to me that he is an Ni user over Si.

On a side note; don't try to compare him to an INTJ. They are Ni dominant and its very hard as I said to see difference in S and N in person. The Ni shows more in the INTJ than your ENTJ boyfriend. With that being said; just because your ENTJ boyfriend isn't as "intuitive" as your INTJ friend doesn't make him a sensor. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that perspective, it really helps. The thing is, though, my boyfriend is not especially innovative. He comes up with new ideas on occassion, but I wouldn't describe him as VERY creative or visionary. And he DOES take past experiences into account. When he does something wrong, he learns from his mistake and doesn't make the same blunder twice. There are things that he will never do again because of a bad past experience. On the other hand, however, he doesn't glean his morality solely from experience. He still has views that he formed on his own, based on evidence around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The awesome factor could be an indication of ENTJ, does he dress in suits or is he a snappy dresser?
    He doesn't care about fashion, he'll wear whatever fits. However, he likes keeping his hair long because he doesn't want to look like everyone else, and he feels that long hair just suits him and his personality better.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not sold on either. He could be a balance of the two. He sounds more ESTJ to me than ENTJ. I think in making mistakes, an ENTJ is likely to apply what they learned so that next time they are better at whatever it is- not simply to avold making the same mistake. I think you are looking at his spoken words and actions, which can be misleading. What's usually his focus- on something very pointed, or on some larger theme or principle?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrian View Post
    Thanks for that perspective, it really helps. The thing is, though, my boyfriend is not especially innovative. He comes up with new ideas on occassion, but I wouldn't describe him as VERY creative or visionary. And he DOES take past experiences into account. When he does something wrong, he learns from his mistake and doesn't make the same blunder twice. There are things that he will never do again because of a bad past experience. On the other hand, however, he doesn't glean his morality solely from experience. He still has views that he formed on his own, based on evidence around him.
    Well most people do, that is called learning. Here is what I am trying to bring up to your attention. In terms of how he handles things like work or schooling (if he is a student of some sort); does he tend to take a more experienced based approach like for schooling, does he tend to keep the same studying method he had since he was a kid (if you know him that long or speculate it at least) or does he tend to try and come up with his own "unique" approach to studying or just anything to do with problem solving? (Not limited to schooling but just using it as an example).

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I think that this pretty much cancels out the possibility of ESTJ for him.
    Actually, it doesn't.

Like I said in my earlier post, being an ESTJ doesn't mean valuing tradition over efficiency.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Actually, it doesn't.

Like I said in my earlier post, being an ESTJ doesn't mean valuing tradition over efficiency.
    I mean, they could always be an ESTJ with a strong Ne, but it damn sure shows that they aren't the typical "ESTJ".

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I mean, they could always be an ESTJ with a strong Ne, but it damn sure shows that they aren't the typical "ESTJ".
    I hate it when people call ESTJs who aren't closed-minded and inflexible in the face of new information "atypical" -- because the typical ESTJ cares the most about efficiency, and if the ESTJ knows that a new method of doing things is more efficient, then it doesn't matter if it's new or not.

But the one thing I agree with in your post is that I could also see strong N being a factor with this ExTJ. Unsure as to whether it's Ne or Ni, though.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I hate it when people call ESTJs who aren't closed-minded and inflexible in the face of new information "atypical" -- because the typical ESTJ cares the most about efficiency, and if the ESTJ knows that a new method of doing things is more efficient, then it doesn't matter if it's new or not.

But the one thing I agree with in your post is that I could also see strong N being a factor with this ExTJ. Unsure as to whether it's Ne or Ni, though.
    Sorry lady, but what I described was Si. But, ESTJ's can come out of their, "closed minded" and "traditional" ways if they develop Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I'm not sold on either. He could be a balance of the two. He sounds more ESTJ to me than ENTJ. I think in making mistakes, an ENTJ is likely to apply what they learned so that next time they are better at whatever it is- not simply to avold making the same mistake. I think you are looking at his spoken words and actions, which can be misleading. What's usually his focus- on something very pointed, or on some larger theme or principle?
    Oh, he definitely applies whatever he learns to future situations. I'll give a few examples.

In terms of learning from BAD experiences... He once got revenge on someone he was VERY angry at. After that experience, which I won't describe in detail, he learned that such revenge is a terrible thing to do. He has since had opportunities to enact revenge on others, but he didn't do it because of what he previously learned the hard way.

Another thing about him is that he's very against drinking and refuses to ever consume alcohol. His father was an alcoholic, which contributed to his parents' divorce.

If he does something like mess up on a homework assignment, he will learn from that mistake snd apply his new knowledge to future assignments. The same goes for whatever hobbies he's doing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

ENTJ: Te-Ni-Se-Fi
    ESTJ: Te-Si-Ne-Fi

In terms of it being between EXTJ; its whether they use Ni over Si. Howerver an "intuitive ESTJ" is not the same as an "ENTJ." ESTJ use Ne and ENTJ use Ni. I hope that helps clarify that.