• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My functions are all backwards!! Help?

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFP. I lead with Ne almost all the time and use Fi to back it up. However, I know I use a lot of Si and negative Te. So my functions seem to be Ne>Fi>Si>Te. It's like I'm definitely an extrovert and an Ne user but I'm also very introspective. I remember very specific details of my childhood. I've been known to use negative Si very often and I also often use Te in arguments (I don't like being wrong when I'm angry at someone).

I just wanted to get this out of the way before I've been here for a while and change randomly into an INFP. I don't think I'm an INFP (and I don't really want to be, I thought I was for a while but things just didn't add up).

So I'm just going to throw out random facts about myself and see if I can get some feedback as to whatever type I am

-I am a very nostalgic person. I remember childhood very vividly and could watch Disney movies all day. Si?
-When I'm in an argument, I often look up facts to back up my side of the story. Even the smallest detail that could be bent to my argument will be used, even if I sort of know I'm wrong.
-I get bored when I'm by myself. That's what made me think I'm an extrovert. While I like my alone time, I prefer to always have something to read or do with my hands or sing... anything that can entertain me, really. I love talking to new people but I hate groups because I never get to say anything and I'm socially awkward. I always feel energized after a good discussion! I'm like a puppy, I get destructive when left alone too long, I start to wallow in Fi and blame myself for things gone wrong.
-I'm always kicking myself for stupid things I did as long as 17 years ago!! I regret it or am embarrassed by it or wonder if the person who was there still remembers (and hope they don't). I'm pretty sure this is negative Si.
-When stressed or angry, I get harsh and critical.
-I get most stressed when dealing with detail oriented tasks or angry people or bland and boring facts.
-I wouldn't be brave enough to do something completely wild and ridiculous on my own but I have no problem with insanity when I'm around friends. I always say that if I can get 1 or 2 friends to do whatever I'm considering with me, I'll do it.
-I hate being practical. It's boring. I also hate being bored. I hate being bored more than I hate being angry or sad.
-I'm not really a thrill seeker but I thirst for adventure. I want to travel the world and learn all about it!!
-I love performing and showing my work to other people!! I always need people to tell me what I'm doing is good to feel proud of it!! I make lots of films and I am my own harshest critic. But I get this feeling of accomplishment when someone tells me what I did is good.
-I tend to remember things as being worse than they actually are.
-I find it hard to articulate things but I can write things a lot better.
-I need to talk to myself constantly to stay on track. I even say what I'm typing to myself while I'm typing it.
-I learn best my listening and visualizing things but not so much by internalizing and thinking about it. If I did that, I would forget it in an instant.
-I'm not extremely smart but I'm very good at things most people aren't, like film editing or acting.
-I always have my own personal style. Take here for example. I like to type in purple and Comic Sans. Why? Because it makes me feel good!

Okay and I'm going to go on and find INFP and ENFP descriptions and say how each fits me to give you more ideas (I'm taking this off personalitypage.com).

INFP (in magenta so it's easier to keep track of):
-"When it comes to the mundane details of life maintenance, INFPs are typically completely unaware of such things. They might go for long periods without noticing a stain on the carpet, but carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off of their project booklet." I definitely do this!!
-"They don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgment, which makes them naturally rather ineffective at using it." Yeah, I find impersonal judgement to be annoying and sometimes even offensive BUT I can appreciate it when it's applied right and takes feelings into account, like when compromising.
-"They may be awkward and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper." Oh my, yes, this is definitely true of me.
-"Original and individualistic - "out of the mainstream" I just said that I like to be different, that's very true of me.
-They also say INFPs are good at foreign language and make good counselors or teachers. I definitely don't want to do either one and I really hated learning foreign languages in school!!

