• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 6 or 9?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=13609]Hazashin[/MENTION], you're definitely a 6, I'm just unsure about your variant (as you keep getting SX.)

VagrantFarce

But Speed, I took the official test on the Enneagram Institute's website, and this is what I got:

sinstinctualvariant.png

I think Sp and So are close enough that it could swing one way or the other (and I lean toward Sp, from what I know about myself), but it seems apparent that I am an Sx-dominant. I am just a phobic Sx-dominant 6.

Dude, forget the bloody tests - its so easy for them to be wrong. What do you think? You know yourself better than anyone. I bet if one of us met you, your type would stand out pretty easily.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But Speed, I took the official test on the Enneagram Institute's website, and this is what I got:

sinstinctualvariant.png

I think Sp and So are close enough that it could swing one way or the other (and I lean toward Sp, from what I know about myself), but it seems apparent that I am an Sx-dominant. I am just a phobic Sx-dominant 6.

Tests are shit, it's not to be taken seriously. As an INFP, you are naturally more or less an emo kid, which is often confused with being Sx, but it's not the same thing.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you considered that maybe your a 6 integrating to 9?

My partner is a 9, my mother is a 6 and my aunt is a 3. I have seen my aunt become more 6-ish since 50. She's gone through 4 divorces, 2 of which got tired of her trying to "find herself" and now she has stoped the identity fixation and become much more other people, security, 6 oriented. My mom has a terrible drinking problem and while binging, she detoriorates into unhealthy 3 becoming compulsive about comparing other peoples achievements and going on and on about being the best, having the best, etc. My 9 partner is going through a rather unhealthy bout as well and it occured to me the other day that most of his problems could be resolved if he adopted some healthy 3 focus.

In my experience, 6's and 9's have really different vibes. Are you more concerned with inner stability or outter stability?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you know if it's possible to be both easy-going/laid back and worrying at the same time? I'd say about 70% of the time, I am laid back/easy-going/"chill", and even when I am getting upset/uptight/anxious, I don't become all frantic and panicky (95% of the time), I mostly internalize it. Like, I guess you could say that when I do feel worried, it's mostly going on in my mind (though sometimes it converts to physical actions of my body if it's really bad, such as sweating, shaking, dizziness, etc.), and I mostly maintain a stable composure. Although it is often easy to tell if something is worrying me, I react calmly. I don't freak out unless I'm angry about something. If I'm feeling very afraid, it permeates throughout my body, and my heart starts to beat insanely fast. I've even almost passed out a few times (these were times when I was approaching my crush to talk to her or give her a gift).

Also, can 6s be very attentive to not upsetting people? I get DISGUSTED if I upset anyone/hurt anyone's feelings.

Am I making sense?

Would we be even having this dialogue if you were a 9?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, so I'm having doubts about my Enneatype again. It has been brought to my attention by Speed Gavroche that I do not express/act like a typical 6. I am more easy-going, low-key, and accepting than most 6s, and I seem to have an agreeable quality to me. I also dislike upsetting people (though not because I fear conflict but because I just care about my friends and people too much for them to get hurt) and I am often compliant.

On the flip side, I fear being without support or guidance, I am very loyal (especially with those who gain my trust), I am sometimes dependent, I am constantly doubting myself, I am afraid of taking action in problematic situations because of potential negative consequences, I worry a LOT, and I am sometimes a very conflicting person.

To help out, I have copied (and modified) here a list of qualities of myself that I had used in a previous thread of mine.

If you have a personality disorder, it's of the Dependent variety. You mentioned "Compliant," and the 2 is one of those types. But you're mostly listing traits of the 6w5.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you considered that maybe your a 6 integrating to 9?

Mhm...although I definitely have 6 issues (I know this thread isn't about me...soz!!), I think I'm a relatively healthy and well-balanced person and thus may seem 9-ish, in some respects at least, as a result.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If he is an 6, he's not a Sx-dom, not enough intense and reactive and power-seeker. He is a Self-pres 6: warmth and cordiality, very 9ish.

Yeah...this fits me.

One of the things that clinched self-pres 6 for me was certain descriptions which cited sp 6 as "going towards" people to "protect" themselves. Almost to defuse possible threats from other people, by being friendly and warm to them.

I think I have a very INFJ/6 combination there:

Ni generates all sorts of possibilities about how people may be viewing me or feeling about me, making me tend towards anxiety and paranoia (because I'm not a terribly self-assured INFJ - Ni generates all the possibilities and I doubt and question most of them!);

Fe makes me polite, compliant, sociable, tactful;

6 means that it's kind of a self-protective measure - trying to be at least cordial with people who may not be my friends, and establishing good relationships where possible, partly as a security measure (getting good people "on side".)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type 6 seems more likely; it seems to me that, type 6's are more likely to seek external feedback on problems and rely on others for certainty regarding things like this, espeically if they're unsure about themselves and request assistance a lot. Also, you're 9-ish tendencies seem to indicate integration. Also, sx first seems likely as well.

However it still must be you to decide what type you are. If you feel that you are 6w7 sx, then just go by that typing; the best who usually knows you the best is often yourself.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tests are shit, it's not to be taken seriously. As an INFP, you are naturally more or less an emo kid, which is often confused with being Sx, but it's not the same thing.

What is Sx then? What you say it is?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude, forget the bloody tests - its so easy for them to be wrong. What do you think? You know yourself better than anyone. I bet if one of us met you, your type would stand out pretty easily.

Based on what I know and what you have told me, I focus more of my energy towards the Sx realm, and then the Sp realm second.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you have a personality disorder, it's of the Dependent variety. You mentioned "Compliant," and the 2 is one of those types. But you're mostly listing traits of the 6w5.

I think more 6w7, honestly. Look here:

Six With a 5 Wing

Sixes with a 5 wing are generally introverted and somewhat intellectual. When healthy, they often have many realms of interest as well as surprising competencies and skills. May have an original and idiosyncratic point of view. Can be bookish; some are interested in history or feel rooted in the past or related to a long tradition. Also good at predicting the future. May test potential friends for a long time but once you're in, you're in - a friend for life.

When more entranced, they may project a willed remoteness. Have a "tip of the iceberg" quality - they show little but you sense hidden dimensions, intensity and activity. Tension between needing to be seen and withdrawing for protection. Might act arrogant or cryptic or cynical when afraid.

When phobic, can be diplomatic and say things without saying them. Entranced counterphobics are either cool and loners or argumentative, tending towards violence. Can brood over injustices to them, entertain conspiracy theories, spend time alone building cases. Paranoia in private. May like secretive behind-the-scenes group activity. Sneaky vengeance, passive/aggressive toward others, self-attacking and self-destructive at home.

Six With a 7 Wing

Sixes with a 7 wing are generally outgoing and may appear more overtly nervous. More plainly want to be liked and will pursue others in contrast to 5 wing who pulls in. Can be charming, sociable, ingratiating. Have a faster tempo, stronger connection to 3. Often self-preservation subtypes, characterized by a personal warmth. Can have a cheerful, forward-looking drive and be disarmingly funny. Self-effacing, gracious and curious.

When more entranced, may be self-contradicting and seem as if they want two things at once. Sometimes test others overtly, drive you crazy with mixed messages. It may be hard to follow what they're saying. When threatened, one defense is to become impossible to please. When counterphobic, they tend to be accusative. Some get caught up in big plans that they hope will result in material security.

Also can be insecure, irritable, petty, irrational, chaotic. Subject to mood swings, inferiority complexes, runaway fears. May have hair-trigger flare-ups of paranoia. Falsely accuse others and then seem not to realize it. Other times they plead to be taken care of. Sometimes defensively conservative in their lifestyle. Some struggle with appetite.

Also, here are some characteristics posted by some Enneagram Institute Discussion Board members from several years ago:

6w7s vacillate more, tend to be more visibly anxious (as well as more visibly expressive in general), and are more trusting of others, as well as more adventurous. They tend to look like 4w3s or 9s when phobic. 6w5s can appear more introverted, intellectual, "cold"/aloof, and abrasive. They tend to have more "edge" and may look like 5s, 4w5s, or 1s.

6w5's are more guarded, suspicious, less cheerful, less friendly, can be pretty cynical
6w7's are openly nervous, cheerful, moody, friendly and vacillate between optimism and pessimism

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13609]Hazashin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]
I don't think ALL Sx dom 6s are extremely aggressive and counter phobic. just look at Peter Parker (INFP 6w5 Sx/So)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13609]Hazashin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]
I don't think ALL Sx dom 6s are extremely aggressive and counter phobic. just look at Peter Parker (INFP 6w5 Sx/So)

Peter parker is more an INTP 5w6 Sx/So. And I disagree about his level of agressivity, he has a moral code which force them to stay pacific, but there's a lot of agressivity under that he have to master. He is a warrior and he always like a good fight, he accomplish a moral mission, but the physical act of fighting is stimulating for him. It's escpecially true in the comic, the movie version seems indeed, to picture him more like an INFJ 6w5 Sp/So wimp.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peter parker is more an INTP 5w6 Sx/So. And I disagree about his level of agressivity, he has a moral code which force them to stay pacific, but there's a lot of agressivity under that he have to master. He is a warrior and he always like a good fight, he accomplish a moral mission, but the physical act of fighting is stimulating for him. It's escpecially true in the comic, the movie version seems indeed, to picture him more like an INFJ 6w5 Sp/So wimp.

he became a warrior after the magic spider bit him [MENTION=13609]Hazashin[/MENTION] probably hasn't had that happen to him (as far as I know :laugh: )

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's weird. The descriptions of 6w7 sound much more F-friendly than those of a 6w5.
I'm curious whether it actually manifests like that within a FP, FJ individual.

6w5s tend to be analytical, cautious, guarded and more misanthropic than 6w7.

Snow Turtle

6w5s tend to be analytical, cautious, guarded and more misanthropic than 6w7.

This would be regardless of type?
Misanthropic sounds like an IFJ-IFP that has become slightly jaded with humanity. Cautious and guarded (thus analytical) seem like typical 6 traits though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misanthropic sounds like an IFJ-IFP that has become slightly jaded with humanity. Cautious and guarded (thus analytical) seem like typical 6 traits though.

the 6w7 turns outward for a sense of security, thus they tend to be friendlier and more loose. by contrast, the 6w5 does not view the world as a source of security and instead retreats to their mind and to impersonal systems for security. they tend to want to build a "fortress" so to speak and only let in those they trust. think Jason Bateman vs Ebeneezer Scrooge)

VagrantFarce

This is why I think MBTI and Enneagram don't mix well - they overlap far too much, and people end up getting a fuzzy understanding of both systems.