• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my INTP status in jeopardy?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i would also like to say that i am pretty certain enfps feel more thinkerly than infps..

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm reading everything you write, I just don't find much of it relevant tbh. What exactly would you like me to clarify about Ne and whimsy?

I wanted to know what you mean by "whimsy" - "unless you're talking about free-association or a kind of randomness of speech and behavior."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C is for Cookie - that's good enough for me :yes:

You're bringing down the whole INTP notion with every post you generate. So to answer the thread question: YES.

By the way, "My running (and life) blog!" link doesn't work.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
i would also like to say that i am pretty certain enfps feel more thinkerly than infps..

I'm not ENFP :laugh:. ENFPs are awesome, and so am I, but that doesn't make me one :nono: :tongue:

I wanted to know what you mean by "whimsy" - "unless you're talking about free-association or a kind of randomness of speech and behavior."

To me, Bill Bailey is the personification of whimsy. Making ties between ideas that aren't connected, that sort of thing.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
You're bringing down the whole INTP notion with every post you generate. So to answer the thread question: YES.

By the way, "My running (and life) blog!" link doesn't work.

Yeah, wasn't arsed updating my signature. I'll do it now.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then you have an ESFP who is able to compartmentalize tasks, to put aside innate flightiness and distractedness, whereas there is always an ESFP somewhere without that ability. Or to go to an extreme, my step-daughter, an ESFP whose hands shake terribly. [Edit - that means, the extreme of a non-ideal surgeon whose hands shake during surgery.
This is how an ESFP would become a good surgeon. As you point out, all ESFPs are not the same in this regard, just as there is considerable variation within every type.

If I wanted a hand-job, yes, just not surgery. But since you're talking about an "ideal" surgeon, I wouldn't want to be operated on by someone who is less than the ideal surgeon. Would you? Of course certain types are ideal for certain careers, in general. The MBTI was created based upon that very scenario. So when someone comes along and says that any type can belong to any career, that defeats the purpose of someone using the MBTI to make the ideal career choice. Because it's not the point to say that an ENFJ can be a program developer. We all know that reality doesn't always conform with theory. But reality isn't the ideal, where the ideal exists only in the mind.
What is an "ideal surgeon"? How many perfectly adequate surgeons would you reject before finding an ideal? The ideal might change depending upon the surgery. Here, the best is the enemy of the good. I would look for (and have done so) a surgeon with a good track record of success in the surgery I was to have. Is this your ideal? If so, then we agree.

MBTI was NOT created to box people into career choices based upon type, or to identify ideal careers for any type. It was based on the premise that certain types tended to be happier and more successful doing certain jobs, not that this was a necessary absolute. It is a guideline to help people understand themselves, not a perfect list of correspondences.

The key is for each person to understand his/her strengths and weaknesses, preferences and pet peeves, so they can be better informed as they evaluate job/career options. This certainly can help someone identify a job matching their type. If someone is interested in a job atypical for their type, though, it can highlight what the major sources of dissatisfaction might be, not to dissuade them from the job, but to show them how to approach it in a way more suited to their interests and talents. It is often the typological "odd man out" who is able to break group-think in an organization, and bring added dimensions of creativity and perspective.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not ENFP :laugh:. ENFPs are awesome, and so am I, but that doesn't make me one :nono: :tongue:

To me, Bill Bailey is the personification of whimsy. Making ties between ideas that aren't connected, that sort of thing.

And he's putting on an act, correct? As an INTP I could learn the same trick and then take it on the road to become rich and famous, and sometimes confused by personality junkies with an Ne-dom.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Not necessarily putting on an act - I've met him before and he really is that way in real life too. It's a good case for me being INTP though - we're able to chameleon. Perhaps there are too many ENFPs on this thread so I'm starting to act like one :laugh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weeelll you don't read like an intp from this thread at least..imo

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Indeed... I'll dig out the camera this evening or tomorrow morning and do the video challenge so. Text is always much harder to gauge personality from :yes:. It's the reason I like emoticons. They help to give a context to the words (ie whether you're joking or being super cereal). :troll:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is how an ESFP would become a good surgeon. As you point out, all ESFPs are not the same in this regard, just as there is considerable variation within every type.

What is an "ideal surgeon"? How many perfectly adequate surgeons would you reject before finding an ideal? The ideal might change depending upon the surgery. Here, the best is the enemy of the good. I would look for (and have done so) a surgeon with a good track record of success in the surgery I was to have. Is this your ideal? If so, then we agree.

MBTI was NOT created to box people into career choices based upon type, or to identify ideal careers for any type. It was based on the premise that certain types tended to be happier and more successful doing certain jobs, not that this was a necessary absolute. It is a guideline to help people understand themselves, not a perfect list of correspondences.

I didn't say it was any of that. I said it was formed to help people make career choices. So you're still tracking a notion I dismissed and didn't hold to begin with.

The key is for each person to understand his/her strengths and weaknesses, preferences and pet peeves, so they can be better informed as they evaluate job/career options. This certainly can help someone identify a job matching their type. If someone is interested in a job atypical for their type, though, it can highlight what the major sources of dissatisfaction might be, not to dissuade them from the job, but to show them how to approach it in a way more suited to their interests and talents. It is often the typological "odd man out" who is able to break group-think in an organization, and bring added dimensions of creativity and perspective.

The MBTI is making career suggestions, obviously, not dictating career choices.

Asking about what is ideal in a person or a job is like asking what is "normal." We can say all kinds of things about what is abnormal. But what is normal or ideal is interpreted relatively to other people or jobs. So given a choice of surgeons, I will look for the one with the best track record, the most experience, relative to the group. To know who is the ESFP in the group is another question. But as a group thus far, I haven't known any who I would want as a surgeon in general. I have known one who I would want as my chef. But she can't drive a car, so I obviously wouldn't want her as my chauffeur. And there's probably a good reason why someone, an ESFP who is in her 40s, still refuses to learn how to drive, although she is intelligent enough. It doesn't take much intelligence to get a license and drive a car, as millions of people have demonstrated. But it does take a certain amount of ambition and courage the first time out. Imagine if you're an aspiring surgeon, facing your very first patient on the operating table whose life or at least future comfort is in your hands. Driving a car is nothing compared to that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weeelll you don't read like an intp from this thread at least..imo

There is at least a hint of INTP (a certain criticality and independence) but that shows through with many types. INTPs can be quietly gregarious, but Oeufa doesn't give off that kind of vibe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not necessarily putting on an act - I've met him before and he really is that way in real life too. It's a good case for me being INTP though - we're able to chameleon. Perhaps there are too many ENFPs on this thread so I'm starting to act like one :laugh:

I didn't mean anything like "chameleon," just that I could learn the same trick. That would take more time to learn than a true chameleon personality would require.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're acting nervous and frustrated here, while hiding it behind a flustered flurry of emoticons.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
There is at least a hint of INTP (a certain criticality and independence) but that shows through with many types. INTPs can be quietly gregarious, but Oeufa doesn't give off that kind of vibe.

That's a bit of a leap, considering you don't know how I interact with others in real life.

I didn't mean anything like "chameleon," just that I could learn the same trick. That would take more time to learn than a true chameleon personality would require.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're acting nervous and frustrated here, while hiding it behind a flustered flurry of emoticons.

Well sure. I had to adopt a different persona for debating, but I consider that a type of chameleon-ing :laugh:

Why would I be nervous? :wtf:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a bit of a leap, considering you don't know how I interact with others in real life.

Well sure. I had to adopt a different persona for debating, but I consider that a type of chameleon-ing :laugh:

Why would I be nervous? :wtf:

Using one's sig to pass on messages to others is passive-aggressive.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] you are not going to argue her into believing she is NFP. You made your point and now it is only arguing for the sake of arguing.

[MENTION=9046]Oeufa[/MENTION] they do have a point in that you come across as Fi in this thread. But that doesn't necessarily mean much. A video would be a great idea.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] you are not going to argue her into believing she is NFP. You made your point and now it is only arguing for the sake of arguing.

[MENTION=9046]Oeufa[/MENTION] they do have a point in that you come across as Fi in this thread. But that doesn't necessarily mean much. A video would be a great idea.

Ok, but I didn't say Fi and I don't want to type others through JCF. The MBTI works just fine for me.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Using one's sig to pass on messages to others is passive-aggressive.

It was a joke, since you were the one who pointed out to me my links were broken ;)

Mal+ you are not going to argue her into believing she is NFP. You made your point and now it is only arguing for the sake of arguing.

Oeufa they do have a point in that you come across as Fi in this thread. But that doesn't necessarily mean much. A video would be a great idea.

Do I really? How so? Perhaps I'm not recognising it properly :unsure:

Ok, but I didn't say Fi and I don't want to type others through JCF. The MBTI works just fine for me.

It's more accurate with functions than it is by 16 profiles, IMO.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was a joke, since you were the one who pointed out to me my links were broken ;)

It's more accurate with functions than it is by 16 profiles, IMO.

It's more accurate for finding your cognitive function preferences. But when interpreting those in terms of the
MBTI's four-letter system, you're forced to make certain assumptions. The biggest assumption is that your function order determines P or J.