• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Having trouble determining if I'm INFJ or INFP

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm really confused.

Now, when I took the MBTI, I tested for both INFJ and INFP; in both instances, the J/P axis were REALLY ambivalent (like, only a 1-8% tilt towards either)

I relate a lot to the issues common to INF's (being sensitive about ideals, etc.), http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/33493-common-infp-issues.html , http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/33051-common-infj-issues.html

But the thing is...I relate to issues from BOTH INFP and INFJ. I definitely relate to the INFJ tendency becoming 'merged' with and over-protective of certain characters I obsess upon, such as movies and such. For instance, I remember just the other day, I was on the college campus, and someone was trying to tell me about an alternate ending to Sucker Punch that I did NOT want to hear; I literally ended up yelling at them "We are NOT talking about this! WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS! Not to ME!" until they finally took a hint and shut up. (It's not that I was trying to squelch out their voice, but rather that I feel like I very strongly relate to the character of Babydoll, and I didn't want him to tell me something that made her seem weak because then I would feel like I would be made out as weak. See where I'm going, here?)

However, I feel like I have no issues about being 'reserved' that are commonly associated with INFJs. I don't feel like I have problems 'opening up' to anybody, but I do feel like sometimes I have to backpedal and shut people out of my life if they prove too needy or taxing on me. And I am also sensitive to criticism in the way that INFP's are, because I feel like any ideas or creative endeavors I undertake are a complete masterpiece, and that criticizing a part of it would be to criticize the WHOLE of it, as well as the whole of ME.

I feel like I have a conflict between Fi/Fe; I feel like I KNOW the expectations and society of those around me, but that I can't always conform to them because it would be sacrificing myself. At the same time, sometimes I KNOW what I want to do, but I'm forced to prevent myself from going through with it because I know then I would be violating a social more and therefore would be in a position of conflict. For instance; I am a skilled driver, but haven't yet passed my driving test; were I not concerned in the unlikely 'what-if' chance that I'd be pulled over (Fe), I would go ahead and drive on my own anyway. As for my Fi cockblocking my Fe, I know that I would probably have less conflict with my environment if I accepted the fact that I was bisexual and settled for a boyfriend (there are many that would like my company), but my Fi tells me that that's not what I want, and that I'd rather have female company (i.e. a girlfriend).

I feel like I am REALLY not aware of my own body (Si); I often forget to take showers and brush my teeth, and often even forget to EAT because my mind is so engrossed in other affairs. However, my Si is also acute, in a way, because I have an eidetic memory (for auditory stimuli, meaning I have perfect pitch), and the strength of an emotional memory never fades (I STILL feel like crap whenever I remember an argument I had with my parents over 4 years ago, or whenever I think of a problem I've had or whenever I've put them in a compromising position, and I still apologize profusely to them whenever the memory comes back). I have very acute senses as well; I am often prone to sensory overload, meaning that if I am presented with too much going on in my environment at once (too many people trying to IM me at once, or someone trying to talk to me while the TV is on), or if my attention is pulled in too many directions at once, I will become agitated VERY easily and VERY quickly. I find myself wishing I were more spontaneous, and were able to carry out some of my ideas on a whim (for instance, say someone invites me to a party that same day, I will often decline because I don't 'feel like it', and then end up feeling crappy about myself and wishing I were more able to react on such impulses).

As for my Introverted Intuition...it's complicated. I have a vivid imagination, and I often find myself daydreaming about various ways something could play out (be it in my own life, or a fictional scenario). I have a way of becoming suddenly obsessed with certain characters from movies/tv shows even before I know about their characterization. It's not even just a superficial design either...it's usually that I'll see the character in a trailer and I'll think nothing of it, but then I'll be carrying on a few days afterwards and find that character's appearance and/or voice sticking in my head...and I'll slowly become obsessed with them. Obviously, this is not a superficial infatuation, because it takes a while for it to develop, and while aspects of character design and personality come into play, it's usually what I feel like the character represents that fascinates me: an aloof, mysterious woman who has strange powers or holds a position of control or authority. As for Extroverted Intuition...I dunno.

Well...that's all I have so far. Does anyone have anything they'd like to ask or add to help me find my type? Am I heading in the right direction?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's you enneagram type? It's just that I noticed you mentioned how you desire some level of social acceptance and preserving your onw unique sense of self; perhaps then you're a 4 sp in the enneagram, and an INFJ in JCF. The dilemma you face may be the opposeing nature of 4 vs. Fe (this is also why I beleive the two opposite types to be compatible).

You Si sounds tertiary, and your Se sounds inferior; so either INFP or INFJ is possible in that readar. Considering your intution, I'm not all too sure, try reading these function descriptions, they're preety useful:

http://www.personalitynation.com/jungian-cognitive-functions/486-introduction-cognitive-functions.html

Hope that helps :)

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am inclined to say INFP. I don't have the time to pick it out sentence by sentence, but it *seems* as though the way your processing is perception oriented.. constantly taking in new data.

But I agree that looking at the cog functions closer should prove to be helpful.. because cognitively INFP and INFJ don't share any function.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took a test that evaluated the function-usage itself rather than shoeing it into a type.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.5)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.5)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.5)
good use

Looking at all of my functions, the mapping seems to closely match INFJ in regards to patterning; my weakest faults (which I agree with) are Introverted Sensing and Extraverted Thinking. However, my strengths are Extraverted Intuition, Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking, which are more of a mixture between INFJ and INFP. I'm not sure whether my Introverted Intuition was measured properly, because I think I've been trained to 'ignore' it because I've perceived via my Fe that people hate 'shaky personal realizations'. I hate conflict...but I still feel like I want to share my ideas with others. It's like...I wanna build my own worlds, but I want to know if my ideas have validity.

So...does this affect the insight?

WhimsyGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i would say INFJ, actually. i just get a clearer sense of "J" from your description, you seem to have more boundaries that affect your way of looking at the world, and u mentioned that u wished u were more spontaneous. INFP's have more issues with boundaries, they, of all FP's seem to be the most flightly (because, let's face it where the hell is their Te anyway??), they don't seem to make the same boundaries with people as you describe. also, personifying, understanding and becoming a part of a symbolism through a ficitional character is a pretty 4ish quality, if we were doing the whole package and discussing enneagram. a social 4 would probably fit...so/sp.

Starry

I took a test that evaluated the function-usage itself rather than shoeing it into a type.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.5)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.5)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.5)
good use

Looking at all of my functions, the mapping seems to closely match INFJ in regards to patterning; my weakest faults (which I agree with) are Introverted Sensing and Extraverted Thinking. However, my strengths are Extraverted Intuition, Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking, which are more of a mixture between INFJ and INFP. I'm not sure whether my Introverted Intuition was measured properly, because I think I've been trained to 'ignore' it because I've perceived via my Fe that people hate 'shaky personal realizations'. I hate conflict...but I still feel like I want to share my ideas with others. It's like...I wanna build my own worlds, but I want to know if my ideas have validity.

So...does this affect the insight?

Hello Ribonuke,

I'm not the best at reading these type of cognative results...but I was wondering what they were giving you for this. I mean...these results don't look extraordinarily different from mine...and they gave me ENFP, ENTP or INFP. Did it say INFJ?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They said INTP, or INFP or ENFP, but they never indicated INFJ. I feel like all I've read about INFJ's relates to me more...and again, I feel like I'm somewhat of a mixture! It kinda depends on who I'm talking to.

WhimsyGirl, that last link REALLY helped, because they gave visual examples of them in ACTION. I think I notice I tend to go quiet during conversations sometimes when I'm thinking, and the Fe side of me feels like I have to do some back-pedaling and justifying to make sure I'm not being socially awkward by going quiet. I am DEFINITELY an introverted Thinker, and I *hate* Extroverted thinking. At least when it comes to planning and organizing; I might end up getting to the point where when I'm in a like mind, I'll want to finish the other person's sentence and build from it rather than internalize what they're saying. It's like...I need to have a plan, but I have to be able to adapt to it as things come?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if Double-posting is a faux pas on this forum, but considering I've seen a few posters in other threads get away with it without apparent retribution, I'm going to risk it here:

I think I'm pretty INFJ, probably more so than I'd like to admit due to my desire to be free-spirited...even though I'm not. ._. I need to ask you guys, though, if these are indeed signs of an INFJ?

* I like offering my opinions, but at the same time I tend to beat around the bush because I'm worried about being judged? Like...for example, I could debate about this INFx stuff for a long time with you guys, but I eventually reach a point where I'm too chicken to say something because I'm worried someone will ostracize me from the INFJ crowd.

* I don't mind non-conformity; in fact, I'm often jealous of INFPs who are more readily able to follow their quirkier bohemian lifestyles. I often WISH I could be more impulsive and non-conformist (i.e. getting a tattoo I've wanted), but I worry too much about having to navigate the social annals of having to explain to my friends and family; even if I know they would not care, I still worry in the back of my mind that they'd be concerned. It's like...I don't necessarily follow social order because I know it's THE best way for society to run itself, but rather because I'm very concerned about being ostracized for sticking my neck out too far. Or having to feed off of the negative emotions of others' disapproval of me. This is Fe, right? Or is it incognito Fi?

