User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Type the n00b

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    16

    Default

    MBTI quizzes are useless if you don't have a clear sense of self. They're only useful if you are genuinely self aware and have a fair degree of self acceptance.I do agree that it's crucial to understand cognitive function and their interactions if one is to become confident that they're not mistyped.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapose View Post
    MBTI quizzes are useless if you don't have a clear sense of self. They're only useful if you are genuinely self aware and have a fair degree of self acceptance.I do agree that it's crucial to understand cognitive function and their interactions if one is to become confident that they're not mistyped.
    Define "clear sense of self."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #13
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Am I the only one who misread the thread title for type this b00b?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Define "clear sense of self."
    What I mean by "clear sense of self" is the ability to identify both your characteristics and behaviors accurately (realistically). Psychometric tests aren't going to be very effective for someone who isn't self-aware.*

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapose View Post
    What I mean by "clear sense of self" is the ability to identify both your characteristics and behaviors accurately (realistically). Psychometric tests aren't going to be very effective for someone who isn't self-aware.*
    I'm very self-aware and yet I still have problems with some of those test questions. But I think you're missing another perspective here: those who lie on tests, consciously or not, because they don't want to identify with certain traits they don't like to see in themselves. So you have someone answering only according to the perceived positives.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Don't ignore the tests, accept them as evidence. But the results have to be verified through studying type descriptions. It's always been that way and I don't see why anything should have to change in this.
    Tests are only somewhat useful if 1. the test is designed to measure function theory, and 2. if the person taking the test is honest about how they intake information and make desicions. In fact, the cognitive function tests tend to actually be fairly useful given that they measure how people think and attain value. MBTI tests however are based off superficial traits that can change depending on peoples moods.

    The "n00b's" self-description clearly shows INFJ. When I read "In the past, I have been told that I am too concerned with the opinions of others and I do too much people-pleasing," among other things, I don't see how anybody can get other than F out of that. I realize that everybody is into function analysis, so I have to call it Fe. But Jung also analyzed "feeling in general" and few people here seem to realize that.
    No argument there; she's certainly INFJ. However what you quoted of hers wasn't just 'feeling' in general; that direct care into the thoughts of others as well as external validation of them concerning things is Fe.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Tests are only somewhat useful if 1. the test is designed to measure function theory, and 2. if the person taking the test is honest about how they intake information and make desicions. In fact, the cognitive function tests tend to actually be fairly useful given that they measure how people think and attain value. MBTI tests however are based off superficial traits that can change depending on peoples moods.

    No argument there; she's certainly INFJ. However what you quoted of hers wasn't just 'feeling' in general; that direct care into the thoughts of others as well as external validation of them concerning things is Fe.
    I did say it was both general feeling and specific Fe. Lately I've been pointing out everybody's error of thinking that Jung only talked about functions and not functions minus attitudes, such as feeling in general without the E or I.

    But we definitely part ways when it comes to function tests, because they only give an educated guess as to MBTI type based on some formulaic assumptions about P and J. A better idea is to test directly for P and J because they have meaning in themselves.

    As for being superficial: The MBTI tests for behavioral traits. JCF looks at cognitive traits. So there is no basis for comparing one against the other. It is a worse error for a JCF test to assume that cognition implies anything about behavior by rendering an MBTI result.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Type the Star Trek Characters
    By Dark Razor in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
  2. Hey all. Type the n00b.
    By Front242 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
  3. Typing the US and England
    By Xander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM
  4. Type the mouse
    By nightning in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO