• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my new boss/research adviser

What type is my new adviser?

• INTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• INFP

• INFJ

• ENFP

• ENFJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• Total voters

ygolo

My termites win
It has been so long since I participated in this parlor game, and I have insomnia, so I figured I would start a type related thread.

The main reason I chose my adviser (besides his research being cool) is that he seems to be an extremely lucid thinker and very precise (but also very concise) in his lectures. His knowledge base also seems to be both broader and deeper than most of the other professors I have met.

He is Russian, and I think to American ears, a lot of what he says can seem rude or mean, but nevertheless many students he has interacted with say that he is "mean". Though most of his graduate students believe he is a good guy (though some admit that he has mood swings).

He told me that he didn't like the way the post-doc I share an office with keeps his side of the office and advised me to keep my side neat. His own office is reasonably organized.

He got mad at me for getting to a class he teaches late a few times in a row (though the time he said something, I was not technically late according to my watch). Also, he himself, shows up late fairly regularly to that same class.

He has official office hours but didn't remember when they were till a student told him.

He had duplicate notes/hw-sets/etc. on the class web site till a student mentioned it to him. He claimed he was waiting for a student to mention it to him before fixing this.

Despite this, his lectures (and associated notes) are amazing (from my perspective). He is not incredibly animated, but basically everything he lectures on is insightful and he clearly enjoys the subject. Practically every sentence he writes in his lecture notes is well crafted and imparts essential knowledge, but are made so clear that it almost seems trivial.

He apparently thought he had a lot of money left for funding, but all of a sudden, ran out. All in all, he doesn't seem that good with administrative stuff.

He gives direction that can seem, at times, to be self-contradictory--not in terms that he what needs to be done, but rather in terms of what needs to done first/now.

He sets high standards and expectations, but is rather laid back on a day-to-day basis.

So, any guesses on his type? (BTW, I may not check back for like a week, so make your best determination based on what I posted. Q&A regarding his other behaviors will be slow. Feel free to debate each other. That's always fun to read)

G

Glycerine

Hard to tell. Some sort of INXX would be my best guess. From the limited info, I gathered that he's spacey and in his own little world most of the time which would probably indicate a leaning towards INXX. Beyond that, I can't really make an educated guess on the other two letters without falling into a lot of stereotypes.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my best guess is some kind of IxxP. I can identify with a lot of what you described. The optimization of what he says/writes seems IXTP to me, maybe leaning more ISTP? That's definitely something I constantly strive for in a professional setting at least (and am pretty good at, imo).

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
It has been so long since I participated in this parlor game, and I have insomnia, so I figured I would start a type related thread.

The main reason I chose my adviser (besides his research being cool) is that he seems to be an extremely lucid thinker and very precise (but also very concise) in his lectures. His knowledge base also seems to be both broader and deeper than most of the other professors I have met.

He is Russian, and I think to American ears, a lot of what he says can seem rude or mean, but nevertheless many students he has interacted with say that he is "mean". Though most of his graduate students believe he is a good guy (though some admit that he has mood swings).

He told me that he didn't like the way the post-doc I share an office with keeps his side of the office and advised me to keep my side neat. His own office is reasonably organized.

He got mad at me for getting to a class he teaches late a few times in a row (though the time he said something, I was not technically late according to my watch). Also, he himself, shows up late fairly regularly to that same class.

He has official office hours but didn't remember when they were till a student told him.

He had duplicate notes/hw-sets/etc. on the class web site till a student mentioned it to him. He claimed he was waiting for a student to mention it to him before fixing this.

Despite this, his lectures (and associated notes) are amazing (from my perspective). He is not incredibly animated, but basically everything he lectures on is insightful and he clearly enjoys the subject. Practically every sentence he writes in his lecture notes is well crafted and imparts essential knowledge, but are made so clear that it almost seems trivial.

He apparently thought he had a lot of money left for funding, but all of a sudden, ran out. All in all, he doesn't seem that good with administrative stuff.

He gives direction that can seem, at times, to be self-contradictory--not in terms that he what needs to be done, but rather in terms of what needs to done first/now.

He sets high standards and expectations, but is rather laid back on a day-to-day basis.

So, any guesses on his type? (BTW, I may not check back for like a week, so make your best determination based on what I posted. Q&A regarding his other behaviors will be slow. Feel free to debate each other. That's always fun to read)
I would say an ISTP with their Ni developed fairly well and has basically no Si in my opinion. The whole "I left that for the student duplicate note thing" kinda shows that he seems more Ni or at the very least really lacking Si. In either case Ne and Si are functions for INTP. So I kinda doubt he is one. ISTP: Ti-Se-Ni-Fe compared to INTP: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe.

ygolo

My termites win
I see both good Ti and Ni in him so ISTP seems plausible, but he is not very directive.

I have never heard him say, "do ____" or even "Please, do ___". He usually says things more along the lines of "You need to do ___" or "I suggest you do ___". He even said this week, that taking day-to-day directions may be better coming from the post-doc I work with rather than him.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see both good Ti and Ni in him so ISTP seems plausible, but he is not very directive.

I have never heard him say, "do ____" or even "Please, do ___". He usually says things more along the lines of "You need to do ___" or "I suggest you do ___". He even said this week, that taking day-to-day directions may be better coming from the post-doc I work with rather than him.

Is directive something ISTPs are supposed to be? That seems strange to me?

ygolo

My termites win
Is directive something ISTPs are supposed to be? That seems strange to me?

According to how I read Berens, Nardi and company, yes.

STs and NJs are suppose to be more directing than informing, while SFs and NPs more informing than directing.

Just don't really see Chart-the-Course with this guy. He has many of the qualities of INTPs, ISTPs, and INTJs, but the interaction-style is certainly more a Behind-the-Scenes than Chart-the-Course. He has good Ti,Ni,Ne, and even Te. So it would be hard to guess by functions. Very close on J/P, but I, and T are very clear. If I had to choose between N and S, I would say N, partly because he is so absent minded.

I don't put much stock in peoples types anymore, but trying to figure it out makes me pay closer attention to behavior, values, etc. of a person. So in the end, the I just keep those observations in mind, rather than whatever type I chose for the person.

G

Glycerine

Maybe it has more do with his background experiences and enneagram which could explain some variance.