* This issue of Te...I'm not quite sure what the difference between 'Ti' and 'Te' is. I'm pretty sure I'm unskilled in the Te department, mainly because I have a HORRIBLE time trying to follow external organizational patterns. I'll spend HOURS reviewing the parameters of a college assignment and then apply them mercilessly to my work, and such fretting has often led me to 'give up' or procrastinate on the assignment until RIGHT before it's due. Sometimes, it's led me to not complete the assignment at all! In grade school, I had an IEP that supplied me with a mandatory tutor who'd help me organize my work. My god, I HATED it so much. I hated being told what to do, given parameters and expect to spit them back out. My point being...I have trouble conforming to others' instilled 'rules'; I will often take them waaaay too seriously, erring on the side of caution to avoid from being penalized even from a minor transgression. Is this a proper example of poorly-executed Te, i.e. the INFJ's "Trickster" archetype?

* Sensing...I feel like Se appropriately represents my Inferior "Anima" archetype, because I often wish I were more impulsive or could actually FOLLOW THROUGH with some of my creative ideas I develop. As for Si...I'm not even really sure what that IS, to be honest. I believe it's supposed to have something to do with knowing about yourself...which is something I am NOT good at. I often ask others for insight about myself and my behavior; in fact, I think my main motivation for wanting to know the cognitive functions is so that I can learn more about myself. At the same time, I'm somewhat hyperaware of my own body; if I even feel SLIGHTLY tired or off-kilter without any given reason, I'll often go "OH MY GOD I'M GETTING SICK". I guess it could work for the Devilish "Daemon" function because of how I react to it in others. For example, if can't figure out why I'm anxious in a particular situation, and my mom offers the suggestion that it might be due to a "transition/change in the environment" that I was having trouble adjusting to, I find myself having to resist the urge to STRANGLE her, because I don't like her giving me some mundane explanation for my anxiety (or--maybe even moreso--it could just be me lashing out at the fact that my mom is trying to narrow it down to my anxiety being caused by Aspergers-related sensory issues ._. It's the labeling based upon such superficial and arbitrary traits that compels me to shed the 'Aspergers' diagnosis altogether.)

So...any insights? ^^;

Korvax

I don't know if Double-posting is a faux pas on this forum, but considering I've seen a few posters in other threads get away with it without apparent retribution, I'm going to risk it here:

I think I'm pretty INFJ, probably more so than I'd like to admit due to my desire to be free-spirited...even though I'm not. ._. I need to ask you guys, though, if these are indeed signs of an INFJ?

* I like offering my opinions, but at the same time I tend to beat around the bush because I'm worried about being judged? Like...for example, I could debate about this INFx stuff for a long time with you guys, but I eventually reach a point where I'm too chicken to say something because I'm worried someone will ostracize me from the INFJ crowd.

* I don't mind non-conformity; in fact, I'm often jealous of INFPs who are more readily able to follow their quirkier bohemian lifestyles. I often WISH I could be more impulsive and non-conformist (i.e. getting a tattoo I've wanted), but I worry too much about having to navigate the social annals of having to explain to my friends and family; even if I know they would not care, I still worry in the back of my mind that they'd be concerned. It's like...I don't necessarily follow social order because I know it's THE best way for society to run itself, but rather because I'm very concerned about being ostracized for sticking my neck out too far. Or having to feed off of the negative emotions of others' disapproval of me. This is Fe, right? Or is it incognito Fi?

* This issue of Te...I'm not quite sure what the difference between 'Ti' and 'Te' is. I'm pretty sure I'm unskilled in the Te department, mainly because I have a HORRIBLE time trying to follow external organizational patterns. I'll spend HOURS reviewing the parameters of a college assignment and then apply them mercilessly to my work, and such fretting has often led me to 'give up' or procrastinate on the assignment until RIGHT before it's due. Sometimes, it's led me to not complete the assignment at all! In grade school, I had an IEP that supplied me with a mandatory tutor who'd help me organize my work. My god, I HATED it so much. I hated being told what to do, given parameters and expect to spit them back out. My point being...I have trouble conforming to others' instilled 'rules'; I will often take them waaaay too seriously, erring on the side of caution to avoid from being penalized even from a minor transgression. Is this a proper example of poorly-executed Te, i.e. the INFJ's "Trickster" archetype?

