User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default Some Simple Advice On How To Self-Type

    A. Find out if you are an Introvert or an Extravert.
    B. Find out if you are a Sensor or an Intuitive.
    C. Find out if you are a Thinker or a Feeler.
    D. Find out if you are a Judger or a Perceiver.

    Trying to find out if you are an Ni, an Fe, etc., is trying to do too much at once, because you're trying to find out if you are an Introvert AND an Intuitive, or a Feeler AND an Extravert, all in one swell foop.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #2
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    The problem is some people don't know where they stand on one or more of these letters. They have read the descriptions over and over again and the tests keep showing 50/50 on a certain dimension.

    Sometimes its just poor self-awareness and not being honest enough with oneself. But not always. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and there are various reasons why self-typing can be difficult.

    What you say about function is half right. If you're looking at what your dominant function is, then if it's Ni, you must be an introvert AND intuitive for example. If you're just looking at someone who prefers to use this function, things get trickier.

    Let's say you're deciding between INTP and INTJ. INTP has Ti Ne Si Fe in that order. INTJ has Ni Te Fi Se in that order. Someone might be drawn to the Ne description more than the Ni one. The person may not be a dominant Ne but someone who prefers to use Ne. Which is more suggestive of INTP than INTJ.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  3. #3
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Trying to find out if you are an Ni, an Fe, etc., is trying to do too much at once, because you're trying to find out if you are an Introvert AND an Intuitive, or a Feeler AND an Extravert, all in one swell foop.
    i didn't realize my real type until i read about Ne - i'd typed as INFP prior to that, which didn't feel quite right. to all accounts i am a quasi-introvert, socially. i know you have been into the getting-back-to-the-4-letter-code recently but personally i think i didn't gain much from the MBTI until i learned the cognitive functions. the concept of "Ne" opened a world to me.

    personally i wonder if it would be best to learn the structure of the functions first, then try typing yourself via 4-letter code, then using the functions to fill in gaps that don't make sense. like @SuchIrony said, you could have figured out INT but be having trouble with P and J; understanding Ne and Ni could make that distinction for you.

    without the cognitive functions i don't think MBTI typology tells us much we don't already know.

    ENFP = scattered abstract-thinking sensitive late person... (duh, any of my friends could attest to that)

    versus

    NeFiTeSi = outer-world scanner of abstract patterns, inner valuer of humanistic worth, need to extravert logic, much of worldview depends on assumption of lasting meaning... (much more useful in understanding my reactions and interactions)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    The problem is some people don't know where they stand on one or more of these letters. They have read the descriptions over and over again and the tests keep showing 50/50 on a certain dimension.

    Sometimes its just poor self-awareness and not being honest enough with oneself. But not always. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and there are various reasons why self-typing can be difficult.

    What you say about function is half right. If you're looking at what your dominant function is, then if it's Ni, you must be an introvert AND intuitive for example. If you're just looking at someone who prefers to use this function, things get trickier.

    Let's say you're deciding between INTP and INTJ. INTP has Ti Ne Si Fe in that order. INTJ has Ni Te Fi Se in that order. Someone might be drawn to the Ne description more than the Ni one. The person may not be a dominant Ne but someone who prefers to use Ne. Which is more suggestive of INTP than INTJ.
    The server logged me off without my knowledge. So when I tried to post a response I was forced to log in again. After inputting my password my browser then brought me to a blank page and my response was lost. (I don't know how many times something like that has happened on this particular forum.)

    Since I am tired of putting forth thought and energy into responding to a broken forum, I will just summarize my response. You wrote, "INTP has Ti Ne Si Fe in that order." That is a theoretical representation of an ideal type. And according to Jung it is not wrong but simplistic. Jung stated that both (ir)rational functions could serve as auxiliary functions because they are not unconscious. So in actuality my INTP function order may be something like Ti (Ne/Ni) Si Fe, while the unconscious function will remain in the inferior spot.

    Edit - I should add that the tertiary is also in an unconscious fixed compensating position.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i didn't realize my real type until i read about Ne - i'd typed as INFP prior to that, which didn't feel quite right. to all accounts i am a quasi-introvert, socially. i know you have been into the getting-back-to-the-4-letter-code recently but personally i think i didn't gain much from the MBTI until i learned the cognitive functions. the concept of "Ne" opened a world to me.

    personally i wonder if it would be best to learn the structure of the functions first, then try typing yourself via 4-letter code, then using the functions to fill in gaps that don't make sense. like @SuchIrony said, you could have figured out INT but be having trouble with P and J; understanding Ne and Ni could make that distinction for you.

    without the cognitive functions i don't think MBTI typology tells us much we don't already know.

    ENFP = scattered abstract-thinking sensitive late person... (duh, any of my friends could attest to that)

    versus

    NeFiTeSi = outer-world scanner of abstract patterns, inner valuer of humanistic worth, need to extravert logic, much of worldview depends on assumption of lasting meaning... (much more useful in understanding my reactions and interactions)
    This method of function analysis operates under the assumption that NiTe winds up with a J at the end. And in that case, the J merely has symbolic import for retaining the old MBTI nomenclature. But there is no reason to assume that NiTe = INTJ, none whatsoever. There is no reason given, and if you'll notice, there is never any reasoning offered in its support.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i didn't realize my real type until i read about Ne - i'd typed as INFP prior to that, which didn't feel quite right. to all accounts i am a quasi-introvert, socially. i know you have been into the getting-back-to-the-4-letter-code recently but personally i think i didn't gain much from the MBTI until i learned the cognitive functions. the concept of "Ne" opened a world to me.

    personally i wonder if it would be best to learn the structure of the functions first, then try typing yourself via 4-letter code, then using the functions to fill in gaps that don't make sense. like @SuchIrony said, you could have figured out INT but be having trouble with P and J; understanding Ne and Ni could make that distinction for you.

    without the cognitive functions i don't think MBTI typology tells us much we don't already know.

    ENFP = scattered abstract-thinking sensitive late person... (duh, any of my friends could attest to that)

    versus

    NeFiTeSi = outer-world scanner of abstract patterns, inner valuer of humanistic worth, need to extravert logic, much of worldview depends on assumption of lasting meaning... (much more useful in understanding my reactions and interactions)
    That is your personal interpretation of how the two systems describe type. When I first found my type I had no Jungian function analysis and I did just fine despite the fact that my S and N scores were exactly equal. All I had to do to solve this problem was read and compare the two type descriptions. And those descriptions were much longer than "scattered abstract-thinking sensitive late person."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #7
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    I agree with the sentiment in the OP overall. At least, most folks who use MBTI will roughly place themselves in each dichotomy to get a scope of where they might "fit in," realize that there are other preferences, and move on. That's enough to at least get the message that people have different styles of thinking.

    The only thing that's absolutely certain for me is that I'm intuition-dominant, which tells me roughly what my primary Big Five trait (openness) does. And I'm perfectly fine with that answer myself.

    We should ask ourselves: How useful, powerful, and accurate is the assumption that we have a locked-in cognitive function order, anyway? Is a strict ordering of functions (especially past "dominant" and "auxiliary") necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    That is a theoretical representation of an ideal.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    The server logged me off without my knowledge. So when I tried to post a response I was forced to log in again. After inputting my password my browser then brought me to a blank page and my response was lost. (I don't know how many times something like that has happened on this particular forum.)
    I have a habit of a quick "Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, End" once in a while to save my post in the clipboard in case either this forum or I mess up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    I think people should do whatever works for them. If dichotomies and descriptions give people that "aha" moment, that's what they should use.

    For me, especially over time and understanding, functions have given me a very good understanding of myself and how to read others, so I enjoy the functions, that's how I like thinking about personality.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I agree with the sentiment in the OP overall. At least, most folks who use MBTI will roughly place themselves in each dichotomy to get a scope of where they might "fit in," realize that there are other preferences, and move on. That's enough to at least get the message that people have different styles of thinking.
    That is one of the most important things that has come out of typology. So often people blunder terribly by operating under the assumption that everybody thinks alike, i.e., "the same as me."

    A friend I worked with (ISFP probably) was contracting labor out to people and (as many contractors do) paying no attention to the needs of the customers. His reasoning to me stated that if a customer is unhappy with the job then they can have a nice chat about it, come to an agreement and thereby solve the problem. After all, that's what he would do in the same situation!

    Unfortunately, this customer waited a few weeks to say anything; but in the meantime he was doing a slow burn until he was finally driven into such a fury that his "nice chat" turned out to be a raging flood of verbal abuse.

    With this ISFP I learned a lot - about how NOT to do things.

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The only thing that's absolutely certain for me is that I'm intuition-dominant, which tells me roughly what my primary Big Five trait (openness) does. And I'm perfectly fine with that answer myself.

    We should ask ourselves: How useful, powerful, and accurate is the assumption that we have a locked-in cognitive function order, anyway? Is a strict ordering of functions (especially past "dominant" and "auxiliary") necessary?
    I don't take the word "tertiary" literally. I use it because others know what I'm talking about. So as far as ordering goes, I don't care if it's third place or last place. I am primarily interested in what it does - its function.

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I have a habit of a quick "Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, End" once in a while to save my post in the clipboard in case either this forum or I mess up.
    I've done things like that. At one time I also had a keystroke logger in my pc for the purpose of saving my text automatically just in case. In another situation, I had this horrible problem of accidentally hitting the menu key which is just below the right shift. In combination with other key strokes I would lose all my text without knowing what happened! I eventually learned that ctrl+z can bring all my hard work back to the screen.
    Last edited by Mal12345; 12-18-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think people should do whatever works for them. If dichotomies and descriptions give people that "aha" moment, that's what they should use.

    For me, especially over time and understanding, functions have given me a very good understanding of myself and how to read others, so I enjoy the functions, that's how I like thinking about personality.
    Functions give an added dimension to the MBTI. But note my caveats above. There is no reason to think that NiTe is equivalent to INTJ. It is only an assumption.

    I have a hunch that most people are turning to the internet to find information on this for free, and they just get what they pay for.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone please give me advice on how to find my type?
    By Sweetheart in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 09:02 PM
  2. [MBTItm] SPs, do you have any advice for an NF on how to better enjoy the "now"?
    By TheEmeraldCanopy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO