• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any help is appreciated

I am

• INTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • ISFP

• another type

• Total voters

fairwinds

MBTI Type
INFP
When trying to nail down my type, the more I read, the more confused I become, so I decided I could use some help with this. I'm not sure what information to give, so I'm just going to fill out one of those questionnaires I've seen in other people's threads. Please focus on content and on not writing style or grammar failure, as I am not a native speaker of English. I'm mostly interested in knowing my MBTI type but if you have a good grasp of Enneagram, you're welcome to have a guess at that as well :)

Soooo...
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I tried two ways of nailing down my type: online tests and reading. The problem with online tests is that one quickly learns which dichotomy or function certain questions are about, and once you've figured out the test, how can the result be accurate? The problem with reading is that I read one type's describtion and think 'Wow, this is so me!', but then I read another and I relate to 95% as well. Also some types, especially the Sensors, seem to have a bad reputation, making me afraid I'm only biased when I identify as an iNtuive.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn for a constantly better understanding of myself and the world, success in the areas which are important to me, and recognition from those whose recognition matters to me. I want to live my life the way I believe is right and not conform to society's expectations too much.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel good about myself every time I get an honest compliment or a good grade in a subject I care about without putting any real study effort into it. For example I'm proud because I never systematically learned vocabulary for English but still know a lot simply because I read English books for pleasure.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Feeling akward in social situations, experiencing trouble expressing myself verbally when talking more but not when writing, being one of very few student from a working class family in a private school. When people of less potential do better because they have a work ethic. Do I sound like an arrogant bitch already?

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I think about pros and cons a lot but don't always act according to what would make most logical sense. Sometimes I just do whatever feels right at a certain moment in time, ignoring the consequences, often ending up regretting it later.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Of course I like to have control of the outcome! When working in groups though, I will sometimes shut my mouth when I feel my input is not appreciated or no one really listens to me.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Watching the extended versions of Lord of the Rings movies with a friend on New Year's Eve while everyone else was out partying is the first thing that comes to mind. While this would sound like a horrible way to spend New Year's Eve to most people I imagine, I didn't feel like I miss out on anything but was happy to share one of my slightly geeky interests with somebody. But most of the time I don't go for fun but for peace of mind. I feel good just wandering through nature and thinking about stuff.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Most of the learning I do is for school, and it only feels natural when I'm actually interest in a topic. Then I will do some extra reading that isn't required, otherwise I will probably just do some last minute studying the night before the exam. It also helps when I feel my effort will be recognized by the teacher.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
The only things I organize are my books, my music collection, and the bookmarks in my web browser.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I'm not sure if I understand the question. Both, I suppose?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Ideally, I'd rather stick to my values, but in reality I dislike trying to force them upon others because more often than not this is an impossible task.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I prefer one-on-one communication but sometimes a heated debate is nice for a change. Although I try to think before I speak, I often regret what I've said when I think of something better to say after a conversation.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I want to know what I'm getting into. When there is a discrepancy between a person's words and actions, action speaks louder for sure.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
If they want to go clubbing or something, they wouldn't even think of calling me. If they want to go see a movie or a band, I might go. It really depends on what your idea of a night out is.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I become openly aggressive around my family and sort of passive-agressive around others.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Lots of talking without having something to say, willful ignorance - symptoms of stupidity I guess. People who need to be the center of attention always.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I like to talk about my interests like everybody else does I guess - music I love, series I watch, books I've read and enjoyed. But what makes somebody interesting to me is when they can explain new things to me I find fascinating. I don't like talking about myself.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
The state my room is into, how bad my relationship with my siblings is.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They would say I'm a huge enigma sometimes and come across as cold and aloof until you really get to know me. They might also say I'm a bit out of touch with everyday life. They'd never say I'm a funny, outgoing, happy-go-lucky sort of person.

Oh, I also took two cognitive function tests today... The results were very different.

(Se) ************************** (26.2)
(Si) *********************************** (35.7)
(Ne) ********************************** (34)
(Ni) *********** (11.4)
(Te) *************************** (27.5)
(Ti) ********************************************** (46.1)
(Fe) *********** (11.6)
(Fi) *********************************************** (47.1)

Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.08
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.44
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||||||||||||||||| 8.39
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.38
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||| 2.57
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||| 0.55
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) || 0.22
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) || -1.47

The first page suggests INFP, ENFP or INTP, the second ISFP, INTJ or ISTJ :unsure:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INFP

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn for a constantly better understanding of myself and the world, success in the areas which are important to me, and recognition from those whose recognition matters to me. I want to live my life the way I believe is right and not conform to society's expectations too much.

This is Fi

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel good about myself every time I get an honest compliment or a good grade in a subject I care about without putting any real study effort into it. For example I'm proud because I never systematically learned vocabulary for English but still know a lot simply because I read English books for pleasure.

This sounds like something an INFP would say

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Feeling akward in social situations, experiencing trouble expressing myself verbally when talking more but not when writing, being one of very few student from a working class family in a private school. When people of less potential do better because they have a work ethic. Do I sound like an arrogant bitch already?

This also sounds like something an INFP would say

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I think about pros and cons a lot but don't always act according to what would make most logical sense. Sometimes I just do whatever feels right at a certain moment in time, ignoring the consequences, often ending up regretting it later.

That's P'ish

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Watching the extended versions of Lord of the Rings movies with a friend on New Year's Eve while everyone else was out partying is the first thing that comes to mind. While this would sound like a horrible way to spend New Year's Eve to most people I imagine, I didn't feel like I miss out on anything but was happy to share one of my slightly geeky interests with somebody. But most of the time I don't go for fun but for peace of mind. I feel good just wandering through nature and thinking about stuff.

Seems I'ish and N'ish

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Most of the learning I do is for school, and it only feels natural when I'm actually interest in a topic. Then I will do some extra reading that isn't required, otherwise I will probably just do some last minute studying the night before the exam. It also helps when I feel my effort will be recognized by the teacher.

You seem to need recognition by others a lot. More likely F

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I'm not sure if I understand the question. Both, I suppose?

An NT would understand this question

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Ideally, I'd rather stick to my values, but in reality I dislike trying to force them upon others because more often than not this is an impossible task.

That's Fi for sure

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They would say I'm a huge enigma sometimes and come across as cold and aloof until you really get to know me. They might also say I'm a bit out of touch with everyday life. They'd never say I'm a funny, outgoing, happy-go-lucky sort of person.

This seems very infp

Oh, I also took two cognitive function tests today... The results were very different.

(Se) ************************** (26.2)
(Si) *********************************** (35.7)
(Ne) ********************************** (34)
(Ni) *********** (11.4)
(Te) *************************** (27.5)
(Ti) ********************************************** (46.1)
(Fe) *********** (11.6)
(Fi) *********************************************** (47.1)

Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.08
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.44
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||||||||||||||||| 8.39
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.38
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||| 2.57
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||| 0.55
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) || 0.22
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) || -1.47

The first page suggests INFP, ENFP or INTP, the second ISFP, INTJ or ISTJ :unsure:

Your Se is way to low to be an ISFP. Your Te is too low to be an ISTJ. The first one - you could be INTP if not INFP. That second one is totally confusing but Fi is at the top of both and I did see Fi all over your responses.

fairwinds

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow, thank you. I didn't think somebody would reply this quickly!

Yes, I might be an INFP. Some of the descriptions however make it seem like they all life in some kind of Alice in Wonderland-like fantsay world:

"INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses. It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities." (Typelogic)

I can't really relate to that part, just like I can't relate to much that is posted on INFP forums which is one of the reasons I'm considering INTP as well. Oh, and with question 10 my problem is that I the two options don't seem like alternatives but basically mean the same thing to me. Maybe I should have elaborated.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, thank you. I didn't think somebody would reply this quickly!

Yes, I might be an INFP. Some of the descriptions however make it seem like they all life in some kind of Alice in Wonderland-like fantsay world:

"INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses. It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities." (Typelogic)

I can't really relate to that part, just like I can't relate to much that is posted on INFP forums which is one of the reasons I'm considering INTP as well. Oh, and with question 10 my problem is that I the two options don't seem like alternatives but basically mean the same thing to me. Maybe I should have elaborated.

I think on question one - it's whether or not you are looking at principles or you look at facts/evidence. That's how I interpreted it. INFPs are different from each other just like all types are. I don't relate to a lot of INTJs. It might be helpful to look at Enneagram Tri-type in combination with MBTI.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definitely INFP :yes:

Also, be wary of certain INFP descriptions; they try to paint us as fluffy sappy romanticist bunny rabbits, which isn't true of all INFP's.

Enneagram wise, maybe 1w9 or 9w1 sp/so or so/sp? I'm not sure, as I don't have enough information from these questions to say for sure.

Oh and welcome to the forums :hi:

fairwinds

MBTI Type
INFP
If there's no dissentient opinion I will settle down on INFP for now :)

Maybe I'll just hang around the NFs' corner while lurking the other parts of the forum and see how it goes.

I looked into Enneagram 1 and 9, and I can relate to some of the traits, especially type One's perfectionism. But they also seem have a very SJ-like vibe to them. (Well I know there is no real correlation with MBTI, but I can't help comparing both systems all the time...) It confuses me even more than MBTI does, and I'm slightly biased against it because it appears a little esoteric, I guess I just need to read up on it more first.

And thanks for the welcome ;)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I looked into Enneagram 1 and 9, and I can relate to some of the traits, especially type One's perfectionism. But they also seem have a very SJ-like vibe to them. (Well I know there is no real correlation with MBTI, but I can't help comparing both systems all the time...) It confuses me even more than MBTI does, and I'm slightly biased against it because it appears a little esoteric, I guess I just need to read up on it more first.

Indeed :yes:

And thanks for the welcome ;)

Sure thing :yes: