• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type this non-J

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm trying to find my girlfriend's type, as there's something that doesn't quite match my idea of an ISTP. I'll go by dichotomies.

I/E:
She's rather outgoing, but not talkative at all. She doesn't "fear" talking one bit, actually she's quite direct in her opinions, and says she doesn't care what people think of her. This seems true, but not to the extreme. She feels rather OK to talk to anyone she feels like talking to, with no social phobias or such. She acts in a very calm and a collected way in public, taking her time with anyone she talks with. Sometimes she says the amount of people present makes her anxious, tho she works at events having about 1-5000 attendance. I think it's about how tightly packed the crowd is at any one time. She doesn't think of her as someone who particularly likes people.

S/N:
Owns books about philosophy, shark diving, religion, fuzzy logic, etc. Likes to tell esoteric information at times, like that of Martin Luther having drunk too much bock beer before publishing his 95 thesis. Has enlightening information to challenge the popular opinion in most topics. Has her facts set straight. Doesn't judge informational issues by appearances or emotional aspects, but by facts and information from reliable sources, like books. Jokes about having been nerdish at times. Doesn't start conversations about theories. Doesn't often immediately recognize how my topics relate to the topic at hand, demanding me to explain in detail. Doesn't think of herself as someone intelligent, tho she most surely is. Appreciates weird, off-the wall humor, strange connections between topics, and macaber, misanthropical humor.

F/T:
Doesn't think of her as someone who decides by their "head". Seems to care a lot about people by one-on-one basis. Usually deals with people with a very emotionally detached way in public, although never in a rude or harsh way. Tends towards everything emotional with a trusted person - attachment, sharing, cute things (sometimes with a tongue-in-the-cheek fashion), giving, appreciation, closeness, and seems to be very much in touch with her feelings. Cares a lot about her parents and extended family. Physical and action-orientated in her display of emotions (as well as otherwise). Likes to express her feelings in writing or with physical actions, rather than directly in a verbal manner.

J/P:
Doesn't believe in planning. Her idea of planning is to restrict oneself to a worse option, should a better option appear somewhere. She thinks of herself as a go-with-the-flow person, and someone who likes spontaneous actions and ideas on the spur of the moment, tho her physical language isn't spontaneous at all. She seems very much OK with most of the changes in plans, with a can-do attitude with mostly any situation.

Analysis:
It was long, yeah. What I found from writing was strong Fi and low Fe, and her being a strong perceiver - strong Se, Si, I'd guess. Perhaps a bit low Ne for not making the intuitive leaps in discussions? With no strong weird personal convictions, I'd say low Ni, right? ;) For being such a person strongly grounded in facts and reality, in a mostly emotionally detached manner, I'd guess very strong Ti. I can't quite distinguish the difference between Se and Te, I guess both regard doing things with the external world, other in an impulsive manner and other with a plan.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have sometimes made a decision where I've allowed heart to rule head. However, the fact that I can remember each of the times I've done that in all my life, and count them on one hand, and that each one was a conscious effort and the decision to do so was arrived at by intellectually deciding it was the best thing to do... all gives me away as a Thinker, I'd say.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok, I'm not seeing her decide with her heart AGAINST her better knowledge, at least not for a long time. Perhaps it's her spontaneity in action, and then its just natural to follow heart in some issues.. like spontaneous behavior and just enjoying one's time. Still I find it hard to solve.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I asked Dave to type her in this thread,

How can I recognize if my gf is an ISTP, I've thought of that or INTP :)

What signs should I go looking for?:popc1:

*insert a number of posts in here*

and finally,

My vote is for ISTP. Although I could be wrong.

just that no others participated in the typing :) It was a wrong thread for it anyway ;) But I answered some of Dave's questions in there.

Help me out, will you? :)

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Seems ISTP, probably. You could just suggest she take a test...

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok, perhaps I'm just seeing the personal, intimate side of an ISTP the first time :) Otherwise, nothing much to not think of her as an ISTP, though.

She hated the idea of personality types when hearing about it the first time.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll toss my vote in for ISTP, too. She seems a whole lot like me (maybe more well-balanced, though :D).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Me thinks an ISTP!

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm going with ISFP here. Fi seems like her dominant. Her T/F behavior reminds me a lot of my sister (INFJ), who uses Fi more than any other function.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Thanks! ISXP it is, and I gave some thought for the ISFP. She isn't more T when withdrawn in some public situations, she's just less of everything ;) But but but she seems very much influenced by her feelings, as evidenced today and yesterday .. but so were I. It's difficult to find out how a T is influenced by feelings and F by rationality.

I shouldn't have been so direct so as to describe her T/F preference, as that's exactly the thing I'm trying to determine. I'm bringing an error to this judgment. OK. So I should describe observations instead.

I'm thinking if I've already decided her as F or T, but I haven't :rolleyes:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it helps, I am very very F when it comes to romantic relationships and associated decisions...but in life in general, I'm definitely T. Maybe it's a girl thing, or just a quirk, I don't know. I'd still call myself a T. :) So just keep it in mind to look at how she makes more objective decisions as well.

Also, I find the general feel of an ISTP is very very different from ISFP (I have a few friends of both types). Ti-dom vs Fi-dom. The ISFPs are way more flakey and fun-seeking while the ISTPs seem more grounded (I'm biased though, of course :D)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If it helps, I am very very F when it comes to romantic relationships and associated decisions...but in life in general, I'm definitely T. Maybe it's a girl thing, or just a quirk, I don't know. I'd still call myself a T. :) So just keep it in mind to look at how she makes more objective decisions as well.

Also, I find the general feel of an ISTP is very very different from ISFP (I have a few friends of both types). Ti-dom vs Fi-dom. The ISFPs are way more flakey and fun-seeking while the ISTPs seem more grounded (I'm biased though, of course :D)

Sounds sensible. I'd think of ISTP then :) It's hard to think of a person who wouldn't get their F up when falling in love ;) Yeah she's a grounded person and not flakey at all, tho values influence her decisions a lot.. like volunteering her time for some environmental causes, and of course deciding with feelings about whom to spend some time with ;)

But, having a balance of T and F is more like a norm, not an exception. ISTP sounds believable. With high Fi and low Fe (I think) her functions just don't follow the pattern. No biggie tho. Person's two first functions determine their type, and others may or may not follow the theoretical model.