User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type should I consider?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5, and work out your own wing

0 0%
  • 5w4

0 0%
  • 5w6

0 0%
  • 6, and loyal like

0 0%
  • 6w5

0 0%
  • 6w7

0 0%
  • 7, and bouncyflouncy like tigger

4 25.00%
  • 7w6

1 6.25%
  • 7w8

1 6.25%
  • 8, and in control

0 0%
  • 8w7

1 6.25%
  • 8w9

0 0%
  • 9, and surfing life

3 18.75%
  • 9w8

6 37.50%
  • 9w1

1 6.25%
  • 10, you surpass enneagram

3 18.75%
  • 1, 2, 3 or 4

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I didn't even realize this was about you.

You're definitely more 7 than 9. My Mum is a 9, my bro is a 7, you're far more like him than her. You don't become completely unfocused and meandering like my mum does at all.

Retreating though through stress suggests a withdrawing type though I think 7s are capable of this as well, they avoid pain after all.
    5 3 9

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    [From quote] Sevens and Nines might seem difficult to confuse since average Sevens are the hyperactive extroverts of the Enneagram, while average Nines are obviously passive and complacent, and live at a much lower energy level than Sevens.
    If that was the way to tell them apart then 7 would be off the table, I am not high energy:

You generally make friends easily enough although you mostly don't go out of your way to demonstrate positive feelings toward others. You like crowds but sometimes feel overwhelmed by them. Sometimes you feel like you need some privacy and time for yourself. You are an active group participant but usually prefer to let someone else be the group leader. You lead a leisurely and relaxed life. You would prefer to sit back and smell the roses than indulge in high energy activities. You love bright lights and hustle and bustle. You are likely to take risks and seek thrills. You experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy.
    I'm excitable and encouragable, but not high energy or clearly extroverted. As extreme as those scores look with energy v other extraversion, it's fair.

A deeper understanding of the Nine's psyche comes from realizing that the Nine orients itself to the world by introverting on the "sensation" of possessing union with another–by introjecting another, and then idealizing that introjection. To put this in simpler terms, their sense of self comes from the emotion they feel when they sense their identification with another person, much as a pregnant woman introverts with thoughts of love for her unborn child. By talking to the child in her womb, she gains a sense of herself as a mother. In a similar way, Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.
    I had to read that a few times to get it to sink in but it does feel somewhat true for me, I don't have a strong sense of self, who I am depends on who I'm with, not because I change but because who they see me as changes my view of myself. I'm fiercely independent, but I'm also unsure of who I am unless someone else tells me.

Actually that's something I've always struggled to comprehend until now: I constantly seek reassurance, not because I have low self esteem, I don't believe I do, but because I have poor perception on who I am and need to be told again and again to understand.

Average Sevens are hyperactive, busy with too many things superficially. They dabble around to amuse themselves and to stave off boredom and anxiety. Similarly, Nines are highly intolerant of anxiety, and they stay busy to avoid it, using errands and hobbies to occupy their minds in undemanding, non-threatening ways. They want to avoid conflict or over excitement; by contrast, Sevens love excitement.
    I love excitement, and activity, I just don't create it. For one I often can't be bothered with the effort, and for two I often don't know how it would go across with others and that stops me.

Sevens become demanding and excessive and crassly materialistic as they deteriorate, while Nines become more passive, indifferent, and unresponsive as they become more unhealthy. Sevens want to be stimulated, whereas Nines want to avoid anything that would overly stimulate, much less upset, them. The essential difference is that average Nines do not want to be emotionally involved in their activities (since these can threaten their identifications), whereas Sevens want to have an increasingly high emotional charge from their activities (since they have few subjective identifications).
    When stressed I relate to excessive, materialistic, passive and unresponsive =/ I seek avoidance, the easiest way is to do it in isolation however if the opportunity to be stimulated came up I would take it as I know that when around people or activity I will recharge and leave in a better mind frame then I started with. I want an emotional high from activities, good feelings chase off the bad ones, at least for a while.

Furthermore, Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind. The Nine's desire to avoid becoming deeply involved with anything lest it arouse too high a response is the polar opposite of what we find in the average Seven.
    I like euphoria. I seek highs.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    I didn't even realize this was about you.

You're definitely more 7 than 9. My Mum is a 9, my bro is a 7, you're far more like him than her. You don't become completely unfocused and meandering like my mum does at all.

Retreating though through stress suggests a withdrawing type though I think 7s are capable of this as well, they avoid pain after all.
    Yeah, I don't think I'm unfocused, nor indirect when talking, actually I can be too direct at times. And the withdrawal thing is something both types can share in different ways, that's the reason I saw 7 fitting so well; my avoidance when something I don't like comes along rather than dealing with it asap to minimise it's impact, I stick my head in the sand and hum "lalalaa". But then it seems both types are pretty good at that tack.

Looking at something linked in elsewhere

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/9/98.html

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Stressed 9/8 tends to fall into an unselfed dream state. If the dream deepens, apathy leads to sixish suspicion, while eightish defensiveness leads to fiveish paranoia. Nine's primary defense of withdrawal is enhanced by both tendencies, and 9/8 becomes a reclusive, lazy, mistrustful, hermit.

In the worst cases, the tendency to escape by going to sleep leads to total avoidance of any kind of real interaction. Bills go unpaid, the phone rings without being answered, and the lawn goes unmowed. Somnolence leads 9/8 deeper and deeper into self-negation, resulting in a paranoid sort of comatose sloth. No one is home in the body, and the body is powered down. Can there be any life at all in such a dead state?
    That is me, in a really bad way. I can go for months without opening mail, and for years friends would pay me out about the stupidity of me owning a phone cause I never answered it. That was me in deep depression. I survived as much as I could by living in a dream state when I could.

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/7/78.html

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Under stress, 7/8 gets ever-wilder. When others fail to respond with enough enthusiasm to the high-pressure sales tactics, and the high of the latest exciting trip begins to wear off, it's time for the next wild ride. Maybe just a little bigger dose will do it. New ideas seem to erase old problems, and each one is bigger and better than the last one. If it doesn't work, forget it and move to the next grand scheme. You've got to try this, it's totally fantastic!

As the highs get higher, the lows scrape lower. But the miserable mornings are soon forgotten, because there's an even better high coming. What a fabulous idea I've got! All I need is a thousand bucks and you'll get it all back next week! But first, lets have an all-night party to celebrate! Very unbalanced 7/8 heads into ever-deeper entrapments, promising ever-greater rewards to those who will finance (or otherwise support) rapidly exploding levels of excessive indulgence. It all leads inevitably to the great crash, and utter dissipation. Fearfully, psychotic 7/8 withdraws into a shell of total escapist fantasy, depressed and lost in exhaustion. Possibly, the law is hot on the trail by now, and jail is not far away.
    That is not me.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Who are our resident forum 9s? I know @wolfy, @Udog, @redcheerio, and @MacGuffin but that's all that jumps to mind as settled on E-type. Come help me guys! What are good descriptions, or give me your own explaining how 9ness manifests.

Riva

Default Could ENTP Enneagram 9s exist?

@Kasper

This is very odd. I took an enneagram test after a very very long time today. (I dislike taking tests.) And I got enneagram 9. The second in line was enneagram 7.

I believed I misinterpreted the questions because I didn't believe enneagram 9 ENTPs could exist.

Could it, could ENTP enneagram 9s exist?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    @Kasper

This is very odd. I took an enneagram test after a very very long time today. (I dislike taking tests.) And I got enneagram 9. The second in line was enneagram 7.

I believed I misinterpreted the questions because I didn't believe enneagram 9 ENTPs could exist.

Could it, could ENTP enneagram 9s exist?
    @redcheerio is ENTP 9w8, @ThatsWhatHeSaid (who doesn't claim I or E but really should jump to the ENTP side of the fence) thinks he's a 9(w1 I think).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    [

The ones you said maybe to are interesting to me, esp that you included 9, 7 and 4 as all may be part of my tritype. What's your take based on knowing it's mine and having an understanding of how I handle conflict with the mod stuffs?
    Actually, I had no idea that stuff was yours! Just was guessing based on the pictures and what was written. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I'm guessing 7 because of these:
    On the outside I'm the responsible, mature, balanced one that can be counted on in any situation to hold things together and be adult. On the inside it's some kind of fun fantasy land where everything is mysterious, wondrous and magical, where I'm always in awe of the world and my possibilities and have no chance ever making the mistake of growing up.
    Yep... my inner world cracks me up.
    It can be disconnected from other people, society and reality at times
    7s are a part of the head triad (detachment) and even though they are considered clasically extraverted, they are Idealists who are not focused on reality as it is. 9s are Positive Outlookers like 7s, but they don't view the world in terms of potentially emotionally fulfilling possibilities that need to be manifested (chased after, whether literally or metaphorically); they simply reframe it into a place where negativity is minimized, and they are unperturbed. 7s are also part of the "aggressive" grouping (3, 7, 8) who identify with their own desires and directly pursue them. Whether or not the 7 is a true extrovert or not, they still have an essentially active way of seeing the world as opposed to the 9's very passive one.

7s appear to be moving towards people but their focus is really leaning away from them.
    9s appear to be moving away from people (withdrawing) but their focus is really leaning towards them ("merging").

Quote Originally Posted by Type 7: The Embracing Ideal-Seeker (+/0)
    The 7 embraces the world on the surface, but moves away from it underneath. So while the 7 seems focused on enjoying the real world, their mind is actually attending to a glorious fantasy of how things could be even better. Like the 1 and 4, the 7’s unbounded fantasies make the real world seem forever inadequate by comparison, leading to a chronic feeling of "something missing", or in the 7’s case, of having "missed out" on something. However, the 7’s disappointments are often hidden behind their embracing exterior, which has a large capacity for positive, appreciative emotions. Like the other ideal-seekers, the 7 is satisfied only with the best of whatever they become interested in. However, because they have so many positive feelings for so many things, they may start to define "best" in terms of quantity rather than quality. The 7’s inspiration-seeking qualities are under-recognized, because many view the 7 as a glutton, seeking merely to consume everything in sight. However, the 7’s higher aspirations are evident in creations such as Mozart’s extraordinary music, or the "Camelot" ideals and lunar mission inspired by President Kennedy.
    VS

Quote Originally Posted by Type 9: The Withdrawn Approval-Seeker. (0/+)
    The 9 moves away from others on the surface, but toward others underneath. Hence, the 9 is caught between wanting to detach from others while still wanting to identify with others in the long term. Their habitual solution is to withdraw in non-threatening ways, to allow themselves to reconnect later. Average 9s seem calm on the surface, but their underlying feelings resonate with the atmosphere that surrounds them, making 9s fairly sensitive to the emotional states of people around them. Like the 3 and 6, the 9 is prone to the mistake of unquestioningly taking on the values of others around them. In the 9, this behavior often takes the form of passive acquiescence.
    (http://www.9types.com/writeup/Theory20.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by Type 7
    7s are similarly seen as enthusiastic (p. 82, Riso). They characteristically 'escape into the limitless possibilities of imagination' (p. 275, Palmer).

It is the 7 whose attention is habitually '...attracted to fascinating ideas and dreams', making it very hard for them 'to slow the mind down in order to focus on a single point' (p. 297, Palmer).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Copied from http://www.personalitynation.com/enn...rchetypes.html

Not sure if it is right at all but thought it might be worth looking at.

This is the sort of sprite or fairy like tritype. There is a need to remain positive while still searching for meaning. The blindspot is that there is an attraction to magical thinking and missed opportunities to speak their truth so they find themselves glossing over negative feeling states in favor of something more comfortable or positive. When 4 is in charge there's a tendency to not see all the ways in which depression or sadness is evaded through this magical thinking process.

the life mission is that this is the true healer archetype. They are often found doing bodywork or other healing practices as these are the 3 types that have a desire to transform. They like to inspire people toward happiness through expressing their creativity in a peaceful non-intrusive way.

She said this is the most lyrical type, a sort of ethereal archetype (so is the 459 but it is a more withdrawn ethereal quality, almost wispy and ghost like) whereas the energy here is lighter and more impish or I think when it's a male energy you get a strong trickster archetype (like dfgray). Playful yet meaningful. Very idealistic (although not quite as idealistic as the 471) but still concerned with maintaining positivity and feelings of being up. I think Regina Spektor is an example of this archetype with 4 in charge.

I'm actually put off by the idea of being in a "healing profession", though there's a strong likelihood that 7-4-9 is my tritype. I guess it's a reluctance to mix energies with society at large, or something of that nature. I wouldn't want to be in a profession where I constantly had to touch people. I'm not a cold person, I just wouldn't want a day filled with people-touching, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Oh, also, I would have to say "reluctant to show anything negative" is not such a likely descriptor for me.
    Katherine said the 479 (749, 947) all took some kind of issue with the term "healer", even if they were in healing professions or were attracted to it. She was wondering what it was about that term that was off-putting, so what you've shared above is interesting (from a 7 perspective).

She said this is the gentle soul tritype that has a healing presence on others whether or not they intend to so when she says healer this is what she means as opposed to being vocationally attracted to the healing arts (although this is very common with this tritype).

I think for me when I was deciding between 479 and 478 I realized that my tendency to push, and shake up overrides my tendency to calm down. Although I can do both. I ultimately didn't end up going into counseling because I am a.) too impatient b.) too bossy and directive and c.) need to have more freedom to invite change than that discipline can allow.

So while I consider myself attracted to healing, and am interested in healing arts (energy healing, reiki, etc). I want to manifest it through a more intense and provocative way. Something that shakes people up in order to invite growth and development.

When 8 replaces the 9 you get more of a sense of groundedness or at least more practicality and realism that can seem a little harder edged and less lyrical.

For me there's less of a tendency toward optimism for the sake of being positive or keeping it light, although I don't like for things to get too serious, but if things need to be serious than I'm willing to go there. It's more of an if it's ugly, let's look at it. I actually struggle with that within myself; needing to see it if it's ugly (4 and 5 wing) with a propensity toward evasiveness and denial (with the 7 and 8) it's a strange mixture. Katherine says with 9 it (whatever "it" may be) must be transmuted into something lyrical, beautiful or playful to be tolerable.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Who are our resident forum 9s? I know wolfy... (some others) but that's all that jumps to mind as settled on E-type. Come help me guys! What are good descriptions, or give me your own explaining how 9ness manifests.
    I relate to eight as a motivation and I relate to gut types. I don't, or didn't feel like I was a head type like a seven when I was looking into enneagram. I am not bossy like the expectation of a 8 type. I am more your everyday guy, the kind of guy that might like a pie at a rugby league game. It was more a method of subtraction than, 'this is it!' for me. I just posted this too which seems related to this in my mind.

I also liked that Dirty Harry was 9w8.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I was thinking Enneagram 7, likely ENFP.
    9s are more stable and linear(on the outside) than this.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------