User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 110

Thread: Type 6 or 9?

  1. #51
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Oh, I'd definitely have to say 5. Neither 5 nor 7 were ever types I would have mistaken myself for, though. And I come from a family with at least one and probably two 5 members, so that may have had an influence too. But I don't relate to the 7 impulsiveness/unreliability at all.

    The trouble is, I don't know if that's really what provides the definitive answer. It seems like wings are a very different thing from the actual type, because they're supposed to be more of a flavour of your actual type, not necessarily a type that you would identify with on its own.
    This is definitely true.
    I'm siding more and more towards 6w7. Yet if we were to examine 5 vs 7 stand alone. I could easily tell you that I see myself more within 5 than 7.

  2. #52
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    This is definitely true.
    I'm siding more and more towards 6w7. Yet if we were to examine 5 vs 7 stand alone. I could easily tell you that I see myself more within 5 than 7.
    Yes. It depends a lot on descriptions too. I've read 6w7 descriptions that sounded so much like me, perhaps more so than a 6w5 description on the same page or in the same book. And vice versa applies as well.

    As useful as I've found a lot of things about the enneagram, it does often seem too arbitrary. It doesn't seem quite right, for instance, that one author's 6 description will fit me to a T and another author's really won't. I don't have that experience with MBTI or not to the same extent.

    For instance, I've read sp-6 descriptions which go on and on about how we do all our security-seeking from material goods; stockpiling, fretting about work and accommodation, etc. I do a bit of that - especially if those things are threatened - but I certainly don't take every security precaution, turn my home into a fortress or whatever. Then I read other sp-6 descriptions which said that sp-6s tend to create alliances and go towards others to keep safe and to defuse threats. And THAT totally struck a chord (perhaps especially because I'm INFJ). But those two concepts/descriptions seem quite unrelated, or at least not similar.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  3. #53
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Tests are shit, it's not to be taken seriously. As an INFP, you are naturally more or less an emo kid, which is often confused with being Sx, but it's not the same thing.
    As reluctant as I am to admit this, you have a point.

    I think a good marker for defining your dominant instinct is: Are you a quiet version of your type (sp); Are you an intense version of your type (sx); Are you a friendly version of your type (so). I was thinking I was sx/sp but seriously, I am intense, but not intense for fours. I'd say I'm more quiet with bouts of intensity than the opposite.

  4. #54
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Tests are shit, it's not to be taken seriously. As an INFP, you are naturally more or less an emo kid, which is often confused with being Sx, but it's not the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    As reluctant as I am to admit this, you have a point.

    I think a good marker for defining your dominant instinct is: Are you a quiet version of your type (sp); Are you an intense version of your type (sx); Are you a friendly version of your type (so). I was thinking I was sx/sp but seriously, I am intense, but not intense for fours. I'd say I'm more quiet with bouts of intensity than the opposite.
    The Sexual instinct isn't all about aggression, risk-taking, assertiveness, bluntness, boldness, and confidence. The Sexual instinct is about wanting to feel stimulation and chemistry from certain individuals, and while this often manifests with being like the previously mentioned attributes, it does not have to be. I would have some of those attributes if I were more confident with myself, but the fact of the matter is, I'm not, so I hold back from expressing myself. And just because I'm not confident, doesn't mean my primary instinct can't be Sexual, because that's the area I'm most focused on. I look for "spark" and flavor when I do things and when I'm talking/hanging out with individuals. I am more comfortable directing my focus towards certain individuals rather than focusing on myself or spreading it out evenly amongst a group of people. I also enjoy intimacy, and crave to know more and more about certain people that intrigue me (whether on a romantic/sexual level or on a friend level). I like have a small group of very close buddies that I can talk to and discuss with. However, since I am most aware of this instinct and I have low self-confidence, I am self-conscious about it and hold myself back. If you really knew me, you'd know I was intense and passionate on the inside. Outward behaviors are not the only thing that determines type!
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  5. #55
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    The Sexual instinct isn't all about aggression, risk-taking, assertiveness, bluntness, boldness, and confidence. The Sexual instinct is about wanting to feel stimulation and chemistry from certain individuals, and while this often manifests with being like the previously mentioned attributes, it does not have to be. I would have some of those attributes if I were more confident with myself, but the fact of the matter is, I'm not, so I hold back from expressing myself. And just because I'm not confident, doesn't mean my primary instinct can't be Sexual, because that's the area I'm most focused on. I look for "spark" and flavor when I do things and when I'm talking/hanging out with individuals. I am more comfortable directing my focus towards certain individuals rather than focusing on myself or spreading it out evenly amongst a group of people. I also enjoy intimacy, and crave to know more and more about certain people that intrigue me (whether on a romantic/sexual level or on a friend level). I like have a small group of very close buddies that I can talk to and discuss with. However, since I am most aware of this instinct and I have low self-confidence, I am self-conscious about it and hold myself back. If you really knew me, you'd know I was intense and passionate on the inside. Outward behaviors are not the only thing that determines type!

    I wasn't saying you aren't sx/sp; how would I know? I don't know you. I was just saying that 1, INFPs tend to be emotional feelers, and it tends to be turned inward, so yes, there is hidden intensity. This can be confused for being sx/sp, but there are plenty of INFPs who aren't sx/sp. So how do you disengage the two?

    I was pretty certain I was an sx/sp because there's plenty I relate to in the general sx description, I got sx/sp on that test I referred you to. However, in the writing below the test results it recommended that you read the sexual instinct description for your specific type and see if it fits you accurately. There were aspects I related to, yes, but overall it seemed way more intense than me. I don't get super jealous and vindictive like it said I was supposed to at the average levels. I'm only like this when I'm extremely unhealthy. Not only that, but the unhealthy levels of the self-preservation four description could seem kind of sexual variant-ish- engaging in risky affairs, putting yourself in dangerous situations, etc. And this I very much recognize in myself when unhealthy.

    I think what can be confusing as an INFP is that the descriptions for self-preservation veer toward very sensing-oriented practicalities- paying the bills, keeping the house clean and orderly, etc. I kind of stink at this stuff. However, I very much value my alone time, I value my self-sufficiency (I rarely ask for help, I feel a need to figure things out myself, do things on my own). I am affected by my environment and I like being in situations where I feel comfortable. I like intensity to an extent, and I am intense to an extent, but when it begins to seriously endanger my well-being, I rein it in. My sexual instinct is strong, but not as strong as my self preservation instinct.

  6. #56
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I wasn't saying you aren't sx/sp; how would I know? I don't know you. I was just saying that 1, INFPs tend to be emotional feelers, and it tends to be turned inward, so yes, there is hidden intensity. This can be confused for being sx/sp, but there are plenty of INFPs who aren't sx/sp. So how do you disengage the two?

    I was pretty certain I was an sx/sp because there's plenty I relate to in the general sx description, I got sx/sp on that test I referred you to. However, in the writing below the test results it recommended that you read the sexual instinct description for your specific type and see if it fits you accurately. There were aspects I related to, yes, but overall it seemed way more intense than me. I don't get super jealous and vindictive like it said I was supposed to at the average levels. I'm only like this when I'm extremely unhealthy. Not only that, but the unhealthy levels of the self-preservation four description could seem kind of sexual variant-ish- engaging in risky affairs, putting yourself in dangerous situations, etc. And this I very much recognize in myself when unhealthy.
    Hmm... well, I think jealousy and desire for vindication are unhealthy traits, so that could skew things a bit. I also fail to see how one must be very dare-develish, risk-taking, aggressive, etc. to be an Sx-dom. If anything, that indicates Sp last (more likely Sx/So than So/Sx, though).

    [...] However, I very much value my alone time, I value my self-sufficiency (I rarely ask for help, I feel a need to figure things out myself, do things on my own). I am affected by my environment and I like being in situations where I feel comfortable. I like intensity to an extent, and I am intense to an extent, but when it begins to seriously endanger my well-being, I rein it in. My sexual instinct is strong, but not as strong as my self preservation instinct.
    Now see, I don't relate with the bolded. I do, however, relate with being in situations where I feel comfortable (although one could say that "being comfortable" is vague, because it could mean that you are comfortable with being in situations that are not seen as comfortable as Sp-doms, such as being a large crowd, doing dangerous/thrilling things, etc.). Also, some stuff that seems Sx-ish, such as physical rushes, don't do much for me (or at least most of them), as I am an N. That could also skew things a bit.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  7. #57
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    An INFP 6 would probably manifest differently and maybe have more E9 traits because of their general personality. A lot of what I'm reading that you describe as 9 sounds like INFP. If you don't feel that "internal radar" thing, then you most likely are an E9. That is such a 6 thing and should resonate strongly if you are one. Whether Phobic or Counterphobic.

    Remember E9 is growth for an E6. If you are a matured, psychologically healthy E6 you will have more of a peaceful vibe to yourself.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  8. #58
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    The Sexual instinct isn't all about aggression, risk-taking, assertiveness, bluntness, boldness, and confidence.
    Every sources say the contrary.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Every sources say the contrary.
    Not mine. The keyword to the sexual instinct seems to be intensity, and from there each enneagram type can find it in some way or another. What Hazashin is describing is closer to the Eight type, and this list just isn't compatible with some (if not most) types. Sixes lack self-confidence. Nines aren't assertive. Fours and fives aren't risk-taking - on the contrary, they escape reality through their minds.
    How you'd naturally act and think is defined by your instinct; how you actually act and think is defined by your enneagram type. This is how I believe it works. As for Sx, I'd say it's main feature is to be deeply focused on whatever sparks your interest, and completely ignore what does not.

    About the original topic, I can see bits of Four, Five, Six and Nine... Do you daydream much? This would lead us to a withdrawn type (4, 5 or 9). If you're constantly feeling too anxious to daydream, then you're a 6. Actually 6 is a "compliant" type, which matches your description of easy-going. Indecision and lack of self-confidence also matches 6 very well. The wing would probably be 5, however. I don't see much of 7 in you.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Every sources say the contrary.
    http://ocean-moonshine.net/e14285736...position=55:55

    "The sexual instinct focuses on attraction and excitement, or, what, apart from the self, seems to promise to expand and intensify life. The life of the self is found in the life of the other. As its name would indicate, individuals who are dominated by the sexual instinct are concerned with sexual fulfillment in the obvious sense of that term, but sexual subtypes are seldom interested in sex merely as a physical act. In fact, a belief that sex is just another physical drive for physical pleasure is a pretty good sign that an individual is not a sexual subtype. Sexual subtypes generally have romantic longings for the ideal partner and hence have high expectations and ideals. By extension, the sexual instinct can manifest in a desire for intensity of many different sorts, but the primary manifestation will generally be a concern with finding the ideal partner, as the sexual subtypes tend to feel somehow incomplete or unfinished without a relationship to ground them.

    "On the high side, sexual subtypes often bring a certain passion and experimentalism to their lives; they are generally willing to take risks in order to attain their ideals. Sexual subtypes are also usually willing to sacrifice for those who matter most to them; they have an expanded sense of what constitutes the self and tend to merge with those they love. On the down side however, sexual subtypes tend to struggle with issues of neediness and dependency, as they tend to feel that they need relationships in order to reclaim lost or inaccessible portions of the self. In addition, the merging tendency, when taken to extremes, can lead to an inability to protect important boundaries. And the desire for intensity of experience can lead sexual subtypes to take unnecessary risks, to be somewhat impatient and to grow bored or frustrated with mundane reality. When the overall personality is unbalanced, thrill seeking or self-medication sometimes enter the picture, and can lead to various forms of addiction.

    "When the sexual instinct is least developed, the personality can lack a certain charisma and momentum. Such personalities often do not form truly intimate relationships, as they don’t feel driven to do so; consequently, their personal relationships can suffer from a lack of attention. As there are aspects of ourselves which we can only see when in close relationship to others, those whose sexual instinct remains undeveloped might find it difficult to cultivate some forms of self-awareness."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Are You Personality Type A or B?
    By NewEra in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
  2. Socionics type: EII or LII
    By Athenian200 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM
  3. MBTI type strengths or interests?
    By magil in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
  4. [ENTJ] ENTJ/other types - difference or mystique?
    By LeonardoLestat in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 03:07 PM
  5. My Twin Sister's Type: INFJ or INFP?
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO