• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It's a "type my friend" thread! Lots of info.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, that's good. All I meant was that if you got INFJ from OP and humor solidified your answer, it's fine. If she was an ISFJ and a sudden INFJ from the blog entry, I would be skeptical.

I don't think you read my first comment all the way through, or perhaps not at all. Because I wrote "Your friend is clearly an INFJ" right off the top, and after this I wrote INFJ and iNtuitive a few times when commenting on parts of the OP.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She seems ISFJ. (I was going to say ESFJ originally... she kinda reminds me of my ESFJ friend who is also brilliant.)

As for INFJ, does she obsess about abstract theories? Ni-doms are usually pretty easy to spot if you get them going about something theoretical.

Um, she doesn't go trailing off ad nauseum like some of the people in here- not intellectual in the sense of just getting lost down and down deeper into the theoretical abyss. It's more like some personal stuff that comes up in casual conversation like how the educational system could go, people analysis topics, (not gossip, just like talking about how people's interactions go or how we think they got that way- well like a regular type c conversation minus types pretty much.) Food and recipes, our family dynamics, etc. Lighthearted humor is laced through the whole thing, (because we're good friends of course.) Well, we pretty much talk about anything and everything. I wouldn't put it in the category of super physical- like "what we did today". Nor super out there either, though it can get very physical or super out there depending on the circumstance. It's hard to say again because it's like I've known her for so long we can talk about anything. Heavy duty on the people psychology.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Um, she doesn't go trailing off ad nauseum like some of the people in here- not intellectual in the sense of just getting lost down and down deeper into the theoretical abyss. It's more like some personal stuff that comes up in casual conversation like how the educational system could go, people analysis topics, (not gossip, just like talking about how people's interactions go or how we think they got that way- well like a regular type c conversation minus types pretty much.) Food and recipes, our family dynamics, etc. Lighthearted humor is laced through the whole thing, (because we're good friends of course.) Well, we pretty much talk about anything and everything. I wouldn't put it in the category of super physical- like what we did today. Nor super out there either, though it can get very physical or super out there depending on the circumstance. It's hard to say again because it's like I've known her for so long we can talk about anything. Heavy duty on the people psychology.

And Type c conversation means, somewhat depressed?

"how the educational system could go" - possibilities "coulds" = intuition.

redacted

Um, she doesn't go trailing off ad nauseum like some of the people in here- not intellectual in the sense of just getting lost down and down deeper into the theoretical abyss. It's more like some personal stuff that comes up in casual conversation like how the educational system could go, people analysis topics, (not gossip, just like talking about how people's interactions go or how we think they got that way- well like a regular type c conversation minus types pretty much.) Food and recipes, our family dynamics, etc. Lighthearted humor is laced through the whole thing, (because we're good friends of course.) Well, we pretty much talk about anything and everything. I wouldn't put it in the category of super physical- like what we did today. Nor super out there either, though it can get very physical or super out there depending on the circumstance. It's hard to say again because it's like I've known her for so long we can talk about anything. Heavy duty on the people psychology.

That doesn't sound particularly Ni to me (I'm sticking to ISFJ as my guess), but it's really hard to tell from written summaries. I'd be skeptical of anyone's analysis here if I were you.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That doesn't sound particularly Ni to me (I'm sticking to ISFJ as my guess), but it's really hard to tell from written summaries. I'd be skeptical of anyone's analysis here if I were you.

Yeah. It's like I know too much and you guys know too little, so it's hard for anyone to be objective. I'm still on the ISFJ side of the line, too.. It's usually what I land on at the end of the day. (Really not being influenced too much at all, I wish I could have someone who just knew her, but maybe not as close as I do, have a guess.) I've considered ENFJ for her too before.

redacted

And Type c conversation means, somewhat depressed?

"how the educational system could go" - possibilities "coulds" = intuition.

Who doesn't use "coulds" when they talk? I agree that the actual usage of could is an instance of intuition, but that doesn't really help determine preference. Like, if I were to say "did you see that?" I would be using sensing, but that doesn't help determine whether I'm a sensor.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Including your own "guess"?

I am completely skeptical now of the function analysis around here. I have played along with this forum for months now, after being slapped in the face with this JCF crap at the very beginning and told, in effect, to "toe the line" and "get on the same page as everybody else."

Sorry, but it's crap. Complete crap.

Here's the lesson I have learned. Not everything you read will be covered by JCF types. Most of it, indeed is not. Usually someone comes across a traditionalist type and declares Si, as if this has anything to do with Jungianism.

What I am finding, and have found over the months, is that the original MBTI is the superior system for determining type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who doesn't use "coulds" when they talk? I agree that the actual usage of could is an instance of intuition, but that doesn't really help determine preference. Like, if I were to say "did you see that?" I would be using sensing, but that doesn't help determine whether I'm a sensor.

It is just a small piece of the evidence I have presented, which you didn't read.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. It's like I know too much and you guys know too little, so it's hard for anyone to be objective. I'm still on the ISFJ side of the line, too.. It's usually what I land on at the end of the day. I've considered ENFJ for her too before.

I've considered ENFJ a bit but she seems on the introverted side.

redacted

Yeah. It's like I know too much and you guys know too little, so it's hard for anyone to be objective. I'm still on the ISFJ side of the line, too.. It's usually what I land on at the end of the day. I've considered ENFJ for her too before.

I struggled a lot with my ESFJ friend's typing as well as my ESFP friend. I think deep down I have a bias towards typing people as Ns if I have really good conversations with them. I had to make sure I wasn't mistyping them as Ns just because they were smart AND I had to make sure I wasn't overcompensation for my tendency to mistype smart people as Ns by typing them as Ss.

redacted

Including your own "guess"?

Of course! I am part of "anyone", aren't I?

It is just a small piece of the evidence I have presented, which you didn't read.

No, I read it. I just think things that both types do all the time aren't good for distinguishing between them. It seemed like most of your points were in this category.

My points aren't great either, but I made clear that it's not obvious and I'm not sure.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course! I am part of "anyone", aren't I?

No, I read it. I just think things that both types do all the time aren't good for distinguishing between them. It seemed like most of your points were in this category.

My points aren't great either, but I made clear that it's not obvious and I'm not sure.

Wow. Just wow.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm... I have a feeling that thinking on it isn't going to help me much in this case. I've thought it through probably too much at this point. My normal motto is just to give them S because it's more common, actually. Maybe someday she'll take the test again (she never actually told me her results, and never took the facebook one where results were publicized.) or maybe I'll have some kind of epiphany.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm... I have a feeling that thinking on it isn't going to help me much in this case. I've thought it through probably too much at this point. My normal motto is just to give them S because it's more common, actually. Maybe someday she'll take the test again (she never actually told me her results, and never took the facebook one where results were publicized.) or maybe I'll have some kind of epiphany.

Just wow again...

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Your friend is clearly an INFJ" right off the top, and after this I wrote INFJ and iNtuitive a few times when commenting on parts of the OP.

No one can "know" what type her friend is, from that description. An educated guess is all we have. 1) We have not read anything the friend has written, and even if we have, we can't "know" for a fact what type she is, irl. 2) We have never met the friend, or observed her. To believe that one can know clearly what type a person is from the description shortnsweet gave is absurd.

I'm glad shortnsweet is the questioning type, and she observes and questions before assuming she is correct.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No one can "know" what type her friend is, from that description. An educated guess is all we have. 1) We have not read anything the friend has written,

Yes we have.

and even if we have, we can't "know" for a fact what type she is, irl. 2) We have never met the friend, or observed her. To believe that one can know clearly what type a person is from the description shortnsweet gave is absurd.

I'm glad shortnsweet is the questioning type, and she observes and questions before assuming she is correct.

According to Shortnsweet, the OP description should be good enough, and she complained when I used the blog entry also (as if this was too much unnecessary info).

My goal here is not to help anybody determine her type, but to practice good old-fashioned MBTI typing. Sure, I would like to be confronted with less knee-jerk skepticism, as if to say my call is wrong simply because I did not throw out all the JCF mumbo-jumbo that is rammed down everybody's throats nowadays.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes we have.

According to Shortnsweet, the OP description should be good enough, and she complained when I used the blog entry also (as if this was too much unnecessary info).

My goal here is not to help anybody determine her type, but to practice good old-fashioned MBTI typing. Sure, I would like to be confronted with less knee-jerk skepticism, as if to say my call is wrong simply because I did not throw out all the JCF mumbo-jumbo that is rammed down everybody's throats nowadays.

Ok, you are right about one little thing, I just saw the blog. Big deal. My point being, that to believe with absolute certainty that you know this person well enough to know for sure what type they are is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with knee-jerk, so don't assume. It has to do with realizing I must observe anything more intensively than this thread can offer to "know for sure" as you determine.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, you are right about one little thing, I just saw the blog. Big deal. My point being, that to believe with absolute certainty that you know this person well enough to know for sure what type they are is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with knee-jerk, so don't assume. It has to do with realizing I must observe anything more intensively than this thread can offer to "know for sure" as you determine.

I wasn't talking about your jerking knee, so don't assume!

But since this is an internet forum, I'm taking a stand on most things. I don't usually do that, it's just the nature of this forum beast.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't talking about your jerking knee, so don't assume!

I never did.

My point being, that acting as if you are right about something you can't possibly know for sure, as in this situation, is ridiculous.

End of story.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never did.

My point being, that acting as if you are right about something you can't possibly know for sure, as in this situation, is ridiculous.

End of story.

And why, pray tell, should I be different from most everybody else? Tell me. Please.