User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. #41
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
    I think you're on the right track about no Ne or Se. The more I think about it, the more I notice myself using Ni. That rules out Ti, but leaves room for Te...



    Did some research. As usual, I see some aspects of myself in all five. A rough hierarchy is: Synthesist > Analyst = Pragmatist > Idealist > Realist. That's based off reading descriptions, no test involved.
    The Synthesist is kind of correlated with Ni or Ne. In the book "The Art of Thinking" there was the example of two Synthesists brain-storming (which they love doing) about a new manufacturing process. At the end of the discussion, one of them said, "could we simulate the horse's ass in plastic?"
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #42
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Once you are to the point where you've been staring at anything for 8 years you will know too much about it to do it unbiased.

  3. #43
    Member plastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    358 so/sp
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The Synthesist is kind of correlated with Ni or Ne. In the book "The Art of Thinking" there was the example of two Synthesists brain-storming (which they love doing) about a new manufacturing process. At the end of the discussion, one of them said, "could we simulate the horse's ass in plastic?"
    Ah yes, horse ass plastic simulation (HASP). Very important in veterinary science these days. I wasn't aware that the developers of the process were being studied by the author of The Art of Thinking. What a coincidence!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Once you are to the point where you've been staring at anything for 8 years you will know too much about it to do it unbiased.
    Very true. That's why I have to resort to asking strangers (like everyone here) and friends who aren't familiar with MBTI.

  4. #44
    Member plastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    358 so/sp
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Hey everyone - I'm ENTJ!

    At this point I'm 95% certain. First off, I want to thank everybody who took the time to reply to this thread. I realize not one person here picked ENTJ, but that doesn't mean I disregarded everything you said. Each person's input provided another clue to help solve this puzzle. And it was a great introduction to this forum, so thank you very much

    Below, I'm going to outline why ENTJ makes the most sense. If you're curious, read on. Feel free to continue the discussion and comment on why you agree/disagree. Otherwise, that's all, folks!

    1) The eight-year quest
    When I discovered MBTI as an adolescent, the type I most identified with was ENTJ. I was never convinced for long. In general, I think the better you know someone, the harder it is to determine their type. That was the case with myself. Wavering for eight years seems to suggest P. But who other than an NJ would pursue the project so obsessively, unable to rest until the truth had been discovered and closure obtained?

    2) Why I sound like an ESTP
    I used to be pretty awkward, not good at small talk, and impatient with others. I would try to socialize with many people, but most would fail to reciprocate or let me down in some way. In the last few years, I've learned to develop my sense of humor and personal style (verbal and sartorial), and to engage with others without expecting anything in return. At the same time, I've loosened up and gotten better at taking things as they come. These skills come naturally to an ESTP, but I had to cultivate them.

    3) N or S?
    First off, I have no Si. Period. As point number 2 indicates, I've recently been developing my Se skills. A perfect example is studying body language to get better at reading people. I'm also at a point in my life where the future is unclear, and it seems my only option is to live in the moment for the time being. The recent emphasis on bringing out my Se makes it easy to mistake it as my dominant function.

    However, I'm really an N through and through. Given the right companion, my conversations always end up in deep abstraction (and the occasional debate ). I hate doing things without knowing the underlying purpose. Throughout my life, my two greatest hobbies have been reading and strategy games. According to my parents, as a child I would focus intensely on the task at hand, oblivious of my surroundings. I enjoyed running around outside, but I was never good at sports. If that doesn't say N over S, I don't know what does.

    4) Ni or Ne? Ti or Te?
    ENTP (Ne > Ti) was another frontrunner. I was convinced for a while. I'm almost always late and tend to forget appointments, paperwork, etc. But the reason isn't that I'm juggling a million things at once. It's because I get so wrapped up in one activity that I neglect everything else that needs to get done. And what ENTJ actually wants to do paperwork? I need a personal secretary to take care of such mundane tasks so I can focus on what's really important! My mind is always planning, sorting, categorizing. I judge people, quite literally, within a second of seeing them. Reassessment is completed within a second of talking to them. When I commute, I'm either philosophizing or planning the rest of my day down to the minute (fully aware that I'll end up shattering my own plan). Long story short, my intuition is focused (Ni). I fully recognize the value of divergent thinking (Ne), but it doesn't come as naturally to me. While I identify with Ti, Te is unmistakably present.

    The final evidence came from reddit's INTJ subreddit. Reading the page was like listening to a thousand clones of myself. Their thought processes and ideas were identical to mine, with one striking difference: they all hated small talk. To elaborate, they all possess a lack of social inclination that I simply don't identify with. The logical conclusion is that we're so similar because we share the same functions; I'm just more extroverted. Flip Ni > Te, and you get Te > Ni: ENTJ. (Side note: I often prefer solitude. Friends have described me as a mix of super-social and super-reserved. I've heard ENTJ's are the most introverted of the extroverts, so that makes sense).

    5) Emotions, mother******: do you have them?
    No. Okay, I do, but they're controlled and tend to be positive. I spend most of my life calm, cool, and collected, but occasionally it all comes crashing down. Over one or two days, loneliness, yearning for significance, fantasies, regrets, and bittersweet contemplation wash over me. Them I'm back to normal. Inferior Fi, anyone?
    Last edited by plastic; 04-26-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: ninja'd to add more points

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Funny, for about 8 years (ages 8-16), I thought I was ISTP, which I may have sort of become through social conditioning, sports, school, friends, and so forth, but as a kid under age 8 I was more of a thinker than a doer, so now I have finally rediscovered the inner INTP within me and broken the bonds of social conditioning. I am INTP, I am liberated, and I am free!

