User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default New member. Could you help me to type me in?

Well, first of all, hello to everybody; I'm new in here (and sorry if some of my expressions sound strange; I'm not English-speaking).

A book about enneagram has recently come to my hands and I have some doubts that I'd like to resolve. When reading the book I identified myself strongly with type 5, and my mother also identified me as a 5, almost immediately. All the tests I've made say clearly that I'm a 5, but there's still some aspects that don't seem to fit well.

On the one hand, I'm indeed a cold and detached person, that always keeps the distances; I don't like others seeing too much of my inner self. My emotions aren't usually strong, I mean, I don't seem to feel as happy or as sad as other people do. For me it's awkward when I see people crying, and I'm not good at comforting them. I get the impression that people come to me seeking objective opinions rather than warmth or sympathy.
    I've got also the compulsion to live as austere as I can, because I see material needs as weaknesses; I don't buy anything that I don't need, and I don't throw away anything that could be useful someday.

But on the other hand, nobody who really knows me would say that I'm passive, quiet or gentle. I've got a quick-temper, I've got problems controlling my anger, and whenever I feel I'm being attacked (and that's often) I react with aggression (unless I feel very insecure and outnumbered). I've had problems with people because of this attitude.
    In social groups I usually stay silent or laconic, although that's rather out of boredom or indifference than shyness. But as soon an interesting or polemic topic arises, I tend to strongly defend my opinions. I recognize that I'm pretty dogmatic and intolerant sometimes, and I see things as correct/incorrect as long as they agree with my point of view.
    Other thing that makes me doubt I'm a 5 is the fact that I'm not interested in science at all. I absolutely hate maths and everything that has to do with numbers. My natural talents have always been story-writing and drawing; with numbers I'm pretty mediocre, even incompetent.

So, do you think these characteristics are compatible with types 5?, or have I mistyped me?

Thank you very much for reading until here and for your help.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think you could be a type 5. Probably a 5 with a strong connection to type 8. Interest in a science and math is one of those stereotypical type 5 things that isn't going to fit all 5s. Plently of 5's have no interest in math/science.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    IxFP

I guess 5w6 with 8 as your trifix
    5s can be quiet aggresive too.

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski

Enneagram tyes aren't going to identify every little behavioural quirk you have, they're only mentioned to help illustrate how the unconscious fixations may express themselves. They certainly don't determine your interests or hobbies, no more than they determine what your friends are like or what colour hair you have.

You sound just like a 5 - you're intellectually competent, you don't ask for much, and you pride yourself for it. However, placing your stakes in the world emotionally feels scary and risky and chaotic - so you stick to your thoughts and ideas, staying on the sidelines instead of finding the strength to fully commit to life. This is step one.
    Hello

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

sp/so e89? Whether s/he actually does or not, 8s will jump right into how quickly s/he is to temper, whereas 5s (apart from nutso sx/sps) tend not to.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Thanks for the answers, that helped me to finally confirm what I suspected.

I think I'll settle with a 5w4 (the descriptions of 5w6 just don't seem so familiar to me). As for the instinctual type, is sexual for sure. Trifix...mmm, probably 5-4-8.
    There must be an 8 somewhere in the mix, but I can't be just an 8; I don't fit in the general picture. The problem is that, trying to look back at my reactions in the past, I'm not sure how angry or hostile I really was; maybe more than I think, maybe less? Memories become distorted after a while...

Well, it seems that fixing me wasn't so difficult after all. Trascending the fixation....now that's a different problem.
    Just another question: is it really type 5 so uncommon among women? I'm a girl, and I saw somewhere a graphic that showed that 5's were the rarest type among women, although 2's were the rarest among men. Why is that? Different education during childhood?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by taylor17387 View Post
    Well, first of all, hello to everybody; I'm new in here (and sorry if some of my expressions sound strange; I'm not English-speaking).

A book about enneagram has recently come to my hands and I have some doubts that I'd like to resolve. When reading the book I identified myself strongly with type 5, and my mother also identified me as a 5, almost immediately. All the tests I've made say clearly that I'm a 5, but there's still some aspects that don't seem to fit well.

On the one hand, I'm indeed a cold and detached person, that always keeps the distances; I don't like others seeing too much of my inner self. My emotions aren't usually strong, I mean, I don't seem to feel as happy or as sad as other people do. For me it's awkward when I see people crying, and I'm not good at comforting them. I get the impression that people come to me seeking objective opinions rather than warmth or sympathy.
    I've got also the compulsion to live as austere as I can, because I see material needs as weaknesses; I don't buy anything that I don't need, and I don't throw away anything that could be useful someday.

But on the other hand, nobody who really knows me would say that I'm passive, quiet or gentle. I've got a quick-temper, I've got problems controlling my anger, and whenever I feel I'm being attacked (and that's often) I react with aggression (unless I feel very insecure and outnumbered). I've had problems with people because of this attitude.
    In social groups I usually stay silent or laconic, although that's rather out of boredom or indifference than shyness. But as soon an interesting or polemic topic arises, I tend to strongly defend my opinions. I recognize that I'm pretty dogmatic and intolerant sometimes, and I see things as correct/incorrect as long as they agree with my point of view.
    Other thing that makes me doubt I'm a 5 is the fact that I'm not interested in science at all. I absolutely hate maths and everything that has to do with numbers. My natural talents have always been story-writing and drawing; with numbers I'm pretty mediocre, even incompetent.

So, do you think these characteristics are compatible with types 5?, or have I mistyped me?

Thank you very much for reading until here and for your help.
    you sound like a Self Preservation 8 or 5 (can't tell your wing or second strongest instinct) but I'll have to read more of your posts to be more certain
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IxFP

Thanks for the answers, that helped me to finally confirm what I suspected.

I think I'll settle with a 5w4 (the descriptions of 5w6 just don't seem so familiar to me). As for the instinctual type, is sexual for sure. Trifix...mmm, probably 5-4-8.
    I saw a lot of counterphobic 6 in your first post...
    Sx 5w6 are the most commonly mistyped as 5w4

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Richardsen View Post
    I saw a lot of counterphobic 6 in your first post...
    Sx 5w6 are the most commonly mistyped as 5w4
    Oh. Then I'm not sure...What are the major differences between 5w6 and 5w4?

And another question: Is it possible for somebody to be permanently in the middle of a line instead of being in one point? Or the person only moves along a line in certain situations, when stressed or secure?

Oh. Then I'm not sure...What are the major differences between 5w6 and 5w4?

And another question: Is it possible for somebody to be permanently in the middle of a line instead of being in one point? Or the person only moves along a line in certain situations, when stressed or secure?
    My honest opinion: the wings are far too arbitrary to take seriously (they're only derived from how the types sit in relation to each other on the enneagram shape itself), so don't get caught up in them too much.
    Hello