User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type should I consider?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5, and work out your own wing

    0 0%
  • 5w4

    0 0%
  • 5w6

    0 0%
  • 6, and loyal like

    0 0%
  • 6w5

    0 0%
  • 6w7

    0 0%
  • 7, and bouncyflouncy like tigger

    4 25.00%
  • 7w6

    1 6.25%
  • 7w8

    1 6.25%
  • 8, and in control

    0 0%
  • 8w7

    1 6.25%
  • 8w9

    0 0%
  • 9, and surfing life

    3 18.75%
  • 9w8

    6 37.50%
  • 9w1

    1 6.25%
  • 10, you surpass enneagram

    3 18.75%
  • 1, 2, 3 or 4

    1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 137

  1. #41
    Senior Member wildflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    check out this 9 description. it sounds like a lot of what you've said:

    Point Nine: The Program of Non-aggression with Indolence and Indecision

    Special Gift: Peaceful awareness
    Self-Definition: "I'm easy-going."
    Shadow Issue: Laziness
    Rejected Element: Conflict
    Addiction: Indecision/Inaction
    Strength Needed: Action (Love)
    Defense Mechanism: Narcotization; "shutting off the juice"
    Psychological Disturbance: Obsessive/passive aggressive personality
    Talk Style: Epic stories
    Preoccupations Include: Dichotomy of belief/doubt.
    Dichotomy of mystical/worldly concerns.
    Replacing essential needs with inessential substitutes.
    Indecisiveness and difficulty saying "no".
    Containment of physical energy and anger.
    Control through stubbornness and passive aggression.
    Fluctuating attitudes, oppositional behavior and emotions -- either to adhere to the desires of others as a means of gaining security, or to be defiantly resistant and independent.
    Difficulty in maintaining a personal point of view, but ability to recognize and support another's position.
    Fight-phobic: avoiding conflict by not knowing the anger wihtin.
    Focus: Personal emphasis on appetite.
    Couple emphasis on union.
    Community emphasis on participation.
    Life Task: To experience love guided by the strength of taking actions appropriate to any given situation, including conflict.
    Margaret Frings Keyes, link

  2. #42
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Both in a way, at my worst I go to my room, block out the world and do nothing that involves leaving there unless I have to (ie work). At my worst I won't even get food delivered unless I can order it online as I do not want to talk to anyone. In that space I don't care about getting new things, I only care about having things around me that will distract me from reality (ie movies/internet). I sleep, I do things that distract me and I occasionally eat or drink.

    At the same time I frequently buy things that I want without limiting myself by reality such as 'can I afford it' or 'are there other things I should be spending money on first', but I do that even if I'm not stressed.

    If my stress is specifically about money I will not spend, but I also will not check my bank balance, it's totally stupid cause knowledge is key, but rather than facing reality I choose instead to metaphorically cover my eyes so I can't see something and believe that means it can't see me. It's not happening.

    This stuff however, is stuff that I would not normally reveal. I'm embarrassed about this side of me so I minimise that as well.

    I did start out thinking I may be 5 back when I was unsure of my MBTI type, I figured the reason I scored so high on 7 (and 8) was because that was my E-type under stress (growth), but I'm simply not internal in the 5 intellectual way, I'm an over thinker as opposed to a deep thinker. I don't stay on one thing long enough to go deep, I skim things and go for breadth instead.




    I don't really care about acceptance, I've never been bothered if people don't like me, although to be honest I rarely know if people like me unless told, same goes for not liking me. I am happy being individual even though I don't seek to stand out. I would rather go against the grain in order to be true to myself then fit other people's expectations. It's more a matter of I want harmony around me, both in my relationship with others, and in their relationships with each other. So I tend not to make waves unless it's what I have to do in order to be true to myself, but even then I will minimise them as much as I possibly can.

    I never disregard anything, and I will look deeper on it but I struggle to see w6 as an option.




    Those bits sounds contradictory don't they

    To explain: I trust that people have good intentions, I do not presume the worst in anyone unless they give me reason.

    I do not however trust many people to let my walls down as I'm not okay with showing raw emotion, I am not okay with not being in control. Even when drunk off my ass I'm the person that others will approach to ask me if I ever get drunk as they've never seen me drunk, I do not lose control. I'm always me but I don't really know how to let my guard down, part of that is that I am a very open person with most things and if something is being kept behind my wall it's something that I probably don't want to face myself.




    Well to make that point murkier: If you frustrate me you will probably never hear about it, I'll swallow it and move on to happier thoughts. I'll also see my frustration as my issue, not yours so feel I have no right to push that on you.
    can definitely be sure you're in the head type now. I typed your OP from the other thread as 5.

    When calm, 5s can be masterful, they will invest the effort to become competent, and they will often refuse to be satisfied with that competence, keep in mind that this could be at anything, from driving, cooking, making paper planes, throwing knives to reading, video games, movies, TV shows. Often 5s will skim over the top like a 7, preferring variety to focus. Like not so long ago, I gathered a music collection that includes everything I could get my hands on, a huge list of games that will take me 4 years to get through, I want to learn to cook, I want to learn guitar and piano, I want to read as many books as I can get my grubby little paws on. But for a 5 to progress, they need to realize that they have to cut back on the fantasies, take control of reality and actively carve themselves a path. Taking control of reality includes things like checking your bank account , doing these things reduces anxiety, which will lead to more focus.

    7s will naturally carve that path, they see everything as something they need, and they go out of their way to get it. In this way, they are very practical people. They see something new and they get their hands dirty, they want to try it, so they become experienced at many practical things (like cooking, sports, wood working etc.). Which unfortunately for them, isn't always the necessary items, they might go out, work their asses off and then suddenly splurge it EVERYWHERE. Not much holding back. This is why they can become addicted to drugs and alcohol, they want to fill the void and obtain everything they can, trying new things. When stressed, they are more likely to get angry and snap at people (disintegration to 1). They aren't necessarily people-persons, there is nothing in this that describes them as such, but people can be new and exiting to them. I think 7 so/sx are the truly extroverted 7s, just look at Halla on this site . 7 sp is more independent, but still very adventurous, just not necessarily directed towards people.


    For Self Preservationists, both 5 and 7 like to gather comforts, one will do it with more focus and patience, the other with more vigor and impatience.
    5 3 9

  3. #43
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Kasper, I've always seen you as a 7 rather than a 9. Your communication style has a mixture of optimism and silliness combined with a direct no-nonsense firmness that I've seen in other 7w8 ENTPs. While your real life persona might be different enough for me to change my mind on that, my first guess is 7w8. I am unable to rule out 9w8, though.

    It seems to me that the key here is that you haven't been able to fully develop into yourself, which means you are a 7 or a 9 that hasn't fully developed a key part of your personality. The question is - are you a natural 9 that's been inhibited to develop 7 qualities, or are you a natural 7 who has been inhibited to develop 9 qualities. Since 9s are the dissociated / disconnected / difficulty asserting their identity types, I want to say that the latter would be my *first* guess. Does that make any sense?

    One other idea: Go through the health of the enneagram levels here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personlitytype9
    http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype7

    And evaluate the Levels of Development, paying particular attention to the “fears” column. (Basically, you start at level 1, and the level 1 fear leads to level 2 behavior, and the level 2 fear left unchecked leads to level 3 behavior, and so on. It might be a good idea to read through both lists and see which one, and which level of development, seems to fit better.

    Hope that helps!

  4. #44
    Senior Member Owfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Type 7s are always clamoring for more (not just physically, but mentally; they are a head type) because they are terrified of not having enough (they are a fear type) or feeling pain. They basically distract themselves, try to avoid pain, try to keep...

    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

    • MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

  5. #45
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    I'm bouncing everything off what people are posting here btw, so even if something seems redundant to mention; it's all going in and either giving me awareness on something I didn't notice before, or solidifying something I already know.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    check out this 9 description. it sounds like a lot of what you've said:
    Yeah, which is why I'm struggling with this.

    But is showing to also be somewhat a reason against 9 as the uncertainty and questions raised about my type is not something I want to drag out. I don't think I'm indecisive, I want to keep options open always but I am happy to make an interim decision at any time and simply leave it open to being shifted with further information.


    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    can definitely be sure you're in the head type now. I typed your OP from the other thread as 5.
    But how would a 9 that is out of touch with their gut appear? Is it something that would be unrecognisable to others or just the individual in question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    When calm, 5s can be masterful, they will invest the effort to become competent, and they will often refuse to be satisfied with that competence, keep in mind that this could be at anything, from driving, cooking, making paper planes, throwing knives to reading, video games, movies, TV shows. Often 5s will skim over the top like a 7, preferring variety to focus. Like not so long ago, I gathered a music collection that includes everything I could get my hands on, a huge list of games that will take me 4 years to get through, I want to learn to cook, I want to learn guitar and piano, I want to read as many books as I can get my grubby little paws on. But for a 5 to progress, they need to realize that they have to cut back on the fantasies, take control of reality and actively carve themselves a path. Taking control of reality includes things like checking your bank account , doing these things reduces anxiety, which will lead to more focus.
    Avoiding reality doesn't make it go away this is true. I relate to what you've written there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    7s will naturally carve that path, they see everything as something they need, and they go out of their way to get it. In this way, they are very practical people. They see something new and they get their hands dirty, they want to try it, so they become experienced at many practical things (like cooking, sports, wood working etc.). Which unfortunately for them, isn't always the necessary items, they might go out, work their asses off and then suddenly splurge it EVERYWHERE. Not much holding back. This is why they can become addicted to drugs and alcohol, they want to fill the void and obtain everything they can, trying new things.
    I don't relate to the addictive nature of 7, not really, if I do something bad for myself as a habit it's more for laziness of not stopping than the desire to fill a void. I relate more to over eating, or more often under eating due to lack of awareness which is something I've seen associated with E9. I can literally go days without eating until something external triggers an awareness that I'm starving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    When stressed, they are more likely to get angry and snap at people (disintegration to 1).
    I don't snap, I would have to feel very threatened for that and I would probably immediately feel bad and apologise or make it into a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    They aren't necessarily people-persons, there is nothing in this that describes them as such, but people can be new and exiting to them. I think 7 so/sx are the truly extroverted 7s, just look at Halla on this site . 7 sp is more independent, but still very adventurous, just not necessarily directed towards people.
    I love people, I'm not that outgoing as you've seen, but I am happy to be called a (quite) people person. New people are totally exciting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    For Self Preservationists, both 5 and 7 like to gather comforts, one will do it with more focus and patience, the other with more vigor and impatience.
    I am patient when it comes to others, impatient when it comes to myself and what I want. I am highly impulsive that's for sure.

    Btw, what helped you pick 5 over 9 for yourself?


    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It seems to me that the key here is that you haven't been able to fully develop into yourself, which means you are a 7 or a 9 that hasn't fully developed a key part of your personality.
    Yeah, and that bothers me as lack of self-perception or awareness is not something I'm okay with, but I can't figure out what I am not aware of or how to articulate my inability to find my core self in order to move ahead. I've always been one to get external sources to show me my blind spots, but in this situation it's like even if someone told me what it was I still wouldn't recognise it as something within me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    ...I think you are a 7 (of some sort) who was just withdrew for w/e reason as a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    The question is - are you a natural 9 that's been inhibited to develop 7 qualities, or are you a natural 7 who has been inhibited to develop 9 qualities. Since 9s are the dissociated / disconnected / difficulty asserting their identity types, I want to say that the latter would be my *first* guess. Does that make any sense?
    Both of you have suggested the same thing, and if that is the question then my automatic/instinctive guess has been the latter, this is something I took into consideration previously when 9 would score higher than 7, I saw it as repression.

    But the issue is I don't feel repressed now, if I was truly energetic underneath it all it would have (re)surfaced now that I am able to be myself, without depression, and happy and comfortable in my own skin.

    Which is where I question if 7 is my 'ideal', how I want to see myself as opposed to how I truly am. I've put on an actor's face for most of my life, pretending to be someone that I am not, I was a great people pleaser always showing what was appropriate. Being light and funny and surface served to keep people at bay and to stave off confrontations.

    It's hard to separate the depression and lack of understanding who I really was from my personality as it was all encompassing and bigger than my personality in so many important ways, but for 15 years my approach to life was to shut everything out, I knew this was not okay though so unless you lived with me you would not know this, I would be shiny when I went out and even though I felt numb I would give the impression that I was full of life. It spills into every single aspect of my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    One other idea: Go through the health of the enneagram levels here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personlitytype9
    http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype7

    And evaluate the Levels of Development, paying particular attention to the “fears” column. (Basically, you start at level 1, and the level 1 fear leads to level 2 behavior, and the level 2 fear left unchecked leads to level 3 behavior, and so on. It might be a good idea to read through both lists and see which one, and which level of development, seems to fit better.
    Enneagram Seven

    L1 Fear: Of deprivation and being trapped in emotional pain
    I don't fear being deprived as I don't believe I ever will be, but if I am I would adapt. I also don't really fear emotional pain as I simply immaturely avoid allowing myself to acknowledge that I am experiencing it, even though that is actually impossible to do I make a grand effort of it.

    2. That their freedom and happiness will be lost, their needs will not be met.
    I don't fear this, I have eternal optimism that things will simply work out.

    3. Of missing out on other worth-while things and experiences (that what they have isn't enough)
    I don't fear that this will ever happen, and I am happy with experiencing whatever I do get to experience, I do not focus on what I'm missing at that time, only what I'm experiencing.

    4. That they will be bored or frustrated (and negative feelings will arise)
    I don't fear boredom, and I don't fear frustration as much as hate experiencing it. I can't stand anger.

    5. That the environment will not provide them with what they want ("scarcity thinking")
    I have too much faith that it will, and if it doesn't I will avoid facing that reality.

    6. That their actions are bringing them pain and unhappiness
    It's not a fear as much as a simple reality at times.

    7. Of losing their capacity for pleasure and happiness (that they cannot enjoy anything)
    That will never happen.

    8. That they have irreparably ruined themselves and their lives
    I'm too removed from bad things to think that.

    I relate to the outward expressions of Enneagram 7 from level 1 through 4, but not the fears or desires.


    Enneagram Nine:

    L1 Fear: Of loss and separation (of being cut off from everything)
    L2 Fear: Of losing their peace of mind

    I don't recognise those fears.

    L3 Fear: Of conflicts (internal and external)
    That one I do.

    L4 Fear: Of any significant changes/ disruptions in their world
    I can be resistant to things that would disrupt my peace.

    L5 Fear: Of having to exert themselves in any way, of leaving their comfortable patterns
    I don't recognise this as a fear.

    When under stress/in a bad spot the following is me downward spiral, very me:

    L6 Desire: To downplay the importance of problems in their world
    L6 Fear: Of being forced by reality to deal with their problems

    L7 Desire: To defend their illusion that everything is okay
    L7 Fear: Of acknowledging reality at all — particularly their own role in problems

    L8 Desire: To block out of awareness anything that could affect them
    L8 Fear: That what has happened cannot be undone — fear of reality itself

    L9 Desire: To eliminate their awareness (to save their illusions)



    ...Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.

    This introversion accounts for the inner life of Nines, which is largely out of view, protected in the inner sanctum of their psyches so that it cannot be easily disturbed or changed. It is in their dealings with the outside world that Nines can resemble Sevens.

    http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/me...isid/7and9.asp

  6. #46
    Senior Member Owfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    261

    Default

    You look more like a 9 now. 7s have a stronger sense of identity and fear instead of ignore trouble. I don't really see any 7 anymore at all here.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

    • MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

  7. #47
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    7s will naturally carve that path, they see everything as something they need, and they go out of their way to get it. In this way, they are very practical people. They see something new and they get their hands dirty, they want to try it, so they become experienced at many practical things (like cooking, sports, wood working etc.). Which unfortunately for them, isn't always the necessary items, they might go out, work their asses off and then suddenly splurge it EVERYWHERE. Not much holding back. This is why they can become addicted to drugs and alcohol, they want to fill the void and obtain everything they can, trying new things. When stressed, they are more likely to get angry and snap at people (disintegration to 1). They aren't necessarily people-persons, there is nothing in this that describes them as such, but people can be new and exiting to them. I think 7 so/sx are the truly extroverted 7s, just look at Halla on this site . 7 sp is more independent, but still very adventurous, just not necessarily directed towards people.
    Yeah, all of this is very good.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  8. #48
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, all of this is very good.
    Phew. I was worried that I might not understand 7 as well as 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I'm bouncing everything off what people are posting here btw, so even if something seems redundant to mention; it's all going in and either giving me awareness on something I didn't notice before, or solidifying something I already know.

    Yeah, which is why I'm struggling with this.

    But is showing to also be somewhat a reason against 9 as the uncertainty and questions raised about my type is not something I want to drag out. I don't think I'm indecisive, I want to keep options open always but I am happy to make an interim decision at any time and simply leave it open to being shifted with further information.