* Sensing...I feel like Se appropriately represents my Inferior "Anima" archetype, because I often wish I were more impulsive or could actually FOLLOW THROUGH with some of my creative ideas I develop. As for Si...I'm not even really sure what that IS, to be honest. I believe it's supposed to have something to do with knowing about yourself...which is something I am NOT good at. I often ask others for insight about myself and my behavior; in fact, I think my main motivation for wanting to know the cognitive functions is so that I can learn more about myself. At the same time, I'm somewhat hyperaware of my own body; if I even feel SLIGHTLY tired or off-kilter without any given reason, I'll often go "OH MY GOD I'M GETTING SICK". I guess it could work for the Devilish "Daemon" function because of how I react to it in others. For example, if can't figure out why I'm anxious in a particular situation, and my mom offers the suggestion that it might be due to a "transition/change in the environment" that I was having trouble adjusting to, I find myself having to resist the urge to STRANGLE her, because I don't like her giving me some mundane explanation for my anxiety (or--maybe even moreso--it could just be me lashing out at the fact that my mom is trying to narrow it down to my anxiety being caused by Aspergers-related sensory issues ._. It's the labeling based upon such superficial and arbitrary traits that compels me to shed the 'Aspergers' diagnosis altogether.)

So...any insights? ^^;

Maybe this won't give you a concrete answer, but I'm almost exactly like this. Once I've reached an impasse typing myself (through Ti, external Se data) I go into asking people around me to see whether or not I exemplify certain traits. I tend to withhold this around family though because I don't want to bother them (or anybody else) because they think this need to validate myself externally (Fe I presume) is 'obsessive' and 'unhealthy'. I usually want professional, hands-on help (though the insecurity in me sometimes provokes a nervous response whenever mentions something in my description that bothers me).

I am also in tune with my body, whenever I feel a slight light-headedness I always include sickness as a possibility, but I generally power through it.

When I'm with others, I actually tend to be pretty animated and funny (in a witty way) but when it comes to 'taking action' I too hesitate. Essentially impulsive/creative in discussion elements, a brick when it comes to 'doing' things that may involve risk (I headbang to myself at concerts, never join the moshpit. When my friends do I feel sort of guilty and ostracized.)

I tend to self-censor at times because I feel discussing certain topics would lead to a 'discomfort' or outright criticizing which I admittedly take very personally.

I personally tend to ignore the parameters and then go back to realize I forgot essential ones. This often causes me to put off that work.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe this won't give you a concrete answer, but I'm almost exactly like this. Once I've reached an impasse typing myself (through Ti, external Se data) I go into asking people around me to see whether or not I exemplify certain traits. I tend to withhold this around family though because I don't want to bother them (or anybody else) because they think this need to validate myself externally (Fe I presume) is 'obsessive' and 'unhealthy'.

OH my god, THIS! My parents think I'm a hypochondriac... ._.

Korvax

OH my god, THIS! My parents think I'm a hypochondriac... ._.

Yeah, I know how you feel. It only gets worse because my desire to get that info out of them runs absolutely counter to my desire to 'know' my type. It's like my decision making processes are in an island surrounded by impending tidal waves :/
That's why 'talking' therapy is so effective for me.

I'm actually unsure about my type, but I have been called both INFJ (personality nation) and INFP (here) before. ISFJ was mentioned as well.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I know how you feel. It only gets worse because my desire to get that info out of them runs absolutely counter to my desire to 'know' my type. It's like my decision making processes are in an island surrounded by impending tidal waves :/
That's why 'talking' therapy is so effective for me.

I'm actually unsure about my type, but I have been called both INFJ (personality nation) and INFP (here) before. ISFJ was mentioned as well.

Yeah, I've been referred to as both a J and P before, but I think I'm more towards the J side of things.

WhimsyGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
* I don't mind non-conformity; in fact, I'm often jealous of INFPs who are more readily able to follow their quirkier bohemian lifestyles. I often WISH I could be more impulsive and non-conformist (i.e. getting a tattoo I've wanted), but I worry too much

So...any insights? ^^;

OMG dude. what can i say to convince you to get that tattoo??:evilgenius:

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OMG dude. what can i say to convince you to get that tattoo??:evilgenius:

You just did. Or rather, I just convinced myself prior to.

I really don't believe I have to choose between INFJ and INFP anymore.

I'm neither. I'm INFx. I'm Ribonuke.

(sorry for the dramatic delivery; I'm kinda in epiphany-mode due to IRL events.)