• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type the n00b

Juxtapose

Enneagram
Hello, all. This is my first thread (aside from my intro) so please don’t be too harsh, I’m still learning the ropes around here. I’ve been interested in type for a couple of months now and despite having a fair understanding of cognitive function, I’m still a bit stumped about my own type. I think it’s difficult for anyone to provide a truly objective description of themselves but I have done my best.

-I tend to freak out if I think that I will be late to a class, appointment or…anything, really.
-In the past, I have been told that I am too concerned with the opinions of others and I do too much people-pleasing. Not that I can’t draw the line between being adaptable and considerate, and allowing myself to be taken advantage of, but sometimes I let people get away with too much.
-In my daily life I am fairly reserved, modest, and quiet (shy) but once I open up to someone I have no reservations about being absolutely candid.
-I place a lot of value on honesty and intention. If you wrong me but you meant well I will be okay with it, but if I think your intentions are crappy, well basically we’re done. Also, I know that everyone lies but anything other than the occasional white lie is really a deal-breaker.
-I like to analyze situations from a myriad of different perspectives before forming an opinion about something (if forming an opinion is even appropriate within the context of the situation). I think that understanding a situation thoroughly is more valuable than passing judgments. This however does not mean that I won’t give constructive feedback when necessary.
-I can be a bit of a perfectionist. I will admit that sometimes it becomes a bit excessive :/ Ironically, I’m not a complete neat freak at home but I do like to keep my home fairly organized (I didn’t say tidy…just an organized mess :D).
-I’m fairly sure that I am an introvert because social settings tend to drain me.
-I am generally very compassionate towards people in need and enjoy helping others.
-On my off days I become bitter, snippy and sarcastic. I also tend to just stay home on these days and try not to interact with anyone because these times are usually accompanied by a bad case of verbal diarrhea.
-I am not a leader per se, but I think I have leadership potential.
-I am not extremely social, I keep to myself a lot and don’t seek out or start conversations. People say that I come off as aloof because I usually don’t follow what’s going on around me and in conversation. I sometimes phrase things not so well when speaking with others. I need a lot of time to develop my ideas.
-I over-analyze things frequently. It looks like I am absent minded when I am really lost in thought.

I hope all of this is pertinent lol. I tend to ramble from time to time. Please fill me in if I’m missing anything that’s really key. Tia for your responses and insights.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hello, all. This is my first thread (aside from my intro) so please don’t be too harsh, I’m still learning the ropes around here. I’ve been interested in type for a couple of months now and despite having a fair understanding of cognitive function, I’m still a bit stumped about my own type. I think it’s difficult for anyone to provide a truly objective description of themselves but I have done my best.

-I tend to freak out if I think that I will be late to a class, appointment or…anything, really.
-In the past, I have been told that I am too concerned with the opinions of others and I do too much people-pleasing. Not that I can’t draw the line between being adaptable and considerate, and allowing myself to be taken advantage of, but sometimes I let people get away with too much.
-In my daily life I am fairly reserved, modest, and quiet (shy) but once I open up to someone I have no reservations about being absolutely candid.
-I place a lot of value on honesty and intention. If you wrong me but you meant well I will be okay with it, but if I think your intentions are crappy, well basically we’re done. Also, I know that everyone lies but anything other than the occasional white lie is really a deal-breaker.
-I like to analyze situations from a myriad of different perspectives before forming an opinion about something (if forming an opinion is even appropriate within the context of the situation). I think that understanding a situation thoroughly is more valuable than passing judgments. This however does not mean that I won’t give constructive feedback when necessary.
-I can be a bit of a perfectionist. I will admit that sometimes it becomes a bit excessive :/ Ironically, I’m not a complete neat freak at home but I do like to keep my home fairly organized (I didn’t say tidy…just an organized mess :D).
-I’m fairly sure that I am an introvert because social settings tend to drain me.
-I am generally very compassionate towards people in need and enjoy helping others.
-On my off days I become bitter, snippy and sarcastic. I also tend to just stay home on these days and try not to interact with anyone because these times are usually accompanied by a bad case of verbal diarrhea.
-I am not extremely social, I keep to myself a lot and don’t seek out or start conversations. People say that I come off as aloof because I usually don’t follow what’s going on around me and in conversation. I sometimes phrase things not so well when speaking with others. I need a lot of time to develop my ideas.
-I over-analyze things frequently. It looks like I am absent minded when I am really lost in thought.

I hope all of this is pertinent lol. I tend to ramble from time to time. Please fill me in if I’m missing anything that’s really key. Tia for your responses and insights.
Perhaps INTJ: Ni-Te-Fi-Se (with a fairly developed Fi)?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My instinct is I s f j not sure why yet.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

My instinct is I s f j not sure why yet.

The tone this I can see; the facts I am not inclined to agree. As for what you are to me I can see INTJ being plausible.

On the other hand.

I think developed Fi is somewhat of a cop-out and aloofness can be caused by introversion in general.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good example of an INFJ if I ever saw one.

Also, welcome to the forums :hi:

Juxtapose

Enneagram
I've tested INFJ, INFP, INTJ and ENFJ (in order of frequency). I'm somewhat skeptical about the accuracy of it (although I identify most with INFJ) because of the over-representation of this type among various forums, but I'm beginning to question the statistical data itself (along with the effectiveness of online testing). I'm sure these are topics of discussion that have been frequently chewed over. Also, Ni is relatively difficult to identify in action, so there's that

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That all says INFJ to me.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've tested INFJ, INFP, INTJ and ENFJ (in order of frequency). I'm somewhat skeptical about the accuracy of it (although I identify most with INFJ) because of the over-representation of this type among various forums, but I'm beginning to question the statistical data itself (along with the effectiveness of online testing). I'm sure these are topics of discussion that have been frequently chewed over. Also, Ni is relatively difficult to identify in action, so there's that

Ignore the tests, they're for the most part completely unreliable.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think INFJ is most likely, 2nd choice would be ISFJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ignore the tests, they're for the most part completely unreliable.

Don't ignore the tests, accept them as evidence. But the results have to be verified through studying type descriptions. It's always been that way and I don't see why anything should have to change in this.

The "n00b's" self-description clearly shows INFJ. When I read "In the past, I have been told that I am too concerned with the opinions of others and I do too much people-pleasing," among other things, I don't see how anybody can get other than F out of that. I realize that everybody is into function analysis, so I have to call it Fe. But Jung also analyzed "feeling in general" and few people here seem to realize that.

Juxtapose

Enneagram
MBTI quizzes are useless if you don't have a clear sense of self. They're only useful if you are genuinely self aware and have a fair degree of self acceptance.I do agree that it's crucial to understand cognitive function and their interactions if one is to become confident that they're not mistyped.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI quizzes are useless if you don't have a clear sense of self. They're only useful if you are genuinely self aware and have a fair degree of self acceptance.I do agree that it's crucial to understand cognitive function and their interactions if one is to become confident that they're not mistyped.

Define "clear sense of self."

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Am I the only one who misread the thread title for type this b00b?

Juxtapose

Enneagram
Define "clear sense of self."

What I mean by "clear sense of self" is the ability to identify both your characteristics and behaviors accurately (realistically). Psychometric tests aren't going to be very effective for someone who isn't self-aware.*

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I mean by "clear sense of self" is the ability to identify both your characteristics and behaviors accurately (realistically). Psychometric tests aren't going to be very effective for someone who isn't self-aware.*

I'm very self-aware and yet I still have problems with some of those test questions. But I think you're missing another perspective here: those who lie on tests, consciously or not, because they don't want to identify with certain traits they don't like to see in themselves. So you have someone answering only according to the perceived positives.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't ignore the tests, accept them as evidence. But the results have to be verified through studying type descriptions. It's always been that way and I don't see why anything should have to change in this.

Tests are only somewhat useful if 1. the test is designed to measure function theory, and 2. if the person taking the test is honest about how they intake information and make desicions. In fact, the cognitive function tests tend to actually be fairly useful given that they measure how people think and attain value. MBTI tests however are based off superficial traits that can change depending on peoples moods.

The "n00b's" self-description clearly shows INFJ. When I read "In the past, I have been told that I am too concerned with the opinions of others and I do too much people-pleasing," among other things, I don't see how anybody can get other than F out of that. I realize that everybody is into function analysis, so I have to call it Fe. But Jung also analyzed "feeling in general" and few people here seem to realize that.

No argument there; she's certainly INFJ. However what you quoted of hers wasn't just 'feeling' in general; that direct care into the thoughts of others as well as external validation of them concerning things is Fe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tests are only somewhat useful if 1. the test is designed to measure function theory, and 2. if the person taking the test is honest about how they intake information and make desicions. In fact, the cognitive function tests tend to actually be fairly useful given that they measure how people think and attain value. MBTI tests however are based off superficial traits that can change depending on peoples moods.

No argument there; she's certainly INFJ. However what you quoted of hers wasn't just 'feeling' in general; that direct care into the thoughts of others as well as external validation of them concerning things is Fe.

I did say it was both general feeling and specific Fe. Lately I've been pointing out everybody's error of thinking that Jung only talked about functions and not functions minus attitudes, such as feeling in general without the E or I.

But we definitely part ways when it comes to function tests, because they only give an educated guess as to MBTI type based on some formulaic assumptions about P and J. A better idea is to test directly for P and J because they have meaning in themselves.

As for being superficial: The MBTI tests for behavioral traits. JCF looks at cognitive traits. So there is no basis for comparing one against the other. It is a worse error for a JCF test to assume that cognition implies anything about behavior by rendering an MBTI result.