    But how would a 9 that is out of touch with their gut appear? Is it something that would be unrecognisable to others or just the individual in question?

    Avoiding reality doesn't make it go away this is true. I relate to what you've written there.

    I don't relate to the addictive nature of 7, not really, if I do something bad for myself as a habit it's more for laziness of not stopping than the desire to fill a void. I relate more to over eating, or more often under eating due to lack of awareness which is something I've seen associated with E9. I can literally go days without eating until something external triggers an awareness that I'm starving.

    I don't snap, I would have to feel very threatened for that and I would probably immediately feel bad and apologise or make it into a joke

    I love people, I'm not that outgoing as you've seen, but I am happy to be called a (quite) people person. New people are totally exciting!

    I am patient when it comes to others, impatient when it comes to myself and what I want. I am highly impulsive that's for sure.

    Btw, what helped you pick 5 over 9 for yourself?
    I read more (a book by Helen Palmer), thought more, and watched a few youtube videos on the types: Type 9, Type 5, Type 7.

    I realized how anxious I am, how much I'm always thinking, always tense, how I set up barriers to defend myself from other people. That is a crucial difference between 9 and 5 there, 9s will connect to others emotionally, and forget themselves, becoming absorbed with other people wishes and lives. 9s can't live without other people, 5s can withstand isolation, sometimes even isolate themselves on purpose. 5s keep a distance between themselves and others, they're very stingy with their time and effort, and find it hard to relax and look after themselves. 9s are so relaxed and spend their energy doing unimportant things (I think), indulging in comforts.

    Main reason I thought 9 was because I was living in a fantasy world, definitely a withdrawing type, didn't like the spot light, enjoyed harmony and peace, felt disconnected from my physical self. I was wrong though, I had the self understanding, but didn't know what 9 was like
    5 3 9

  9. #49
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Both of you have suggested the same thing, and if that is the question then my automatic/instinctive guess has been the latter, this is something I took into consideration previously when 9 would score higher than 7, I saw it as repression.

    But the issue is I don't feel repressed now, if I was truly energetic underneath it all it would have (re)surfaced now that I am able to be myself, without depression, and happy and comfortable in my own skin.
    Not necessarily. Undoing a lifetime of behavior doesn't happen overnight. Our childhoods create our basic personalities, and while I think it's possible to grow and change, it would take work to increase your energy levels. Even mesomorphs, the body type that gains muscle the most naturally, still have to train and slowly increase the difficulties of their workouts to build muscle. Increasing your energy levels would likely required a similar idea of gradual improvement. If you are an E7 and naturally higher energy person, you'd simply make quicker than expected progress, but it wouldn't be instantaneous.

    Which is where I question if 7 is my 'ideal', how I want to see myself as opposed to how I truly am. I've put on an actor's face for most of my life, pretending to be someone that I am not, I was a great people pleaser always showing what was appropriate. Being light and funny and surface served to keep people at bay and to stave off confrontations.

    It's hard to separate the depression and lack of understanding who I really was from my personality as it was all encompassing and bigger than my personality in so many important ways, but for 15 years my approach to life was to shut everything out, I knew this was not okay though so unless you lived with me you would not know this, I would be shiny when I went out and even though I felt numb I would give the impression that I was full of life. It spills into every single aspect of my life.
    Interesting. That's one of your strongest arguments for being a 9 that I've read yet, actually. I thought I had you all figured out, too. Curses!

    The second paragraph could still be 7, though.

    Enneagram Seven

    L1 Fear: Of deprivation and being trapped in emotional pain
    I don't fear being deprived as I don't believe I ever will be, but if I am I would adapt. I also don't really fear emotional pain as I simply immaturely avoid allowing myself to acknowledge that I am experiencing it, even though that is actually impossible to do I make a grand effort of it.

    2. That their freedom and happiness will be lost, their needs will not be met.
    I don't fear this, I have eternal optimism that things will simply work out.

    3. Of missing out on other worth-while things and experiences (that what they have isn't enough)
    I don't fear that this will ever happen, and I am happy with experiencing whatever I do get to experience, I do not focus on what I'm missing at that time, only what I'm experiencing.

    4. That they will be bored or frustrated (and negative feelings will arise)
    I don't fear boredom, and I don't fear frustration as much as hate experiencing it. I can't stand anger.

    5. That the environment will not provide them with what they want ("scarcity thinking")
    I have too much faith that it will, and if it doesn't I will avoid facing that reality.

    6. That their actions are bringing them pain and unhappiness
    It's not a fear as much as a simple reality at times.

    7. Of losing their capacity for pleasure and happiness (that they cannot enjoy anything)
    That will never happen.

    8. That they have irreparably ruined themselves and their lives
    I'm too removed from bad things to think that.

    I relate to the outward expressions of Enneagram 7 from level 1 through 4, but not the fears or desires.


    Enneagram Nine:

    L1 Fear: Of loss and separation (of being cut off from everything)
    L2 Fear: Of losing their peace of mind

    I don't recognise those fears.

    L3 Fear: Of conflicts (internal and external)
    That one I do.

    L4 Fear: Of any significant changes/ disruptions in their world
    I can be resistant to things that would disrupt my peace.

    L5 Fear: Of having to exert themselves in any way, of leaving their comfortable patterns
    I don't recognise this as a fear.

    When under stress/in a bad spot the following is me downward spiral, very me:

    L6 Desire: To downplay the importance of problems in their world
    L6 Fear: Of being forced by reality to deal with their problems

    L7 Desire: To defend their illusion that everything is okay
    L7 Fear: Of acknowledging reality at all — particularly their own role in problems

    L8 Desire: To block out of awareness anything that could affect them
    L8 Fear: That what has happened cannot be undone — fear of reality itself

    L9 Desire: To eliminate their awareness (to save their illusions)
    How much do you relate to the level 5 E9 descriptions?

    Here's another site for you to look at with more descriptions. (The Levels of Development are under the "health" section.) Also, it introduces the instincts to the descriptions a bit, which might help provide a bit more insight if you haven't already seen them.

    http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-9.html
    http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-7.html

  10. #50
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    I read more (a book by Helen Palmer), thought more, and watched a few youtube videos on the types: Type 9, Type 5, Type 7.
    Was interesting seeing the energy of the different types. The 5s were not relatable to me, too serious and intellectual. In terms of behaviour I related most to the 7s, in terms of what they were saying I related most to the 9s. I could see myself sitting on the couch with either group, I'd have more fun with the 7s for sure but I don't think I would have struggled with some of the questions like they seemed to, or answered the same way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Not necessarily. Undoing a lifetime of behavior doesn't happen overnight. Our childhoods create our basic personalities, and while I think it's possible to grow and change, it would take work to increase your energy levels. Even mesomorphs, the body type that gains muscle the most naturally, still have to train and slowly increase the difficulties of their workouts to build muscle. Increasing your energy levels would likely required a similar idea of gradual improvement. If you are an E7 and naturally higher energy person, you'd simply make quicker than expected progress, but it wouldn't be instantaneous.
    Fair call.

    The thing I keep coming back to is this 'sense of self' business. I don't fully understand how people are supposed to have one and what it feels like. My sense of self seems to be images that I get through the eyes of someone else.

    I'm feeling more and more like I can act 7 but my core is 9.


    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Interesting. That's one of your strongest arguments for being a 9 that I've read yet, actually. I thought I had you all figured out, too. Curses!

    The second paragraph could still be 7, though.
    =p


    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    How much do you relate to the level 5 E9 descriptions?
    Nine Level 5 (Average - The Level of Interpersonal Control): Active, but disengaged, unreflective, and inattentive. Do not want to be affected, so become unresponsive and complacent, walking away from problems, and "sweeping them under the rug." Thinking becomes hazy and ruminative, mostly comforting fantasies, as they begin to "tune out" reality, becoming oblivious. Emotionally indolent, unwillingness to exert self or to focus on problems: indifference.
    I don't fully know. Much of it sounds true but I'm not too sure, maybe I'm tired but I'm struggling to see how I am at my core. I believe the bolded parts ring true.

Similar Threads

  1. New and confused! Can you type me?
    By rosescarlet in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2017, 09:02 AM
  2. [Enneagram] The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  3. Newbie to typing and eager for input! Type me?
    By lace in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 10:20 PM
  4. enneagram mbti and thoughts on compatability
    By briochick in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
  5. And Here Come The Butterflies...
    By Chopsifer in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO