• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm confused by the relationship between cognitive functions and the four letter type

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, Fi is just about values... What you value/ good and bad, how you apply it is entirely up to the user.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually searched for a better example of a cognitive functions test result for me, and found this one which is a bit more conclusive.

I really don't know why I posted that other one, it was kind of one of those "What?!" results that I usually retest because it seems so out there...

This one even kind of explains why I tested as INTP from time to time (at least I think it does).

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually searched for a better example of a cognitive functions test result for me, and found this one which is a bit more conclusive.

I really don't know why I posted that other one, it was kind of one of those "What?!" results that I usually retest because it seems so out there...

Wow... now I know who to call with help with my feeling-decisions :D

This one even kind of explains why I tested as INTP from time to time (at least I think it does).

Where are you seeing that?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow... now I know who to call with help with my feeling-decisions :D

Well, I'm good with staying true to, and relying upon, my own feelings, other people's... not so much. :)

Where are you seeing that?
The fact that it shows Ti as one of my higher functions, back when I was on mood stabilizers my feelings weren't exactly reliable so it would have meant I relied more on Ti wouldn't it? I don't know, I don't fully understand this stuff yet so I may just be guessing...

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The fact that it shows Ti as one of my higher functions,

Okay, yeah I suppose it is, but it's still less than half of what you marked for Fi...

back when I was on mood stabilizers my feelings weren't exactly reliable so it would have meant I relied more on Ti wouldn't it? I don't know, I don't fully understand this stuff yet so I may just be guessing...

Not really.... because Fi isn't really about the actual experiencing of emotions. It's not "just guessing" it's just kind of hard to understand.... I would try to explain it better but I don't understand it much either

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really.... because Fi isn't really about the actual experiencing of emotions. It's not "just guessing" it's just kind of hard to understand.... I would try to explain it better but I don't understand it much either

Oh well... Like I said, I don't really understand it. I kind of feel like I'm wasting my (and other people's) time here anyway, because of how I seem to think. While INFP and INTP are my common results, if you were to include all of the results I have ever tested I would literally be an XXXX... Even which cognitive functions I use seems to change with my mood, albeit not quite as drastically as my type...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your not alone in your doubts.
Yes, I do not believe you are an INTJ MBTI-wise or Jungian psychological types-wise. You also do not show introversion well enough for the order to work in the way you believe it may work. You have not yet presented any significant deal of Ni in difference to Ne.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't consider MBTI to be separate from cognitive functions at all really since that is originally what it was based on - the ordering of cognitive functions that you have. It got simplified/bastardized for the masses in later books, but the origin was with Jung's work. You can see this if you read Gifts Differing carefully.
Good advice. Gifts Differing is what I usually recommend if someone wants an introduction to MBTI. It explains the history and origins of the theory, is relatively short and very readable.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This brings up a good question: does anyone past the age of 16 truly have a very weak or unused aux. function?

I wouldn't see why not; the psychology of people still developes and changes over thier life.

Yes, I do not believe you are an INTJ MBTI-wise or Jungian psychological types-wise. You also do not show introversion well enough for the order to work in the way you believe it may work. You have not yet presented any significant deal of Ni in difference to Ne.

It is possible that I have just mis-typed myself as usual; that really I'm ENFP (N dom with good Fi+Te), ISFP (Fi+Ni loop), or simply just INFP.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive. In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh.
These tests and anecdotes often describe the type examples assuming the person to be optimistic, altruistic, happy, etc., because a lot of people reading these just want to hear nice things about themselves, so best to make it sound nice. However, if the assumption is false, then obviously the description is inaccurate. Anyone (INFPs, ESTJs, ENTPs, anyone) can be pessimistic, misanthropic, unhappy, etc.

So there are theoretically descriptions that could be written for the Dark Side of the INFP, while still being just as INFP as the Bright Side. No MBTI letters or type functions are inherently happy or good-natured.

On MBTI vs. Type functions: They are kind of two separate theories, even though based on the same ideas, so it is possible for you to "accept" one theory while rejecting the other theory. Many people prefer one over the other; others prefer a reconciled combination of the two.

Last edited:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These tests and anecdotes often describe the type examples assuming the person to be optimistic, altruistic, happy, etc., because a lot of people reading these just want to hear nice things about themselves, so best to make it sound nice. However, if the assumption is false, then obviously the description is inaccurate. Anyone (INFPs, ESTJs, ENTPs, anyone) can be pessimistic, misanthropic, unhappy, etc.

So there are theoretically descriptions that could be written for the Dark Side of the INFP, while still being just as INFP as the Bright Side. No MBTI letters or type functions are inherently happy or good-natured.

On MBTI vs. Type functions: They are kind of two separate theories, even though based on the same ideas, so it is possible for you to "accept" one theory while rejecting the other theory. Many people prefer one over the other; others prefer a reconciled combination of the two.

I kind of suspected the whole, looking at the most optimistic example possible, thing when it came to the descriptions. It's nice to see my assumption confirmed by others.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been trying to decide upon my type for a while now, and have a few threads on the matter. In one of those threads where I was debating upon whether I was an INTP or INFP someone suggested that I decide based on what cognitive functions came naturally to me rather than MBTI tests or type descriptions...

Anyways, I am almost positive that my two most used functions are introverted feeling and extraverted intuition. This aligns with the type of INFP apparently. However, I identify very little with the common descriptions of an INFP.

Is this kind of contradiction common? Does this mean I actually am an INFP despite not identifying with the type descriptions?

I don't have a good understanding of the Myers-Briggs or whatever so clarification from someone who understands it a bit better would be appreciated.

Are these internet type-descriptions of the INFP? Those are very sketchy and these days often dominated by "function talk."

The older and original MBTI does not sound like internet descriptions of types. I'm going to select some text at random from a book I have with me, just one paragraph about the INFP. You can decide how well it fits you personally.

"INFPs decide early on what is important to them, what is of value. They tend to rely on themselves for direction and are reticent to ask others for help. They would rather do things themselves, to make sure they are done properly. INFPs have found this to be both a strength and a curse. Depending only on themselves and being careful not to show mistakes to others is important. One INFP child was curious about the meaning of the D.C. in Washington, D.C. She was sure that everyone else knew and that she should know also. Having grown up in Brooklyn, she pondered a while and then decided D.C. means "Da Capitol."

So what do you think? Does that describe you at all? Not in the details but just regarding the self-reliance aspect.

I've noticed that INFPs have the greatest problem with self-identifying type. ENFPs are a close second.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are these internet type-descriptions of the INFP? Those are very sketchy and these days often dominated by "function talk."

The older and original MBTI does not sound like internet descriptions of types. I'm going to select some text at random from a book I have with me, just one paragraph about the INFP. You can decide how well it fits you personally.

"INFPs decide early on what is important to them, what is of value. They tend to rely on themselves for direction and are reticent to ask others for help. They would rather do things themselves, to make sure they are done properly. INFPs have found this to be both a strength and a curse. Depending only on themselves and being careful not to show mistakes to others is important. One INFP child was curious about the meaning of the D.C. in Washington, D.C. She was sure that everyone else knew and that she should know also. Having grown up in Brooklyn, she pondered a while and then decided D.C. means "Da Capitol."

So what do you think? Does that describe you at all? Not in the details but just regarding the self-reliance aspect.

I've noticed that INFPs have the greatest problem with self-identifying type. ENFPs are a close second.

Hah, yes, I am referring to the internet descriptions.

And that paragraph was actually a lot closer to me than most of the ones I have read online. Maybe I should go out and get a book about them rather than relying on the web. :shrug:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Self reliance is only for INFPs? :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hah, yes, I am referring to the internet descriptions.

And that paragraph was actually a lot closer to me than most of the ones I have read online. Maybe I should go out and get a book about them rather than relying on the web. :shrug:

The web is highly unreliable, and that includes this forum as well as the other typology forums. Yes, that includes me too, when discussing functions and MBTI together, as if they were the same thing. I only do it to get along with others around these parts. It is much better to keep the two theories separate. With functions we end up talking in highly abstract terms, as you've seen. Fi or Ti dom = tertiary Si, blah blah. There's no reality left.

The quote I gave came from LifeTypes.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Self reliance is only for INFPs? :shrug:

The quote does not use the term "self-reliance." But let's assume that ALL Introverts like to "do things for themselves." In that case, every Introverted profile should indicate this, in the context of their other interests. INFPs figure out their own values; INTPs like to figure out their own ideas; ISTJs like to figure out their own strategies; etc.

Now you will say, "Extraverts don't like to do things for themselves?" But it's just an assumption to be judged as such.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The quote does not use the term "self-reliance." But let's assume that ALL Introverts like to "do things for themselves." In that case, every Introverted profile should indicate this, in the context of their other interests. INFPs figure out their own values; INTPs like to figure out their own ideas; ISTJs like to figure out their own strategies; etc.

Now you will say, "Extraverts don't like to do things for themselves?" But it's just an assumption to be judged as such.

You used the term "self-reliance," and asked how well Tyrinth related to the description on that aspect alone, which kind of suggests that you think it has some relevance to being INFP or not.... this is what I wanted to explore.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You used the term "self-reliance," and asked how well Tyrinth related to the description on that aspect alone, which kind of suggests that you think it has some relevance to being INFP or not.... this is what I wanted to explore.

"Self-reliance" isn't the best way to put it, and that's not what the description said. Here's a snippet from the ISTJ description at http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTJ.html :

"The ISTJ will work for long periods of time and put tremendous amounts of energy into doing any task which they see as important to fulfilling a goal. However, they will resist putting energy into things which don't make sense to them, or for which they can't see a practical application. They prefer to work alone, but work well in teams when the situation demands it. They like to be accountable for their actions, and enjoy being in positions of authority."

Self-reliance has a meaning specific to the ISTJ's particular value-system.