Thread: INTJ vs ISTJ

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    I agree that a person can't be both, but don't you think that a pressuring environment can force an INTJ kid to attempt to act ISTJ (or vice versa), hence the confusion?
    The pressuring environment can force someone to go against type, and I think this is the root of problems some adults experience, where they were forced to be something they weren't... but the personality will only conform to a certain degree. (e.g., a "natural" ISTJ looks different, I think, in the nuances, than an INTJ forced to act ISTJ).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I agree that a person can't be both, but don't you think that a pressuring environment can force an INTJ kid to attempt to act ISTJ (or vice versa), hence the confusion?
    Yes. And in the process you learn to use the function so much that in the end you start preferring both about equally, switching depending on the task at hand. There's absolutely no reason why a person can't be about equally strong in Ni and Si. A bit like a right handed person could be trained from early childhood to use both hands and in the end could be about equally proficient in both and only have a slight preference for the right hand.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The pressuring environment can force someone to go against type, and I think this is the root of problems some adults experience, where they were forced to be something they weren't... but the personality will only conform to a certain degree. (e.g., a "natural" ISTJ looks different, I think, in the nuances, than an INTJ forced to act ISTJ).
    Yes, that's true, and no, the personality can't change radically. But minor changes are common, so someone close to the border could easily become ambi from the conforming. Thinking of functions not only as preferences but also as skills helps with understanding for me.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

Well, I guess I am ISTJ, but I have developed my introverted intuition. Possibly...
    As a child, I would have been described as INTJ because I never listened to anyone and did things my own way.
    But. I had my own routine for everything and did not want it messed up. I woke up at the same time and I was ready for bed at the same time each night. No one had to tell me to go to bed. I was like a little clock.

Isn't the purpose of these categories to better understand yourself and find ways to improve? Just because one side is preferred or dominant does not mean the other side can't be just awesome. Or.... not?

MBTI
    Zzzz

^ You don't seem like an INTJ to me either. (Hee, I read your Hate list and immediately was reminded of my ISTJ dad z.z). Reading your list here, again, reminds me of ISTJs in general.

You enjoy repetition, hmm. I wouldn't think INTJs of liking too much repetition at all-- reminds me of Si. Doing the tried, tested and true and enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taberculosis
    As a child, I would have been described as INTJ because I never listened to anyone and did things my own way.
    I would think INTJ children can be more complacent and would listen, so long as people (or the adults instructing them) are being reasonable and will explain why they're having them do certain tasks or are in their presence bothering them when they're busy and would rather be alone... Out of curiousity, would you say you were called a daydreamer as a kid or consider yourself as being one? I'd guess no. (?)

I also think ISTJs are better at Te, or at least initially, than INTJs. Also, INTJs won't bother if they don't feel like explaining themselves, especially if not given enough time to formulate their thoughts-- or they just don't think the people are worth it or will understand them, anyway. I'd think ISTJs would be quicker than them to voice their thoughts and would lay down the law.-especially when shutting people down, when they deserve it. INTJs won't care to bother, unless directly affected. It's not worth it to them.

-However, I am more future orientated (like and INTJ) as opposed to the "here and now" like an ISTJ.
    Everyone can be future oriented, at times.

You can develop yourself/CPs and appear to be a less 'stereotypical' version of an ISTJ, for sure, and evolve into a more balanced person. Who says you can't strengthen Ni or Fi? etc Have you looked into learning CPs?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Everyone can be future oriented, at times.
    Additionally, intuition doesn't strictly adhere to our preconception of being future oriented.

More what it does, is compare and contrast several sensations, and finds a pattern, which can be followed toward one or more possible ends or results, before any of them take place, which is the 'future orientation' given when talking about an intuitor.

It might be an idea of what will happen soon, but it might just as easily be an idea about what already is happening, but what hasn't been mentioned directly.

Making plans for later that day or even later in your life is not a function of intuition. That's Thinking at work.

Intuition usually 'does away' with those sensations once the intuition is spun and stores and uses the pattern to devise the possibilities.

You might think about the future without necessarily intuiting.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    JIxT

My behavior is very much like an ISTJ. I am a calm, composed, practical, grounded individual. But my thought processes are much like an INTJ, cuz I have horrible Si memory and I have streaks of Ni all the time. I just keep my Ni practical.
    I think it is society and family. ISTJ is the perfect choice for adaptation because they are conforming and disciplined. It is not necessary as uncomfortable to go from N to S as it is to go from I to E or T to F. That might be a factor.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Taberculosis View Post
    -And I don't believe in God. I despise religious institutions. ....Which goes against the ISTJ-ness "valuing tradition and religion" idea. But, at the same time, I value facts and details, so religion just does not seem very practical or reliable to me.... So maybe that is ISTJ-ish?
    My ISTJ mother is between agnosticism and atheism and she has very low Ni.

She does have well defined Ne though.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    My behavior is very much like an ISTJ. I am a calm, composed, practical, grounded individual.
    That's the Te. It's why ISTJ and INTJ might look the same. If they're especially TJ, or especially introverted or both, then they'll likely appear to be the same without paying close attention, as they show up long enough to Te for a little, and go back to their corner and quietly watch. This is not to say they're identical.

But my thought processes are much like an INTJ, cuz I have horrible Si memory and I have streaks of Ni all the time. I just keep my Ni practical.
    Another function of the Thinking. Especially Te. Highly pragmatic. Of all the intuitions you make, you may only consciously notice, and be able to voice the ones that appeal to Te -- those ones that can be easily applied.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    JIxT

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    That's the Te. It's why ISTJ and INTJ might look the same. If they're especially TJ, or especially introverted or both, then they'll likely appear to be the same, as they show up long enough to Te for a little, and go back to their corner and quietly watch. Another function of the Thinking. Especially Te. Highly pragmatic. Of all the intuitions you make, you may only consciously notice, and be able to voice the ones that appeal to Te -- those ones that can be easily applied.
    I know that INTJs let their Ni rambuctuously bounce around their heads, but I do not have any of that. I think my Te took a front seat. INTJs are quite creative, me, not so much, but I do have an INTJs fierce opinionatedness and mental individualism.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.