User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 18 of 18

  1. #11
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,045

    Default

    5w6, but the only thing I'm basing that on is that your style of humor is a lot like mine, and the last time I took that test, I came out 5w6, although I've gotten 4 before.

    I think 5w6 makes more sense for me because I feel like I already know who I am, and I don't really need to find that. I'd rather find a place for me, rather than find myself. My whole motivation for getting in to typology is not really to feel more special, but less special, if that makes sense. I think my 6 wing takes on a more counterphobic character, though, which is why I bitch about hipsters and groupthink all the time.

    I also don't think I'm any less emotional than the 5w4s. If I seem that way, I'm not sure if it's related to the 6 thing, but more because I think claiming to be above emotions is a fool's errand. I'd rather map them out and know how they affect me. If somehow being knowledgable about my emotions and emotional matters makes me an INFJ all of a sudden, BFD. I'd rather learn how to tame and train that beast, if possible, rather than letting them rule me, which is definitely what happens when they are ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by regarding 5w4s
    As they become more impractical and fearful about their possibilities in life, one typical solution is to find emotional solace in various forms of self-indulgence--in alcohol, drugs, or sexual escapades.
    I don't do this. I'm not totally straight edge, but I don't like getting too drunk. I don't actually like drinking more than one or maybe two drinks. I also want more stability and romance. I'm hesitant, although not closed off entirely, about sexual escapades that don't include those two things.

    Also, I like having structure imposed sometimes. I think there's almost always some kind of structure or rules in place, but I'd rather people be open about them so I don't have to worry about whether I'm breaking them or not. I find acknowledging the necessity of structure to be more liberating than pretending structure does not exist or is not necessary.

    So, yes, if I'm being honest, I do have a lot of w6 security-seeking tendencies.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  2. #12
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    I've always seen the 5w6 INTP being much closer to the archetypal definition of an INTP; Much more of a distinct dominance of Ti being present in relation to Ne, and more driven towards academia and the sciences. Also, a lot of the conflicting detachment/emotional expression aspects of the 5w4 wing had made me question whether or not I was an extrovert, which I definitely know I'm not.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

  3. #13
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I've always seen the 5w6 INTP being much closer to the archetypal definition of an INTP; Much more of a distinct dominance of Ti being present in relation to Ne, and more driven towards academia and the sciences. Also, a lot of the conflicting detachment/emotional expression aspects of the 5w4 wing had made me question whether or not I was an extrovert, which I definitely know I'm not.
    Very true. 5w6 seem totally different to me.

    I've questioned this about myself. Made me wonder if I was a negative/dark Ne-dom. The conflict between detachment and emotional expression is...I really don't have any words for it.

    Oh and I see 5w4 flavor.

  4. #14
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Generally more creative than the 5w6s I've seen here, with a possible exception of @Lexicon. Even when you're serious, your actions aren't as outwardly formulaic. The article you mentioned made a point out of the fact that 5w4s tend to come off as more social; I believe this is because they possess an eccentric flair that indicates the knowledge of human nature they've devised by studying themselves and others. There's an internally felt need to exercise their social behaviors that inevitably causes them to take more initiative than the responsive 5w6. I think there's a creative side to you that comes out when the intensity of your emotions has been diffused by your intellect, but when you lose sight of those emotions, bite the bullet and focus on serious issues, the dynamic is reversed and you become temperamental. In that position, I don't think a 5w6 would become as incendiary; they seem to reach their breaking point much later because they don't have as many buttons that can be pushed. Part of the 5w6 scheme seems to also be a double dose of staving off unpleasant emotions from both outside sources and inside sources, so even if they did have just as many buttons to push, the chances of pushing them to the edge are lower.

    Do you think any of this applies? I tend to experience uncertainty when interacting with INTPs and 5s; there are a few exceptions but they tend to come off as far more formal and reserved. I feel like I've walked into someone's business conference wearing Chuck Taylor's when I speak with them.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Generally more creative than the 5w6s I've seen here, with a possible exception of @Lexicon. Even when you're serious, your actions aren't as outwardly formulaic. The article you mentioned made a point out of the fact that 5w4s tend to come off as more social; I believe this is because they possess an eccentric flair that indicates the knowledge of human nature they've devised by studying themselves and others. There's an internally felt need to exercise their social behaviors that inevitably causes them to take more initiative than the responsive 5w6. I think there's a creative side to you that comes out when the intensity of your emotions has been diffused by your intellect, but when you lose sight of those emotions, bite the bullet and focus on serious issues, the dynamic is reversed and you become temperamental. In that position, I don't think a 5w6 would become as incendiary; they seem to reach their breaking point much later because they don't have as many buttons that can be pushed. Part of the 5w6 scheme seems to also be a double dose of staving off unpleasant emotions from both outside sources and inside sources, so even if they did have just as many buttons to push, the chances of pushing them to the edge are lower.
    I guess my first question is whether you're comparing me as a 5w4 to 5w6s, or do you see me as a 5w6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think there's a creative side to you that comes out when the intensity of your emotions has been diffused by your intellect, but when you lose sight of those emotions, bite the bullet and focus on serious issues, the dynamic is reversed and you become temperamental.
    I found this particularly interesting. Through introspection, I find myself in a paradigm where, in debate, I'm not consciously aware that I'm reacting emotionally because I've conflated my emotions with logic in such a way that I've begun to intellectualize/rationalize my responses (i.e. I don't like to acknowledge how something makes me feel per-say, yet first and foremost I seek to find logical reasons and responses that are in congruence with and validate the rationality of said feelings). Yet at other times I feel completely torn between the two (instances in which I feel one way, yet I reject said feeling because I put greater credence in the logical aspects at odds with my own feelings)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Do you think any of this applies? I tend to experience uncertainty when interacting with INTPs and 5s; there are a few exceptions but they tend to come off as far more formal and reserved. I feel like I've walked into someone's business conference wearing Chuck Taylor's when I speak with them.
    Parts of it, yes. As far as formal and reserved, I'm not entirely sure that really resonates with me, or at least I'm not consciously aware of coming off that way. Personally, I absolutely hate formality, yet I think formality comes natural as an element of impersonalization.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

  6. #16
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Need....animal...crackers....now...
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  7. #17
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I guess my first question is whether you're comparing me as a 5w4 to 5w6s, or do you see me as a 5w6?
    I'm contrasting you with 5w6. I see you as a 5w4.


    I found this particularly interesting. Through introspection, I find myself in a paradigm where, in debate, I'm not consciously aware that I'm reacting emotionally because I've conflated my emotions with logic in such a way that I've begun to intellectualize/rationalize my responses (i.e. I don't like to acknowledge how something makes me feel per-say, yet first and foremost I seek to find logical reasons and responses that are in congruence with and validate the rationality of said feelings). Yet at other times I feel completely torn between the two (instances in which I feel one way, yet I reject said feeling because I put greater credence in the logical aspects at odds with my own feelings)
    Exactly. In some ways, I see E5 as perhaps even more emotional than E4s, which demands that they differentiate their emotions from everything else and compartmentalize life before they become erratic. Or perhaps, they are just as emotional, but there's a mechanic that ultimately grounds them elsewhere. Obviously they're part of the head triad, but because they're withdrawn, and because inductive reasoning is their primary outlet for understanding things, the boogeyman of irrationality lurks right there, under the bed. The whole function just seems extremely compressed.




    Parts of it, yes. As far as formal and reserved, I'm not entirely sure that really resonates with me, or at least I'm not consciously aware of coming off that way. Personally, I absolutely hate formality, yet I think formality comes natural as an element of impersonalization.
    You and 93JC both strike me as exceptions to this rule of being excessively formal.

  8. #18
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I've always seen the 5w6 INTP being much closer to the archetypal definition of an INTP; Much more of a distinct dominance of Ti being present in relation to Ne, and more driven towards academia and the sciences. Also, a lot of the conflicting detachment/emotional expression aspects of the 5w4 wing had made me question whether or not I was an extrovert, which I definitely know I'm not.
    Interesting... the association of 5w6 with a strong use of Ti. I can see a connection between being security-seeking and having neatly ordered thoughts and opinions very easily.

    By detachment/emotional expression, do you mean that your detachment allows you to engage in "extroverted" behaviors more?

    I also wonder if I had more 5w4 tendencies in my early twenties. At some point, I may have made a shift from 4 priorities to 6 priorities. Some of the "unhappy 5w4" stuff sounds familiar.

    As for the formal thing, I can certainly see where that comes from, and why people think that's chilly. And yet, I like expressing myself that way some how. It seems like more work for me to be informal than formal. I do think people mistake the formality for pretentiousness, but honestly, it's just kind of the way I express myself, and I did this even when I was young. I would also say that in person, I tend to soften edges of the formality more, and even will engage in deliberately bizarre behavior. It seems to help people relax when they realize that I don't take myself as seriously as it might seem.

    (I'm excluding dating, because that's something else entirely. There's a lot of powerful clumsy childish extraverted feeling mucking things up. )
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of F am I?
    By thoughtlost in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM
  2. SneakyNinja: What Type of EP am I?
    By SneakyNinja in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 01:32 AM
  3. What flavor enneagram crackhead am I 2?
    By phobik in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
  4. What type-the heck-AM I??
    By aeonzone in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM
  5. What flavor ice cream are you?
    By labyrinthine in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO