• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

help me type this boy

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Big time Jungian analysis fail. I'm not saying it's your fault, it's Jung's.

Your description sounds exactly like an ISTJ. You assume that an interest in intellectual subjects automatically means Ti. But, if you actually talk to an ISTJ, you will find that they have a relative interest in religious and similar topics. Also, the part about seeming extraverted is an ISTJ trait that I have picked up on in the past.

i don't think he uses ti just because he likes intellectual subjects. he likes figuring things out and breaking them apart and arguing them. he's said that he doesn't like telling old stories or thinking about the past too much because it gets in the way of the future, really hard to imagine an si-dom saying that. and temperament-wise, sp is a much, much better fit than sj. he's not stable or dependable or traditional, etc etc etc.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I chose an ISTJ at random on the above thread that I linked and searched his posts for something that demonstrates what I mean. Here you see Adrift quoting something about ghosts:

This is James Van Praagh's definition of a ghost, from his book "Ghosts Among Us":

"Ghosts are forms of energy, just as humans are forms of energy. They appear quite like their physical bodies. When I see ghosts, I rarely see fragments of a person, like a head or an arm, floating around in space. I see neither a mass of swirling, white clouds, nor a white sheet with two holes cut out where eyes would supposedly be. I always see full human forms, complete with hair, facial features and clothing. Most of the time, ghosts appear youthful, healthy, and in the prime of life."

Hope I didn't violate any copyright laws with that quote.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't get where you're going with this, i understand that istj's are capable of being intellectual, i was never arguing with that. i'm very sure that he's not an istj though, he behaves nothing like one. he probably only scored that close on j vs p because he didn't take the best test, i found a short one for him because i knew he wouldn't be super interested in it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't think he uses ti just because he likes intellectual subjects. he likes figuring things out and breaking them apart and arguing them. he's said that he doesn't like telling old stories or thinking about the past too much because it gets in the way of the future, really hard to imagine an si-dom saying that. and temperament-wise, sp is a much, much better fit than sj. he's not stable or dependable or traditional, etc etc etc.

Lots of things are hard to imagine, that's why we shouldn't try to prove or disprove things that way. I see you will stick to your guns and move from Jung to temperaments and then who knows where. I'm sure the guy is a mixed bag of traits and temperaments, but your descriptions practically shout ISTJ to me.

R

Riva

Lots of things are hard to imagine, that's why we shouldn't try to prove or disprove things that way. I see you will stick to your guns and move from Jung to temperaments and then who knows where. I'm sure the guy is a mixed bag of traits and temperaments, but your descriptions practically shout ISTJ to me.

Her description screams ISTP. Not ISTJ.

I am in too much of a hurry to go in to details right now. Maybe you care to elaborate why you think so?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

what "shouts istj"? i'd be open to changing my mind (i guess) if you had a convincing argument for it, but you haven't actually given any reasons.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Her description screams ISTP. Not ISTJ.

I am in too much of a hurry to go in to details right now. Maybe you care to elaborate why you think so?

I'm guessing it has to do with Jung and not with reality. Jung was very far removed from reality, his only real contact with people occurred in a tightly controlled and unnatural setting of his own creation.

As for myself, I'm going by type descriptions and personal observations. Descriptions say that the ISTJ likes to pursue certain intellectual categories of thought, and my personal experience with ISTJs backs that up.

R

Riva

I'm guessing it has to do with Jung and not with reality. Jung was very far removed from reality, his only real contact with people occurred in a tightly controlled and unnatural setting of his own creation.

As for myself, I'm going by type descriptions and personal observations. Descriptions say that the ISTJ likes to pursue certain intellectual categories of thought, and my personal experience with ISTJs backs that up.

Why do they say that ISTPs don't like to pursue the same?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do they say that ISTPs don't like to pursue the same?

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTP.html

Doing their own thing is an ISTP trait, and that sounds like her friend. But they have an adventuresome spirit, "they are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc." Jung and MBTI simply don't correlate very well.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Doing their own thing is an ISTP trait, and that sounds like her friend. But they have an adventuresome spirit, "they are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc." Jung and MBTI simply don't correlate very well.

he is adventurous. i didn't know being adventurous and intellectual were mutually exclusive.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he is adventurous. i didn't know being adventurous and intellectual were mutually exclusive.

When I was a child I was a little of both, but not since then. The ISTP isn't described as deep or intellectual. The ISTJ has moments of intellectual questioning or pondering, but I would not call them intellectual and neither would they. I thought the link to the "Intellectual" ISTJ thread was informative.

R

Riva

when I was a child I was a little of both, but not since then. The ISTP isn't described as deep or intellectual. The ISTJ has moments of intellectual questioning or pondering, but I would not call them intellectual and neither would they. I thought the link to the "Intellectual" ISTJ thread was informative.

On the contrary ISTPs tend to be more intellectually curious (a better word is out there somewhere) than ISTJs. This is due to them being Ti doms. Imagine analyzing, breaking every little thing (tangible and intangible) a part and trying to categorize them? This is what IxTPs usually do. I don't believe it makes them feel very jolly though. (Of course INTPs are enjoy this a bit more than ISTPs, due to having Ne as the secondary, since it deals with the more imaginative and intangible than Se.) And imagine what this (Ti) would do to one if it is combined with very strong Ni. (ISTPs tertiary is Ni.) It would make them focus more on the intangible things they encounter and imagine. Making them more introspective, deep and intellectual.

Ic ould do a comparison between ISTJ functions with the ISTPs' I described above. But that won't be needed I believe, since the point I was trying to make was that you are so very wrong about ISTPs.

I am disappointed that you took the descriptions too literally. Being a member of a forum for this long should make you realize that most description about S types are sickeningly patronizing.

Urgh!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the contrary ISTPs tend to be more intellectually curious (a better word is out there somewhere) than ISTJs. This is due to them being Ti doms. Imagine analyzing, breaking every little thing (tangible and intangible) a part and trying to categorize them? This is what IxTPs usually do. I don't believe it makes them feel very jolly though. (Of course INTPs are enjoy this a bit more than ISTPs, due to having Ne as the secondary, since it deals with the more imaginative and intangible than Se.) And imagine what this (Ti) would do to one if it is combined with very strong Ni. (ISTPs tertiary is Ni.) It would make them focus more on the intangible things they encounter and imagine. Making them more introspective, deep and intellectual.

Ic ould do a comparison between ISTJ functions with the ISTPs' I described above. But that won't be needed I believe, since the point I was trying to make was that you are so very wrong about ISTPs.

I am disappointed that you took the descriptions too literally. Being a member of a forum for this long should make you realize that most description about S types are sickeningly patronizing.

Urgh!

"Intellectual curiosity" for the ISTP means tearing things apart to see how they work (systems analyst). But that's not exactly what is meant by the term "intellectual" which involves things of the mind (e.g., philosophy) not things in reality (e.g., engines), insofar as things of the mind have no practical purpose.

As usual, you're just saying that an ISTP doesn't literally have to enjoy riding motorcycles. I've been around this forum long enough to know that this is an ancient criticism. But I've also been around long enough to know that this forum isn't perfect, that it doesn't have all the answers, and that it is simply flying with mainstream thinking which assumes, without any proof whatsoever, that Jung and MBTI correlate, as if to say TiSe is equal to ISTP. I have found that Jungian analysis is complex enough, with its tertiaries and inferiors on top of all else, to "prove" any type call you can imagine. Also, functions, as mental processes, do not necessarily correlate with human behavior. But behavior is all we have to work with when typing others.

I on the other hand am confident in typing my mechanic as an ISTP based on comparing behaviors with type descriptions. He not only has a knack for mechanics, as I do for intellectually based systems, but he also shows great facility with engine-driven machinery. He started driving as soon as he was old enough to reach the pedals. He is also very anecdotal and loves to tell stories about the cars he has worked on. But then there are also the individual letters to consider. He's not particularly outgoing but mostly keeps to himself, he has a very concrete method of focusing, he doesn't have any Feeling traits but prefers thinking, and he is a classic Perceiver according to all the "patronizing" descriptions.

But if I were to research the Jungian type descriptions in making my type call, I would be quickly lost in a maze of obscure and antiquated notions from early 20th century Germany written by a guy who only saw people as patients, and from the perspective of his analysts couch and not in reality.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
so I've been dating this guy about 3 months, and I have guesses for what his type could be but I'm not 100%

- comes off as pretty sociable and charming, but calls himself shy and socially retarded
- brutally honest and has a sick sense of humor
- was a bad student and didn't finish community college but very smart and knows a lot about certain subjects (especially science and religion). loves scrabble and word games. and jeopardy.
- likes fixing stuff, has worked in lots of hands on kind of jobs.
- calls himself a hoarder, collects a lot of weird little things and has about 1000 VHS tapes
- has travelled a lot for someone his age/income
- has experimented with pretty much every drug
- will try and read a lot into the things people say, overanalyzes
- has gotten into a lot of physical fights (not so much anymore)
- likes being in charge
- pretty lazy and disorganized

I have one ISTP friend like this..^^^

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do have an ISTJ friend, but she pretty organized and not lazy, very detail oriented person and follow routines.

Yes, but then there is the question of how "intellectual" an ISTJ can be, whether occasionally pursuing religious questions or whatever.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Yes, but then there is the question of how "intellectual" an ISTJ can be, whether occasionally pursuing religious questions or whatever.
She's pretty clever and religious, I'm not a religious person like her.

I have two ISTP friend, not a close friendship actually, and one ISTJ (my roommate)..I know their differences based from my own observation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's pretty clever and religious, I'm not a religious person like her.

I mean, does she ask questions of a religious nature. Does she show any intellectual curiosity, and by that I mean concerning things more of the mind as in religious theory, etc. And does she show any curiosity about human nature?