• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my INTP status in jeopardy?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi is highly personal ha obviousness anyway but! Being a fi user does not necessarily mean that you're all goey and emotional.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To know who is the ESFP in the group is another question. But as a group thus far, I haven't known any who I would want as a surgeon in general. I have known one who I would want as my chef. But she can't drive a car, so I obviously wouldn't want her as my chauffeur. And there's probably a good reason why someone, an ESFP who is in her 40s, still refuses to learn how to drive, although she is intelligent enough. It doesn't take much intelligence to get a license and drive a car, as millions of people have demonstrated. But it does take a certain amount of ambition and courage the first time out. Imagine if you're an aspiring surgeon, facing your very first patient on the operating table whose life or at least future comfort is in your hands. Driving a car is nothing compared to that.
So we're back to individual differences, as we should be. I certainly don't want an ESFP surgeon who is distracted or clumsy, nor an ESFP chauffeur who can't drive. That has nothing to do with their being ESFP, however, and everything to do with their lacking the necessary skills or abilities. I don't want a person of any type who isn't competent at the job. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that aspiring surgeon facing his/her first patient, either, regardless of type, but I suppose someone has to be the first.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So we're back to individual differences, as we should be. I certainly don't want an ESFP surgeon who is distracted or clumsy, nor an ESFP chauffeur who can't drive. That has nothing to do with their being ESFP, however, and everything to do with their lacking the necessary skills or abilities. I don't want a person of any type who isn't competent at the job. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that aspiring surgeon facing his/her first patient, either, regardless of type, but I suppose someone has to be the first.

Maybe they start out with a great deal of guidance. But if by some chance I found out that my surgeon was an ESFP, I would be like:

Oh... oh? OH!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
On the Keirsey test I'm ESFP (on teh computer, I also relate mostly to his Artisan description) but I test INFP on most tests, because most tests are based on MBTI. On the official MBTI (which I paid like 60 bucks for) my first answer was INFP. On "functions tests" I've gotten INFJ, ISFP, even ENTP :huh:. I had one test suggest I'd be ISFJ even though my highest function was Fi.

I decided the best description I had ever read was the PTypes Exuberant ISFP (loosely based on Keirsey, but also with other theories combined) and I test Hedonist (SP) temperament on their web site. I also relate to something between ESFP and ISFP on the Best Fit Type web site.

I never would have typed myself as anything but an NF in the beginning because I was ignorant about functions, and what being a sensor meant.

Take all of this into account when trying to find your type. Those "functions tests" are only accurate when you actually understand what they're asking. For example, as a younger person, I over-estimated my Ni usage as dom rather than tertiary (which is why I got INFJ). It's really best to study Jungian functions and other personality theories before deciding on a type.

It should be a process, IMO. Also, you'll find that people who don't know you well may only see certain facets of your personality and not see you like in an every-day light and talk to you in depth, so they may see your "persona" versus your actual default type where you feel most comfortable. Also remember that many people have NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I only feel comfortable at this point in my learning with surely typing people I know very well. I also trust someone who knows me well AND understands personality theory over anyone who only knows one or the other.

One of the primary things I kept in mind is that I'm ambiverted. Ambiverted in some theories tends to indicate either ENFP or ISFP for an Fi type, because INFPs are apparently quite introverted and ESFPs are more noticeably extroverted.

If you feel ambiverted I'd lean more toward ENTP than INFP for a "secondary" type for you. I also think your Fi and Fe are too low for you to be a feeling type. Even when type tests are not fully accurate, like those functions tests, I still think having low Fi AND low Fe means you're most probably a T type. Especially since INFP is Introverted Feeling Dominant.

G

Glycerine

I tried to answer the official test as accurately as possible and I got INTJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I wanted a hand-job, yes, just not surgery.

Oh yes, I remember why you're not a good authority on type. This is just an absurd thing to say, it's insulting and typist. I mean it's fine to say you don't want an ESFP surgeon because they might be imprecise, but it's not okay to say they're best suited for jobs as hookers.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let's see:
* Start drinking casually
* Get a job in PR
* Join a gym
* Join another gym
* Find a partner who likes to go to the gym
* Gym gym gym gym gym
* Date someone named Jim
* Slap into a SlimJim

Yeah.

Best post in thread.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yes, I remember why you're not a good authority on type. This is just an absurd thing to say, it's insulting and typist. I mean it's fine to say you don't want an ESFP surgeon because they might be imprecise, but it's not okay to say they're best suited for jobs as hookers.

What??? Since she's an ESFP I figured she would be giving (handing) them out for free.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What??? Since she's an ESFP I figured she would be giving (handing) them out for free.

Yes, I suppose all young, dateless INTPs wish ESFPs would give them free hand jobs. I know what this is really about. Yep, yep, yeppers. Mmhmm. Yep yep yep.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Fi is highly personal ha obviousness anyway but! Being a fi user does not necessarily mean that you're all goey and emotional.

GooFi? :laugh: I know. I have an INFP friend, and when you meet him you'd think he was very cold and stand-offish. It's only when you get to know him very very well that you get all the INTENSE emotional stuff.

Take all of this into account when trying to find your type. Those "functions tests" are only accurate when you actually understand what they're asking. For example, as a younger person, I over-estimated my Ni usage as dom rather than tertiary (which is why I got INFJ). It's really best to study Jungian functions and other personality theories before deciding on a type.

It should be a process, IMO. Also, you'll find that people who don't know you well may only see certain facets of your personality and not see you like in an every-day light and talk to you in depth, so they may see your "persona" versus your actual default type where you feel most comfortable. Also remember that many people have NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Some of the questions are a little odd alright, but I think I answered it as well as I can. I should read up more on functions though - I only really have a basic working knowledge so far.

Indeed, which is why I find it very amusing that some people here insist I'm an INFP. I know I'm not :laugh:

One of the primary things I kept in mind is that I'm ambiverted. Ambiverted in some theories tends to indicate either ENFP or ISFP for an Fi type, because INFPs are apparently quite introverted and ESFPs are more noticeably extroverted.

If you feel ambiverted I'd lean more toward ENTP than INFP for a "secondary" type for you. I also think your Fi and Fe are too low for you to be a feeling type. Even when type tests are not fully accurate, like those functions tests, I still think having low Fi AND low Fe means you're most probably a T type. Especially since INFP is Introverted Feeling Dominant.

I've actually thought I may be ambiverted before, which is why I said I also associate with the ENTP type (though to a lesser degree than the INTP). We should combine MBTI and Enneagram - I'm INTPwENTP :tongue:

I tried to answer the official test as accurately as possible and I got INTJ.

Oh :unsure:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I suppose all young, dateless INTPs wish ESFPs would give them free hand jobs. I know what this is really about. Yep, yep, yeppers. Mmhmm. Yep yep yep.

INTPs don't have to take her out on a date, they just move straight to the main event.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs don't have to take her out on a date, they just move straight to the main event.

Yeah, right :yim_rolling_on_the_

INTPs, worldfamous ladies' men

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not world famous. Maybe the world's best kept secret, but definitely not famous.

Oh, I've got one at home and appreciate the quality of the product. But those I know IRL are all slow burners.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I've got one at home and appreciate the quality of the product. But those I know IRL are all slow burners.

How do you know they are slow burners? I'm not sure what that means.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you know they are slow burners? I'm not sure what that means.

"Slow burner" means that the male INTPs I know IRL are/were all shy around girls, a bit clumsy maybe in their interaction with the other sex and hesitant in showing their interest, taking their time to make a move, especially in their younger years. Also champions at overanalyzing a situation rather than acting, but that should go without saying.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Slow burner" means that the male INTPs I know IRL are/were all shy around girls, a bit clumsy maybe in their interaction with the other sex and hesitant in showing their interest, taking their time to make a move, especially in their younger years. Also champions at overanalyzing a situation rather than acting, but that should go without saying.

Agree, agree, agree. They lack self-confidence (anxiety triad) and they really shouldn't. But it's the end-result that matters in the long run.

Isn't that what typology is used for? Over-analyzing, as you said. It's easier to analyze the human psyche than to deal with the reality of it, like reading books about the art of love-making while not taking a chance on being rejected. So you have a person who is an expert on the psyche but knows nothing about people. It serves to give people a false sense of confidence.

That's how you get a split between the intellectual and emotional. I know intellectually that each ESFP is a little different, and I'm sure some of them make fine surgeons. But my emotional, reactive side may not see things that way. So I can spout off in the forums all day about this higher Jungian perspective, but when confronted with reality the nervous reaction sets in. Yes they are all different - just don't let one near me with a scalpel.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
@op

When you think you have an intps abilities but score F on tests then the solution is most often entp. I've read your first posts before this thread became intp wonderland and I'ld concur with entp for you. Of course you could be a F-type as well but intp I'ld rule out for you. You sound too simpatico for that

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@op

When you think you have an intps abilities but score F on tests then the solution is most often entp. I've read your first posts before this thread became intp wonderland and I'ld concur with entp for you. Of course you could be a F-type as well but intp I'ld rule out for you. You sound too simpatico for that

I could say the exact same thing about the INTJ type.