    Glad that you to @plastic discovered you are a fellow NT rather than an SP (like I thought I was too lol)

  6. #46
    Senior Member Mitsuko Souma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
    Hey everyone - I'm ENTJ!

    At this point I'm 95% certain. First off, I want to thank everybody who took the time to reply to this thread. I realize not one person here picked ENTJ, but that doesn't mean I disregarded everything you said. Each person's input provided another clue to help solve this puzzle. And it was a great introduction to this forum, so thank you very much

    Below, I'm going to outline why ENTJ makes the most sense. If you're curious, read on. Feel free to continue the discussion and comment on why you agree/disagree. Otherwise, that's all, folks!

    1) The eight-year quest
    When I discovered MBTI as an adolescent, the type I most identified with was ENTJ. I was never convinced for long. In general, I think the better you know someone, the harder it is to determine their type. That was the case with myself. Wavering for eight years seems to suggest P. But who other than an NJ would pursue the project so obsessively, unable to rest until the truth had been discovered and closure obtained?

    2) Why I sound like an ESTP
    I used to be pretty awkward, not good at small talk, and impatient with others. I would try to socialize with many people, but most would fail to reciprocate or let me down in some way. In the last few years, I've learned to develop my sense of humor and personal style (verbal and sartorial), and to engage with others without expecting anything in return. At the same time, I've loosened up and gotten better at taking things as they come. These skills come naturally to an ESTP, but I had to cultivate them.

    3) N or S?
    First off, I have no Si. Period. As point number 2 indicates, I've recently been developing my Se skills. A perfect example is studying body language to get better at reading people. I'm also at a point in my life where the future is unclear, and it seems my only option is to live in the moment for the time being. The recent emphasis on bringing out my Se makes it easy to mistake it as my dominant function.

    However, I'm really an N through and through. Given the right companion, my conversations always end up in deep abstraction (and the occasional debate ). I hate doing things without knowing the underlying purpose. Throughout my life, my two greatest hobbies have been reading and strategy games. According to my parents, as a child I would focus intensely on the task at hand, oblivious of my surroundings. I enjoyed running around outside, but I was never good at sports. If that doesn't say N over S, I don't know what does.

    4) Ni or Ne? Ti or Te?
    ENTP (Ne > Ti) was another frontrunner. I was convinced for a while. I'm almost always late and tend to forget appointments, paperwork, etc. But the reason isn't that I'm juggling a million things at once. It's because I get so wrapped up in one activity that I neglect everything else that needs to get done. And what ENTJ actually wants to do paperwork? I need a personal secretary to take care of such mundane tasks so I can focus on what's really important! My mind is always planning, sorting, categorizing. I judge people, quite literally, within a second of seeing them. Reassessment is completed within a second of talking to them. When I commute, I'm either philosophizing or planning the rest of my day down to the minute (fully aware that I'll end up shattering my own plan). Long story short, my intuition is focused (Ni). I fully recognize the value of divergent thinking (Ne), but it doesn't come as naturally to me. While I identify with Ti, Te is unmistakably present.

    The final evidence came from reddit's INTJ subreddit. Reading the page was like listening to a thousand clones of myself. Their thought processes and ideas were identical to mine, with one striking difference: they all hated small talk. To elaborate, they all possess a lack of social inclination that I simply don't identify with. The logical conclusion is that we're so similar because we share the same functions; I'm just more extroverted. Flip Ni > Te, and you get Te > Ni: ENTJ. (Side note: I often prefer solitude. Friends have described me as a mix of super-social and super-reserved. I've heard ENTJ's are the most introverted of the extroverts, so that makes sense).

    5) Emotions, mother******: do you have them?
    No. Okay, I do, but they're controlled and tend to be positive. I spend most of my life calm, cool, and collected, but occasionally it all comes crashing down. Over one or two days, loneliness, yearning for significance, fantasies, regrets, and bittersweet contemplation wash over me. Them I'm back to normal. Inferior Fi, anyone?
    Congrats on finding your own type.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Funny, for about 8 years (ages 8-16), I thought I was ISTP, which I may have sort of become through social conditioning, sports, school, friends, and so forth, but as a kid under age 8 I was more of a thinker than a doer, so now I have finally rediscovered the inner INTP within me and broken the bonds of social conditioning. I am INTP, I am liberated, and I am free!

    Glad that you to @plastic discovered you are a fellow NT rather than an SP (like I thought I was too lol)
    I lied about being INTP. I am really ISTP, ESTP, or ESFP because I am extremely hedonistic and have no capacity for logical analysis whatsoever. That rules out INTP completely, and makes @plastic a definite hyper-intellectual ENTJ.

Similar Threads

  1. Not sure what my type is
    By AnnexInTheSky in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 05:20 PM
  2. I'm still not sure of my type but I think I'm an ENTJ.
    By Nicki in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 02:08 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
  4. Not entirely sure what my type is...
    By Kriash in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 11:17 PM
  5. [INFJ] Not Sure About my Type
    By jason_m in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO