• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram experts and wannabes, E9s and E7s come hither! TYPE ME!!

What type should I consider?

• Total voters

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem awfully righteous for an anti-one...

Righteous? :huh:

My morals are very grey-scale and bendy, at least the few that I have are =/

Live and let live is my motto!

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I was joking. Yeah, anybody who would type you as a one needs to get their vision checked. :newwink:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was joking. Yeah, anybody who would type you as a one needs to get their vision checked. :newwink:

Ah =p I missed the :biggrin: at the end of the post!

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ohh, on that note, do you think tense-ness could be a sign of withholding anger (or other emotions).

Tense-ness is a sign that you are not connected to your body, you don't realize that you are tense when you're up in your head, this is common for all headtypes. You are not a 9, you're 100% a head type!!!! :alttongue:

When you say you're future orientated, is it more about what you're going to do today, tomorrow, on the weekend, in a month, a year? Or do you just enjoy thinking about the future and dreaming up possiblities with "what if" questions, prepare for some of them, and never really doing anything? Or are you working out what's going to happen so that you know what's coming at you, and then doing things to prevent anything bad from happening?

Starry

I am very future orientated, which doesn't gel with E9 from what I've read. I've often looked at the below symbols as a potential tat called "Sankofa" which means "return and get it" as a symbol of importance of learning from the past, I love the message but have never been able to justify getting it as a tat as even though I love what it says it does not resinate stronly with me. I rarely think of things that are gone.

sank2_lg.gif
sank_lg.gif

I wanted to say that if you have an ExFJ mother...you automatically become a head-type. This is just how it is. Seriously!!! (okay...that might not be totally true...but how else are you going to deal with that??? haha).

I also wanted to say that those 'potential tats' are gorgeous! I'd like to steal your idea...(I especially like the heart shaped one - must you get both for the entire Sankofa message?)...but can't because I couldn't justify getting them either!!! I actually have been trying to examine the past lately...and learn from it... but it has been hard. I'm not naturally wired for this kind of thing...and I can't say that I'm doing all that great with it. Yah...I could never get those tats! LOL.

Let us know when you have your final verdict Mr. Seven! (just kidding...what do I know...you could totally be a very a-typical 9 haha! that would be cool as well!).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

live and let live is not a bendy motto.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tense-ness is a sign that you are not connected to your body, you don't realize that you are tense when you're up in your head, this is common for all headtypes. You are not a 9, you're 100% a head type!!!! :alttongue:

Seems my body has no neck connection!

How can you be so sure? Your conviction is throwing my need to keep things open! I'm trying to think back to what it was that gave me certainty with my MB type cause I was very unconvinced initially, time and trying it on I guess. Problem is I've done that with 7, and I cannot see myself as 5 or 6 =/

When you say you're future orientated, is it more about what you're going to do today, tomorrow, on the weekend, in a month, a year? Or do you just enjoy thinking about the future and dreaming up possiblities with "what if" questions, prepare for some of them, and never really doing anything? Or are you working out what's going to happen so that you know what's coming at you, and then doing things to prevent anything bad from happening?

Good question, my immediate reaction is iunno :shrug:

I don't dwell on what I'm going to do, the longer in advance an event is known the less likely I'll want to go, if I want it I want it now, if I can't have it now I lose interest and forget about it. It's more about "what ifs", to be honest though I mostly think about things that have no basis in reality so there's no need to do anything with them, t'would be fair to call me a dreamer.

I wanted to say that if you have an ExFJ mother...you automatically become a head-type. This is just how it is. Seriously!!! (okay...that might not be totally true...but how else are you going to deal with that??? haha).

Lol, damn her and her Dom Fe!

I also wanted to say that those 'potential tats' are gorgeous! I'd like to steal your idea...(I especially like the heart shaped one - must you get both for the entire Sankofa message?)...but can't because I couldn't justify getting them either!!! I actually have been trying to examine the past lately...and learn from it... but it has been hard. I'm not naturally wired for this kind of thing...and I can't say that I'm doing all that great with it. Yah...I could never get those tats! LOL.

It's either/or, they're two different symbols that mean the same thing, so yup, just one. The past is just so... what's the fun in looking at it? There's no potential unknown answer at the end of it.

This is one that I do have:
sesa_lg.gif

It's called Sesa Wo Saban which is a symbol of life transformation. It combines two separate adinkra symbols, the "Morning Star" which can mean a new start to the day, placed inside the wheel, representing rotation or independent movement. It loosely translates to "I change or transform my life". Now that message is one I need tattooed on me!

Let us know when you have your final verdict Mr. Seven! (just kidding...what do I know...you could totally be a very a-typical 9 haha! that would be cool as well!).

I'm a Xw8 :biggrin:

I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE INDECISIVENESS, JAYS!

An ENTP E9 wouldn't look like an average E9 in the first place as it's such an IFP dominated type, and my issue with E7 is there a bunch of things other ENTPs do easily/naturally that I shy away from, such as trollololing and being super blunt without seeming to care about the impact. I've always put that down to Fe, but it feels like something more than that as there are other ENTPs about with a high dosing of Fe.

live and let live is not a bendy motto.

The motto isn't bendy, but it applies to anything that could be ethical/moralistic making the stance I hold in any given situation rather bendy.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I also have 7 and 9 in my tritype, which makes it difficult to figure out primary E type. 7 and 9 together make a pretty weird combination that doesn't fit either primary description very well, and 9 is especially weird for ENTP. Aside from how weird it seems in trying to fit it in with E descriptions, I also happen to think it's a super awesome combination to have. :biggrin:

I only became pretty certain of my 9w8 E type after reading this description that you quoted earlier:

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/9/98.html

Both the healthy and unhealthy state descriptions fit me very well; they describe me at my best and my worst. The appearance description fits except that I'm not big (but I have been told I have a "powerful walk" lol) and I don't mind being a bit flashy around the right people when I'm in the mood, more so when I was younger in party mode (influence of the 7 in my tritype).

Righto, help me!

This is a list of the E9/E7 stuff that I feel does and does not fit, whaddya recon?

My issues with 7/Support of 9:

- I don't fear boredom, maybe in part because my mind can always entertain me but also partly because I don't need to be doing anything I'm happy to sit there and ponder things.
- I am not high-energy, I'm actually decidedly low energy.
- Anger is the one thing in other people that I withdraw from faster than anything as I seriously cannot handle it, if you show me anger I will never trust you again.
- I consider myself more ballsy than assertive, although I can be when I need to be.
- I am highly introspective and have always lived in my head.
- I do not have a strong sense of self as separate from others.
- I tend to go with the flow rather than create my own path against resistance.
- I don't really have goals, and can't generally be fussed with setting any, every once in a while I'll try to set some but it is short-lived.
- I avoid confrontation. I hate confrontation. It's the reason I stopped modding elsewhere and I cringe if there are disagreements here.
- I am usually quiet, I listen more than I talk, but I do have my excited moments.
- I am used to being on my own, and am comfortable there.
- I have faith that all things will work out.
- I don't like to draw attention - but I can handle it fine.
- I do not use force to assert myself.
- The statement "a lot of my excitement goes on in my imagination" is very much true.
- I don't feel as though anxiety is an issue for me.
- I seek to remain neutral in conflict. I'm very active in this pursuit much of the time!
- I can idealise others.
- Burying ones head in the sand is a past time for me.
- While people can see my ENTP need to debate as argumentative I will never raise my voice and take a conversation personal, which is my definition of an argument. I have never argued with a romantic partner, ever.
- I think I'm softer 'round the edges than the average ENTP. As much as I enjoy devils advocating I could never be a troll.

My issues with 9/Support of 7:

- I enjoy high emotions and elation.
- I see myself more as a head type than gut type - but then 9s are often out of harmony with their gutness.
- I am highly impulsive.
- I play fun and work hard, generally in that order.
- When I am motivated by something I will get it hell or high water (unless I'm distracted by something shinier).
- Short attention span; I has them.
- I am comfortable taking the lead when I feel competent and no one else is. I sought out a management position.
- I can be quite competitive.
- I do not believe I am seen as too accommodating, even if I am.
- I love stimulation, adventure, excitement and variety.
- I can be assertive - but then I am a w8.
- I resist commitment and stability, in favour of keeping options open and wanting change.
- I'm all for instant gratification.
- I do not deny myself what I want. Get an idea in my head: need it instantly.
- I'm a quick thinker.
- I'm aware of, and comfortable owning my strengths, and I can also downplay my weaknesses, although I will still own them.
- I do not equate self-assertion with aggression, I see the former as very positive.
- Sp/So E9s can be seen as the least assertive of all the enneagram types, I'm not.

If that was the way to tell them apart then 7 would be off the table, I am not high energy:
I'm excitable and encouragable, but not high energy or clearly extroverted. As extreme as those scores look with energy v other extraversion, it's fair.

I had to read that a few times to get it to sink in but it does feel somewhat true for me, I don't have a strong sense of self, who I am depends on who I'm with, not because I change but because who they see me as changes my view of myself. I'm fiercely independent, but I'm also unsure of who I am unless someone else tells me.

Actually that's something I've always struggled to comprehend until now: I constantly seek reassurance, not because I have low self esteem, I don't believe I do, but because I have poor perception on who I am and need to be told again and again to understand.

I love excitement, and activity, I just don't create it. For one I often can't be bothered with the effort, and for two I often don't know how it would go across with others and that stops me.

When stressed I relate to excessive, materialistic, passive and unresponsive =/ I seek avoidance, the easiest way is to do it in isolation however if the opportunity to be stimulated came up I would take it as I know that when around people or activity I will recharge and leave in a better mind frame then I started with. I want an emotional high from activities, good feelings chase off the bad ones, at least for a while.

I like euphoria. I seek highs.

Yeah, I don't think I'm unfocused, nor indirect when talking, actually I can be too direct at times. And the withdrawal thing is something both types can share in different ways, that's the reason I saw 7 fitting so well; my avoidance when something I don't like comes along rather than dealing with it asap to minimise it's impact, I stick my head in the sand and hum "lalalaa". But then it seems both types are pretty good at that tack.

Looking at something linked in elsewhere

That is me, in a really bad way. I can go for months without opening mail, and for years friends would pay me out about the stupidity of me owning a phone cause I never answered it. That was me in deep depression. I survived as much as I could by living in a dream state when I could.

I relate strongly to 99% of what you wrote there.

I gotz bad news for ya: you seem to be a lot like me. :hifive:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also have 7 and 9 in my tritype, which makes it difficult to figure out primary E type.

It was ALL so much easier back in the old days. Sigh...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Righto, help me!

- Sp/So E9s can be seen as the least assertive of all the enneagram types, I'm not.

Looking at this present info, and your assertion of being w8, I have to go with 9w8. It doesn't completely fit. And when you say "I can [emphasis on CAN] be quite competitive," it's really not relevant to how you are ALL or MOST of the time, which is what matters in determining the main e-type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm beginning to see that there are about 4 of these 9w8 types on this forum, and they have key characteristics in common. The main characteristic has to do with the fact that the 9w8 is the most conflicted type on the Enneagram. As a result, I see more fluctuations in their responses to the forum, not only in their posts but in the e-type or mbti type they report as. I'm not saying this personality type itself is in flux (maybe it is?), but the individual's self-awareness is dependent upon circumstances. And the various responses I get back are slippery as hell.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems my body has no neck connection!

How can you be so sure? Your conviction is throwing my need to keep things open! I'm trying to think back to what it was that gave me certainty with my MB type cause I was very unconvinced initially, time and trying it on I guess. Problem is I've done that with 7, and I cannot see myself as 5 or 6 =/

Good question, my immediate reaction is iunno :shrug:

I don't dwell on what I'm going to do, the longer in advance an event is known the less likely I'll want to go, if I want it I want it now, if I can't have it now I lose interest and forget about it. It's more about "what ifs", to be honest though I mostly think about things that have no basis in reality so there's no need to do anything with them, t'would be fair to call me a dreamer.

All you need is to watch yourself more, learn to understand what you have control of, and reactions within yourself that arise subconciously. Eventually things will start to fall into place. I really think the best thing about the enneagram is that it provokes you to think about how your mind works and to work out what drives you. Understanding yourself can take a long time, don't expect it to happen overnight... oh, and it never ends either, you're always going to react differently to new situations. Life is full of surprises.

wolfy

awsm
Have you decided on your type yet?

I think you are probably 9w8. Let me explain how I came to this... you are entp, that is pretty much for certain, so let's use it as a base. If you were 7 and entp you'd expect a more frenetic sort of personality but you aren't. You are more laid back, therefore 9.

There is more to it but this is the crux of it. I am drunk and it is late so that is all I can be bothered typing right now.

Hurry up and decide on your dumb type already. : )

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh wow, you want me to go into the dark light *fear* It sounds so anti-instinctual that this will take considerable effort and time to firstly recognise the avoidance and then try to figure out the underlying issue, sounds scary fun, scary cause like eww at going there, fun because it'll be a new experience although at the time I'm sure I won't see it that way.

Ohh, on that note, do you think tense-ness could be a sign of withholding anger (or other emotions).

It's tough... yet when you figure out one of those subconscious blocks it's such an amazing feeling. Things that never made any sense click into place, and there's a lot of power that comes from self-awareness.

And yes, tenseness is a sign that something is going on. I usually relate it to fear and nervousness, but I suspect fear and anger are closely linked in the E9.

Oh there's definitely no logical reason that supports my avoidance, and sound logical reasons to deal with things. I know this, and I consider myself smart enough not to constantly fall back into avoiding things that will make life harder... but I do. Again and again. And so I get angry at myself for it, but then I think happy thoughts and go back to avoiding both the initial issue, and now also the stupidity of avoidance.

Hehe, I could have easily wrote that.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And yes, tenseness is a sign that something is going on. I usually relate it to fear and nervousness, but I suspect fear and anger are closely linked in the E9.

I feel tense when I am angry and fearful... more like despairing, really. I usually am only angry when I am feeling desperate, anyways.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not for me, they are quite separate.

Do you know what level you identify with?

(I'm wondering if my suspicion applies more to certain levels.)

I feel tense when I am angry and fearful... more like despairing, really. I usually am only angry when I am feeling desperate, anyways.

Yeah, perceived powerlessness tends to bring out both emotions within me, which usually shows up as tenseness followed by avoidance.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going by this: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typenine.asp I identify with basically everything between level 2 and 7. Though I do see the word "fear" in level 4, I don't think of that emotion as fear but annoyance/uneasiness.

Well, I'm a pretty solid Level 4 (with bits of 3), so that might explain it. My suspicion may only apply to level 4 or thereabouts.

Still, annoyance seems like a dulled version of anger, and uneasiness a dulled version of fear. Do you find annoyance / uneasiness to be quite separate? Not as in similar, but rather, does experiencing one tend to be connected to experiencing the other?