• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questioning Type Again

G

garbage

I'm picking what I relate to.

I'm not so sure about your instinctual variant.. but (if you haven't done so already) it might be worth selecting descriptions of a few of them (sx/sp, sp/sx, ...) and going through the process you did in figuring out what aspects of each you relate to.

I will warn you, however, that as I said, I don't relate to ocean-moonshine's 6 so/sx description at all. So, it might be worth poking around individual instinctual stacking descriptions as well as those of your wing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? Why is that so?

Because you are less interested in financial security. However, certain Instinctuals place importance on emotional and relationship security. For ex., "Social/Sexual - This type can be very different from the other social type, because with this type, security comes from making alliances with individuals." That fits what you've said about yourself and excludes things like controlling your spouse and children (those Liddy-esque things I obliquely referenced and which you didn't boldface).

Right, which is why I was saying I relate to the overall description of Sx/Sp as opposed to the Sp/Sx one.

You only looked at two types?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You only looked at two types?

No, it's just that I have decided that I am So-last based on multiple descriptions I have read about it. But I am open to the possibility of being a non-Social-last subtype.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, wow, this DOES sound a lot like me.

Social/Sexual

This type can be very different from the other social type, because with this type, security comes from making alliances with individuals. Their weakness comes from their self-pres instinct being last, so they are not as independent as the self-pres/soc. They rely on key people in their lives when doubt sets in. Their security comes from maintaining close bonds. They fear rejection much more then the soc/self-pres. This softens the strong stances seen in the soc/self-pres, because the soc/sex doesn’t find its security in organizations and government. They go through life looking for the people they think will be able to direct them. On the down side, they can make individuals into their authority figures and rely too much on them. They are a lighter Six. They go with the flow more than the other subtypes. They are likely to use humor to charm people, but on the down side may whine and complain about their circumstances to garner support. When healthier, their charm, enthusiasm and curiosity are infectious. They are very loyal friends, although that can be said more or less about all reasonably healthy Sixes. But with the self-pres/soc and the soc/sex nothing much more then your support is required, for maintaining their friendship.

I am rather confused though that I have not related to most descriptions of the Social instinct.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, wow, this DOES sound a lot like me.

True, and it looks like you only disagreed with this part: "They are likely to use humor to charm people, but on the down side may whine and complain about their circumstances to garner support. When healthier, their charm, enthusiasm and curiosity are infectious."

I am rather confused though that I have not related to most descriptions of the Social instinct.

In general? Some people have more problems with the general description, as I do. Some would prefer it over the description that is specific to type.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, and it looks like you only disagreed with this part: "They are likely to use humor to charm people, but on the down side may whine and complain about their circumstances to garner support. When healthier, their charm, enthusiasm and curiosity are infectious."

Actually... I have been guilty of that from time to time, especially when I was younger, but in general, I don't.

In general? Some people have more problems with the general description, as I do. Some would prefer it over the description that is specific to type.

It just seems curious to me why I wouldn't relate to the descriptions of the instinct itself, but relate to the specific E-type subtype description.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually... I have been guilty of that from time to time, especially when I was younger, but in general, I don't.

It just seems curious to me why I wouldn't relate to the descriptions of the instinct itself, but relate to the specific E-type subtype description.

I don't know, but I went with the positive identification, because obviously I'm not going with the negative one.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, but I went with the positive identification, because obviously I'm not going with the negative one.

Do you think it means I'm So/Sx then?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is the general "sx/sp" description:

"This is perhaps the most internally conflicted of the stackings, and potentially the most inconsistent in behavior."

I'm not sure what any of that means.

"This may occur as a blockage of the sexual instinct which can be redirected as a more generally brooding and troubled personality."

I don't see how blocking the Sx instinct can lead to someone being an Sx-dom. But I agree that I am more generally brooding and troubled, particularly when I was a young adult.

"They may isolate themselves for long periods of time before reemerging."

I can see myself doing that, but I know it's harmful to my psyche so I don't.

"They live according to a strictly personal outlook and are not particularly concerned with the approval of others outside of their immediate concern."

Pretty much.

"They seem to be searching for something, the missing piece."

I think that's true of me.

"If they find a soulmate they will unite without fanfare, forming a secret bond, dealing with formalities as an afterthought."

I've had my secret bonds, in the past. I don't care much for formalities. But I don't think of it as searching for a soulmate.

"Powerful sexual impulses facing inner resistance may manifest symbolically in the psyche, giving way to soulful interpretations of the unconscious."

I don't know what that means.

"Under periods of stress severe sexual tensions may manifest as erratic, impulsively destructive behavior."

I thought that instinct was blocked? I don't get it. Can someone please explain this to me? Does "blockage" mean sexual insecurity? Does it mean lack of self-confidence leading to sexual frustrations that are expressed self-destructively?

"Can seem restless, torn between the comforts of a stable home life and the urge to wander."

In other words, to explore other possibilities, possibly sexual in nature?

"May be prone to self-medicating."

Not very much.

"Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.
Familiar roles: the devotee, the seeker, the wanderer"

Maybe, but it all sounds rather obscure to me. The problem may not be agreeing or disagreeing with all this, so much as understanding what it means.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think it means I'm So/Sx then?

I mentioned the So/Sx as a very plausible hypothesis for you. It bears most of your stated characteristics and lacks those you disidentified with in the Sx/Sp. So yes, I think you are the So/Sx.