And now for ENFP (in blue this time!!):
-"An ENFP needs to focus on following through with their projects. This can be a problem area for some of these individuals. Unlike other Extraverted types, ENFPs need time alone to center themselves, and make sure they are moving in a direction which is in sync with their values. ENFPs who remain centered will usually be quite successful at their endeavors. Others may fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility, and thus they never achieve the great accomplishments which they are capable of achieving." THIS is me in a nutshell. I do all of this!!
-"They are genuinely warm and interested in people, and place great importance on their inter-personal relationships. ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked." YES!! Even as a kid, this was 100% me!! I place a LOT of importance on my friends and relationships with people I love!!
-"Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery. They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves. This is a challenging area of life for most ENFPs, and can be frustrating for ENFP's family members." My mom is an ISFJ who just HAD to give me lists of chores to do before I could go out with my friends and this bothered me SO much!! Also, I was terrible at math. Too many details.
-"ENFPs are basically happy people. They may become unhappy when they are confined to strict schedules or mundane tasks. Consequently, ENFPs work best in situations where they have a lot of flexibility, and where they can work with people and ideas. Many go into business for themselves. They have the ability to be quite productive with little supervision, as long as they are excited about what they're doing." I was not a happy child because I had no freedom or flexibility with my parents. It was rigid and rule centric and this kept me constantly frustrated. Given freedom and flexibility, I was happy as can be!! I also work very well on my own as long as I'm excited about the project!!
-"Fun to be with - lively sense of humor, dramatic, energetic, optimistic" Just... yes. I can't handle anyone who isn't all of these things. I actually try very hard to be realistic but my optimism sort of sneaks in unexpectedly.

Any thoughts? Am I right in typing myself as a somewhat unusual ENFP (because ENFP really fits for me except for the Si/Te thing) or am I just an ENFP wannabe who's actually INFP?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definitely ENFP. And probably 7w6 for enneagram.

Also, welcome to the forums :hi: And may I come and live in you fantasy land where everyone is nice and chocolate is good for you? :D

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"They are genuinely warm and interested in people, and place great importance on their inter-personal relationships. ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked."

YES!! Even as a kid, this was 100% me!! I place a LOT of importance on my friends and relationships with people I love!!

I am like this too, you know. I think a good bit of these characteristics of ENFPs and INFPs are interchangeable.

""Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery. They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves. This is a challenging area of life for most ENFPs, and can be frustrating for ENFP's family members."

My mom is an ISFJ who just HAD to give me lists of chores to do before I could go out with my friends and this bothered me SO much!!

""ENFPs are basically happy people. They may become unhappy when they are confined to strict schedules or mundane tasks. Consequently, ENFPs work best in situations where they have a lot of flexibility, and where they can work with people and ideas. Many go into business for themselves. They have the ability to be quite productive with little supervision, as long as they are excited about what they're doing."

I was not a happy child because I had no freedom or flexibility with my parents. It was rigid and rule centric and this kept me constantly frustrated. Given freedom and flexibility, I was happy as can be!! I also work very well on my own as long as I'm excited about the project!!

Oh, yes, I'm definitely like this too. Although I did not grow up with a mom for most of my life (except when I was younger living with my step mom), I have an ESTJ 6w5 So/Sp dad that is so rigid like that. I would ask stuff like, "But why?" and give an explanation (if he didn't pop me by then), and he was stuck on "how things should be" and the "proper" way to do things. He was one of those parents who thinks that being productive (even as a kid) is a top priority. He always resented the fact that I had a lackadaisical attitude towards his authority and doing work -- or "stuff I'm supposed to do," as he called it. Sooo freaking annoying. But, like I said before, this can also apply to INFPs.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Definitely ENFP. And probably 7w6 for enneagram.

Also, welcome to the forums :hi: And may I come and live in you fantasy land where everyone is nice and chocolate is good for you? :D

I generally tell people I'm both INFP and ENFP because I've been known to draw energy from both extroverted and introverted activities. But I'd rather be an ENFP. They seem like more fun!! Of course I'm pretty sure INFPs are awesome when they're out of their shell. And I'm pretty good at getting them out of that shell as my 2 best friends are an INFP and an INFJ. And I did some researched, you pegged me perfectly as 7w6. Though I'm a bit more focused than most Sevens, I'm extremely good at what I enjoy but don't pick up new skills fast. And yes, of course you can join me!! My fantasy land is all inclusive!!

SilentNight

ENFP's are called the introverted extroverts, so it's pretty common this behavior in this type. As I've seen, it's the type more likely to display an "ambivert" behavior.
You sound very much like an ENFP.

Last edited:

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP are called the introverted extroverts, so it's pretty common this behavior in this type. As I've seen, it's the type more likely to display an "ambivert" behavior.
You sound very much like an ENFP.

Contrarily, INFPs are often the most introverted types of them all. :yes:

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yep, I'm definitely an ambivert. Now to awkwardly break the news that I'm not, in fact, an INFP to my family. They won't care though, they're all SJs except my youngest brother who's an SP. I bet a lot of ENFPs are mistyped. Also, if that's the case, my INFP friend is, in fact, an ENFP because we're so alike it's actually kind of scary.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep, I'm definitely an ambivert. Now to awkwardly break the news that I'm not, in fact, an INFP to my family. They won't care though, they're all SJs except my youngest brother who's an SP. I bet a lot of ENFPs are mistyped. Also, if that's the case, my INFP friend is, in fact, an ENFP because we're so alike it's actually kind of scary.

Not all INFPs are extremely introverted, they just tend to be more introverted (like myself).

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm starting to think some NFPs are both INFPs and ENFPs. Not all, of course, but I've met one or two who are right in the middle...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I generally tell people I'm both INFP and ENFP because I've been known to draw energy from both extroverted and introverted activities. But I'd rather be an ENFP. They seem like more fun!! Of course I'm pretty sure INFPs are awesome when they're out of their shell. And I'm pretty good at getting them out of that shell as my 2 best friends are an INFP and an INFJ. And I did some researched, you pegged me perfectly as 7w6. Though I'm a bit more focused than most Sevens, I'm extremely good at what I enjoy but don't pick up new skills fast. And yes, of course you can join me!! My fantasy land is all inclusive!!

It's a common agreement among all on the type forums that ENFP's tend to be the most introvert extroverts ;) Of course I usually see the split between introversion and extroversion under the Jung Cognitive Functions not as a literal introvert/extrovert split but rather a inner-focused/outer-focused dichotomy; that an introvert function is simply one of subjectivity in ones own psyche (internal) and that an extrovert function is simply one of objectivity in the outer world (external); under that definition, the commonly understood convention of introvert/extrovert doesn't necessarily apply. But from what you posted, Ne was all over the place (and Si seemed underdeveloped) :yes:

Also, yaaaaay! *dances around fantasy land* :banana:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm starting to think some NFPs are both INFPs and ENFPs. Not all, of course, but I've met one or two who are right in the middle...

The middle isnt about the degree of extraversion, but about function order, which makes it impossible to be truly in the middle, but just so close that you cant determine which side you are without much knowledge about typology and self. Some people might have so well developed aux that it seems almost as if it was dominant at times, but its just that one dominates, but its not just obvious which one is it. In those cases its good to look at tert/inferior functions and maybe look at what the person was like bit younger.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's a common agreement among all on the type forums that ENFP's tend to be the most introvert extroverts ;) Of course I usually see the split between introversion and extroversion under the Jung Cognitive Functions not as a literal introvert/extrovert split but rather a inner-focused/outer-focused dichotomy; that an introvert function is simply one of subjectivity in ones own psyche (internal) and that an extrovert function is simply one of objectivity in the outer world (external); under that definition, the commonly understood convention of introvert/extrovert doesn't necessarily apply. But from what you posted, Ne was all over the place (and Si seemed underdeveloped) :yes:

Also, yaaaaay! *dances around fantasy land* :banana:

Oh now you've piqued my curiosity. Where do you see Ne and underdeveloped Si?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh now you've piqued my curiosity. Where do you see Ne and underdeveloped Si?

I shall go through your op list and specify:

-I am a very nostalgic person. I remember childhood very vividly and could watch Disney movies all day. Si?

Actually, this seems like fairly good Si :thinking:

-When I'm in an argument, I often look up facts to back up my side of the story. Even the smallest detail that could be bent to my argument will be used, even if I sort of know I'm wrong.

Tertiary Te; research like a boss for an argument, even if you may not be 100% right.

-I get bored when I'm by myself. That's what made me think I'm an extrovert. While I like my alone time, I prefer to always have something to read or do with my hands or sing... anything that can entertain me, really. I love talking to new people but I hate groups because I never get to say anything and I'm socially awkward. I always feel energized after a good discussion! I'm like a puppy, I get destructive when left alone too long, I start to wallow in Fi and blame myself for things gone wrong.

Holy crap Ne. Strong desire for curiosity and desire to embrace some sort of mental stimulation.

-I'm always kicking myself for stupid things I did as long as 17 years ago!! I regret it or am embarrassed by it or wonder if the person who was there still remembers (and hope they don't). I'm pretty sure this is negative Si.

Seems like either tertiary or inferior Si.

-When stressed or angry, I get harsh and critical.

Seems like tert Te.

-I get most stressed when dealing with detail oriented tasks or angry people or bland and boring facts.

NFP; dislike of Te+Si mean people.

-I wouldn't be brave enough to do something completely wild and ridiculous on my own but I have no problem with insanity when I'm around friends. I always say that if I can get 1 or 2 friends to do whatever I'm considering with me, I'll do it.

Seems like Ne dom, although could be Se dom; indication of some sort of Pe function.

-I hate being practical. It's boring. I also hate being bored. I hate being bored more than I hate being angry or sad.

Ne > Fi > Si

-I'm not really a thrill seeker but I thirst for adventure. I want to travel the world and learn all about it!!

Ne

-I love performing and showing my work to other people!! I always need people to tell me what I'm doing is good to feel proud of it!! I make lots of films and I am my own harshest critic. But I get this feeling of accomplishment when someone tells me what I did is good.

Uhhhhh seems like Ne I guess; showing your ideas and stuff to other for feedback.

-I tend to remember things as being worse than they actually are.

Inferior Si.

-I find it hard to articulate things but I can write things a lot better.

Fi? Not sue.

-I need to talk to myself constantly to stay on track. I even say what I'm typing to myself while I'm typing it.

lol sound like Ne to me.

-I learn best my listening and visualizing things but not so much by internalizing and thinking about it. If I did that, I would forget it in an instant.

Some sort of N function without Ti?

-I'm not extremely smart but I'm very good at things most people aren't, like film editing or acting.

. . . . . Se?

[/QUOTE]-I always have my own personal style. Take here for example. I like to type in purple and Comic Sans. Why? Because it makes me feel good![/QUOTE]

Desire for novel and personal way of doing things; Ne + Fi.

And as for the INFP and ENFP facts:

"They don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgment, which makes them naturally rather ineffective at using it." Yeah, I find impersonal judgement to be annoying and sometimes even offensive BUT I can appreciate it when it's applied right and takes feelings into account, like when compromising.

This is an indication of decent Te use; tertiary level.

And everything listed in the ENFP section confirmed Ne dom/ENFP.

Hope that helps :)

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Savage Idealist, you're amazing!! Thank you so much, that clears up a lot. I think my functions are Ne>Fi>Si>Te. I guess that still makes me an ENFP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not about function order, beyond the first two. The others are basically reflections of the first two, which compensate for the preference. If you're dom. Ne, then Si is assumed to be inferior. Aux Fi is not as differentiated as Ne, so then tertiary Te is not going to be as suppressed as Si.

I don't know how old you are, but if in 30's or later, you might simply be becoming more conscious of your inferior. Si in a tertiary or inferior position is going to be very nostalgic. (Where in a dom or aux position, it will be more serious about "factual" knowledge; hence the typical SJ "Guardian" profile). So for INP's, Si nostalgia will be more pronounced, but in an ENP for whom the inferior is developing, it will also manifest that way.

In Linda Berens' description of inferior Si (Understanding Yourself And Others):

"While they may not want to participate in traditions or other customary activities for the sameness of them, they often have a sense of nostalgia for how things were before, often with romantic notions. Similarly, they often desire some future life that is set, with conventional trappings, yet are drawn to novelty.
They can have a rich memory for detail—not noticing the details in the moment but being able to recall them later with specificity that surprises others.
Their recollections can seem incredibly real and convincing, even when highly inaccurate or fanciful."

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
But that means my opposite is definitely an ESTJ still!!! I figured as much, my dad's an ISTJ and my granddad's an ESTJ and I can't really hold a conversation with my granddad but my dad and I have a lot in common.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a common agreement among all on the type forums that ENFP's tend to be the most introvert extroverts ;)

And ISTJ tends to be the most extraverted introvert. They are also more sociable than the ESTJ for whom work comes before socializing.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But that means my opposite is definitely an ESTJ still!!! I figured as much, my dad's an ISTJ and my granddad's an ESTJ and I can't really hold a conversation with my granddad but my dad and I have a lot in common.

That certainly is possible :yes: although it may not be so much their respective types, just that your dad is the better conversationist ;)

And ISTJ tends to be the most extraverted introvert. They are also more sociable than the ESTJ for whom work comes before socializing.

Agreed. :yes: