• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my INTP status in jeopardy?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't go to the counselor because I wanted to - my parents forced me to go after dropping out of university. I also don't have any problem identifying with type; I merely started this thread to see if anyone else had doubts like the career woman did :laugh:.

I still don't think that there's a strong enough correlation between interests/career and type to say I'm INFP over INTP based on my hobbies. I'd actually be inclined to lean toward ISTP if that were the case, but it's not.

Nevertheless, your counselor was on the right track. Unfortunately, she can't state what type she thinks you really are without testing. When I was in college it was a free test. Oh well. To me it's not worth a $132 test to find your type, because it's obviously INFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, I don't take anybody seriously who states that using smilies is any signal concerning type.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Smileys are an excellent way to determine type :yes:.
:):hi::bye::happy2::wubbie::hug::D;):(:cry::dry:
:mad::mellow::blush::unsure::shrug::huh::shock::shocking::wtf:
:BangHead::campfire::nice::hifive::crazy::bananallama:

Nevertheless, your counselor was on the right track. Unfortunately, she can't state what type she thinks you really are without testing. When I was in college it was a free test. Oh well. To me it's not worth a $132 test to find your type, because it's obviously INFP.

If you say so :laugh:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still don't think that there's a strong enough correlation between interests/career and type to say I'm INFP over INTP based on my hobbies. I'd actually be inclined to lean toward ISTP if that were the case, but it's not.
I agree - not about ISTP, but about hobbies, interests, and even careers. Any type can succeed at any career and derive enjoyment from any hobby or interest. The type differences will be seen primarily in their motivations for doing so, and exactly what they feel they get out of it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Smileys are an excellent way to determine type :yes:.
:):hi::bye::happy2::wubbie::hug::D;):(:cry::dry:
:mad::mellow::blush::unsure::shrug::huh::shock::shocking::wtf:
:BangHead::campfire::nice::hifive::crazy::bananallama:

If you say so :laugh:

I've never seen such an INTP post in my life. Seriously. Not.

If not INFP, then you should consider ENFP. This isn't rocket science.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
You're just jelly cause I'm more INTP than you :tongue10:

:laugh: No, really, I did take your suggestion on board and I've been reading through some INFP profiles for the last few minutes. I don't agree with much of the description at all. While there is some that fits, I think there are aspects of all types that can be applicable to anyone else. Typology isn't an exact science.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're just jelly cause I'm more INTP than you :tongue10:

:laugh: No, really, I did take your suggestion on board and I've been reading through some INFP profiles for the last few minutes. I don't agree with much of the description at all. While there is some that fits, I think there are aspects of all types that can be applicable to anyone else. Typology isn't an exact science.

If INFP is so not-right, then ENFP is the next logical choice. Over the course of this thread you've come across as more extroverted. The ENFP is, in reality, rather ambiverted, somewhere between introvert and extrovert. This factor makes the typing process more difficult.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree - not about ISTP, but about hobbies, interests, and even careers. Any type can succeed at any career.

I don't want an ESFP doing any major surgery on me. Not now, not ever.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
If INFP is so not-right, then ENFP is the next logical choice. Over the course of this thread you've come across as more extroverted. The ENFP is, in reality, rather ambiverted, somewhere between introvert and extrovert. This factor makes the typing process more difficult.

I do have strong Ne (whimsy ftw!) but ENFP? Doubt it.

They're often quite dexterous - I have two ESFP friends who have very good hands. That would make them ideal surgeons, no? :laugh:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do have strong Ne (whimsy ftw!) but ENFP? Doubt it.

"I've been reading through some INFP profiles for the last few minutes." I forgot to ask: What INFP profiles? Do you mean type-descriptions?

I don't see what Ne has to do with whimsy, unless you're talking about free-association or a kind of randomness of speech and behavior.

They're often quite dexterous - I have two ESFP friends who have very good hands. That would make them ideal surgeons, no? :laugh:

If I wanted a hand-job, yes, just not surgery. But since you're talking about an "ideal" surgeon, I wouldn't want to be operated on by someone who is less than the ideal surgeon. Would you? Of course certain types are ideal for certain careers, in general. The MBTI was created based upon that very scenario. So when someone comes along and says that any type can belong to any career, that defeats the purpose of someone using the MBTI to make the ideal career choice. Because it's not the point to say that an ENFJ can be a program developer. We all know that reality doesn't always conform with theory. But reality isn't the ideal, where the ideal exists only in the mind.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you can spot the ESFP, you are free to move on to another surgeon. In my professional interactions, I have been fooled by more than one ESFP coming across as something almost entirely opposite. They seem to be able to compartmentalize their work and private demeanors quite well when they like a job enough to give it what it takes.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you can spot the ESFP, you are free to move on to another surgeon. In my professional interactions, I have been fooled by more than one ESFP coming across as something almost entirely opposite. They seem to be able to compartmentalize their work and private demeanors quite well when they like a job enough to give it what it takes.

Then you have an ESFP who is able to compartmentalize tasks, to put aside innate flightiness and distractedness, whereas there is always an ESFP somewhere without that ability. Or to go to an extreme, my step-daughter, an ESFP whose hands shake terribly. [Edit - that means, the extreme of a non-ideal surgeon whose hands shake during surgery.]

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
"I've been reading through some INFP profiles for the last few minutes." I forgot to ask: What INFP profiles? Do you mean type-descriptions?

Usual suspects - similarminds, typelogic, personality page. I'll check out my books when I'm home later

I don't see what Ne has to do with whimsy, unless you're talking about free-association or a kind of randomness of speech and behavior.

Ne has everything to do with whimsy :laugh:

If I wanted a hand-job, yes, just not surgery. But since you're talking about an "ideal" surgeon, I wouldn't want to be operated on by someone who is less than the ideal surgeon. Would you? Of course certain types are ideal for certain careers, in general. The MBTI was created based upon that very scenario. So when someone comes along and says that any type can belong to any career, that defeats the purpose of someone using the MBTI to make the ideal career choice. Because it's not the point to say that an ENFJ can be a program developer. We all know that reality doesn't always conform with theory. But reality isn't the ideal, where the ideal exists only in the mind.

I think that's rather small-minded of you, but your call.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usual suspects - similarminds, typelogic, personality page. I'll check out my books when I'm home later

Ne has everything to do with whimsy :laugh:

I think that's rather small-minded of you, but your call.

"The ideal doesn't match reality" is small-minded of me? Then I wonder if you've understood anything I've written here. Edit - I don't think you are reading past the first line or even the first sentence of a paragraph.

For example, I didn't say that whimsy doesn't have to do with Ne, I asked for clarification about that idea.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
"The ideal doesn't match reality" is small-minded of me? Then I wonder if you've understood anything I've written here.

No, saying "ESFPs make shit surgeons but are, at least, good at getting guys off" is small-minded.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, saying "ESFPs make shit surgeons but are, at least, good at getting guys off" is small-minded.

Not reading past the first line of a paragraph is whimsical.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
whoa...she kinda even argues like an enfp.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and look at your avatar i mean come on!! haha :laugh:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

She kind of quotes like one, too. Quoting me as saying "ESFPs make shit surgeons but are, at least, good at getting guys off" is very whimsical, because that's not what I said.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
"The ideal doesn't match reality" is small-minded of me? Then I wonder if you've understood anything I've written here. Edit - I don't think you are reading past the first line or even the first sentence of a paragraph.

For example, I didn't say that whimsy doesn't have to do with Ne, I asked for clarification about that idea. Edit - I don't think you are reading past the first line or even the first sentence of a paragraph.

I'm reading everything you write, I just don't find much of it relevant tbh. What exactly would you like me to clarify about Ne and whimsy?

:laugh: