User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Question I'm confused by the relationship between cognitive functions and the four letter type

I have been trying to decide upon my type for a while now, and have a few threads on the matter. In one of those threads where I was debating upon whether I was an INTP or INFP someone suggested that I decide based on what cognitive functions came naturally to me rather than MBTI tests or type descriptions...

Anyways, I am almost positive that my two most used functions are introverted feeling and extraverted intuition. This aligns with the type of INFP apparently. However, I identify very little with the common descriptions of an INFP.

Is this kind of contradiction common? Does this mean I actually am an INFP despite not identifying with the type descriptions?

I don't have a good understanding of the Myers-Briggs or whatever so clarification from someone who understands it a bit better would be appreciated.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Not relating to the type descriptions is very common because: 1. They were written in relation to Myeres-Briggs dichotomy types, thus not based off of Jung's functions, and 2. They're written more like shitty stereotypes (i.e.: all INFP's are fluffy bunnies who suck at logic, INTP's are lazy genius nerds, INTJ's are virgin chessmasters, etc.).

My advice, ignore Myeres-Briggs completely, and don't over-analyze descriptions, rather just focus on what function you use.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

What is it that you don't relate to in the INFP descriptions?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    What is it that you don't relate to in the INFP descriptions?
    Pfft, when it comes to most of them I pretty much don't relate to anything... Well, it seems that way sometimes.

To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive. In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh. I'm, unfortunately, one of the most paranoid, cold, cynical people you will meet. Finally depending on how you look at it the whole "do the right thing" theme I often object to. I do what feels right for me, unfortunately, this is not always what would be considered ethical, or for that matter, even moral... Oh, and I get irritated pretty easily.

However, there is this one description that is kind of an anomaly...
    http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html
    In that one there are only one or two things that I don't identify with...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Pfft, when it comes to most of them I pretty much don't relate to anything... Well, it seems that way sometimes.

To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive. In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh. I'm, unfortunately, one of the most paranoid, cold, cynical people you will meet. Finally depending on how you look at it the whole "do the right thing" theme I often object to. I do what feels right for me, unfortunately, this is not always what would be considered ethical, or for that matter, even moral... Oh, and I get irritated pretty easily.

However, there is this one description that is kind of an anomaly...
    http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html
    In that one there are only one or two things that I don't identify with...
    Maybe you're INTJ 4 (Or possibly a Ni-Fi INTJ)? I mean INTJ 4 can look very INFP-ish in some ways (I should seeing as how I mistyped myself as INFP, although it's not impossible that I am INFP).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Maybe you're INTJ 4 (Or possibly a Ni-Fi INTJ)? I mean INTJ 4 can look very INFP-ish in some ways (I should seeing as how I mistyped myself as INFP, although it's not impossible that I am INFP).
    Now I'm even more confused...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Now I'm even more confused...
    Yep, that's bound to occur.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Actually, I can't figure out why that got to me, even for a bit. I'm not remotely J (At least I don't think I am...), so INTJ is kind of unlikely... Not to mention the fact that introverted intuition and extraverted thinking are among my less used processes, and the fact that I never test as INTJ... I guess I'm just easily thrown... Stop messing with me! *sigh* This whole thing is getting on my nerves...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Actually, I can't figure out why that got to me, even for a bit. I'm not remotely J, so INTJ is kind of unlikely... Not to mention the fact that introverted intuition and extraverted thinking are among my weaker processes, and the fact that I never test as INTJ... I guess I'm just easily thrown... Stop messing with me!*sigh* This whole thing is getting on my nerves...
    Don't fret too much over typing yourself, it's not really worth the intricate effort if all it does is lead to confusion and frustration. If Fi is your strongest function followed by Ne, then your INFP, regardless of what the descriptions say; just remember that like types, the descriptions themselves are completely man-made constructs, and thus aren't objectively real.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Also, welcome to the forums