User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Jung stated that both (ir)rational functions could serve as auxiliary functions because they are not unconscious. So in actuality my INTP function order may be something like Ti (Ne/Ni) Si Fe, while the unconscious function will remain in the inferior spot.

Edit - I should add that the tertiary is also in an unconscious fixed compensating position.
    What do you mean by 'both (ir)rational functions' and 'unconscious fixed compensating position' ?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

There is no reason to think that NiTe is equivalent to INTJ. It is only an assumption.
    NiTe=NT
    Lead function is introverted=I
    Judging function is extraverted=J

Is it only the J part that is the problem for you or the whole thing?

It's only an assumption that a chocolate chip cookie has chocolate in it...

Going just by each dichotemy is a great place to start. By the time you're questioning your type on here it's assumed that you've already tried at least a little of doing that I did and advocated just "going by the letters" my first couple years here and it works but there is a ton that I was missing It's sort of a colorless approach... thinking of things in functions can be the thing that adds the color (And for the rest, insert Skylight's story but with a T). Determining dominant function is sort of like trying to figure out two things at once but that's also part of the beauty of it because it is finding both of these things out through a unified concept. It's really not that complicated if you don't make it so.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    NiTe=NT
    Lead function is introverted=I
    Judging function is extraverted=J

Is it only the J part that is the problem for you or the whole thing?

It's only an assumption that a chocolate chip cookie has chocolate in it...
    That is a false analogy. MBTI and Jung have two different theories. There's no question that the MBTI is based on assumption. The NiTe = INTJ equation shows that the assumption lies in adding the last letter, whether it is P or J.

So following your analogy, we can safely assuming that INTJ has a J in it, just as a chocolate chip cookie has chocolate in it. But we can't safely make the same assumption for NiTe because, if you'll notice, it has neither a J nor a P in it.

Therefore, someone needs to explain exactly how, in theory, NiTe is equivalent to INTJ.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

garbage

MBTI and Jung have two different theories.
    This is another thing that needs to be said in virtually every thread on these forums. Please repeat this until you are blue in the face, because it truly deserves to be repeated over and over.

--

At the very least, if we can't make that strong of a statement, we can say the following. Jung, MBTI, Socionics, Kiersey, etc. use similar labeling schemes but ultimately describe fairly different perspectives. They might hint at similar sets of traits, but they sure don't describe them from the same point of view.

How exactly do we reconcile one system's use of a sliding scale for four dichotomies with another system's rigid ordering of cognitive functions? We can either perform some insane mental gymnastics to mash them together, or we can accept that they are different perspectives that might have just a bit of overlap.

Most who delve heavy into typology will treat the MBTI (that is, the instrument) as a 'lie to children,' so to speak, that ought to be discarded eventually and replaced with a more detailed model. But how useful is our more sophisticated model if it winds up further muddying the waters? Sometimes, as demonstrated by the OP, it's worth taking a step back when this happens.

Scientifically, it's all bollocks until we've got some validation anyway; until then, we should just embrace whatever perspective is meaningful or useful for us. (Some incontrovertible, conclusive EEGs would be nice. A man can dream...)

SingSmileShine

That's generally a good way, OP, to find out. I've found it's accurate for all of the people I've secretly typed in my mind. x3